Fulcrum

• 2 months later...

Original HellQ

Finally! I had most of the original completed so I just finished it up. The extra pp is nice too!

Introduction

Give a two or three word description of yourself. (Describe your character's concept.)

"Earth's Eternal Guardian", or more sardonically, "Regenerating Flying Brick"

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Pony (family), Amazon (friends), Big Girl, Infinity, Centuri-girl (childhood), Latin Lass (childhood), Mongrel B**** (White Knight), Tank, Mo

What is your full birth name?

Mona Teymourian

Where do you live?

1313 Pelican Lane, Riverside, near the Waterfront

Why do you live there?

Wonderful atmosphere, interesting people, shopping, and the converted warehouse has good ceiling clearance! Also its urban but still sparsely populated enough to protect my privacy and limit the number of bystanders if I'm attacked.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

Determination. I will fight for what I believe, do what has to be done and struggle stubbornly onward.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

Recklessness. I can cause a lot of damage if pressed, angered or just cutting loose.

Physical Traits

How old are you? (Chronological age as well as age category.)

29 (Adult)

What is your sex?

Female

What is your race?

Persian/Middle Eastern, Iranian descent

How tall are you?

8'2"

How much do you weigh?

Enough. Okay, 575 lbs

What is your general body type, frame, bone structure, and poise?

I'm a big girl. Statuesque, muscular, broad shouldered, but still graceful and feminine. I carry myself with understated confidence, chin up.

What is your skin colour?

Biege or olive depending on who you ask.

What is your hair colour?

Black

What is your hair style?

Casual and shoulder length, rarely pulled back, letting the natural wave and fullness breathe.

Do you have any facial hair?

I hope not.

What is your eye colour?

Dark Brown (right) and Blue (left). I have my grandmother's right eye color and my mother's left.

How attractive are you?

Fairly attractive I would think. I've been described as a "girl next door" type, an subtle beauty.

What is your most distinguishing feature?

My size. Its as much a curse as a blessing, but its very distinguishing.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, or birthmarks?

I have several smallish scars from being so energetic and athletic as a kid. Fell out of a lot of trees and gathered all sorts of scrapes.

What is your handedness (left/right/ambidextrous)?

Right

Do you resemble some currently known person?

No, none of which I'm aware.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Seasonable, casual, sensible clothes for the occasion. I hate dressing up or wearing anything complicated. Give me a t-shirt and skirt/jeans any day of week. Just make them colorful and matched. I do have have a classic little black dress stashed away.

Do you wear makeup?

For formal occasions, a little. Usually none.

What sort of vocal tone do you have?

My voice is unusually deep for a woman, confident but level, and soothing but authoritative. I'm laconic by nature and prefer to say my piece and be done.

History

Where is your homeland?

United States of America. My ancestors came from Iran and before that, Persia. My mother immigrated to the states when she was pregnant with me.

Are you aware of its history?

Yes, I studied the history of both the United States and Persia/Iran.

Are you patriotic or a social outcast?

Depends on with who I'm socializing. I consider myself rather patriotic but practical. Its what the states stand for, have accomplished, and can do better that matter to me.

What are your opinion of home?

Its home in the best sense of the word. I love her.

Where is your home town?

Freedom City!

Are your real reasons for becoming a hero different from what you tell others?

Yes, somewhat. I'm really doing it to carry on Centurion's legacy and for my own conscience, but I primarily tell others I'm doing this to make a difference in the world.

How far would you go to keep such secrets from being revealed? What would you do if the truth became known?

Not very far. Its pretty open, considering my costume. I'd just be leery of the repercussions and offer no excuses for my actions.

What do you fear would occur if the truth became known?

People, especially other heroes, would reject me. Centurion is so beloved, even 16 years later, that trying to pick up where he left off could well be seen as sacrilege. The ostracism wouldn't stop me. I just wish they'd understand I'm doing because I care about people and keeping Centurion's ideals alive.

Do you have any particularly high or low ability scores?

My restructured body has incredibly dense musculature, reinforced connective tissues and an unique, efficient physiology. My strength (Str) and stamina (Con) are natural, but well above anything an average person could achieve. On the other hand, not being much of a people person, my social ability (Cha) is average, but not boorish. I'm working on that though.

How have these scores affected your life so far?

The whole world is made of tissue paper. Plus being so big everything is undersized. I'm just hitting my peak while most people are tiring out. Sometimes articulating how I feel is difficult, especially if a misunderstanding has occurred.

What about your race, growing up were you in the majority or a minority?

Minority. My mother has light brown hair, a fair complexion and blue eyes, so she didn't have many troubles. I'm her "dark-eyed Persian beauty", which meant growing up I was just another Middle Eastern girl.

Did this impact your outlook in any way?

Freedom City was pretty darn tolerant, but I still bore some abuse over somethings that made me different. Gives me a broader perspective I suppose, seeing some of the best and worst of people.

How do you feel about other races?

We're people first.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

My father was killed in the Cultural Revolution of Iran in 1980. I wasn't even born yet, but hearing about it growing up was traumatic.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

The defining moment was the day of the Terminus Invasion. First meeting Centurion and then watching him sacrifice himself to save us sculpted the person I was becoming. Dying later only, symbolically at least, heralded the rebirth of a new self. I knew I had to do something that helped the world, my community and my family. I wanted to do something positive and live a good, moral life while still being true to myself. That latter was as influenced by my mother as Centurion.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

Too numerous to mention. I wanted to be stronger, swifter and fiercer than everyone else. Results included: black eyes, broken bones, shattered windows, lost toys and one badly smashed motor scooter.

Which toys from your childhood have you kept?

I still have my Centurion Collection, as I put it. The Collection includes all the posters, books, tapes and toys involving my favorite hero. My personal favorite was my Bearturion. Mom sewed a little Centurion costume for my teddy bear, complete with a cape. I even showed it to Centurion when he visited me in the cancer ward.

Why? What do they mean to you? If you didn't keep any, why not? What did you do to them all?

Because they are reminders of my innocent days and of my hero Centurion. I know it sounds like I'm putting him on a pedestal, but even if he sometimes failed, like any person, he kept doing and trying to make the world a better place. When I look at The Dying Centurion, I understand that even if he died hated, alone or unknown to the world, he would still be a hero because it was the right thing to do. What I want to do.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Not really. The fact that I died and was reborn is a strange note, but probably not something particularly deep and dark. Especially compared to some people. I beat up White Knight badly, but would own up to it if pressed.

4th wall note: She does have a big secret she doesn't fully understand. Most of her generated cosmic energy is used to power her body, but she produces a large surplus of Terminus energy that radiates off of her. The long term side effects of exposure are unknown, but likely unusual.

Are you who you claim to be?

Yes. I live primarily as Fulcrum, to protect my family and friends.

Do you have any sort of criminal record?

No.

How do you view the heroes/legends of your country?

They were people, living breathing people or archetypes, with virtues and flaws like everyone else. They tried to make the world a better place, and should be honored for their sacrifices.

Family

Who were your parents?

My mother is Afareen Teymourian. My father was Omid Ansari. My stepfather is Mahmoud Zandipour.

Were you raised by them? If not, then why didn't they and who did raise you?

I was raised by my mother. My father was killed before I was born and remarried when I was 12.

What was their standing in the community?

Good. Mom struggled for several years, but eventually became a respected accountant with a small firm in Freedom City. We were respected in our neighborhood and considered solidly middle class. Hard working, educated immigrants. My stepfather is an architect and was well-respected as well. He helped design some of the new buildings downtown after the Invasion.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

We stayed in the original neighborhood, West End, in which my mother settled. Even when we had the money to move out, we stayed out of pride and a sense of community.

How did you get along with their parents?

Loving but strained. I was a tomboy, while mom was a more conservative woman. I was 'reckless, immodest, ill-mannered and very unladylike. Decent men will not be interested at all'. She thought it was in my best interest to be raised properly. Of course I proved her right and wrong. In the end she was exasperated but accepting of me and I of her.

I had the usual share of quarrels with my stepfather. He was a good man though, and in the end was a mediator between Mom and I.

How would your parents describe you? Answer this in the voice of your mother, then in your father's.

Mona is a very sweet girl. Her heart is in the right place. She is a dreamer, but so very determined, even stubborn, just like her father. In seeming contradiction, she is also a very practical woman. Yes, she is a woman, and a powerful and beautiful one at that. She is my dark-eye Persian beauty, and combined with her smarts she will do well in whatever she chooses.

Mona doesn't take defeat lightly. Somehow she'll find a way to succeed or at least make peace with failure. Her bearing is that of a hero, even before her powers manifested. Now she is a goddess, divine yet human, and by the grace of God we have her as a daughter and guardian.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what were their names? How did you get along with each of your siblings?

One sister, Fatima. She was the little sister I always wanted, but clashed more during her teenage years. I was the tomboy and she was the girly girl.

What was your birth position in the family?

First born.

List all current knowledge of family locations, spouses, children, birth dates, schooling, and any important incidents that only you and they might remember.

Afareen Teymourian, 2127 Lockside, West End, Freedom City, two children, husband, D.O.B. 1/2/52, lobbied aggressively to get me into the Freedom Institute

Omid Ansari, deceased, one child, D.O.B. 7/24/49, killed 1980 during Iranian Cultural Revolution

Mahmoud Zandipour, 2127 Lockside, West End, Freedom City, one child, wife, D.O.B. 3/14/53, showed up at my dorm room after learning I had broke up with a long-term boyfriend

Fatima Teymourian, Freedom City University, Freedom City, steady boyfriend, D.O.B. 1/21/1994, saved her from drowning on a camping trip

Ava Teymourian, 2132 Lockside, West End, Freedom City, three children (one deceased), D.O.B. 9/9/1932, once won a motorbike race against 36 male competitors

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

Stay in touch daily.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

I particularly love my grandmother. When my mom and I would fight, I would go over to Nana's house and vent. Plus she was just kickass and wanted me to be myself.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Grandma. She was my confidant, mentor and teacher.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)?

Definitely me. Everyone else is an upstanding, normal citizen.

If so, who are they and how did they "gain" the position?

Hard work, education, and seizing the right opportunities.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor?

Family legend suggests that one of my ancestors was a general in the Persian army centuries ago.

If so, what did this person do to become famous or infamous?

We can't prove it definitively, but Ramin supposedly served as a personal officer to Saladin.

Do you try to live up to the reputation of your ancestor, try to live it down, or ignore it?

Ignore it I suppose. He lived so long ago that he really isn't that relevant to me.

Do you ever want to have a family of your own someday?

I don't know. Maybe. But with all the enemies I'll gather, I just don't know. Plus who knows what my powers would do to my children. If I can have children.

Would anything change your mind on this issue and if so, what?

If I could guarantee my children's health and safety, I would consider it.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

Another hero that understands and empathizes with what I go through every day and likes to kick butt with me.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, who and what are they like?

I have a handful of very close friends. Chelsea, Danny, Fiona and Marie are some of the best people I know. Chelsea is the most down-to-earth woman I know. Fiona is a free spirit and is still trying to break into the the fashion business. Danny works for Champions as a chef, and is always willing to listen. Marie is hard to pin down. She is a single mom and has it tough, but loves her kids and works hard to provide for them through her gift shop.

What is the history of their relationship(s) with you?

Chelsea I met at Freedom College as a roommate. She kept me afloat my first year. Fiona I met in Chicago also as a roommate. She made sure I socialized, the party animal. Danny is a life-long Freedom City native, and frequents the gay club scene. He thinks me being a hero is hilarious and great. Marie I met in Riverside after I moved. I patronized her business before chatting and getting to know her. She is a great gal.

Do you currently have a best friend whom you would protect with your reputation or your life?

Yes

If so, who are they and what caused you to feel so close to them? What would have to happen for you to end this relationship?

Marie. She is very understanding of my troubles, and we share the good and bad freely. Being able to confide in someone trustworthy is worth so much. I could only break off that friendship if she betrayed my trust.

Do you have any bitter enemies?

Yes.

If so, who are they, what are they like, and what is the history of their feud with you?

White Knight. He hates me and I don't particularly like him. I beat him up pretty badly, granted he hurt me badly too.

Have you defeated them before?

Yes, once. Just barely.

How might these enemies seek to discomfit you in the future?

A hate-filled blasting supervillain with unnerving popularity among neo-Nazis and Klansmen will meant a trap-and-brawl set up was inevitable.

Which person(s) or group(s) are you most loyal to?

My family first and foremost and my friends in Freedom City next. If I can join or form a superhero team, they will rank up there too once they earn my trust.

Who is your most trusted ally?

None right now.

Who do you trust, in general?

My family, friends and Archimedes. I don't really trust or distrust the other local superheroes, but I'm willing to trust the Freedom League.

Who do you despise and why?

No, not really. White Knight comes closest, but Superior isn't much better considering what I know of him.

Name seven things you hate in others.

Selfishness

Cruelty

Bigotry

Greed

Dishonesty

Egoism

Pettiness

Is your image consistent?

Now it is. Switched costumes several times before just going with Centurion's style.

Do you deliberately present yourself differently in different situations, and how?

Yes. I'm prone to be more quiet and contemplative in civilian clothes, and more assertive and commanding in costume.

What would you die for?

My family, my friends, my city, my world.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

It may sound strange, considering what I do and what has happened to me, but the worst was one of my college boyfriends slapped me. It hurt more emotionally than physically and I still remember that moment.

What is your general reaction to an attractive member of the opposite sex who lets you know they are available?

I smile and either return the signal, encouraging him, or more likely, approach him.

How do you get along with others of the same adventuring class?

Peachy, as long as they aren't self-righteous, preachy or just plain evil.

Have you lost any loves?

Yes

How did you handle the situation (short & long term)?

In the short term, I cried a bit and kept myself busy. In the long term, I re-evaluated what I was looking for in a relationship. Amazing what a little introspection does for you.

Who would miss you should you go missing?

My family, friends, neighbors, and I would hope some of the people I've helped as Fulcrum. Maybe the reporters too.

How close are you to your adventuring companions?

Acquaintances right now, but hopefully friends in the future.

What do they not know about you?

They don’t know the angrier side of my personality, nor do they understand the self doubt that occasionally gnaws at me.

Are you a member of any house, guild, organization, or church? What is your level of involvement?

I’m a member of several art galleries, poetry groups and a cartoonist association. I’m fairly active since they double as sources of entertainment. I’m not involved with a church or mosque.

Personality & Beliefs

Do you, or did you, have any role models?

My mom and Centurion are obvious, but I had several teachers who were great mentors to me. Mrs. Witherspoon was my high school art teacher, and encouraged me to pursue my talents.

Do you have any heroes or idols, either contemporary or from legend?

...Centurion?

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

Not yet. Unless a real bombshell drops, I doubt I will.

When did you decide to become an adventurer?

I practically had to. I could do no less to uphold his memory and flow my conscience.

Why have you chosen to risk your life as a career?

As cliche as it sounds, because someone has to. Plus, lets be honest, sometimes its fun.

What do you expect to get out of being an adventurer? What, if anything, would make you stop adventuring?

Hopefully a little positive recognition, help and maybe a better world. A crippling injury or other problem that made me unable to continue effectively would push me into retirement.

Do you have any dreams or ambitions? If not, why?

To uphold Centurion’s legacy and forge my own.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Establish my connections in the superhero community, make friends and settle into my team.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

Help keep Freedom City a beacon of liberty and earn a respected position in the Freedom League.

If these goals seem at odds with each other, or with your dreams, how do you reconcile the differences?

N/A

Do you have any great rational or irrational fears or phobias? If so, what are the origins of, or reasons behind them?

I’m afraid of spiders. Never really liked the little buggers to start, but I was bitten by a Brown Recluse when I was six. Traumatizing!

How do you react when this fear manifests itself?

Few things really frighten me anymore, but put a spider on me and you’ll see a classic freak out.

What are your attitudes regarding material wealth?

Eh, it’s okay for what it can bring you. Worthless for its own sake.

Are you miserly with your share of the wealth, or do you spend it freely?

I tend to spend it a bit freely which aggravates my mother to no end.

Do you see wealth as a mark of success, or just as a means to an end?

Means to an end.

How do you generally treat others?

I try to treat others as I would like to be treated. In general that is with a friendly and respectful demeanor.

Do you trust easily (perhaps too easily) or not?

I trust easily enough, but some people keep me cautious longer than others.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)?

I’m introverted actually. People like me are called social introverts. We can deal with people, the public, and socializing just fine, but we tire out quickly from all the interaction.

Are you a humble soul or blusteringly proud?

I try to be humble, but I know I have an attitude at times.

What habits do you find most annoying in friends?

Arguing over little things. Really I would like to just take the lead more often. Don’t want to come across as too pushy though.

What are your most annoying habits?

My passive-aggressive grumbling when I’m unhappy. I try to be nice by not causing a scene and end up frustrating everyone by not articulating my problem directly.

Is there any race, creed, alignment, religion, class, profession, political viewpoint, or the like against which you are strongly prejudiced, and why?

In general, unthinking extremists bother me to no end. Regardless if their views are religious, political or otherwise, if you can’t defend them reasonably then why bother? On a practical level, people who hate Middle Easterners. The bottom line is, even against my better judgment, I feel prejudiced against them because they think I ‘have a funny name’ or some other trivial nonsense. It’s not right but hard to shake.

What is your favourite food?

Chicken Parmesan.

What is your favorite drink?

Cafe mocha. Yum!

What is your favourite treat (desert)?

Baklava.

Do you favour a particular cuisine?

Italian.

Do you savor the tastes when eating or "wolf down" your food?

Savor all the way.

Do you like food mild or heavily spiced?

Heavily spiced. The more the merrier.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

I hate most pickled items.

What are your favourite colour(s)?

Red.

Is there any colour that you dislike?

No particularly, but bright greens bother my eyes.

Do you have a favourite (or hated) song, type of music, or instrument?

I’m a fan of swing, jazz and classical. I detest most rap, but some hip hop and R&B is quite good.

If you have a favourite scent, what is it?

Lilacs

What is your favourite type of animal?

Don’t really have one. I like cats enough to have one.

Are you allergic to any kinds of animals?

Nope

Is there anything that enrages you?

Wanton destruction or cruelty. Life can be harsh, but needlessly inflicting harm is so thoughtless.

Is there anything which embarrasses you?

I have a particular fondness for strong drink. I’m not ashamed, per say, but good whiskey is very hard to pass up.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

Creature comforts. I grew up in a city, live there and will probably die there.

Do you have a patron deity?

Nope.

Are you devout or impious?

Impious (ie don’t care).

Do you actively worship and proselytize or do you simply pay lip service?

Neither. I am no longer a member of any faith.

What lengths would you go to defend your faith?

N/A

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

My mom tried to raise me to be a good Muslim. Really the biggest influence wasn’t her or even Centurion. The biggest was Omega. When you stare into the eyes of the avatar of the end of all things, you realize that even if gods or spirits or entities existed, they are fundamentally irrelevant to our existences and largely unworthy of worship or respect. We are the masters of our destinies, for better or worse.

Do you belong to a dominant church, or an independent church, cult, or sect (and is the group accepted, frowned upon, or considered heretics)?

N/A

Will you kill?

Only under the most extreme circumstances.

When did you decide (or learn) that you would?

When I took up the mantle of Centurion.

When do you consider it okay to kill (under what circumstances)?

When the choice comes down to one life or lives over another, justice vs injustice, I will do what is necessary though I may suffer for it.

When do you consider it wrong to kill (under what circumstances)?

Most all other circumstances. Heck, I’m even against the death penalty.

What would you do if someone else attempted to (or successfully did) kill under your "wrong" circumstances, what would be your reaction?

I would be horrified, very disappointed and take them into custody.

What if it were your enemy?

Same.

What if it were your friend?

Same but doing so would hurt much, much more.

What if the opponent were not in control of their own actions (under duress, charmed, dominated, possessed)?

The horrified reaction would remain, but I would be see to it that this situation was duly noted before judgment is passed. I could forgive them more easily.

What would you do if something were stolen from you?

Report it, if applicable, and get it back.

What would you do if you were badly insulted publicly?

Ignore it.

What would you do if a good friend or relative were killed by means other than natural death?

I would seek to know the circumstances and cause.

What is the one task you would absolutely refuse to do?

I will not torture. For me torture is a broad term, but anything to cruelly assaults a person’s sense of dignity or worth is out.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Rape. Murder is one thing, but the multiple levels of violation, degradation and long-term scars are inhuman in their monstrosity.

How do you feel about government (rulers) in general? Why do you feel that way?

I feel that power corrupts, but with the right people and balances that government can be a great benefit to the people.

Do you support the current government of your homeland?

I do. That includes supporting and criticizing as is the great dichotomy of democracy.

If so, how far are you willing to go to defend the government? If not, do you actively oppose it?

I will defend the people and those who represent the government. The government is, as President Lincoln stated, of the people, by the people and for the people.

What form of government do you believe is the best (democracy, monarchy, anarchy, aristocratic rule, oligarchy, matriarchy) and why?

Democracy is overall the best. Realistically our representative democracy works okay, but I wonder about other democratic forms such as parliamentary democracy. Government here is so full of gridlock.

Do you have any unusual habits or dominant personality traits that are evident to others?

Yes

If so, describe them and how you acquired them, as well as when they might be more noticeable and what causes them.

I tend to smile a lot, especially when nervous. The reaction came, I think, from dealing with a lot of strangers. My mother told me to be respectful but cautious, and that is one of the ways I do so. Formal gatherings tend make this habit more noticeable. My smile will be merely professional, not authentic.

Do you have any unusual or nervous mannerisms, such as when talking, thinking, afraid, under stress, or when embarrassed?

I giggle when embarrassed. Not the nervous laugh or chuckle, but a high-pitched giggle.

What is your most treasured possession?

Centurion’s cape.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what 5 things would you do in those remaining hours?

Spend time with my family.

Try something radical with my powers.

Make love one last time.

Have a final meal of my choice.

Put my affairs in order.

Career & Training

Where and how were you educated?

Two semesters of Freedom College before being accepted into the Seattle Art Institute. An internship and graduate study at the University of Oregon followed.

Who trained you in your adventuring class(es)?

I'm self-trained in my powers, and I attended self-defense, martial arts and conditioning classes to learn the rest.

What was your relationship with your teacher(s)/mentor(s)?

Most of them were really just interested in teaching me and because of moving often I didn't really get too attached to them. I would like to start learning again, perhaps at Master Lee's School of Defense.

Is this person or institution still in existence?

I'm sure many of them are still alive, well and teaching.

Were you a prize student or did you just barely pass?

Depends on the course in question. Mainly I passed by mastering the basics.

Look at your skills. How did you acquire them (especially the unusual ones)?

Experience, schooling, dealing with manipulative people and frankly, finding art supplies and other materials.

Have you ever done anything else for a living?

I mowed lawns (no baby sitting, thank you), and did some gofer work at some newspapers. A year of political cartooning was fun, but forcibly going freelance (ie downsized) from two papers in Chicago and Seattle does make one bitter. Does working my butt off for my sports scholarships count?

How do you function in combat (maneuvers, weaknesses)?

I’m a tank and I know my function. I’m big, tough and hit like a 1000 lb bomb. I just need some help lining up the shots for those pesky, fast targets. My maneuvers are whatever works to take down the threat in an efficient and collateral-free manner.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

I received a couple of scholarships and art awards in school, but nothing professional or super hero related.

Is there anything that you don't currently know how to do that you wish you could?

I wish I could be better at investigation and scientific work. That stuff is really fascinating, but I just can’t wrap my head around it any better than CSI and Discovery Channel.

Are you envious of others who can do such things in a good-natured way or are you sullen and morose about it?

I can be a bit down about it, but generally look on the bright side that Freedom City has many dedicated investigators and scientists.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

When not adventuring, what is your normal daily routine?

Clean up, lay out my sketches for the day, get lunch/shop/roam, finish and frame the finals, make dinner and work on a hobby or watch a little tv. Insert patrolling and hero work whenever possible or necessary.

How do you feel and react when this routine is interrupted for some reason?

I take it in stride. Super heroing causes a lot of interruptions.

What are your hobbies when you are not adventuring or training?

Scrap booking, sports, visiting museums and reading

What do you do for relaxation? What things do you do for enjoyment? What interests do you have?

My art is very relaxing, but I really enjoy movies and reading. I like hanging out, playing card games or board games. Someone has to know about a poker league or something around here. Strength training is a particular interest to me, for practical reasons like my job, but also because I’m very athletic and feel great after working out. One of my secret pleasures is trashy romance novels.

How do you normally dress when not in your adventuring gear?

Jeans, sweaters, t-shirts, sneakers, aprons, simple things like that.

What do you normally wear in bed at home?

Wouldn't you like to know.

What do you normally wear in bed while adventuring?

Ditto.

Do you wear any identifiable jewelry?

A necklace that belonged to my mother.

Where do you normally put your weapons, magic items, or other valuables when you are sleeping?

Right in my little fire safe.

What morning or evening routines do you normally have?

I always do at least a little reading and painting in the evening, and watching the sun rise with some coffee in the morning. Simple and enjoyable.

Do these change when you are adventuring?

Nope.

Travel: how do you get around locally?

Fly, baby.

Do you have a Last Will and Testament?

Eh, none. Probably a good idea though.

What does it say?

I wonder.

Miscellaneous

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

Making the world a better place.

What kind of threat do you present to the public?

A massive one. If I ever were mind controlled or 'went evil', things would be bad. Like city-leveling bad.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

Maybe the whole 'eight feet tall' thing. Yeah.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Relax and learn to trust people. I know its difficult, but you really need friends in the superhero community. They’re your support network, off-duty companions and frankly, the shoulder you’ll need from time-to-time. Letting people help you isn’t weakness, and won’t bring out every villain from the woodwork. Also let your emotions out to those confidants. They’re good people and will listen. Bottling everything up inside isn’t healthy.

• 6 months later...

March 21st, 2008

Excerpt, Chicago Tribune, Style Section

Super Spectacular!

by Josh Lucas

In other news, Super lovers, I have a RED ALERT! Reliable sources tell me that new super hero has been spotted in our fair berg! That's right, folks, a flying heroine saved an entire busload of tourists from ending up in the east river. Witnesses describe her as a dark-complected woman built like a brick shipyard. The best part? She's a giant! That's right. We grown'em big in the Windy City! No supermodel heroines for us. This gal has muscles and is proud of 'em. You go, girl!

Even more intriguing is her costume. Now I do not claim to be an authority on Centurion, but I always fancied that fabulous costume. The color scheme just worked. Blue, gold and white normally clash soooo bad, but Centurion pulled it off. Our new Iron Lady sports the same colors, and in fact, if Billy is not pulling a fast one on me, an exact duplicate of Centurion's costume. Have we finally found someone brave enough to take up Centurion's mantle? Only time will tell...

One question remains: who was that American Amazon?

• 2 weeks later...

Diary of Mona Teymourian, 14 February 2011

Viktor should be here in a few minutes. I planned a relatively quiet evening, starting with dinner at Champion’s. After that an art house movie. Beyond that who knows, but I’m guessing that Viktor has something up his sleeve. Romantically, he is wonderful, but as a companion he really shines. He has a child-like exuberance that helps bring me out of my shell. I know I’m a retiring person, even shy, and he is a good foil for my solitary instincts. Our relationship has matured steadily over the last year.

Has it really been a year? Over actually, now that I think about it. I never really felt this way about anyone. Many of my past relationships were, I don’t know, just rote. As if having a significant other was expected, and I was just going through the motions. My last one was three years ago: my only post-powers hook up. The little green monster of jealousy reared it’s ugly head very quickly in that one. Two months.

Viktor is a much sweeter man than any I have dated in the past. He isn’t jealous. Strangely, even his Other side, when he still exhibited it, seemed surprisingly nonchalant compared to the typical guy I’ve dated. Nor is he controlling. Sad to say I’ve had a couple of male chauvinist pigs in the past. One of them, Tyler, is the reason I was arrested for assault and battery in college. He actually thought he could get away with raising a hand to me. I may not have had super powers, but I damn well could take care of myself.

No, Viktor is much better. He respects me as a person, a woman, a lover and a friend. He respects my opinion. He appreciates my input and our conversations. He wants me to be happy and us to be happy. That he is a fabulous lover and a great cook doesn’t hurt either. He-

I just realized I can’t imagine my life without him.

• 3 months later...

Epilogue, "The Age of Aquarius"

June 2011 vignette: Legends of Freedom

Somewhere in Sol's asteroid belt, a dozen holopanels hovered around a large, raised chair. Each played news reports, but only one topic dominated. A lone figure enlarged the feed from Central Galactic News.

"The reports are conflicting, Naomi, but so far I can confirm that some sort of mass movement has developed in the Western Badlands," said the sunburned reporter. Even standing under a hover umbrella, the blazing sun washed out the colors broadcast across the quadrant.

"What are we talking about here, Ade-Am? While murmurs of unrest have emerged periodically from this impoverished region, no formal representation or resistance has ever developed among the scattered, desert communities. Are we looking at an armed insurrection?" replied Naomi from the news desk.

The unlucky reporter smeared another glob of zinc oxide onto a facial tentacle and replied, "That's what I'm hearing, Naomi. One wild-eyed local insisted that the 'Army of the Trickster has arisen', and the corporate trusts that hold so much power here will 'hear the Voice of the People'."

The figure seated in the chair shifted. A light laugh filled the chamber. "Good to see you too, Erik. Been a long time."

Slice of Life #1: Book Keeping

30 June 2011

1894 Dyson Drive, Hanover, Freedom City

Stacks of boxes lined the walls of the room. All manner of supplies poked from the boxes: brushes, canvas, frames, pots of colored inks. Against a far wall rested an artist's drawing board, desk and computer. Framed pictures, in oils and inks, brought color to bare, white walls. Across the room, a beat up bookcase displayed the eclectic tastes and talents of the owner.

Among the assortment rested some newer volumes. Nestled between haggard textbooks were all manner of manuals on money and business. The sort of reading a fresh-faced entrepreneur used to familiarize oneself with the process of ownership. Another innocuous grouping spoke to self publishers. All bore the same conclusion: the reader planned to start a business.

The hand-written ledger on the desk confirmed the suspicions. Amidst the clutter of pens and paper, the book clearly laid out a plan for the future. Accompanying materials included a business license, advertising materials, business cards and all the sundries of a new company. A napkin sketch depicted a smiling, cartoon cat with an "x" over one eye. Beneath the cat read "Archimedia".

Slice of Life #2: Herald the Point

7 February 2010

Excerpts Sunday Editorial The Daily Herald

"18 Years Too Soon" by Lana Loeb

"What we are talking about here isn't simply a 'heroic legacy' but the Legacy. Superheroes are a dime a dozen in Freedom City, and they run the spectrum of quality from Captain Thunder to those bloodthirsty savages haunting the Southside. None compare to the courage, courtesy and values of the Centurion. The very thought of an unauthorized continuation is enough to make one sick."

"My heart goes out to this young woman. This publicity stunt will not end well. The Terminus Invasion and our beloved Centurion's death is still a raw wound in many Freedonians' memories. Directly taking up the mantle now is not only tasteless but disgraceful to the memory of the man and everyone who died during that horrible time."

"The fact of the matter is straight forward: too soon. We have a giant statue of the Centurion because he represented the best of us. He symbolized the incredible struggles of everyday heroes, super or non, that built up and protected our great city. The last thing we need are unproven upstarts trying to usurp these time-tested ideals for their own personal gain."

Slice of Life #3: The Ledger Counter

14 February 2010

Excerpts Sunday Editorial The Freedom Ledger

"Will the Real Centurion Please Stand Up?" by Fletcher Beaumont II

"I've read a lot of duplicitous stories during my time in the newspaper business. Rarely have I felt physically ill while reading a story. In an editorial entitled '18 Years Too Soon', Mrs. Loeb at the Herald launched one of her most vitriolic attacks yet. The target? The superheroine Fulcrum. Her crime? The audacity to proudly fly the colors of the Centurion. Her punishment? The moralists have already smeared her heroic reputation by declaring her a forgery."

"I could reiterate that Fulcrum is on the record stating she does not intend to assume Centurion's legacy. Not that such petty details or facts matter much in certain circles. Let me then take this moment to thank Fulcrum. Yes, thank her. We as citizens of Freedom City need more such heroes. Heroes with the courage, the steely integrity, to walk out every day facing unknown odds and fates."

"The real disgrace is our attitudes toward our heroes. One minute we embrace them as the most wholesome role models imaginable. The next minute we spit on them as some sort of spandex-clad army of vigilantes. Imagine any other profession that has sacrificed so much being treated so shoddily. Treating police officers as little more than unstable lunatics would cause an outcry. Rightly so."

"Need I remind you that approval ratings for Freedom's heroes were still near all-time lows before the Terminus Invasion? Centurion, like so many decent heroes, weathered a completely unprovoked backlash. He had the decency to turn the other cheek and continue his good works. I can only hope that Fulcrum will prove as iron willed as her personal hero. She'll need that determination for the two-faced vultures ready to descend on her for doing what is right."

Slice of Life #4: Mentoring Report Excerpt

23 May, 2011

Submitted to Duncan Summers

Headmaster, Claremont Academy

Subject: Wander

I found assessing Erin to be far more difficult than I initially anticipated. She and I have a complex relationship. I would like to say we are friends, but whether Erin reciprocates is unknown. Nevertheless, I feel it incumbent upon me to be as honest as possible. You asked for three specifics: the mentoring program, Erin's progress and my thoughts.

Overall I consider my mentoring of Erin to be a success. I do not take much credit. This being my first experience in such a role, mistakes were made and lessons learned by both parties. On a technical level, the information you provided helped me avoid several pitfalls and laid a solid foundation for our relationship. The open-ended nature of the program proved beneficial as well. If I may make a recommendation, please go further, within the bounds of privacy, to educate your mentors thoroughly about their charges. A good example would be details on the breadth and intensity of training the students undergo. Definitely continue the program regardless.

Erin's progress in the mentoring program has been good in my estimation. While I understand the need for evaluations, my relationship with her still precludes me from mentioning specifics. In summary however she has continued to grow more trusting, sociable and less anxious in public settings. These areas were particularly prominent upon first meeting her but eased as we grew to know each other. Her ability to function in society is a certainty in my mind. She came to me already prepared for the rigors of independent living. My role evolved into advising her as to particular issues.

Given what I now know about her, I would say her progress at Claremont Academy has been tremendous. She is a disciplined, well-trained and perceptive young woman. That same sense of dedication was brought to the mentoring program, for which I am personally grateful. Continuing psychological issues seem to weigh heavily upon her self esteem. She is quite self aware however and understands the need for long-term therapy. She will excel in whatever field she chooses to pursue. I am prepared to offer any support necessary for her future advancement. Including but not limited to letters of recommendation, financial assistance and acting as a reference.

Since I missed the 2010 April Fool's Day Vignette by several days, I decided to post my completed vignette here for giggles.

----

“Thank you for coming, Miss Fulcrum. My name is Jackson Lee. I represent 187 clients in a class-action lawsuit concerning damages inflicted by your heroic activities,†began the genteel southern lawyer. Dressed in well-appointed but conservative suit, he had the look of a favorite uncle. Polished wood and reference books lined his small office.

Fulcrum frowned at the implications and read the pro-offered documents. She shook her head, “I don’t understand. Dr. Metropolis repaired most of the damage, and the city picks up the rest.â€

“Not everything, Miss Fulcrum,†Mr. Lee gently interrupted, “As you can see from the itemized list, non-real estate property is exempt from the repair/replacement clauses utilized by the city. In other words, only land, buildings and associated properties are covered. You are responsible for the rest.â€

She sat there slack jawed. The possible costs, even after only four years of hero work, could have been enormous. Still something seemed suspicious about the whole affair. “Why am I getting this bill? What about other heroes?â€

Mr. Lee smiled, his voice patronizing, “Ma’am, you are only the first of dozens of heroes to be served with this paperwork. I have a file nearly a foot high to work. You are just the unlucky first pick. I haven’t even finished moving into my new office.â€

“How...how much am I looking at right now?†she stammered while thumbing through page-after-page of items.

“Approximately $5.8 million as of March 2010,†he stated gently as he leaned on the front of the desk, “Which comes out to payments of about this much a year.†He turned the paper toward her.

“That’s more than I make!â€

“Well then if we cut it down to 20%, the repayment time, future destruction non-withstanding, increases from 60 to 300 years. Hopefully, you take after your hero in longevity,†he added, still smiling, almost grinning.

“I’m not going to take this sitting down. This is ridiculous!†By now her breathing deepened and her jaw set.

“Best of luck to you, Miss Fulcrum. I must advise you in the case of Kirby v. The United States the Supreme Court ruled that immortal or long-lived individuals are still liable for long-term debt collection.†Mr. Lee barely kept a straight face.

“Fine. I’ll have my lawyer contact you,†she grumbled while heading to the door.

“Oh, Miss Fulcrum, one more thing.†Looking back, her mother and sister stood next to Jackson, big grins all around. “April Fool’s!â€

• 2 weeks later...

Slice of Life #5: Asteroids and Large Rocks

23 May 2011, 10:42 am

1894 Dyson Drive, Hanover, Freedom City

The new mistress of House Archeville hummed happily while examining a very large ring. A robot gorilla with a large space helmet for a head folded linens nearby. Finally a voice came over the phone cradled against her shoulder.

"Hi, Dad," she said excitedly. "I figured Mom would spill the beans. Thank you!"

The large heart-cut ruby pulsed steadily. "He asked me last night at Grimalkin and Billy's wedding." The pulse rated increased slightly. "Yes, he was on one knee and everything. Silly and so wonderfully romantic."

I think I'll skip over the whole wedding crasher incident...

"We have no idea, Dad," she answered, hovering over to help "Lurch", as she called him, fold the laundry. "Don't worry, I won't let the money go to my head. He is really down to Earth. Nothing has changed since he visited for dinner last." She chuckled.

"The main stone is a large ruby cut like a heart. A dozen moonstones surround it in a circle. Yeah, really beautiful. The best part is what the stones do. The moonstones light up in a series, like a clock, when Viktor is nearby, and the ruby glows to my heartbeat."

As if on cue, the moonstones began lighting up dimly. As she folded, she glanced around, knowing her fiance was nearby. "I'm not kidding you! I'll show it to you tonight. Mom invited us over for supper. Alright. See you tonight. Love you, Dad."

• 4 months later...

Slice of Life #6: Endings

Reams of ink and electrons have been used documenting the recent villainous emergence of Dr. Viktor Archeville and his subsequent freedom from mind control. Among the news, The Freedom Ledger printed this item on Saturday, July 16th:

---

In Loving Memory

Mona Teymourian, 31, died in the line of duty June 17th, 2011, in North Bay, Freedom City, New Jersey. She was fulfilling her calling as the superheroine Fulcrum.

A Freedom City native, Mona was born to Afareen Teymourian and Omid Ansari on Monday, July 21st, 1980 at Freedom City Medical Center.

She graduated from West End Central High School in 1998. Her collegiate work included Freedom City College and the Seattle Art Institute. The University of Oregon awarded her a Masters of Fine Arts in 2005. She was active in student government associations, art clubs and athletics.

She worked prolifically as a graphic and fine artist across the United States before returning to Freedom City in 2008. Her portfolio spans multiple mediums including graphic novels, sculpture, ceramics and many forms of painting. She is best known as the lead artist for Freedom League Adventures and Typhoon. Opening a multi-media publishing company and joining the Freedom League were among her future plans.

Her love of life and gentle dignity were apparent to all who knew her. She lived life one day at a time, taking in the small triumphs and tragedies. Favorite activities included sports, reading and especially being a superheroine. She could often be seen in Riverside enjoying the local coffee shops. A staunch humanitarian, Mona devoted her life to improving the human condition with a steely resolve far beyond the sum of her powers. She participated in numerous fund raisers including the Fisticuffs charity boxing tournament, the New Jersey Save the Music Outreach and the Freedom City Humanist Association’s book donation program.

She is survived by her mother, Afareen Teymourian; stepfather, Dr. Mahmoud Zandipour; sister, Fatima; grandmother, Ava Teymourian; fiance, Dr. Viktor Archeville; Interceptor teammates Colt, Willow, Grimalkin, Jack of All Blades, Jill O’Cure, Geckoman, Thrude; and innumerable friends and acquaintances.

She will be missed.

The accompanying picture shows a smiling Fulcrum giving a thumbs up to the camera.

Slice of Life #7: Official Recommendations

July 2nd, 2011

Freedom League Headquarters, Freedom City

Internal Email (Secured)

To: Captain.Thunder @FreedomLeague.org

Ray,

I crunched the numbers again and came up with the same results. The “Terminus Storm†phenomenon is stabilizing over time. In 5-7 weeks we should see the last of the trans-dimensional interference. The wormhole generated by Fulcrum was highly unstable and self-limiting within our own reality. The space-time distortions are all accountable by the models. I can still only speculate at the manifestations within the Terminus proper.

Nonetheless certain conclusions can be drawn from the available data. Firstly, Terminus radiation was localized to North Bay and released in sub-effectual quantities. The on-site Interceptors were uncontaminated. Secondly, no Terminus-infused matter transversed the wormhole into our universe. In fact, given the data and witness accounts, the breach acted as a negative-pressure environment.

Now the bad news. Our dimensional sensors are likely to be down for the near term. The detectors were designed for micro-burst measures of Terminus frequencies, and they were completely fried. We will have to rely on AEGIS for their data until I can discern the extent of the damage and initiate repairs. We are looking at a minimum 90 days before 50% local coverage.

I also reiterate my objections to any scouting and/or “rescue†attempts. Ray, we have known each other a long time. Archeville is one of the great minds of our time, but frankly he is still out of his mind if he truly believes he can rescue her. We lost the Atoms to the Terminus with a 94.73% probability of their demise within 60 minutes of dimensional transit. My numbers are even worse for Ms. Teymourian even with Omega out of the picture.

He is chasing a phantom, a memory. My only hope is he comes back to reality before he does something foolish.

My original recommendations stand: inform her family that was she killed in action. Let them mourn and move on. Remember what the uncertainty did to the Atom children.