What games do you play?

Barnum

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently downloaded a pdf of Twilight 2000 when it was being offered for free on a website.

Cool. I primarily bought it as a resource for an Aberrant online game set in 2056 in the heart of the Aberrant War (i.e. war between humans and superpowered mutants), probably the best campaign I've ever run. Folks still ask me if I'm ever going to write it up as a free pdf game resource, and I really should. T2000 is definitly cool enough to play by itself, though.

I recently downloaded a pdf of Twilight 2000 when it was being offered for free on a website.

Cool. I primarily bought it as a resource for an Aberrant online game set in 2056 in the heart of the Aberrant War (i.e. war between humans and superpowered mutants), probably the best campaign I've ever run. Folks still ask me if I'm ever going to write it up as a free pdf game resource, and I really should. T2000 is definitly cool enough to play by itself, though.

Now I'm the one who is geek deficient. I had to google Twilight 2000 and Aberrant. :oops:

And . . .

I drew up Business Clown ('This clown means business' was his catchphrase), who was sort of like a weird melding of Batman and the Joker - lots of fun!

:shock:

I find that really, really creepy.

Now I'm the one who is geek deficient. I had to google Twilight 2000 and Aberrant. :oops:

And . . .

I drew up Business Clown ('This clown means business' was his catchphrase), who was sort of like a weird melding of Batman and the Joker - lots of fun!

Jeez, expect me to remember something from twenty years ago Shadowboxer? :D

You could make an Intelligence check, which you clearly passed. :D

Thanks for the info! V&V does seem to be similar to D&D but with a much better combat system. I've only been aware of V&V for a few years and I was really curious how another superhero game handled mechanics. So far, it would appear M&M holds the contender title for the most streamlined, but V&V has a compelling system.

Jeez, expect me to remember something from twenty years ago Shadowboxer? :D

Thanks for the info! V&V does seem to be similar to D&D but with a much better combat system. I've only been aware of V&V for a few years and I was really curious how another superhero game handled mechanics. So far, it would appear M&M holds the contender title for the most streamlined, but V&V has a compelling system.

Actually he was more like a clown wearing Ray-Bans, an Armani suit and a silver cape with purple polka dots. He also had roller skates hidden in his italian leather shoes and carried a bulletproof breifcase for protection, and the ability to create a cloud of darkness and shoot weakness rays from his hands (random rolls on the power chart). I played him totally straight, like Batman-meets-Dirty Harry, and he hardly ever told any jokes. As scary a clown as he was, his enemy Lord Ozob (spell it backwards) and his 'Clown Brothers' Circus' were far more sinister; they used to give kids cotton candy that gave them dysentery :nono: One of my all-time favorite characters actually, just because he was so bizarre.

Actually he was more like a clown wearing Ray-Bans, an Armani suit and a silver cape with purple polka dots. He also had roller skates hidden in his italian leather shoes and carried a bulletproof breifcase for protection, and the ability to create a cloud of darkness and shoot weakness rays from his hands (random rolls on the power chart). I played him totally straight, like Batman-meets-Dirty Harry, and he hardly ever told any jokes. As scary a clown as he was, his enemy Lord Ozob (spell it backwards) and his 'Clown Brothers' Circus' were far more sinister; they used to give kids cotton candy that gave them dysentery :nono: One of my all-time favorite characters actually, just because he was so bizarre.

There were a lot of interesting things about V&V. Now your making me want to find my old books and try it out again :)

There were a lot of interesting things about V&V. Now your making me want to find my old books and try it out again :)

Only game I'm current playing is M&M 2E (this one, and the [dying] Living Supers game at EN*World).

I have played:

[*:1p1mo6bx]Abberant
    [*:1p1mo6bx]All Flesh Must Be Eaten
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Big Eyes, Small Mouth
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Call of Cthulhu D20
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Champions/HERO System 4th Ed., 5th Ed., and 5th Ed. Revised
    [*:1p1mo6bx]DC Heroes RPG
    [*:1p1mo6bx]DC Universe RPG
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Deadlands
    [*:1p1mo6bx]D20 Modern and D20 Future (using the Dark*Matter campaign setting for the most part, though a few sessions were in the Weird Wars setting)
    [*:1p1mo6bx]D&D (Basic), AD&D, AD&D 2nd. Ed., D&D 3E, and D&D 3.5; mostly the Greyhawk campaign, but some Rokugan
    [*:1p1mo6bx]GURPS, 3rd Ed.
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Heroes Unlimited
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Mage: The Ascension
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Marvel Super Heroes RPG
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Marvel Universe RPG (it sucked!)
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Mutants & Masterminds (both 1st and 2nd Ed.)
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Nightspawn (er, Nightbane)
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Rifts
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Shadowrun (3rd Ed.)
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Silver Age Sentinels
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Vampire: the Masquerade

Only game I'm current playing is M&M 2E (this one, and the [dying] Living Supers game at EN*World).

I have played:

[*:1p1mo6bx]Abberant
    [*:1p1mo6bx]All Flesh Must Be Eaten
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Big Eyes, Small Mouth
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Call of Cthulhu D20
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Champions/HERO System 4th Ed., 5th Ed., and 5th Ed. Revised
    [*:1p1mo6bx]DC Heroes RPG
    [*:1p1mo6bx]DC Universe RPG
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Deadlands
    [*:1p1mo6bx]D20 Modern and D20 Future (using the Dark*Matter campaign setting for the most part, though a few sessions were in the Weird Wars setting)
    [*:1p1mo6bx]D&D (Basic), AD&D, AD&D 2nd. Ed., D&D 3E, and D&D 3.5; mostly the Greyhawk campaign, but some Rokugan
    [*:1p1mo6bx]GURPS, 3rd Ed.
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Heroes Unlimited
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Mage: The Ascension
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Marvel Super Heroes RPG
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Marvel Universe RPG (it sucked!)
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Mutants & Masterminds (both 1st and 2nd Ed.)
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Nightspawn (er, Nightbane)
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Rifts
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Shadowrun (3rd Ed.)
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Silver Age Sentinels
    [*:1p1mo6bx]Vampire: the Masquerade

As an avid player of HERO, I am watching these developments closely. It was fairly funny the first time I heard of it, actually. My friend told me Steve had a big announcement coming up and he was all excited over the possibility of a Champions MMO. I thought the idea was patently absurd, myself. The company was near to bankruptcy only a few years back, and the shear amount of money that they would have to throw at a project this huge would be staggering. It didn't seem like a realistic goal to me.

Shows what I know, I guess. :)

(And I know that Cryptic simply bought the rights and is developing the game on it's own, but it's still a move from out of left field to my mind.)

As an avid player of HERO, I am watching these developments closely. It was fairly funny the first time I heard of it, actually. My friend told me Steve had a big announcement coming up and he was all excited over the possibility of a Champions MMO. I thought the idea was patently absurd, myself. The company was near to bankruptcy only a few years back, and the shear amount of money that they would have to throw at a project this huge would be staggering. It didn't seem like a realistic goal to me.

Shows what I know, I guess. :)

(And I know that Cryptic simply bought the rights and is developing the game on it's own, but it's still a move from out of left field to my mind.)

Well, its not going to be the HERO system perse, but the developers have stated that they will be going for more coustomizable heroes (unlike City of Heroes) in terms of powers and the like. But, that was what City of Heroes was originally supposed to be like as well, but they changed it about a year before release because the realized people might make gimped heroes and get frustrated and stop playing.

One interesting thing they have said will be part of the character creation process...when you finish your hero, you are also required to make your hero's archenemy (picking the name, powers and apperance of that villain), and that archenemy will be a regular opponent thoughout your character's career (though apparently there are ways to remove them permanetly, at which point you have to create a new archenemy).

They have also said that combat will be more fast paced, and tactics and strategy will be important.

Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Well, its not going to be the HERO system perse, but the developers have stated that they will be going for more coustomizable heroes (unlike City of Heroes) in terms of powers and the like. But, that was what City of Heroes was originally supposed to be like as well, but they changed it about a year before release because the realized people might make gimped heroes and get frustrated and stop playing.

One interesting thing they have said will be part of the character creation process...when you finish your hero, you are also required to make your hero's archenemy (picking the name, powers and apperance of that villain), and that archenemy will be a regular opponent thoughout your character's career (though apparently there are ways to remove them permanetly, at which point you have to create a new archenemy).

They have also said that combat will be more fast paced, and tactics and strategy will be important.

Will be interesting to see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they continue to provide little bits of information, so its hard to say what is really going on, but sounds like the game should be pretty cool.

One thing is that lots of people interested in the game have taken an interest to learning more about the Champions Universe, so HERO Games sales on those books could go up :)

One thing is that lots of people interested in the game have taken an interest to learning more about the Champions Universe, so HERO Games sales on those books could go up :)

Which is sorta a shame, since Cryptic's going to be changing things around (visually, at the very least), and anything published by HERO Games for the Champions tabletop game will have to reflect that new Champions-verse, not the one seen in the currently-available books. So there may be confusion.

Well, that might be a problem, but there is clearly an effort being put out by HERO games to accomodate the players of CO in the hopes that some will become fans of the HERO system pen and paper game. This thread, http://forums.champions-online.com/show ... php?t=2426, was started by a person that wanted information about Millennium City University to tie into thier character's background. Steve Long of HERO games replied with what little information the had a the time, and as a result of interest, has started to work on a pdf only Hero Adventures Plus product to further detail the university!