No Mutation Without Representation! (OOC)

Still in the branch head's office, in the building, looking out via monitor feeds. Or, let's say, out a large picture window, since you wrote that the Bad Guys know he's around. He's not made an appearance outside yet.

Thinking....

Question for you, O Mighty GM: may I use an HP to have an invention "on hand," or, rather, something the Doktor picks up from one of the workshops in the building (something not-yet-complete that he finishes in the time it takes him to walk down the hall outside)? If so, what sort of pp total could I play with?

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I had that post originally written up assuming that you were actually on scene. I'm on my way to edit your part out of it. It will read more along the lines of "no sign of archeville, yet," etc.

As for the device thing, sure. One of the uses of HPs is to change the situation for a more favorable one. Since you're PL14, you might have some pretty hefty stuff, but not all of it is necessarily just laying around, or almost ready to go. I'll say that you can hammer together a device worth 20pp for the expenditure of that HP. Does that sound fair? This is the first time I've done something like this, so by all means, let me know if that seems appropriate or not.

(16:05:09) quotemyname: I figure if Doc roles a 10 on a craft check he can bang something together work 28 pp on a jury rig check.

(16:05:41) quotemyname: Essentially spending a hero point to nix the time involved, I figure that I'll take a few pp off the total to balance it a little more

(16:05:50) Geez3r: seems fair enough

(16:05:54) quotemyname: So I went with a 20pp device. Does that sound fair?

(16:06:09) Gizmo shrugs.

(16:06:13) Gizmo: Sure?

Sounds good to me :)

EDIT: Oh! I'm going to be submitting a Char Edit for Doc soon, spending those 13pps he's got saved up. What on? Two more ranks in Gadget, bringing his Electromagnetic Screwdriver to Gadgets 3. I'll also be doing some jiggery-pokery to his Gravimetric Belt. If I get them in (and approved) by 3pm tomorrow (I'll probably have them in by tonight, as well as my post), will it be okay to use those upgrades here?

Glad you brought up that issue. You may use the most recent version of your character sheet posted on this sight with one condition.

As threads tend to go for longer than one month (especially ones with lots of combat), the one condition for using updated sheets is this. You may use any updates you have purchased and have been approved, so long as the justification for those purchases was not "because of something I learn in the fight against Captain Knievel and Malice". Because I want to prevent as many time paradoxes as possible. So basically if that was going to be part of your character's natural development, fine. But if "that last fight made me realize I need more points in X." That is not fine.

This is basically to preserve the time line, and to hopefully be a simple solution for everybody (so no one has to keep the april version of their sheet around, etc).

Sound good to everybody?

20pp = Hard to Lose Device 5 (25 points), or an Easy to Lose Device 6 (30 points)

None of us know Malice or Captain K is involved, we just see these kids.

But Doc has met one of these kids before: Emperor. Emperor shot him in the face once.

Magnetic Nullifier (hand-held device, looks like a blue-and-gray tuning fork the size of Doc's forearm)

Nullify Magnetic Effects 16 (all effects of a magnetic descriptor at once; Extra: Duration 2/Sustained; Flaw: Action/Full Round, Unreliable; Drawbacks: Reduced Range 2/2 increments) [30pp]

1 HP spent, 4 more left.

This round's actions are spent getting to the action, picking up that item along the way.

Free Action to activate Cloaking Field right before exiting the building.

That's all fine and dandy by me, Doc.

Initiative and Condition Round 1

Hot Shoe -- 45 -- Unharmed -- 3VP

Zealot -- 21 -- Unharmed -- 1VP

Dr. Archeville -- 20 -- Unharmed -- 4HP

Jack of all Blades -- 19 -- Unharmed -- 5HP

Stellar -- 18 -- Unharmed -- 3VP

Emperor -- 12 -- Unharmed -- 3VP

Slammer - 10 -- Unharmed -- 1VP

Sarah Prescott -- 8 -- Bruised x1 -- 3HP

Phalanx -- 4 -- Unharmed -- 5HP

Divine -- 3 -- Unharmed -- 5HP

Jack of all Blades - Deadline Wednesday 11pm eastern

Stellar is not actually taking a move action to float over to the group. That's just flavor.

Stellar will try to grab Divine with his telekinesis (standard).

Attack Roll v Divine; Opposed Grapple v. Divine (1d20+18=22, 1d20+33=43)

If Stellar wins the grapple, he will pin her. From there he will release the hold (move action) by throwing her in the general direction of mount Olympus. With his effective strength, Divine will travel...[bg=black]approximately 190 miles.[/bg] 50 miles.

EDIT: I have class now, then some other stuff. I'll continue with the updates for this thread when I return.

I wanted to see if it was actually going to happen or not first. But yes, now that you find yourself 190 miles off shore, you get a HP for your troubles. Gee, I hope somebody else in the thread can teleport you back, *nudge, nudge, Doc*

You spent an HP on the re-roll, so you're total still stands at 5.

Addendum: Divine would actually owe a toughness save because she got chucked so far. Stellar has no damage tradeoffs, therefore, I'm knocking the rank of "damage from hitting water at high speed" down to rank 11. Since it is water that she is hitting, and not a hard solid object, I'm further reducing the damage to rank 10. However because of Divine's high Impervious rank, she doesn't have to save. I'm just pointing this out in case it comes up again and actually matters.

Emperor tries to save against Jack's Bluff: Emperor Will save vs. JoaB Bluff DC 33 (1d20+16=17) He is so bluffed.

Zealot tries to save as well: Zealot Sense Motive vs. JoaB bluff DC 33 (1d20+19=34) He is not bluffed!

Emperor is up. Divine has now departed the scene, Doc is not yet visible, and Zealot is engaging Jack. Emperor will attack Phalanx. Emperor attack v Phalanx; All out Attack 5; Power Attack 5; DC 32 TOU on hit. (1d20+21=28)

I believe that hits, please make a DC 32 TOU save. Emperor's DEF set to 9 total after the all out attack and the bluff.

EDIT: I goofed on the math with the attack roll for Emperor. He only has +16, not +21. I forgot to -5 for Power Attack. The result is actually a 23, which still hits. Apologies.

Slammer will follow this. He is still adjacent to Sarah. He will attempt to startle her, then he will make an attack on her with his meaty, ill-tempered, fist. First Roll: Slammer Startle vs Sarah;;; Second Roll: Slammer attack v Sarah; All out attack 5, Power Attack 5; DC 35 TOU on hit. (1d20+21=39, 1d20+13=23) So the DC to resist the Startle is 34 because I forgot to subtract 5 for him performing it as a move action. The attack roll hits DEF 23 which hits you either way, so make a DC 35 TOU save, please. Don't forget the -1 modifier for your previous bruise.

EDIT: Forgot to Roll Sarah's miss chance. Slammer Miss Chance Vs. Sarah; 11 or higher will hit. (1d20=20) The attack still hits.

Initiative and Condition Round 1

Hot Shoe -- 45 -- Unharmed -- 3VP

Zealot -- 21 -- Unharmed -- 1VP

Stellar -- 18 -- Unharmed -- 3VP

Emperor -- 12 -- Unharmed -- 3VP

Sarah Prescott -- 8 -- Bruised x1 -- 3HP

Divine -- 3 -- Unharmed -- 5HP

I will be making two more IC posts, one for each Emperor, and Slammer. This will break up the action and make things easier to read.

Pending the Results of Sarah's Toughness Save she is up next.

There was some concern raised in CHAT about the NPC's that I am using for this thread, namely Stellar (though both Slammer and Hot Shoe to a lesser degree as well).

Geez3r and I talked before the thread, and agreed on these three characters to supplement the Shadow Academy lineup. I wanted five Shadow Academy members, but only Two of the original characters that were enrolled there were PL10: Zealot, and Emperor. Instead of grabbing the PL6 Academy line up and bumping them all up to PL10, I decided to use the three that have been mentioned.

The concern was that I should have brought these characters to the attention of the Refs before using them. I did not, and for that I apologize. However, as it is still early in the thread, I would like to work out a fix. I don't actually have copies of the Slammer and Hot Shoe character sheets (they're just excel files). But I can tell you that Slammer is a No-Frills adaptation of the Hulking Brute archetype, and Hot Shoe is much the same with the Fragile Speedster archetype. Both are PL 10.

I do have a copy of Stellar's sheet which you can view here. However that sheet has a lot more on it than I am actually using for this thread. I have removed the following abilities from Stellar's sheet. The Mental Array has been reduced to simply Enhanced Wisdom 10. Variable Power 1 has been removed entirely. In the Cosmic Power Array, “Star Sightâ€, and, “Heaven’s Touch†are no longer part of the character. But I have also filled out his Caps to the PL11 line. +11 Attack, +11 Damage, +9 Defense, +13 Toughness.

So my question to the players is this: Are you okay with me using these characters? If not, please say so and I'll find something from either the books or the approved NPC's on the boards to replace them with.

[bg=black]Sarah was knocked unconscious by Slammer. Take a Hero Point for the setback. With her -5 knock back modifier, she also gets knocked back 190 miles. I was going to say to the south, but I'll make it out to sea instead. There will be no need to make a toughness save for making contact with the water, and conveniently, you land about 100 feet away from Divine[/bg]

EDIT: I goofed on my math once again. Sarah travels 10 miles south due to the Knock Back of that attack. Take an HP for the setback. I will update your total for you.

That does concern me, yes, given that there are several NPCs (both player-made and from the M&M/FC books) you could have used just as easily. I'd be perfectly okay with you taking one of the Archetypes from the Core book, or Instant Superheroes, or the other Archetype Archives, and just slapping a name on that. If something all-new and all-different is being used, I'd think that at the very least you should get two refs to look over it and okay it (like is done with any other newly-made thing for the site); it could be a brief once-over done via PM or Chat, if such characters are only going to be used in just the one adventure and long-term impact wouldn't be an issue. (The few times I've used homebrewed NPCs, I've posted 'em in the Ref Cave for all to see.)

Also, are you sure you're figuring throwing distance correctly?

Characters can throw any object they can lift, up to a heavy load. (You

cannot throw your maximum load, only drop it adjacent to you.) Picking

up an object is a move action, while throwing it is a standard action, so

it’s possible to pick up and throw an object in one round.

The distance you can throw an object is based on its weight and

your Strength. You can throw your heavy load 5 feet. For every 5 points

of Strength you have over the minimum required to lift an object as a

heavy load, move the distance you can throw it one step up the Time

and Value Progression Table (see page 70). So, a Strength 40 character

has 30 points more Strength than needed to lift 100 lbs. as a heavy

load. That means (30 divided by 5) 6 steps up the Time and Value

Progression Table. So a Strength 40 character can throw a 100-lb.

object up to 500 feet!

Divine's listed as weighing 120 lbs., which requires Str 12 to lift as a heavy load.

190 miles = 1,003,200 feet

17 steps up from the base of 5 feet.

So Str ([17x5]+12) = Str 97 is needed to throw her that far.

Or a rank 20 TK effect.

Dr. Archeville has spoken. I'm going to look over Instant super heroes for appropriate substitutes for these three. I'll flavor them exactly the same, and we'll just move ahead from here. So all the actions they've already taken will still stand, unless I can't find something close enough to make it appropriate. In which case I will begin the ret-con process.

Soon as I find appropriate sheets, I'll list them here with an edit.

EDIT: Stellar is being replaced with the Psionic Archetype from Instant Superheroes 51. I'm upgrading him to PL11, and using the 10pp to bump Telekinesis 12 to Telekinesis 17, thus preserving the earlier results of tossing Divine.

Slammer is being replaced with, the Bulk Archetype (Instant Superheroes 48), but will be using -5 Attack, +5 Damage, -5 Def, +5 Toughness trade offs. Improved Overrun and Fast overrun are being replaced with Startle and a second rank of Takedown attack.

Hot Shoe Is being replaced with the Speedster Archetype (IS 61) except with +5 attack -5 Damage, +5 Def, -5 Toughness.

In the meantime, enjoy some important EDITS to the following posts:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3323&start=30#p69211

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3323&start=40#p69246

Toughness Save (1d20+17=35) no damage

Alright Free action to set Super strength to 9 ranks total 10 ranks

All out attack on Zealot (Defense drops to +1) Attack roll to initiate grapple (1d20+14=15) ... HP that: HP Reroll attack roll (1d20+14=34)

Grapple check: Grapple Check (1d20+44=46) I'm pretty sure that's impossible for zealot to beat anyway.

Choose to pin then throw him at emperor as a move action: Power attack Roll to hit with improvised Religious nut (1d20+14=31) Erm forgot to factor the power attack in that would drop it to a +9 = 26, Still a hit. DC 35 Toughness saves.

Initiative and Status Round 1

Hot Shoe -- 45 -- Unharmed -- 1VP

Zealot -- 21 -- Bruised x1 -- 0VP

Stellar -- 18 -- Unharmed -- 1VP

Emperor -- 12 -- Bruised x1, Stunned @ Init 4 -- 3VP

Sarah Prescott -- 8 -- Bruised x1, Unconscious -- 3HP

Divine -- 3 -- Unharmed -- 4HP

Emperor: Toughness vs DC 35 (1d20+12=22) forgot to add in the +5 bonus from Inspire. He fails by 8. He is bruised and Stunned.

Concentration check to maintain force field: Concentration to maintain Force Field DC 22 (1d20+10=24) Pass.

Emperor gets thrown back by this attack. Rank 20, -11 KB = Rank 9 KB = 1000 feet. I'm going to say that he stops short after hitting the concrete wall of the compound 100 feet away. The Knockback modifier is 9, while the Toughness of Stone is 5. Emperor has to save vs. DC 20: Toughness DC 20 (1d20+16=34) Pass.

Zealot: Toughness vs DC 35 (1d20+16=33) -3, I mistakenly included Master Plan Bonus. Fail by 5. Bruised & Stunned, but will use his 1 VP to clear the Stun.

Divine, you are up after all the IC posts get made.

Okay, first things first, this is the start of round 2. The bonus from Inspire is gone, and the bonus from Master Plan is down to +2 to Attacks and Skill checks. It is now officially whomping time.

Hot Shoe is up. He will run from somewhere across the city, try and clothesline Jack, and then speed off somewhere else.

Attack Vs. JoaB; DC 20 on hit. (1d20+15=32). Forgot the +2 from MP, but I think it's a moot point nonetheless. So he is now about 4 miles away, somewhere north of the city.

For Zealot's turn, while he doesn't appreciate being thrown, his primary target is still Jack. He will pick himself up, dust himself off, and use his scourge. He makes a DC 22 Acrobatic Bluff on Jack (SM). Then tries to attack. *AP: Strike 5 (Extra: Vampiric 8; PFs: Mighty, Extended Reach 4 (25ft), Improved Trip, Improved Disarm]; DC 23 on hit. (1d20+12=26) Again forgot the +2 for MP, which makes this attack hit. If Jack suffers damage from this attack, Zealot will make a recover check against the bruised condition he has.

IC post incoming.

Initiative and Status Round 2

Hot Shoe -- 45 -- Unharmed -- 1VP

Zealot -- 21 -- Bruised x1 -- 0VP

Jack of all Blades -- 19 -- Unharmed; DEF 39 @ init 45 -- 4HP [HP spent this round]

Stellar -- 18 -- Unharmed -- 1VP

Emperor -- 12 -- Bruised x1, Stunned @ Init 4 -- 3VP

Sarah Prescott -- 8 -- Bruised x1 -- 2HP

Phalanx -- 4 -- Unharmed -- 6HP

Divine -- 3 -- Unharmed -- 4HP