Dynamo (PL14) - Geez3r (Silver)

fdf_11_by_kuewa.jpg

Image by Kuewa

Characters Name: Dynamo

Power Level: 14 (210/212)

Trade-Offs: +5 Attack/ -5 DC for speed effects, -1 Attack, +1 DC for Lightning Effects; +5 Defense, -5 Toughness

Unspent PP: 2

Progress to Gold: 62/90 (Silver status earned with Tempest)

Click here for post-Time Warp Dynamo.

Alternate Identity: Eli East

Height: 5' 10"

Weight: 150lbs

Eyes: Blue

Hair: Blond

[floatr]Dynamo2.0HF.png[/floatr]

Description: Dynamo is a rather long and slender fellow. There's a fair bit of muscle tone on him, but he's got the muscles of a runner, not a body builder. He's got blond spiky hair that seems to stand up on its own more than anything else. He's got bright baby blue eyes and he's always got a devilish smirk on his face. He dresses a little preppy, collared shirts and khaki's. Though he does still have the standard blue jeans and T-Shirts for casual lounging.

History: Eli East was pretty much your average kid, only he had enough energy for about 3 of them. He was one of the few of his generation to spend very little time inside. He'd wake up at 7am eat breakfast and then just head outside, not coming back until 7 at night, and that was only to get a flash light. Of course, he lived out in the sticks so there wasn't much else to do. He spent most of his adolescence looking for something to entertain and distract him, with varying degrees of success. After graduation, he moved to Freedom City to go to attend Freedom College, plus all the babes were in Freedom.

That all changed a few months ago. Eli had lost track of time working late in the library on a major paper. At the same time, a storm had rolled into Freedom. As Eli would later find out, Dr. Stratos was super charging this particular storm with lightning and was threatening to unleash the deadly bolts of lightning unless the city paid him a hefty ransom. Well when the Freedom League moved to foil his scheme, Dr. Stratos started hurling lightning like an angry Greek god. Well one of those bolt struck a certain student taking a short cut under a very large oak tree. Instead of being turned into a crispy critter, Eli was empowered. He finally had enough time to get rid of all those annoying things that kept intruding on life, like work and there only being so much daylight in a given day. Although he still has barely any focus, Eli has dedicated his life to helping those in need with his powers.

Personality & Motivation: Eli is a creature of impulse, he was like that even before he got his powers. He was full of energy but lacked focus. In his high school career, he played 3 different sports and was in 7 different clubs, but he never committed to any of them. It was no surprise then that he entered college with an undeclared major. But there's one thing that remained constant; Eli had a good heart. He's a regular boy scout, he'll always try to stop a fight before taking part.

However, he isn't without his bad traits. He's a bit of a flake and has the attention span of a gnat. He's also a bit of a lech, but what else do you expect from a college age male? Lastly, Eli has started to develop some minor OCD tendencies, straightening and cleaning rooms repeatedly. This is a coping mechanism. His mind is getting bored because it actually has too much time, and it is looking for some activity to fill the time.

Powers & Tactics: Dynamo is faster than most everyone, in fact, he's a lot faster. He exploits that to its fullest at every opportunity. However, he rarely ever goes in guns blazing. He'll scope out the scene first (taking a 20 on his Notice check) to figure out what's going on. He'll then try to diffuse the scene with some Diplomacy first.

Complications:

Overdrive - If Dynamo is hit by an effect with the electrical descriptor and fails the associated save, he enters the Overdrive state for a number of rounds equal to the Rank of the effect. In this state, his Speed and Quickness effects gain the Permanent and Full Power traits, basically this means he has to take at least a move action every round and move his full speed. In this state, Eli cannot use interaction skills on anyone, nor can they use them on him; Eli's effectively deaf and mute for the duration. This also makes any benefits from the Master Plan, Inspire, Team work, Set up and Leadership feats unusable during the time period.

Responsibility - Classes at Freedom College, civilians

Didn't catch that - It's really hard to catch the conversation when you're a mile away before the person gets the first word out.

GROM NOM NOM - Speedsters tend to eat a lot. And if they don't, Dynamo eats enough for all of them. Skipping meals is ill advised.

Stats: 4 + 4 + 8 + 6 + 4 + 4 = 30pp

Str: 14 (+2)

Dex: 14 (+2)

Con: 18 (+4)

Int: 16 (+3)

Wis: 14 (+2)

Cha: 14 (+2)

Combat: 18 + 20 = 38pp

Attack: +9, +17 Speed Attacks

Grapple: +12

Defense: +10/+17 (+5 flat-footed)

Knockback: -3, -2 flat footed

Initiative: +2/+22

Saves: 3 + 10 + 5 = 18pp

Toughness: +7, +5 FF with costume, +4 flat footed out of costume

Fortitude: +7 (+4 Con, +3)

Reflex: +12/+17 (+2 Dex, +10/+15)

Will: +7 (+2 Wis, +5)

Skills: 104r = 26pp

Acrobatics 15 (+17)

Bluff 8 (+10, +14 w/Attractive)

Computers 8 (+11)

Craft (Electronics) 8 (+11)

Diplomacy 8 (+10, +14 w/Attractive)

Knowledge (Physical Sciences) 8 (+11)

Knowledge (Technology) 8 (+11)

Notice 15 (+17)

Sense Motive 14 (+16)

Sleight of Hand 12 (+14)

Feats: 18pp

Attractive

Defensive Attack

Evasion

Equipment 4

Inventor

Luck 4

Ninja Run 2

Power Attack

Set Up

Skill Mastery 2 (Acrobatics, Bluff, Computers, Craft: Electronics, Diplomacy, Knowledge: Physical Sciences, Knowledge: Technology, Notice)

Costume - Protection 1 (PF: Subtle)

Interceptors Equipment - 15ep contributed

Powers: 15 + 5 + 3 + 2 + 16 + 3 + 4 + 32 = 80pp

Enhanced Feats 15 (Defensive Roll, Dodge Focus 7, Improved Initiative 5, Evasion, Move-By Action) [15pp]

Enhanced Reflex Save 5 [5pp]

Speed 2 (25mph) PF: Moving Feint [3pp]

Quickness 2 (x5 speed) [2pp]

Super-Speed Power Reserve 8 (16pp reserve; Quickness [up to 18 (x1,000,000 speed)] or Speed [up to 18 (5,000,000MPH or 50,000,000' per round]) [16PP]

Super Movement 3 (Wall Crawling 2, Water Walking) Flaws: Only While Running [3pp]

Super Senses 4 (Danger Sense [Visual], Extended Vision 2 (1,000ft increment), Uncanny Dodge [Visual]) [4pp]

Ultimate Dynamo Array 15 (30 power points, PFs: 2 Alternate Powers) [32pp]

* BE: Blast 15 - Lightning Bolts

* AP: Strike 5 Extras: Autofire 2 (1:1, max +4) PF's: Accurate 4, Improved Critical 2, Mighty Penetrating 3

* AP: Strike 5 Extras: Targeted Area Burst, Selective PF's: Accurate 4, Knockback 3, Mighty, Progression 2

Drawbacks: 0 = pp

DC Block:

Unarmed --- 17/ Toughness --- Bruised, Staged

Strike Powers ---- 22/Toughness --- Bruised, Staged

Lightning Bolts ---- 30/Toughness ---- Bruised, Staged

Costs: Abilities (30) + Combat (38) + Saves (18) + Skills (26) + Feats (18) + Powers (80) - Drawbacks (00) = 210/212 Power Points

:arrow: So yeah, I built a speedster. What attracted me to this type of character is of course the Flash from DCAU, that being the only version of Flash I consider myself familiar with. What I love about speedsters in general is how monstrously powerful they can be, but at the same time, how very human they are.

:arrow: In that vein it was my goal to have Dynamo be powerful, but have his share of exploitable flaws. Like many other speedsters, if they see you coming, you're going to have a fight on your hands. If not, then it'll be much easier. I gave Dynamo the super senses to account for that, and also give a reason for why he doesn't smack into walls; he can see the walls from very far away.

:arrow: So what the heck do I mean by "Ultimate Dynamo"? Basically, with a bit of rubber science, Eli's able to mess with friction. Not only can he selectively negate friction, but at the same time, he also converts it into energy. That energy can be used so he can run faster, which makes more friction, which he converts to energy, so he can run faster, etc. The reason there is an upper level to his ability is that the process isn't perfect. It's close, but not perfect. And to use it really well requires a bit of concentration (ie: the "Go fast" mode in the array). Also the aforementioned mode also enables Dynamo to move All Out for another 24 rounds. He'll never, ever, ever, ever need to cover such a large distance, but its thematically appropriate and I had the points to spend.

:arrow: For the other settings. The Vibrofist is that move Flash pulls on occasions, where he punches the guy a few million times in a second. Dynamo is like that, but only a few thousand. The crowd clearer is where Dynamo just runs around and punches everyone he wants punched, but can't focus fire on them. The Blast is when Eli releases some of the stored electricity as a bolt of lightning, but it is rather hard to aim.

:arrow: Also, I found that Overdrive was much more suited as a complication than a drawback. In addition, hitting Dynamo with a paralyze effect with the electrical descriptor can be a case of high octane nightmare fuel .

:arrow: At rank 12 Quickness, Dynamo can do roughly 16.67 hours of work as a full round action, and 2.78 hours of work as a free action. Multiply those figures by 100 to get rank 18 Quickness. Multiply the rank 18 figures by 5 to get rank 20 Quickness (using Extra Effort).

Extended Searches: Find the appropriate search area on the Extended Range Table, and then find the corresponding time. This will be the numerical value from the ERT +2.

Area = Base time = time in seconds = Quickness 12/ 18/ 20

1 mile = 1 hour = 3,600 seconds = 0.36 seconds/ 0.0036 seconds/ 0.00072 seconds

Freedom City = 1 day = 86,400 seconds = 8.64 seconds/ 0.0864 seconds/ 0.01728 seconds

Earth = 3 months (90 days) = 7,776,000 seconds = 777.6 seconds/ 7.776 seconds/ 1.5552 seconds

:arrow: How fast can Dynamo circle the globe (~25,000 miles), taking a move action/ double move/ moving all out, each round?

At rank 12 speed: 250 rounds/ 125 rounds/ 62.5 rounds

At rank 18 speed: 2.5 rounds/ 1.25 rounds/ 0.625 rounds

Ar rank 20 speed: 0.5 rounds/ 0.25 rounds/ 0.125 rounds

:arrow: Also, as a relatively inexperienced hero, he relies on his powers more than anything else. I plan on converting bits of his enhanced traits to normal traits as he gets more practiced.

Everything looks good to me, except for the second Drawback. Vulnerabilities always take into account the total DC modifier of the attack power. I've never seen one that breaks it up into component parts before, and I don't think it's a good idea. If he's Vulernable to the total Bluff and Diplomacy bonuses of female characters, that's fine. But I don't like the idea of breaking it up into just their Charisma bonuses. Especially considering what a small component of the total their Charisma is likely to be.

• 1 year later...