What Is Essential... (IC) (OPEN)

April

Date: 10 May 2010

Eve stared out the darkly tinted windows at the main entrance to Claremont Academy, lost in thought, stomach knotted with emotion [Anxiety/Curiosity]. A week ago she was still home in Orléans, France packing for her transatlantic flight. Less than a week ago her brother Nicholas introduced her to a man named Duncan Summers. And now she was here.

“Eve?â€

Eve frowned a moment, the sound of her name jarring her thoughts back to the present.

“Eve?â€

She turned away from the window and glanced at the man sitting across from her. Blond hair, green eyes and an easy smile, Nicholas Martel was the brother she barely knew and yet she could see faint hint of concern etched on his face.

--Yes Nick?—

“You’re worrying again. Just relax, everything will be fine. Besides, Faith is here so you shouldn’t have any problems meeting people.â€

Nicholas’s words had the effect he was looking for as he felt the anxiety fade from Eve until only the sense of curiosity remained, which soon vanished as well as she brought her emotion under control. Nick smiled, and tapped a knuckle against the window glass, “Off you go, then. I’ll send someone by later with the rest of your clothing.â€

Eve sighed and stepped out of the car as her door was opened by the driver. Turning back to glance at her brother, she smiled. --Thank you for coming, Nick.—

“Of course. Oh, tell Faith that dinner Sunday will be at my place, will you?â€

Eve nodded at Nicholas while accepting her bag that the driver retrieved from the trunk of the car. She smiled at the driver and inclined her head before settling the bag over her shoulder and striding off toward the Academy. She didn’t look back.

Lying on her back in the grass near the entrance Aiko looks up from the copy of Azumanga Daioh: Hoshuu-hen she'd been reading as the car pulls away. As she spends a moment regarding the new arrival her mind shifts gear. I need to try and be more social. Might as well provide some assistance while doing so. Effortlessly vaulting to her feet the gynoid makes her way to greet the pale haired woman. "Greetings." Karakuri begins, doing a short bow as she talks. "My name is Karakuri Aiko. May I be of assistance?" "Be polite, remember that services is offered rather than demanded here.

Eve set her bag down a moment as she regarded the sapphire-haired [surprise/Interest] woman. "I was told there would be some surprises," she thought, admonishing herself [irritation]. "Get it under control." Eve nodded at Aiko, holding up her right hand with the index finger extended. Eyebrows furrowed, Eve twitched her index finger side to side then brings both hands forward, fingers curled in an "O" shape, right in front of the left and spreads them shoulder-width apart.*

* Eve is asking "Where is the office?"

Huh? Oh, I hope she's just mute and not deaf as well. While Eve's emotional radiation was picked up by Aiko the gynoids nature meant it was faint enough that it kinda blended into what she felt herself. "Ah, I am sorry; I am not proficient in any sign language. Perhaps I should Summer-sama's office?"

Eve shrugged and picked up her bag, slinging it over her shoulder. Smiling at Aiko, Eve inclined her head in the direction of the main entrance and quirked an eyebrow. --Shall we?-- she asked, directing the thought at Aiko. --Oh! I'm Eve, Eve Martel. It is a pleasure meeting you Karakuri Aiko.--

The moment Eve's words enter Aiko's head she looks at first puzzled. It's faint, but could it be... Then she looks stunned, absolutely poleaxed in fact. Her eyes mist up as the gynoid's mind rushes through the implications. After a few moments of standing in a daze the blue haired one suddenly grabs Martel in a powerful embrace. "Thank you! Thank you." She cries into the white hair of the shorter woman. "Ah, I am sorry Martel-san. I will explain what I mean by that on the way." The gynoid releases the young psionic as she apologises, now a smile is quite evident on her face despite the damp. Before anything else can delay them Aiko starts off towards the main entrance, making sure not to go any faster than Eve seems comfortable with.

A puzzled expression on her face, Eve followed Aiko by her side. "Not quite the reaction I was expecting," Eve thought to herself, casting a surreptitious glance at the blue haired girl.

--It's quite alright, Aiko,-- Sage thought to the gynoid. --In truth I'm a little surprised by your reaction, and it's why I was signing in the first place. I've heard that most people are uncomfortable around telepaths. I didn't wish to invade the privacy of your mind.-- She shrugged. --But since you do not sign and I..-- Eve paused [Frustration/Mmelancholy], then shook her head. --... well, it doesn't matter.--

As the pair entered the building, a lanky young man walked past, with dark hair and strong albeit angular features he was still growing into. A stack of textbooks held loosely under one arm, Trevor Hunter stepped with the fluid ease resulting from acrobatics training, although his manner was notably contained and controlled. Looking over as the girls entered, he inclined his head in amiable if conservative greeting. "Laides." His voice was soft but clear, carrying easily across the hallway.

--Oh, hello.-- Eve thought "out loud," smiling at Trevor. "My, he moves well [Approval]. Potential training partner, perhaps?". Touching Aiko lightly on the forearm, Eve makes a small "one moment" gesture. --I'm Eve Martel-- she directed at the dark haired youth. --And you are?--

Trevor paused as the alien thoughts appeared in his mind, tilting his head to one side slightly as he regarded the petite white haired girl. Telepath. Huh. Both his outward demeanour and his surface emotions revealed a surprising composure tempered with reflexive curiosity and analysis. Trevor Hunter, he articulated mentally, by way of experiment.

How to explain? "The reason I'm so thankful for you sending me telepathic messages is that it kinda confirms that I'm more than a souped up killer sexbot"? No way I'm putting it like that. Aiko signed mentally.

When Eve touches her arm the gynoid halts immediatly and snaps her focus around. Hunter? Well, could be a lot worse. For the moment Karakuri is content to stop for a moment as Martel-san wishes, it'd give her just a little more time to figure out how what she should say.

• 2 weeks later...
--Ah, pleasure meeting you Trevor Hunter-- Sage thought at Trevor. --I am truly sorry for this invasion of privacy,-- she thought to both Trevor and Aiko, as she tried, and failed, to stifle her acute sense of embarassment, --but as I was explaining to Aiko here I need some way to communicate and I am sure most of the students, or faculty for that matter, do not understand sign language.--

Not at all, Trevor thought back amiably. His thoughts had a soft, calming quality to them, but there was the impression of the still surface of a very, very deep lake. "Do you mind if we speak aloud?" the lanky teen asked, his voice carrying the same quiet assuredness as his thoughts. "Easier for Miss Karakuri and I." The dark haired youth gave a shallow but deferential nod to the stiff young woman.

Eve smiled and shook her head. --Of course I do not mind.-- the young telepath projected, raking a hand through her niveous hair.

--We were on our way to Mr. Summers. I need to check in and let him know I'm here.--

Trevor nodded shallowly in understanding. "Many new students lately, myself included," he noted unhurriedly, looking between the pair of girls. Adjusting the books under his arm, the lanky young man paused briefly. "Alright if I... tag along?" The colloquialism sounded a bit odd coming from the laconic youth, but Trevor was still making a point of being more sociable than usual. In truth he was fascinated by Eve's particular skill set, wondering absently if her telepathic communication had evolved in response to her disability or vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...
--No, I do not mind if you wish to 'tag along'. I would like to know what your impressions of the school here are. All I have to go on is what Mr. Summers and my brother spoke about, and even then I was somewhat excluded from that conversation.-- Eve wrinkled her nose slightly and added, --Then, of course there is what Faith had to say but most of that was about someone named Mark. Her thoughts were quite fixed on that subject.--

Trevor coughed, covering an aborted chuckle. That certainly summed up what he'd casually observed of Faith and Mark's relationship. "She can be... focused," he agreed, phrasing his response politely, although the corner of his mouth twitched subtly, and his surface thoughts conveyed faint amusement. "Mark tends to leave an impression, regardless. How do you know Faith?"

--Oh, she's family.-- Eve replied, sending the throught across the mental links she established with Trevor and Aiko as the trio starting moving again. --We're cousins. That's part of the reason why I'm here. Well that and both my father and my brother thought it would be a good idea to get me out of France for a while.-- The rueful grin she displayed, with the accompanying faint sensation of sadness gave way to light amusement and a quiet smile. --They thought a change of scenery would be healthy for me.--

"Ah, I have... family in France as well," Trevor noted as he walked smoothly next to Eve, his longer stride allowing him to keep a languid pace. He considered the diminutive telepath with a sidelong glance. "Your first time Stateside, then." His soft tones made it sound more like a statement than a question, but a subtly lifted eyebrow encouraged the new arrival to speak more about herself.

--No, I’ve been here a few times. Sometimes to visit family, but mostly for competition.-- Eve’s expression looked somewhat distant for a moment before shaking her head, a wistful smile on her face.

--So what is there to do for fun around here?-- Eve asked, abruptly changing the conversation.

Trevor gave Eve a sidelong glance at the mention of competition, the diminutive girl's graceful movement and distinctive white hair jogging a memory. "...gymnastics. Headed for the Olympics," he observed mildly, rubbing a thumb over is angular chin. "Interesting. As for fun, you may be speaking to the wrong person." Trevor spread his hands in a small shrug. "Should head by the lounge after the office; usually something going on."

Eve winced when Trevor mentioned gymnastics, but she hoped he didn't notice. Chances are if he knew that he might know that she was banned from competing. And might even know why, Eve thought to herself, hoping that this was not the case though she reasoned that at least here she might find some sort of understanding.

Arriving at the office, Eve stepped in for her brief meeting with Duncan Summers. It was merely a formality; after all, the legwork had already been settled a bit ago. As she exited the office she beamed a smile at Trevor and Aiko, --Well, now I'm official!-- she elated. --You said something about a lounge, Trevor?--