Power Level Limitations

Bael

I have never played this particular Supers-genre game before, although I have been playing RPGs since 1979.

I have a question regarding Power Level Limitations: I see where the game lists limits on almost everything pursuant to the Power Level of the campaign. However, it does not appear that Powers have any limits, and when I review the Archetypes listed, the following examples in the book have powers which exceed 10, or even more in some cases: Battlesuit; Energy Controller; Gadgeteer; Martial Artist (Attack +16?); Mimic; Mystic; Paragon; Powerhouse; and Psionic.

Are powers restricted like everything? I'm not advocating for anything in particular, I'm just confused.

Thx!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never played this particular Supers-genre game before, although I have been playing RPGs since 1979.

I have a question regarding Power Level Limitations: I see where the game lists limits on almost everything pursuant to the Power Level of the campaign. However, it does not appear that Powers have any limits, and when I review the Archetypes listed, the following examples in the book have powers which exceed 10, or even more in some cases: Battlesuit; Energy Controller; Gadgeteer; Martial Artist (Attack +16?); Mimic; Mystic; Paragon; Powerhouse; and Psionic.

Are powers restricted like everything? I'm not advocating for anything in particular, I'm just confused.

Thx!

Thx!

Thx!

Thx!

It really depends upon what the power is, but many are restricted by the PL of the character. But there are what are called "tradeoffs". A PL 10 character can have an attack of +10 with a power that does +10 damage (totalling +20). The Martial Artist trades 6 from the damage, and adds that to the attack, tiving them attack +16 and damage +4 (still totalling +20). The same is true with defense/toughness.

For powers that do not have an attack roll (like area effect attacks), the cap in damage is the PL limit (so a PL 10 character can have a +10 damaging area effect blast).

Other powers, like say, flight, are not capped, though most PL 10 characters are not going to spend the 40 power points for 20 ranks of Flight :)

It really depends upon what the power is, but many are restricted by the PL of the character. But there are what are called "tradeoffs". A PL 10 character can have an attack of +10 with a power that does +10 damage (totalling +20). The Martial Artist trades 6 from the damage, and adds that to the attack, tiving them attack +16 and damage +4 (still totalling +20). The same is true with defense/toughness.

For powers that do not have an attack roll (like area effect attacks), the cap in damage is the PL limit (so a PL 10 character can have a +10 damaging area effect blast).

Other powers, like say, flight, are not capped, though most PL 10 characters are not going to spend the 40 power points for 20 ranks of Flight :)

Any power that has an attack roll or requires a saving thorw by the victem is caped by the power level. [which is Pl 6 or PL 10 right now, your choice]. powers like flight or device that [in and of themselves] do not require a saving throw or attack roll could have a rank 20. [if you spent enough points]

There are trade offs in the book that allow you to break the PL cap for one [like attack] and reduce the cap for another [like damage]. So if you had a PL10, and wanted an attack of 12 you would have a trade off of attack +2/ damage -2.

As things are right now characters are now being approved if they have trade offs. We are still trying to get a handle on how things run. ;) Did that answer it for you?

Any power that has an attack roll or requires a saving thorw by the victem is caped by the power level. [which is Pl 6 or PL 10 right now, your choice]. powers like flight or device that [in and of themselves] do not require a saving throw or attack roll could have a rank 20. [if you spent enough points]

There are trade offs in the book that allow you to break the PL cap for one [like attack] and reduce the cap for another [like damage]. So if you had a PL10, and wanted an attack of 12 you would have a trade off of attack +2/ damage -2.

As things are right now characters are now being approved if they have trade offs. We are still trying to get a handle on how things run. ;) Did that answer it for you?

It explains some of the "stuff" above the PL, but not all. The Battlesuit guy in the example in the book has a Rank 19 Battlesuit. The Paragon has Impervious Toughness 12.

My other question had to do with Alternative Powers. There's a line in the book that says you can only use one of the powers at once. Does that mean if you are using Magic to fly, if you use any other AP under magic you immediately plummet from the sky?

It explains some of the "stuff" above the PL, but not all. The Battlesuit guy in the example in the book has a Rank 19 Battlesuit. The Paragon has Impervious Toughness 12.

My other question had to do with Alternative Powers. There's a line in the book that says you can only use one of the powers at once. Does that mean if you are using Magic to fly, if you use any other AP under magic you immediately plummet from the sky?

Yes. That is why a well-built hero will never buy their primary offensive power and their movement power in the same array.

Yes. That is why a well-built hero will never buy their primary offensive power and their movement power in the same array.