Monsters? In the Streets!? - AEGIS HQ (IC)

Geez3r

"Now what was that you were saying about there being many of you? Such a primitive way of thinking is it not little girl?"

Despite her best efforts to avoid the blow, the Grue's appendage slammed into the side of Gossamer's face, but at least she was able to turn with the blow, which saved her from a broken nose. The chemist-turned-superheroine winced as she reached up to the bruise, but then her grimace turned to a sneer of contempt.

"Our diversity is our strength, whereas your banal uniformity is your weakness and your curse!"

She formed her hair into a massive battering ram and launched it directly at the Grue's chest! Sadly, it looked like it didn't have quite the impact she was hoping for, so she quickly reformed the limb into a golden constrictor snake that wrapped itself around the alien's torso.

The Grue's taunting stopped for a moment as the golden hammer hit home with a statisfying "ooph" issuing from the Grue in question however. His attempts at escape were naught, and in a moment Gossamer had him held fast. However, when dealing with a hive mind, they infuriating always had another voice to speak with. "Yes, because the Grue are known throughout the universe for being unchanging." taunts the other elastic Grue as it needlessly warps its extended limbs in a strange pattern before lashing out at Gossamer in a weird Capeoria-style attack.

The brusier type Grue for their part, set about wrecking the place, clapping their hands together, creating massive shockwaves that tear through computers, desks and walls, spraying the area with shrapnel.

• 3 weeks later...

"Von down..."

Archeville was alone with Athena, the advanced computer system which stored the memories of key AEGIS agents, tracked criminal activity worldwide, and coordinated the agency’s considerable information resources. Rumor was, Athena was an actual AI.

Ah, such a sleek design... and me with only this unconscious Grue for company...

Not so fast!

Oh, but... I'm just looking to save this valuable information! Get it out of Grue hands... pseudopods... whatever, before-

Yeah, yeah; pull the other one, it has bells on it.

Well let me just put a little lock on it to prevent them from accessing-

And by 'lock' you mean 'back door you can use to sneak in any time you want'?

Why shouldn't I? I can put their data to better use than they can!

That is... incorrect, on many levels, and we are going now to stop that other one before it hurts anyone!

Oh, they can handle themselves, and they knew the perils of the job when they took it!

That is no excuse for leaving them to indulge yourself!

Tearing himself away, Archeville adjusted his techno-wand to perform a detailed life signs scan, seeking in particular the other Grue "Wraith" like the one that lay at his feet. He did access Athena's files for a brief moment, but only allowed himself to access the building's schematics, so he could best figure out where the other Grue was in order to teleport to it.

C'mon, just a little peek!

No!

"Match found... coordinates locked... here ve go!"

Anyone at the area where the other Grue "Wraith" was would feel a slight twinge of vertigo as spacetime was gravimetrically warped. The Doktor appeared in a flash of blue-gray light, not very far from the other Grue. It was in a hallway, between rooms, and appeared to be looking for something.

One little blast and-

Wait! Let us talk to it first! We may find out their plans, and at the very least, it will distract it enough so it does not do any more harm.

Assuming it listens... oh, fine, let's try it your way. And when your way fails, you'll know to listen to me next time!

"Hello dere, Grue invader!," the Doktor proclaimed. "Vhat brings you here dis time? Our vater? Our vomen? Dis s, vhat, de third invasion? De last two did not go so vell, did dey? Especially dat last von -- beaten by a child, ja? Tsk, tsk, tsk... vell, I am sure von of dese days you vill find someding to appease you. But vhat is it you vant, eh? Power? Power is not an end, it is a means to an end -- vhat do you vant? Oh, perhaps you are just seeking for a place to live, but dink you can only do so through conquest? Vell, dat is not true! I mean, ja, immigration is a hassle, und dat is just local, planetary scale dings, de complexities of interplanetary immigration vould be exponentially more difficult... but surely dey can be vorked out, ja? Are you not tired of de distrust dat shapeshifters alvays face? You do not haff to play into de stereotype, you can be vhatever you choose to be -- literally!"

"Immigration is soemding I alvays found fascinating, both because I am von, und in part because de continent I am from holds de most immigrants in de vorld. As of 2006, de United States accepts more legal immigrants as permanent residents dan all other countries in the world combined, vhich has helped energize de country, und...."

The Doktor went on and on about immigration, hoping to at least distract the creature from whatever it was doing.

Ace ducked and rolled as walls and computers shattered and sparked under the onslaught of the grue. He caught some shapnel from an exploding view screen though luckily his vest too the brunt of the damage. He came to his feet between the rampaging brutes with a cocky grin, "Well ugly," he snarked at his best, "While I appreciate the applause, you really could do better than that don't you think?" He gave a small shake of his head leaving an intentional opening for the grue to attempt to exploit, "Come on and see if you can manage something useful you pathetic slug."

• 1 month later...

Gossamer blocked her face whith both arms as millions of shrapnel micro-blades flew through the air, tearing the room apart; they had to take these damn shapeshifters down fast, or there was no telling how many lives would be lost.

"Yes, because the Grue are known throughout the universe for being unchanging."

These Grue certainly did love to hear themsleves talk! Estelle began whipping her captive Grue around and around the room like an amusement park ride gone mad as she tossed back a reply.

"Oh, I wasn't talking about your amorphous bodies; I was refering, of course, to your limited intellect, predictabe invasion tactics and stagnant lack of creativity. It's the same damn script over and over again, isn't it? Because a hivemind always rots from within!"

With as much force as she could manage, the fighting chemist hurled her prey at the chatty Grue who tried to strike her.