Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition Announced

Am I the only one uneasy about how much they're emphasizing how similar 2E and 3E are going to be? Okay, M&M is great and I don't want to see big, sweeping changes, but I'm wondering why I have to pay 20-40 bucks for a new book if the changes are going to be so minor.

but I'm wondering why I have to pay 20-40 bucks for a new book if the changes are going to be so minor.

Good news! You don't have to buy anything. Your 2e books will keep right on working forever! :D

Also, if there are setting/splat/stat books put out in the 3e line that you want, 3e's similarity to 2e will make it incredibly easy for you to covert back to 2e should you be so inclined. :)

Also . . .

dcadventures_cover-202x300.jpg

Me like. :D

If the editions are too similar, players will whine because they shouldn't have to buy the whole game all over again.

If the editions are too different, players will whine because they shouldn't have to buy the whole game all over again.

This is not a game any RPG designer has ever been able to win in the history of gaming. Not in the short term, anyway. With rare exception, in the long term, everyone comes to love the changes that were made with the new edition, the sky does not fall, and a year later no one can even remember the prophecies of doom and gloom.

Like the nameless narrator, the players will whine and complain, and like Tyler Durden, Steve Kenson will drag them kicking and screaming to where they need to go, and eventually, they will thank him for it.

... thank Durden? He shot him!

After pretty much going along with everything he ever said or did, and reaping the benefits.

But haven't we already established that Kenson has no idea what he's doing when it comes to the creation if a smoothly functioning RPG system?

I couldn't disagree more. I think M&M runs more smoothly than any other RPG I've ever played. It just has a few rough spots.

But haven't we already established that Kenson has no idea what he's doing when it comes to the creation if a smoothly functioning RPG system?

I agree with Shaen on this; just because he doesn't know how to make characters using the system doesn't mean the system he created was bad. I guess he just doesn't know how to optimize worth a damn. :)

• 3 weeks later...

What I took away from the podcast:

DC books are hardcover, standard M&M books are soft cover, at least for their first printing.

In core 3E book, some art is reused, but they are thinking of using new art for the book, maybe not including Freedom City characters in the book.

Freedom City changing a bit, taking it in new directions. Mum on what those changes are. Details won't like come out until next year. :argh:

3E rules are coming out: DC books at Gen Con, 3E itself out in the fall. 3rd party people publish after January.

Zantanna's build was done by Kenson, as were all the characters [insert giant "NOOOOOOOOO" here]. She's got a standard magic array rather than a VP. Using HP/EE for stunting effects is still in the game *whew*

Feats = Advantages now. Just term change. They're more like utilities and such. No major changes. There's still Power Attack, Defensive Attack, etc.

2d10 instead of d20 system was toyed with, but then tossed.

Skills, changed more than Feats. Skill list has been pruned.

Grappling, now a "grab manuever". Apparently more "stream lined".

Powers, they apparently learned that linking powers is actually a smart idea, and you can slap a descriptor on something to put a bunch of effects under one umbrella. Ie: GL's Force Field & Immunity. You know, what we've been doing for years now. [/gets off the soap box before he gets going]

Wonder Woman's build has the plane, lasso = Move Object Linked "Affliction".

Beardless, 2 fisted Aquaman is apparently the one they've got. I still say Aquaham is better.

300 stat blocks in Hero and Villain book, there are also write ups to make a character it into a certain version of them. Barry Allen is the Flash, though stat wise he is mechanically the same to Wally West. 4 different GL's and an entry for the Core itself.

Default PL is still 10. Still 15pp/PL.

Conversion shouldn't be too hard.

A Marvel book is highly questionable, several years later, if it happens at all.

One of the DC books goes into depth for many of the different Universes. Maybe a shout out to Watchmen?

Complications are now part of character creation. Duh. One time bonus point effects are gone.

Drawbacks such as Vulnerability are gone, replaced with Complications.

At the table play feels the same, but Complications come in far more often. Apparently the designers realize how important they are to the system. :facedesk:

Black Avenger Appears!

Because you demanded it, Black Avenger is finally making his M&M debut! Not once, but twice!

With the cat out of the bag on the new edition of M&M and with the demand for a write-up of Black Avenger (who was left out of Silver Age), we decided to write him up as he should have appeared in Silver Age... and write him up for M&M3!

He also makes a nice counterpoint to the much more powerful preview that went up on the DC Adventures site yesterday.

Enjoy!

BlackAvenger2e.pdf

BlackAvenger3e.pdf

Posted by JonL at 7:09 PM

M&M3 Random Character Creator Poll

Would you like an optional random character creation system for M&M third edition?

Poll runs till Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:46 pm

[*]Yes! I would like such a system and would buy a product that included it.

[*]Yes! I would like such a system, but I'd rather have it as a PDF or as an online application rather than in print.

[*]No, I would not like such a system, but might still buy a product that included it, depending on the rest of the content.

[*]No, I would not like such a system, and would not buy a product that included it.

[*]Other. Or, I am a precious and unique snowflake who's answer falls outside your limited options above. I can only explain by posting my answer in the forum.

... bah.

It seems that Steve's been posting on another forum. For the rest of you to peruse.

I assume the immobilized & defenseless part is what Wonder Woman's using with her lasso from the podcast.

The original question was about someone wanting an aura that when people touched them the people would stick to them and become entrapped.

Hm, this [Reaction (being touched)] seems to imply that Aura is gone as a separate Extra, replaced by a properly defined Reaction.
  • 2 weeks later...

Gamer’s Haven Special Edition – An Interview with Jon Leitheusser

Ethan found himself talking with Jon Leitheusser, the Mutants & Masterminds line developer over at Green Ronin at length about the new Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition and the DC Adventures RPG. Jon let a few things slip out that we can expect to see from Green Ronin, and dropped a few breadcrumbs concerning the future of M&M …

Also:

That's pretty close to the complete list. There's only one skill missing: Technology.

Amongst other things, yes.

It does, doesn't it? 8-)