Welcome back, Kris (IC)

ex3lev3n

He poured a cup for Billy, then one for himself. He avoided Jack's eyes, knowing that the swordsman wouldn't appreciate what he was saying.

"After Colombia I hopped a boat to the old world. Still plenty of action going on over there for a guy like me." His voice became more stoic as he spoke. "But like I said, I was beat on all that real quick. After the 'zombie' incident in Iran, I decided to go back to Japan, and finish what I started there... maybe that wasn't such a good idea, though." he said, the beating of fearful wings filling his ears. Kristian rubbed the bridge of his nose and shook his head, an unconscious act that betrayed his internal conflict. "You ever do something that made you feel like a complete piece of crap?" he asked.

Jack eyes narrowed dangerously as Kris spoke, but he let the young man finish. He was angered and disappointed by what he was hearing, but he couldn't honestly say he was surprised. They'd all known about Razorwing's less than sterling record; the Interceptors were supposed to help rehabilitate him. That put at least some of the responsibility on the three adults in the room. Regardless, the teen deserved a chance to explain himself fully.

"Sure," Jack responded to the question. "Question is what you do with that feeling, isn't it." His voice was neutral, but his expression made it clear that Kris' next few statements had best be chosen carefully.

"I reckon Jack's right." Colt attempted to disarm the trap before Kris fell into it. They didn't need any hard feelings right after his return. "If'n ya gone'n done somethin' wrong, an' ya don't feel none too proud'a't, that outta be'a good indication what ya did was a mistake. Ain't no sense repeatin' it now is there, partner?"

Colt was just glad to have Kris back. If not wanting him to walk out again meant he had to be diplomatic, then so be it. It was better off for everyone that Kris was here. This way we c'n watch'em. Colt thought, 'An he c'n watch us.

"You ever do something that made you feel like a complete piece of crap?"

Grim also decided to give the kid a little help, to let him know he wasn't entirely alone; she step towards him and laid a hand on his arm.

"Hey, before I turned to the heroing thing, I was a straight-up bad girl; I was a con artist and a thief, and I thought I was pretty darn cool. Y'know, 'steal from the rich, give to myself' kinda deal?"

She grimaces at the thought of her earlier lawless days.

"But then I saw people were hurtin', the people no one cared about, and I decided to use my gifts to actually try and make the world a better place. And maybe I'm stupid, but I think I actually have."

The shapeshifter grinned and shrugged.

"So, if a no-good punk like me can turn over a new leaf, why can't you, right?"

• 3 weeks later...

He appreciated the sentiments given by his friends, kind words of support and acceptance, of redemption and second chances, but he felt even worse than ever. There had always been a gnawing sense of regret for accepting the offer of the Seven Shadow's Path to battle the Razorwing to make it's power his own, but now he came to full understanding of his actions. These people, his comrades, would have accepted him back into their group if he had only asked, but he had thrown that chance out the window the moment he realized his true nature.

"Thank you. All of you." Taking a deep breath through his nostrils then sipping his coffee, he exhaled the warmth through his mouth. "And I'm sorry. For whatever inconvenience I may have put on you, for the things I've done in my past, and for the things I will do in the future." The last sentence resounded with an undeniable tone of base intent.

• 3 weeks later...

"And I'm sorry. For whatever inconvenience I may have put on you, for the things I've done in my past, and for the things I will do in the future."

Something about this last statement raised Lynn's hackles, and she took a tentative step away from Kris. This did not sound good at all.

"Uh, interesting choice of words there, buddy; would you rephrase that for me? High school dropout, so you know I'm kinda slow..."

Below the edge of the table, the changeling's fingers began to twitch, and thin traces of vapor rose from her palm.

"And I'm sorry. For whatever inconvenience I may have put on you, for the things I've done in my past, and for the things I will do in the future."

Colt had had his back turned to Razorwing when he muttered that sentence. Though he couldn't see his former teamate's face, he still found it amiss. Colt's left eye gave a slight involuntary twitch. His right hand relaxed and became perfectly still even with the coffee cup still in it. Colt knew that in less than a quarter of a second, he could have his gun out and aimed at Razorwing. Reckon that sounds like he ain't come back t'pologize't all.

"Yea, how 'bout that, partner? I reckon I could us'a 'nother go't that'n too."

• 2 months later...

"Uh, interesting choice of words there, buddy; would you rephrase that for me? High school dropout, so you know I'm kinda slow..."

Below the edge of the table, the changeling's fingers began to twitch, and thin traces of vapor rose from her palm.

Colt's left eye gave a slight involuntary twitch. His right hand relaxed and became perfectly still even with the coffee cup still in it. Colt knew that in less than a quarter of a second, he could have his gun out and aimed at Razorwing. Reckon that sounds like he ain't come back t'pologize't all.

"Yea, how 'bout that, partner? I reckon I could us'a 'nother go't that'n too."

In the span of just a few heartbeats the tension in the air grew thick enough to cut with a knife. Admittedly he showed his hand too early, but what was the point of beating around the bush? He came back to Freedom City with a mission in mind, and whether his former teammates would accept the road he was taking or not, he truly hoped they knew they were all on the same side.

"I'm not going to bore you with details, but I want you to know that I am nothing more than a weapon. For better or worse, I've been trained for a singular purpose, and that purpose isn't very pleasant."

Taking another sip of his coffee he continued. "I've thought long and hard about what to do with my life, and I've come to a decision," he said as he swept his eyes across the kitchen, taking in the reactions from the Interceptors. "Freedom City is a beacon. It's been that way for as long as history's been written. Revolutionary, civil, alien, and infernal wars have been fought here. The champions of righteousness and the minions of tyranny have clashed here. Gods and monsters have walked on the very same ground you and I stand on right now. This place," emphasising his words with a hard tap on the kitchen table, "is where everything that really matters will happen. Sides are chosen and lines are drawn. To some the sides are clear and the lines are uncrossable. But to others," he let his words hang in the air for a moment, "not so much."

He knew his choice of words were grounds for an all-out brawl with Colt, Grim, and Jack, so he was quick to raise a reassuring hand. "Before you all jump me, let me finish. I know there are rules in Freedom City. I can follow rules. I'd be dead a hundred times over by now if I couldn't," his voice became low and harsh, much like the tone he used in costume, but much more passionate. He spoke of himself now, hoping his former teammates would catch the meaning of his metaphor. "There's a storm coming, but even the Darkest clouds have a Silver lining. If you ever need Razorwing, I'll be there. As for Kristian Gerber," he picked up his duffel bag and slung it over his shoulder,"you might as well forget he even existed."

As quick at the draw as Colt was, he was almost never quick with words. He preferred to let things sit and settle before he talked. He like hearing everything others had to say before he expressed his own opinion.

True to form, as Kris turned and walked from the kitchen Colt silently lifted his coffee mug and drained the last of the hot liquid. Swallowing quickly, Colt spoke, "Kris," He slammed the mug down on the counter. Colt turned to look at Kris down the length of the entrance way hall of the brownstone. His look was full of a mixture of feelings. Kris sensed some resentment, and remorse. But Colt's eyes were not without anger either. What Kris was doing was downright unfair, and for once, Colt didn't think he could do anything about it. Colt's eyes narrowed slightly, "I reckon I never ferget'a friend." With that, he turned, and walked through the doorway to a room at the back of the house, out of sight.

• 1 month later...

"Before you all jump me, let me finish. I know there are rules in Freedom City. I can follow rules. I'd be dead a hundred times over by now if I couldn't," his voice became low and harsh, much like the tone he used in costume, but much more passionate. He spoke of himself now, hoping his former teammates would catch the meaning of his metaphor. "There's a storm coming, but even the Darkest clouds have a Silver lining. If you ever need Razorwing, I'll be there. As for Kristian Gerber," he picked up his duffel bag and slung it over his shoulder,"you might as well forget he even existed."

Grim put her coffee cup on the counter sharply, sending a hairline crack through the ceramic, then raised her voice at the withdrawing figure.

"So what, you're goin' full-on vigilante now? The 'dark avenger of the streets, walking the thin line between light and darkness'? That's ****ing bull****, man! It doesn't work!

Then her voice broke as angry tears formed in her eyes.

"And how dare you show up at our doorstep, after months of us worrying, just to tell us you're ****ing dead?"

She had to do this, didn't she? She had to make this harder than it had to be.

Kris turned around to look down the hallway, seeing both Billy and Lynn's faces masked in hurt and disapproval. What else could he say? Tell them the truth, or just let them believe he was the monster his reputation burdened him with?

"No, don't you put this on me!" he declared, dropping his duffel and walking back towards the kitchen area. "Don't you dare put this on me!"

He realized he was shaking with anger, at what he couldn't really say. Was it because his intentions were misread by his former teammates, or was it because deep down, he knew he was in the wrong and he was taking the easy way out?

"No, don't you put this on me!" he declared, dropping his duffel and walking back towards the kitchen area. "Don't you dare put this on me!"

Lynn marched right up to chest, her big brown eyes filled with anger and hurt as she glared up at him, arms rigid at her sides.

“Yes, I am putting it on you, Kris, because you’re the one who’s turning his back on his team, again, with little or no explanation! If there’s something else going on, tell us, you schmuck! Otherwise what the hell was the point of waking us up at five am to tell us you’re dead? Why come back at all?†:evil:

As much as Kris wanted to tell Lynn off, she did make her point. He had come to make peace and explain his actions to the rest of the team, and here he was telling them that he'd be there if they needed him, but not to forget they had ever been teammates. And she was right, there were reasons he felt he needed to leave, though he was leery of saying what those reasons were exactly. He never trusted Doktor Archeville, and he had no doubts that VINCE monitored everything that went on in the house.

"OK, you're right Lynn. Maybe I shouldn't have come back. Maybe I should have just stayed out there shooting at people for money. Maybe I shouldn't have thought that I could do better with my life!"

As soon as the words came from his mouth, he knew he was in the wrong. What he wanted to say was that he regretted what he had done, and falling into his old ways was just a way of getting his head back together. His posture slumped. He had been up for almost three days now, and just narrowly eluded an assassination attempt at the hands of the Seven Shadows' Path before he departed Japan. He was always quick to anger, and exhaustion wasn't helping at all.

He lowered his head so that the bill of his cap covered his eyes. "I'm sorry," was all he could muster, and even then his words were little more than a whisper.

"OK, you're right Lynn. Maybe I shouldn't have come back. Maybe I should have just stayed out there shooting at people for money. Maybe I shouldn't have thought that I could do better with my life!"

Lynn's nostrils flared and her eyes were wide with fury, as she braced herself for the next round of verbal attacks, but they never came. His last outburst seemed to drain all the energy out of Kris's body, and he sagged liked a defeated soldier.

"I'm sorry,"

Her brown eyes now sparkling with tears, the tiny shapeshifter threw her arms around the clearly-exhausted teen, and just held him for several quiet seconds, affectionatly rubbing his back.

"Okay, no more shouting, I promise." She took a step backward and laid a gentle hand on his cheek. "Kris honey, you need to get some sleep; God knows we've got beds to spare, or you can just crash on the couch, if you want."

She turned to look over her shoulder back to her fellow teammates, then back to Razorwing.

"Look, I'm not sayin' you have to stay or move back or even call yourself an Interceptor; I'm just saying a hot shower and a few hours of sleep will help you feel human again, alright?"

"Okay, no more shouting, I promise." She took a step backward and laid a gentle hand on his cheek. "Kris honey, you need to get some sleep; God knows we've got beds to spare, or you can just crash on the couch, if you want."

She turned to look over her shoulder back to her fellow teammates, then back to Razorwing.

"Look, I'm not sayin' you have to stay or move back or even call yourself an Interceptor; I'm just saying a hot shower and a few hours of sleep will help you feel human again, alright?"

Kris returned the embrace, thankful for a sympathetic soul. It had been too long since he was treated as a person and not an asset.

"Yeah a hot shower and some rack time sounds good, Lynn. Thank you." He went in for another hug and laid his weary head on Lynn's shoulder. The gesture seemed innocent enough, but he had a trick up his sleeve. Before pulling away, he whispered into the fae's ear, low enough that it couldn't be heard by Billy, Jack, or whatever listening devices lay hidden in the brownstone.

"Midnight. Ocean heights. Come alone."

Putting his hands on Lynn's shoulder's and pushing away from her, he smiled and asked, "Can we eat the omelettes first?"

"Tomorrow night, Ocean Heights. Please."

Lynn's sensitive ears picked up the faint whisper, and she responded with just the slightest of nods as she let him go.

"Can we eat the omelettes first?"

The changeling's smile was warm as she chuckled.

"Sure thing, kiddo; I make damn good waffles, too, y'know." :D