Call of Cthulhu BRP, Call fo Cthulhu d20

Shadowrun 1st, nd, 3rd, & 4th Ed

Rifts, TNMT, Robotech

MERP, Role master

Lord of teh RIngs

Marvel Super Heros, DC Heros, MnM2E

Northern Crown, Feng SHui, Ars Magica

All Flesh Must Be eaten, Most OWoD,

SPirits of teh Century, Prime Time Adventures, Secret Lives of Gingerbread Men, Squirel Attack, Paranoia, Best Friends, Contenders, DOgs in the Vineyards,

Star Wars d6, Starwars d20 & Revised, Star Wars Saga,

Champions, Warhammer Fantasy Role Playing, Savage Worlds,

Traveller, and a Star Trek game... I think thats it there could be more

Games I want to play

Hero's Banner, Mortle Coil, Sorcerer, Bruning Wheel, Burning Empires, Primitive, and many others. Don't Rest Your head, and many more I cant think of right now.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going on a limb here and guessing that this is your favourite Paper and Pen RPG.

It's definitely one of my favourites at the moment. I remember cracking open Champions and decided I should pursue a career in mathematics before I build a character. It's a common criticism but it's common for a reason. Don't even get me started on Heroes Unlimited.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever played Villains and Vigilantes?

DitV, Burning Wheel, and Nobilis are all great games. Of those three DitV is my favorite. :)

Awesome! I've heard great reviews from gamers and critics alike. I'm looking forward to playing it. :)

I'm going on a limb here and guessing that this is your favourite Paper and Pen RPG.

It's definitely one of my favourites at the moment. I remember cracking open Champions and decided I should pursue a career in mathematics before I build a character. It's a common criticism but it's common for a reason. Don't even get me started on Heroes Unlimited.

DitV, Burning Wheel, and Nobilis are all great games. Of those three DitV is my favorite. :)

Awesome! I've heard great reviews from gamers and critics alike. I'm looking forward to playing it. :)

There is not enough MnM for my liking. Really hacking me off as this is the most lenient system i know off.

I'm sure there'll be more for M&M as time goes on.

What I like about the system's leniency is that GMs and players can focus on story-telling but there's enough crunch for a satisfying fight with villains or robots or dinosaurs.

No, I don't work for Green Ronin. :D

There is not enough MnM for my liking. Really hacking me off as this is the most lenient system i know off.

I'm sure there'll be more for M&M as time goes on.

What I like about the system's leniency is that GMs and players can focus on story-telling but there's enough crunch for a satisfying fight with villains or robots or dinosaurs.

No, I don't work for Green Ronin. :D

V&V used to be my superhero game of choice, then it was Champions.

V&V used to be my superhero game of choice, then it was Champions.

I'm sort of surprised you do like M&M, the more I've seen of the other RPGs you like. Seems like D20 typically isn't your cup of tea. But we're all glad you do. :)

It is weird. I do like D20 when I'm in the mood for a crunchy, tactical/strategic combat simulator (which isn't very often).

But then again, I'm always in the mood for superheros.

Go figure.

I'm sort of surprised you do like M&M, the more I've seen of the other RPGs you like. Seems like D20 typically isn't your cup of tea. But we're all glad you do. :)

It is weird. I do like D20 when I'm in the mood for a crunchy, tactical/strategic combat simulator (which isn't very often).

But then again, I'm always in the mood for superheros.

Go figure.

What type of system did / does V&V use for action resolution and character creation? If you don't mind me asking.

:)

Jeez, expect me to remember something from twenty years ago Shadowboxer? :D

V&V’s system had a lot of similarities to 1st Edition D&D (or Basic D&D even), so I guess in a way it was a precursor to M&M, hehe. (I don’t know if they licensed the system similarities from TSR or just copied them and didn’t get sued).

For character creation, you rolled 3d6 to generate stats. There was Strength, Endurance, Agility, Intelligence and Charisma. (if you were lucky, the GM would let you assign the rolls)

Like D&D (or M&M), these gave you various bonuses for things. Str, End, Agil and Int all gave you a “hit mod†that was part of the calculation for your hit points (End giving larger adjustment than an equal str, agil or int value. Int giving the lowest adjustment). These hit mods were fractional, so you might have a 1.2 from strength, and a 1.5 from End, etc. All four were multiplied together to give you your hit mod, which was then multiplied by your “basic hits†(which was based on your weight- which I think you rolled randomly for, lol) to give you your hits (basically hit points). (Yes, there was a bit of math in character creation, lol). This had the effect of making characters that had very high weight (from growth or density or something) have tons of hits, so long as they had decent stats.

Agility gave you bonuses to hit and to damage, and Strength and Intelligence also gave some bonuses to these, I think Str might have been to hit and Int might have been to damage, but can’t remember off the top of my head.

There were levels in the game, like D&D levels, and this mainly just affected what you needed to hit the opponent, lower level characters having a harder time hitting higher, and higher having an easier time with lower. (I seem to recall there were groupings, like 1st to 3rd level characters had no adjustments in fighting each other or something like that).

Your to hit number was further adjusted based on the power you might be using (be it a power blast or just straight hand to hand) and any “defenses†the target might have (such as a flame using hero targeting an ice using villain).

Damages were based on the attack (or your carrying capacity for HTH attacks). This varied from 1d8, 1d10, 1d12, and the like. One of the heaviest hitting powers was power blast, which did 1d20 in damage. (so a very agile hero with power blast could do like 1d20+5 in damage with bonuses). Really strong characters were the ones that could dish out the most damage though, with damages reaching things like 4d10 and higher.

Needless to say, “balance†was not really part of the game. Lol.

But, that said, the combat in the game could be really exciting, and very much capture the feel of super battles in comic books. As long as the heroes and villains were relatively close in power and levels, the fights could really be interesting. I remember one fight where some villains had teamed up to try to take out the group of heroes, so they had a slight numbers advantage. The fight was pretty brutal, and only with a last minute change of sides by one of the villains did the heroes manage to prevail (with most of the heroes unconscious by the end of the fight as it was).

What type of system did / does V&V use for action resolution and character creation? If you don't mind me asking.

:)

Jeez, expect me to remember something from twenty years ago Shadowboxer? :D

V&V’s system had a lot of similarities to 1st Edition D&D (or Basic D&D even), so I guess in a way it was a precursor to M&M, hehe. (I don’t know if they licensed the system similarities from TSR or just copied them and didn’t get sued).

For character creation, you rolled 3d6 to generate stats. There was Strength, Endurance, Agility, Intelligence and Charisma. (if you were lucky, the GM would let you assign the rolls)

Like D&D (or M&M), these gave you various bonuses for things. Str, End, Agil and Int all gave you a “hit mod†that was part of the calculation for your hit points (End giving larger adjustment than an equal str, agil or int value. Int giving the lowest adjustment). These hit mods were fractional, so you might have a 1.2 from strength, and a 1.5 from End, etc. All four were multiplied together to give you your hit mod, which was then multiplied by your “basic hits†(which was based on your weight- which I think you rolled randomly for, lol) to give you your hits (basically hit points). (Yes, there was a bit of math in character creation, lol). This had the effect of making characters that had very high weight (from growth or density or something) have tons of hits, so long as they had decent stats.

Agility gave you bonuses to hit and to damage, and Strength and Intelligence also gave some bonuses to these, I think Str might have been to hit and Int might have been to damage, but can’t remember off the top of my head.

There were levels in the game, like D&D levels, and this mainly just affected what you needed to hit the opponent, lower level characters having a harder time hitting higher, and higher having an easier time with lower. (I seem to recall there were groupings, like 1st to 3rd level characters had no adjustments in fighting each other or something like that).

Your to hit number was further adjusted based on the power you might be using (be it a power blast or just straight hand to hand) and any “defenses†the target might have (such as a flame using hero targeting an ice using villain).

Damages were based on the attack (or your carrying capacity for HTH attacks). This varied from 1d8, 1d10, 1d12, and the like. One of the heaviest hitting powers was power blast, which did 1d20 in damage. (so a very agile hero with power blast could do like 1d20+5 in damage with bonuses). Really strong characters were the ones that could dish out the most damage though, with damages reaching things like 4d10 and higher.

Needless to say, “balance†was not really part of the game. Lol.

But, that said, the combat in the game could be really exciting, and very much capture the feel of super battles in comic books. As long as the heroes and villains were relatively close in power and levels, the fights could really be interesting. I remember one fight where some villains had teamed up to try to take out the group of heroes, so they had a slight numbers advantage. The fight was pretty brutal, and only with a last minute change of sides by one of the villains did the heroes manage to prevail (with most of the heroes unconscious by the end of the fight as it was).

First superhero game I ever played was V&V back in high school, when I drew up Business Clown ('This clown means business' was his catchphrase), who was sort of like a weird meldling of Batman and the Joker - lots of fun!

Probably the three games I've played the most are D&D (1e, 3e and 3.5), Ars Magica (3rd through 5th) and Aberrant, but I run a semi-regular Adventure! session at Gen Con as well, and I've played a lot of games once (Toon, Paranoia, Call of Cthulhu). The games I'd most like to play and/or run would be Castle Falkenstein, Space: 1889 and Twilight 2000 (I own all three).

First superhero game I ever played was V&V back in high school, when I drew up Business Clown ('This clown means business' was his catchphrase), who was sort of like a weird meldling of Batman and the Joker - lots of fun!

Probably the three games I've played the most are D&D (1e, 3e and 3.5), Ars Magica (3rd through 5th) and Aberrant, but I run a semi-regular Adventure! session at Gen Con as well, and I've played a lot of games once (Toon, Paranoia, Call of Cthulhu). The games I'd most like to play and/or run would be Castle Falkenstein, Space: 1889 and Twilight 2000 (I own all three).