Gizmo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The conversation continued around Trevor, largely without his encouragement. The lanky youth had always been inclined to listen rather than speak, and with so many extroverted, albeit friendly, personalities about, he defaulted to that tendency once more, simply taking in what was being said, getting a sense of his new classmates. Their evasive and sly mention of the curfew confirmed his suspicion that super powered teenagers were not so easily dissuaded from putting their talents to use.

When Alex appeared and introduced herself, he reached down and accepted her hand with a light touch and inclined head which suggested a certain ingrained formality, calmly allowing Mark to step in and introduce him. Trevor failed to bat an eye at the petite girl's display of metahuman power, nor Eddie's more subtle demonstration. If anything, he felt an odd relief, a confirmation that he was not alone in his strangeness.

At the energetic Mark's suggestion that dark haired young man hang out with the group in the future, the faintest of smiles touched his lips. "Sounds good," Trevor agreed.

Mike grinned as Alex walked up and after the introductions were done looped one arm over her shoulder, "Hey you." He said with a wink as he did so. "Come down to slum it with those of us only taking a full class load instead of a triple?" though he teased he was clearly proud of her.

"So where to on the tour? Or do you need to check in still?" He looked to trevor questioningly.

Alex gave the new boy a curious look as he seemed to shift around, difficult to catch onto with her mental abilities but Alex gave a little shrug before beaming up at Mike. She laughed, "Oh, yeah, I'm sooo slumming it. Silly."

She leaned into his side,chatting with an easy warmth, "Well, what have you seen so far?"

At first Trevor assumed it was the pronounced difference in height between Mike and Alex that was giving him pause, but as they continued their good-natured banter it occurred to him that he simply couldn't recall the last happy couple he'd met. Combined with the glowing aura and frankly mythic proportions they sported, respectively, the pair added to the increasing surrealism of his welcome. Trevor found the entire thing fascinating, in his own, somewhat detached way.

He responded to Eddie's impatience with an untroubled shrug. "Time before my stuff gets here. Something in mind?"

"Its full-power frisbee on the quad if we hurry. If I hand over cash to Mike, we can send him for subs and soda while we all head to the quad," Alex suggested, one arm looped around Mike's waist as she looked up at him, her eyes a little unfocused, "If you go now, there's no line at the counter and I think you'll beat the guy getting out of his car right now. My treat on lunch."

Mike smiled down at her, "Oooh you said the magic words." He plucked the money from her fingers and leaned in to press a chaste kiss to her cheek. Looking to the others he said, "So meet you in the quad in a few, Alex can relay your orders while I'm on the way." As he shot off he sent his thoughts to alex, 'I'll let you know when I get there go ahead and get everyone's orders.'

With that he shot off in a blur towards their favorite deli.

Trevor placed a hand on his fedora to keep it from blowing away as Mike sped off. Big and fast, he noted with some interest. Good to know. His own metahuman abilities weren't as overtly powerful as those of many heroes, and he was glad to get a better sense of where he stood in relation to his new classmates. Clearly it was going to take hard work and ingenuity to keep up; Trevor was fine with that.

He arched eyebrow at the mention of relaying orders. "Cellphone?" he asked.

"Telepathic," Alex replied easily, tucking her hands into her jeans and shaking her bangs out of her face. She was quick to assure him, "But I don't just go reading peoples thoughts or anything, don't worry. I'm very ethical. Mike and I have a link that makes it easier, though. So, who wants what?"

"Pastrami!" Eddie called out, raising his hand. "I love Pastrami subs." He said with a smile.

"But yea, don't worry about Alex. She hasn't broken my brain yet, and I'm dating her daughter!" Eddie laughed, turning on his heel he took off toward the quad. "See you guys on the quad!" Adjusting one of his iPods, he took to the air.

Trevor blinked once. He'd been expecting superpowers, but he hadn't really been prepared for such... practical applications of them. Well, I guess if anyone needs some shade, I've got it covered. The idea of a mind reading was a little unsettling, but it's not like he could stop Alex from reaching into his brain anyway, so he decided there wasn't any reason not to take her at her word. "Just a coffee, thanks. Black."

"Psychics are pretty cool," agreed Edge, bouncing up and down on his heels. "Sometimes they can be a little creepy, but Alex is okay. We've got one girl who goes to school here who gets her psychic powers from somewhere in s-p-a-c-e, if you know what I mean," he said, pointing to the sky. "Do you have powers?" he asked Midnight. "Because if not, that's still awesome."

Mike sped past the somewhat confused man as he stepped up onto the curb and slowed as he stepped through the door into the deli. He glanced up at the board and ordered his double roast beef before relaying the other requests to the gangly youth behind the counter.

Sandwiches in hand he smiled to the man behind him in line and turned to exit the shop jogging around the corner before accelerating back to full speed as he headed back to the school.

"Oh, yea. Delicious, delicious meat and bread." Eddie cheered as he received his paper wrapped sandwich from Mike once he'd arrived back on campus. "Did they give you the mustard sauce? Tell me they gave you the mustard sauce." Eddie looked quizzically from the brown bag, to Mike, and back to the bag. His eyes were hopeful, and his smile bright, as he fully intended to scarf the entire sandwich before the extreme physical activity that was Frisbee.

Alex relayed orders matter of factly and she smiled and floated up to kiss Mike on the cheek as she took her sandwich from him along with a can of soda. She pulled a frisbee out of her backpack. It looked to be covered with rainbow stickers. She swung it around one finger and smiled mischeviously, "We're totally going to kick Next Gen's butt this time... And Eddie, the key word in that sentance was 'yet'"

Trevor noticed when Alex corroborated Eddie's outlandish claim, but he didn't comment on it. 'Dating her daughter' was probably some inside joke, a running gag which would be difficult to explain. Or accelerated aging. Or clones. Regardless, it seemed wisest to simply let it go.

He accepted the coffee with a shallow nod of thanks and took a sip. He had a feeling he was going to need to be wide awake to keep up with this group. "So, how's this work, then?" he asked as they neared the field.

"Jyo-king, Alecksh!" Eddie assured her, with a full mouth. Swallowing a good quarter of the sandwich at once, "I honestly don't know why you even think I would get away with doing anything bad to Z in the first place." He shrugged, "She'd totally kick my ass for it before you ever got to me. She is faster, you know." Eddie gave Alex a very matter of fact look, as he sank his teeth into the delicious sandwich.

Too busy smiling and enjoying his salty pastrami sandwich, Eddie decided to let someone else answer Trevor's queries.

Mike frowned slightly at eddies comment, he felt there was an unspoken agreement that that wasn't brought up and Mike didn't leave him in orbit. He shook his head and moved on to explain to trevor, "Pretty simple really. Normal rules but with full powers ... well powers that are safe at least." he said as he passed around the rest of the sandwiches.

Huh, maybe they were being literal, Trevor considered. Drama.

When Mike mentioned unsafe powers, the lanky youth had assumed the massive, super-fast teen had been referring to himself. Mark's admission raised some obvious questions. Thought the genie was long gone. Residual effect, like with the midnight mist?

"No, no. We totally need you. I have a plan," Alex said with a little grin and began pulling what looked like Frisbee strategy notes from her day-glo pink backpack. She let the mention of Zoe go with another frown directed at Eddie and look at Mike that seemed to share some silent communication based on their expressions. She pulled out a pen topped with a waving pom pom and sat down cross legged to eat her sandwich, "Trevor, you'd rather be on our team than Next Gen, right? Not that I would ever say anything bad about fellow students - except for maybe Daisy - but we are more fun."

Trevor got the impression that more was riding on his answer than which ultimate frisbee team he wanted to be on. High schools were tricky business, and he was going in blind. The wisest move would be to hold off on any overt affiliations until he had more information to work with. Choosing to associate with one group could cut off other avenues, drawing him into clique politics and interwoven layers of teenage drama.

Trevor Hunter didn't play politics. He played ultimate frisbee.

"Sure," he nodded simply, his tone relaxed.

Mike smiled glad to hear it even if he completely missed whatever subtext there might have been. He stepped in closer as he stuffed the last bite of his sandwich into his mouth. "So whats the plan?" He asked eagerly, Curious what his girlfriend had come up with. Mike leaned in to peak at what she had in her notebook for them to use.

Eddie eagerly gobbled down the last of his sandwich as well. Trotting up behind mike, he tried to get an angle on the notebook as well. "Got anything special in mind for me? Maybe I should turn invisible and just intercept a bunch of their throws!" Eddie said with a smile. He was clearly ready to play.