A Day Without Powers (IC)

Erin looked at Mark and Faith with a mixture of amusement and annoyance. "You'll be fine," she repeated. "You skinned your knee, and it's just for one day. But we'd better have lunch before baseball, especially anyone whose body isn't processing food the way it usually does. We can grab sack lunches in the cafeteria and take them with."

She paused for a second in a sunny patch between the trees, raising her arm to shoulder level and looking at it as the bright morning sunlight spilled over it. It felt strange to feel much of anything from the sun, whose rays weren't nearly strong enough to tan or burn her skin. But today she could feel the warmth, even the very faint stinging that said it might be a bit too warm on her pale flesh. It was weird. Shaking her head, she continued onward with the group.

Considerably more subdued than everyone else, Mark followed along as they headed for lunch. He stopped leaning on Faith as they went, but did absently hold her hand as he walked along after everyone else. He knew he wasn't that badly hurt; his small injuries stung, but they'd heal fast enough. It was just...well, no one had really understood. Maybe he was the one in the wrong, then. And that was scarier than falling down fifty flights of stairs.

It didn't take long to collect lunch, though Mark was hardly the only student wrestling with some fairly basic tasks. It seemed like the kids with super speed and agility were worst off, misjudging their own bodies and constantly bumping into things or tripping. The mentally powered kids had it kind of tough as well, most of them looked a little dazed as they stood in line or tried to order. Erin was relieved to get out of the lunchroom and off campus entirely. She felt a little strange without her powers, but there really wasn't much she couldn't do now that she could before, just not as well. It wasn't as though she could fly or shoot lightning bolts or read minds. And she was starting to get a tan, she noted with satisfaction as they walked. It had been a very long time since that had happened. Even a sunburn would be worth it for the novelty.

"How's everybody doing?" she asked as they went along. It seemed like she and maybe Chris were the least affected, so it was probably a good idea to keep an eye on the others.

Mike shrugged, "I dunno, definitely feels weird." He said as he huffed along. He had to keep remembering to push and touch things full force now to open doors or pick up a tray and it was definitely taking some getting used to.

He wasn't really as bad off as some as he rarely used his powers at all until relatively recently but he had never been without them entirely and was confused by the strain his body was under from normal tasks now.

"Frail," Faith responded glumly. "I used to have the energy to do all sorta of things. Now it's just... bleh." She looked to Mark, her source of happiness. She smiled and then looked to her food with a frown and spoke monotonely, "You know, I wasn't like this before I had powers. I was normal. I was smart and energetic. Are powers something that you need all the time once you have them?" She didn't want to sound like a power addict, but even to herself that sounded like dependency. She shrugged, "Maybe this baseball game will help."

Chris shrugged, looked at Faith, then did a quick forward flip in the air. Not as fast as he was before, he had to plant a hand down to roll to his feet. "Hmmm... less flexible. Good thing I'm not going to... y'know what, ignore that last part." He did a quick cartwheel and landed in a crouch doing jazz hands. "So, no, I wouldn't say I need my powers all the time. Although, pump a few rounds in me, I may change my opinion."

"I don't know how I should feel," admitted Mark again as they finally reached the baseball field. "But I'm not going to let not having my powers keep me down. This is just for a day. Things are going to be okay." He walked onto the field, gave a loose ball a kick, and watched with shock as it soared away from him and rolled far out of his reach. With a deep sigh, he jogged further down the field to retrieve it.

Mike followed along quietly behind the others slowly gauging just how much he had lost. Slightly out of breath but nothing severe, His bag weighed him down some leaving his arm slightly sore, The warm day had him break a sweat for the first time in his recollection as well. All perfectly normal things.

He frowned and looked to the others, "Where'd they say these things were from? How long they have them?" he asked as his mind tried to wrap his mind around the very normalcy he was experiencing for the first time.

"They, uh, got them from Blackstone," said Mark, slowly and carefully walking back with the baseball in hand while everyone else got equipment from the small shed by the side of the field. "This is what they use on prisoners with powers. It doesn't always work on everyone's powers, but I guess they've had time to study our powers in school." He tossed the ball in his hand up and down, looking relieved when it didn't bite him in the face. "Okay, I'll take the mound on this one."