No Mutation Without Representation! (OOC)

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, that works. I'll assume you're using skill mastery, and hit a really high DC because, well, you're Divine.

It is in fact Hot Shoe's turn. However, at this point, the encounter is pretty much over. With the only two conscious members of the Academy being Stellar and Hot Shoe, and Stellar being staggered, they're going to make a hasty retreat.

This is in accordance with what I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, "expect the bad guys to get away, but they will be doing so with their tails between their legs."

So This is officially the end of combat rounds. I'll be making an IC update with some descriptions and the like. After that, Y'all're free to RP until such time that you wish to continue. There will be no set posting order, or deadlines until combat rounds begin again, and do not worry, you'll be able to tell when that happens ;)

Um, if Hot Shoe fails for Divine's Distraction (and since she'd get a 44, he probably will be), doesn't that mean he does nothing (but gawk at her bewbs)? Distracted = takes no action, but not flat-footed.

Unless Stellar's action is to carry him away... but if he's staggered, that's a bit difficult ;)

I'm all too familiar with Distract, after that stunt Durf pulled with Ace Danger in Knievel's trial.

Since I am basically ignoring the Distract attempt, Divine gets another HP, though I loathe to give it out since she has so many.

Also, before the start of the next encounter/set of encounters, all heroes with 0HP are rewarded 1HP. Because I don't want anyone to be without that buffer. Fortunately for me, this applies only to Sarah. The new status looks like this:

Dr. Archeville -- [] -- Unharmed -- 3HP

Jack of all Blades -- [] -- Bruised x1 -- 3HP

Sarah Prescott -- [] -- Bruised x1 -- 1HP

Phalanx -- [] -- Unharmed -- 4HP

Divine -- [] -- Unharmed -- 5HP

You have some time before the next encounter, but I wouldn't wait too long ;)

Doc's going to heal Jack of all Blades; since he's (disturbingly) familiar with Jack's physiology, he knows what frequencies of energy he could absorb which would stimulate his metabolism in order to accelerate healing.

Thus, setting Gadgets to

Healing 7 (Drawback: Only on subjects with some sort of energy absorption power)

I'm not sure how much that Drawback would be worth, or even if it would be worth anything, so I'm not counting it as being worth anything, but still listing it for flavor. And total rank isn't really important, since any use of Healing automatically removes on Bruise.

Whether or not Jack lets Archeville touch him, though, given certain recent events, is a different matter... ;)

In case you would like to relay the information to your fellows, Phalanx sees the following.

Penetrating Gaze: The building has been locked down. Being that there was already a dangerous threat inside the compound, in lieu of an evacuation, the workers and businessmen inside holed themselves up in certain well fortified panic rooms. Or so Phalanx assumes, due to the one to two rooms on each floor of the building which his gaze cannot penetrate. It seems this building was well planned out in terms of defense. Each of these rooms is oriented directly on top of one another on every floor. For those odd rooms out that seem to be the extra panic room on any given floor, they are never adjacent to the outside of the building, or the other panic room. They are spaced approximately equidistant from the other panic room, and the opposite outside wall. Since Phalanx's gaze cannot penetrate these rooms, however, whatever is behind them is covered by them, and therefore invisible to him as well.

Notice DC 15: Phalanx's scan of the building yields other information as well. The defense systems seem to be active. At least, that is the likely conclusion that can be drawn from the veritable army of drones patrolling each floor of the building. They are comical looking, more similar to trash cans with wheels than a combat unit. They zip around the floors at a good clip, looking for intruders (presumably).

Notice DC 20: You're gaze leads you to examine a long structure that descends underground from the center of the building. Likely an elevator shaft of some sort, it descends a good 500ft beneath the building, and enters another structure. The shaft extends into the above building, ending on the second floor, though it looks like the first floor is where one may obtain access, the second floor seems to house controls and the like.

Notice DC 25: The higher floors of the subterranean structure are not crawling with the same drones as above. Instead, they are teeming with what does look like combat ready units. As if that is not unsettling enough, Phalanx can see, by the light of the red emergency lights on these floors that the drones have taken up what looks to be defensive positions at key tactical points on the first floor. Many have assumed a crouched position behind cover that seems to have extended from the walls, and all are focused on the elevator shaft which appears to be the only way in. In addition, it is clear to Phalanx that the first floor is not the only floor in this subterranean complex. The lower floors, however, are once again housed in some sort of material that seems to block Phalanx's vision.

Addendum: As if it needed to be said, there is no sign of Captain Knievel anywhere within the complex.

Doc: Doc knows of the security protocols in the building, and can tell from any of the above descriptions that it is on highest alert. The mini drones on the upper floors are simply mobile alarms/recon units that trigger wall and ceiling mounted laser rifles. He also knows that most if not all of the portals in the building will have been sealed with nigh impenetrable blast doors by this point. Those are the only two security protocols that should be active. Though if whoever is an intruder here were to get their hands on certain files and schematics, there may be other more experimental security protocols active that should still be on the drawing board...

Addendum: Your reconfigure/healing actions take how long? One full round for the healing, plus one standard to reconfigure?

Its under discussion in the Ref forum for clarification but Penetrates concealment isn't stopped by anything by default (Though x-Ray vision described later is stopped by certain materials of the players choice hence the discussion)

So Phalanx (Maybe) Should be able to see through them. Though once we iron out how it works his vision will probably be stopped by lead just trying to figure out if I get points for the drawback or not. If its just a plot strike that you don't want me to find the bad guys so easy for an HP that works too.

I'm trying to get it resolved in the ref forum as quickly as possible.

Not even for walls set up to counter things like penetrates concealment? I had originally thought that material would stop it, but yes, it is a plot point. Also, I doubt it would really be worth a HP when you already have so many and it is so incredibly painfully obvious where Knievel is. If the walls had actually prevented you from getting any good information/enough to get a good starting point, then sure it would be worth an HP. In this case, I see it as just the opposite: "They're down there!" Because as Doc will likely tell you, the above ground things you can't see through, are in fact panic rooms, and would not be housing super villains.

There isn't really a power that counters penetrates concealment is the thing. And number of hero points generally don't factor into if its a fiat or not, if you declare a power doesn't work because plot demands it its a fiat. But as you said it doesn't really impede things much so far and doesn't really matter enough for me to argue over it.

I agree with the first part, which is why I said what I did. But just to reaffirm my point about the second part, in order to earn a hero point, you have to experience a set back, which this really isn't. It is in fact the opposite, if your character possesses any sort of logical reasoning. That's why you're not getting one, not because you're power isn't working, or because you have too many. Because it's not actually setting you back.

And if you're worried about not getting to see what may be waiting for you at the bottom of the rabbit hole, don't be. One of the reasons I'm not telling you is because I haven't thought it through yet. I pulled that entire explanation and response to your notice check out of my butt because, like Ecal, I totally forgot Phalanx had x-ray vision :P

Heh that seems to be going around. Just to clarify Use of GM Fiat awards an HP. Now you could use the "I wasn't able to see." as a descriptor for stuff you don't want to fill in that's fine. If its denying me information that my power "should" reveal then its a fiat and awards an HP.

In this case it sounds like its the former so no worries. Works out anyway as I'm probably gonna limit it when we hammer out how it works here anyway.

No such luck on the door there, big guy. It's locked down tight.

But in other news, I am finally in the process of formulating ideas for what you might have been able to see in that second subterranean level. Also, Archeville would know that that level is comprised mostly of an extremely large room used for testing some of Archetech's larger and more dangerous inventions. It also houses a secure room of servers which house valuable and sensitive information on a variety of subjects.

So for now just keep me posted on what you guys decide in the ref forum

DAMAGE TO OBJECTS

Objects are only affected by lethal damage. They do not suffer nonlethal

damage conditions.

• An “injured” object is damaged and suffers the normal –1 penalty per

condition further Toughness saves.

• A “disabled” object is badly damaged. Disabled equipment and

devices no longer function, while disabled barriers have holes

punched through them, and other disabled objects may be bent,

deformed, or otherwise damaged.

• A “dying” object is destroyed. Damaged and disabled objects can be

repaired. It’s up to the GM whether or not a destroyed object is repairable;

if it is, the difficulty of the Craft check is the same as creating

an entirely new item.

Example: Captain Thunder strikes a wall with a bolt of lightning.

The wall has Toughness 10 and the Captain’s lightning

bolt has a damage bonus of +12. The wall must make a

Toughness save (DC 27). The GM rolls an 11 for a total of 21.

The wall is damaged, suffering a –1 to saves. The Captain’s next

lightning bolt strikes and the GM rolls an 8, for an adjusted total

of 17. That’s 10 less than the DC of 27, so the wall is disabled;

the bolt blasts a hole in it.

The GM may want to simply have objects effectively “take 10” on

Toughness saves to simplify matters, as if the object’s save result was (10 +

Toughness). If the attacker’s damage bonus equals the object’s Toughness,

it’s damaged, if it is 5 greater, it’s broken, and it it is 10 greater, it is

destroyed automatically.

"Injured" = fails Toughness save

"Disabled" = fails by 10 or more

"Dying" = fails by 15 or more

The toughest parts of an ArcheTech facility are Toughness 20.

Phalanx can punch for +15 damage, or a DC 30 save.

Take 10 on the Toughness save gets a 30.

It's just strong enough that he can't even dent it! :shock: (Unless he uses Extra Effort, and even then it'll just be enough to "Injure" it.)

Most of the building is Toughness 15, though.

Take 10 = 25

Fails by 5, that's an Injury, and a -1 to Toughness.

After five punches, Toughness is reduced to 10. A sixth punch makes it "disabled."

BREAKING OBJECTS

If you want to attack an object that you have in-hand or that no one is

preventing you from attacking, such as smashing down a door, bending a

metal bar, snapping bonds, or cutting through a wall with a Blast power,

you can apply force more effectively. This requires a full-round action.

Instead of rolling, assume the object's Toughness save result is equal to

(5 + Toughness). Super-Strength adds +1 per rank to your normal Strength

bonus for damaging objects in this way (and only in this way). If your

damage bonus is equal to the object's Toughness, you break it, 5 or more

than the object's Toughness, you destroy it automatically.

The toughest parts of an ArcheTech facility are Toughness 20.

Phalanx can take a full round to attack it, and do a mighty (assuming he's using full Enhanced Str and Super-Str) +24 damage.

Take 5 on the Toughness save gets a 25.

Which'd mean Phalanx isn't strong enough to break through! :shock: Unless he uses Extra Effort

(Which actually makes Doc pleased, as he doesn't like to see his stuff get broken. ;) But he hates seeing his stuff stolen even more. )

Most of the building is Toughness 15, though.

Take 5 = 20.

Phalanx could break that. After a second round, it's completely destroyed.

Actually with full SS the full round damage would be +25. +15 base strength +9 SS from the array and he has a rank of SS out of the array for another +1

So he could as a full round get a 'destroyed' result on the toughness 20 portions. Thought that doesn't take thickness into account.

Of course Phalanx hasn't done so yet so if the Doc wants to open the door another way first he can pipe up :D

Is Jack's sword of any use here?

Energy Sword 5 (Corrosion, Power Feats: Alternate Power, Improved Critical (19-20), Mighty, Variable Descriptor 2 [Any Energy], Drawbacks: Limited [Available, Concentrated Energy Types], Extras: Penetrating) [24PP]

AP: Energy Sword Flurry 5 (Damage, Power Feats: Improved Critical (19-20), Mighty, Variable Descriptor 2 [Any Energy], Drawbacks: Limited [Available, Concentrated Energy Types], Extras: Autofire 3) [23PP]

Power Attacking with the Autofire version is DC 34, but I'm mostly curious how Corrosion and Penetrating work of stuff like walls.

Penetrating wouldn't factor, since none of the structure is Impervious. (That is an idea for later, though.)

Jack's Corrosion will reduce the object's toughness by 5, then it'll face a DC 22 Toughness save.

vs. Toughness 20, that reduces to Toughness 15. Take 10 = 25, which still beats.

Do it again, reduce Toughness to 10, Take 10 = 20, fails by 2, it's "injured".

Slash a third time, reduce Toughness to 5, Take 10 = 14 (including the -1 from "injured), fails by 8, it's "injured" again

Slash a fourth time, reduce Toughness to 0, Take 10 = 8 (including the -2 from the two "injured"), failing by 14. That makes it "disabled," and a hair's breath from "dying."

vs. Toughness 15, skip the first step and it's all the same.

Flurry of Jacks is DC 34.

vs. Toughness 20, Take 10 = 30. Fails by 4, it's "injured."

Do it again, Take 10 = 29 (including -1 from "injury"). Fails by 5, another injury.

Do it five more times (seven flurries total), it'll fail by 10, making it "disabled."

vs. Toughness 15, Take 10 = 25. Fails by 9, it's "injured."

Do it again, Take 10 = 24 (-1 from "injury"). Fails by 10, it's "disabled."