Adjustments For Rycon's Powers...

Starsign

I was talking with Shaen yesterday, and I found Rycon having a terrible power set. I originally designed with two attack types, one for multiple enemies, and another for more durable opponents (I was completely clueless about the tradeoff system, so I had little idea what I was doing) After seeing how that wouldn't work, I was thinking of rearranging her powers from this:

Device 4 (Trench Coat Equipment, 19/20pp; Hard to lose) [16pp]

Blast 4 (Throwing Knife; Feats: Accurate 2, Split Attack, Extras Autofire) [15pp]

Protection 4 (Steel-Lined Coat) [4pp]

Electrical Control 6 (Shock; Alternate Power) [13pp]

AP: Teleport 10 (Atom Travel; 1000ft move action, 200000 miles full action; Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity; Flaw: Medium [Electrical Devices]) [12pp]

Immunity 1 (Sleep) [1pp]

To something more like this to reflect her style of play better:

Device 2 (Trench Coat Equipment, 8/10pp; Hard to lose) [8pp]

Invisibility 2 [4pp]

Electricity Array 10 [22pp]

BE: Electrical Control 4 (Autofire, Accurate 3) [20pp]

AP: Teleport 10(Atom Travel; 1000ft move action, 200000 miles full action; Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity; Flaw: Medium [Electrical Devices]) [1pp]

AP: Absorption 6 (Energy; Boost-Dexterity; Energy Storage, Power Magnet; Limited-Electricity; Personal) [1pp]

Immunity 1 (Sleep) [1pp]

Due to the higher cost, I will have to change other parts, but I feel that this would suit Rycon better. (I designed her with stealth in mind) Any thoughts/ideas/criticisms are welcome.

Looks to be just 1pp difference. The first set is 30pp (16 for the Device/Coat, 13 for the Electrical Control, 1 for the Immunity), second set is 31 (8 for the Device/Coat, 22 for the Electrical Control, 1 for the Immunity).

Can you think of 1pp worth of stuff you could free up now to make room for it?

Yeah, I can remove my climb skill as I won't likely have a need for that. Now how about the powers? are they good, will they need any questioning? Perhaps I should have Paralyze as a way of getting past defense?

Also, I will be changing the feats on Rycon to better supplement her as a stealth fighter, which is what I should've originally intended her to be.

Alright, here's what will change with Rycon:

Before:

Feats: 16pp

Acrobatic Bluff

Attack Focus (ranged) 2

Dodge Focus 2

Eidetic Memory

Elusive Target

Evasion 2

Hide In Plain Sight

Improved Initiative 2

Luck 2

Power Attack

Second Chance (Snare)

After:

Feats: 14pp

Acrobatic Bluff

Dodge Focus 2

Eidetic Memory

Elusive Target

Evasion 2

Hide In Plain Sight

Improved Initiative 2

Luck 2

Power Attack

Second Chance (Snare)

Sneak Attack 2

Before:

Powers [30pp]

Device 4 (Trench Coat Equipment, 19/20pp; Hard to lose) [16pp]

Blast 4 (Throwing Knife; Feats: Accurate 2, Split Attack, Extras Autofire) [15pp]

Electrical Control 6 (Shock; Alternate Power) [13pp]

AP: Teleport 10 (Atom Travel; 1000ft move action, 200000 miles full action; Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity; Flaw: Medium [Electrical Devices]) [12pp]

Immunity 1 (Sleep) [1pp]

After:

Powers [30pp]

Device 2 (Trench Coat Equipment, 8/10pp; Hard to lose) [8pp]

Invisibility 2 (insert-device-name-here, Total concealment from normal vision) [4pp]

Brain Electricity Array (20 Power Points, 2 Alternate Powers) [22pp]

BE: Electrical Control 4 (Shock Bullet; Feats: Accurate 3, Incurable, Homing 4; Extras: Autofire)

AP: Paralyze 4 (Mind Disjunction; Feats: Accurate 3; Extras: Autofire 2) [19pp]

AP: Teleport 18 (Atom Travel; 1800ft move action, anywhere in the same galaxy full action; Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity; Flaw: Medium [Electrical Devices]) [20pp]

That's not really an answer to my question. And she already has Homing 4 (10 re-tries), you could only trade in the Incurable for one more rank in Homing, to Homing 5 (25 re-tries).

How about trading in the Incurable and one rank of the Homing (dropping to Homing 3, 5 re-tries) and gain Affects Insubstantial 2? You've said her powers are tied to some entity in her mind, it could be adding a bit of psychic juice to her brain-bolts so they can hit targets that are insubstantial.

Oh, for Incurable, I wanted to be able to find a way to counteract the Regeneration power as Rycon's Blast skill is her only way of damage (she could try punching, but...).

And about the homing power feat... Geez (or Shaen, one of them) has stated that anything beyond Homing 2 is a bit excessive. I already have changes to Rycon on her sheet if you want to check. She only has Homing 1, but I may give her Homing 2 once the pp rewards are in.

And the whole "entity in her mind thing"... Maybe I should have been more specific about it. (you aren't supposed to spoil it btw)

Oh, for Incurable, I wanted to be able to find a way to counteract the Regeneration power as Rycon's Blast skill is her only way of damage (she could try punching, but...).

That's not an in-game reason (which is what I'm looking for), that's an out-of-game powergamer reason.

And about the homing power feat... Geez (or Shaen, one of them) has stated that anything beyond Homing 2 is a bit excessive. I already have changes to Rycon on her sheet if you want to check. She only has Homing 1, but I may give her Homing 2 once the pp rewards are in.

Ah, so it does. Sorry, I was looking at the new version you have in this thread, which has Homing 4

And the whole "entity in her mind thing"... Maybe I should have been more specific about it. (you aren't supposed to spoil it btw)

:oops: Sorry, I thought you'd already mentioned that aloud, at least OOC.

They're already energy, so technically they can hit insubstantial enemies

Not Insubstantial 4 (not damaged by any physical or energy, except for one "common descriptor"), unless the target has electricity as the "common descriptor" that still affects them. And not Insubstantial 3 (damaged by all energy except what you're made of) if it's an electrical energy form.

That's not an in-game reason (which is what I'm looking for), that's an out-of-game powergamer reason.

Oh, whoops.

The in-game reason is that Rycon's electricity powers develop as her life goes on. Aside from the more damage her attacks do and the new powers she gains, she learns that her powers have a sort of ability that feels natural to her. (like in this case, Incurable) Because she doesn't hold back in the severity of her blows, her electricity attacks cleave through bodies more than usual, with a type of energy that is hard to remove aside from time. With practice, Rycon can try another ability with her powers that she will feel natural with, but will make the other, previous ability much more difficult to use, making it unreliable. Because of this, Rycon prefers to only change the 'ability' when she feels that she needs to.

Is that a good enough example?

The in-game reason is that Rycon's electricity powers develop as her life goes on. Aside from the more damage her attacks do and the new powers she gains, she learns that her powers have a sort of ability that feels natural to her. (like in this case, Incurable) Because she doesn't hold back in the severity of her blows, her electricity attacks cleave through bodies more than usual, with a type of energy that is hard to remove aside from time. With practice, Rycon can try another ability with her powers that she will feel natural with, but will make the other, previous ability much more difficult to use, making it unreliable. Because of this, Rycon prefers to only change the 'ability' when she feels that she needs to.

That is the Full Power drawback.

That's generally something we don't like seeing. And since her revised powers are due to the surgery she got from Doktor Archeville, it's not something he'd leave in her, either.

Oh... crap.

Hmm... do you know of another alternative then? I plan for Rycon to get rid of that feat (through Character Development, she didn't like what she did to Geckoman) in exchange for something more suitable for the setting. So if the description I gave will not work, does anyone have any ideas for an in-game reason then? (I'll try to think of one in the meantime)