Object Mimicry Help

playah

First off, I do realize I just opened a can of worms, as Object Mimicry is one of the rarest and most complicated powers ever made in comic books, but I cant help the fact that I love it and want to make my first character based on it (PL 10, in case you wonder). But as much as I read about it, its damn confusing @_@ Therefore, I see no other way to solve my problems than ask you fellow experianced players, GM's and refs for some feedback. Things Im most intrigued about:

1. It says that I can assume form of anything I touch and use samples from Alternate Forms. That includes obviously forms Solid, Liquid and Energy, but Im not sure abuot others. Ghost, Two Dimensional, Swarm and Shadow are obviously out of question (I mean, how am I supposed to touch a shadow?), but what about Gaseous and Partitulate? Could I use OM to turn into a pile of living sand (Sandman style) or into, say, poisonous gas?

2. Energy Form from Alternate Forms says I have to buy Incorporeal 3 and Immunity. Immunity to what? If its the energy I touch, then Incorporeal already covers that, so yeah...

3. If I turn into Acid (which is a Liquid), do I get to take Acid Power a well?

4. It mentions I cant buy new powers that are higher then OB Rank or properties of touched object, which I assume means "cant be harder/hotter then stone/fire you touched", which makes sense, but how do I know what objects have what limits? Is there a chart somewhere and I missed it (I started reading the book yesterday, so I might've missed it)?

5. Does touching superpowered people's flesh counts? I saw Absorbing Man using his power on Hulk and getting as strong as him, but does it hold ground in Mutants and Matermind? Or should I just buy Mimic (or other related power) instead?

6. If I touch a rubber (say, a car tire), do I get to choose the benefits from Elestic/Stretching powers?

1. Yes, you can actually turn into sand and poisonous gas and the like.

2. It depends entirely on the element, but some of the more common stuff would be Immunity (life support). Also Immunity (to a certain element) would be appropriate.

3. You don't have to take the power "Acid" simply because you're made of acid. But you will have to buy some power that mimics your acid qualities. Ie: Corrosion, Damage, Damage with the Independent Extra, etc.

4. That was an old rule for Variable Powers, which has since been removed. Your Object Mimicry gives you X number of points, when you assume a new form, spend up to X number of points or until you've bought everything the form should give you.

5. Won't count. It would be a full Mimic at that point.

6. Basically, but it should make some sort of sense based upon what exactly you mimic. What I highly recommend for Variable Powers in general is to have a pre-set list of settings so you don't have to make one from scratch everytime. In your case, you'll only have to make one when you come across an exotic object.

2. Oh yeah, I forgot about life support :) Should help.

4. So basically there's no difference between Diamond and Granite? Not cool, but okay...

5. Didnt mean copying powers per say, but more of a "copying flesh". For example, touching a chitine armor of a man-bug, or bio-organic steel of Collosuss and stuff. These are hardly regular flesh.

6. Im planning on making a list of FUF (Frequently Usef Forms). Btw, Im so going to patent this term.

It's less that there's "no difference between diamond and granite" and more that this isn't the sort of thing this system really tries to quantify. M&M2E doesn't have that level of granularity. You get what you pay for. If you pay for a certain level of Toughness, or Imperviousness, or whatever else, that's what you get. "Made of granite" or "Made of diamond" is your Descriptor. If you want to voluntarily limit yourself in the way you allot the points from your Variable Power, deciding not to buy a certain level of Toughness unless you absorbed a "sufficiently hard" material, you're free to do so. But you're also free to just have one default "rock form" with the same stats regardless of the material.

So, any ideas what forms should be like? Im new to this, so Im not sure what to list and how it should be. Here's what I got so far.

Frequently Used Forms (FUF) 50pp

Energy

Blast

Flight

Immunity

Insubstantial 3

Strike [Aura]

Teleport [Medium]

Fire

Blast 5 [10pp]

Flight 5 [Drawback] [8pp]

Immunity 1 (Life Support) [9pp]

Insubstantial 3 [15pp]

Strike 5 [Aura, Permanent] [5pp]

Teleport 2 [100 Feet; Flaws: Medium] [2pp]

Electricity

Blast 4 [8pp]

Flight 5 [Drawback] [8pp]

Insubstantial 3 [15pp]

Strike 4 [Aura, Permanent] [5pp]

Teleport 5 [1000 Feet; Flaws: Medium] [5pp]

Liquid

(to be filled with forms)

Blast

Concealment [Limited to Underwater]

Elongation

Immunity

Insubstantial 1 [5pp]

Suffocate

Swimming

Solid

(to be filled with forms)

Density

Immunity

Protection

Thematically those all look fine. I will say that low ranked blast and strike effects like those won't get you much bang for you buck and would recommend pumping them up so you meet caps (assuming you don't have like a +15 attack associated with those)

You might also look at short range only for the teleport effects it'll save you some points if you mostly plan to use it as a combat thing.

I've done some more, but Im having problems with Solid forms, as I cant really find much ways to diversify the materials enough :( Oh, and these packs are made out of 50pp each, in case you wonder. Also, what other COMMON energy can I use?

Energy

Fire

Blast 8 [16pp]

Flight 4 [Drawback] [6pp]

Immunity 9 (Life Support) [9pp]

Insubstantial 3 [15pp]

Strike 7 [Aura, Permanent] [7pp]

Teleport 2 [100 Feet; Flaws: Medium,Short Range] [1pp]

Major Drawback: Vulnerable (Water, +100% damage) [-4pp]

Electricity

Blast 7 [12pp]

Insubstantial 3 [15pp]

Strike 5 [Aura, Permanent] [6pp]

Teleport 4 [1 Mile Feet; Flaws: Medium,Short Range] [2pp]

Liquid

Water

Blast 7 [14pp]

Concealment 2 [Visual, Limited to Underwater] [1pp]

Elongation 4 [4pp]

Insubstantial 1 [5pp]

Suffocate 6 [12pp]

Swimming 6 [6pp]

Acid

Blast 7 [14pp]

Corrosion 6 [Permanent] [12pp]

Elongation 4 [4pp]

Insubstantial 1 [5pp]

Suffocate 3 [6pp]

Solid

Stone

Density 8 (+ 16 Strenght; +4 Toughness, Impervious; Immovable 2; Super Strenght 2. Feats: Groundstrike; Mass x8) [25pp]

Enhanced Strenght 4 (+8 Strenght) [8pp]

Protection 8 [8pp]

Diamond

Density 10 (+ 20 Strenght; +5 Toughness, Impervious; Immovable 3; Super Strenght 3; Mass x12, Distracting) [20pp]

Protection 10 [Reflective] [20pp]

Iron

Density 10 (+ 20 Strenght; +5 Toughness, Impervious; Immovable 3; Super Strenght 3, Feats: Thunderclap, Groundstrike, Shockwave; Mass x12, Distracting) [23pp]

Protection 7 [7pp]

You could squeeze a few more points out of each of these forms by adding a temporary Drawback to them. Here are some examples:

Metal Form

Vulnerability (Magnetic Attacks, Frequency: Uncommon, Intensity: Major [x2 DMG]) [-3PP]

Rock Form

Vulnerability (Bludgeoning Attacks, Frequency: Very Common, Intensity: Minor [+1 DMG]) [-3PP]

Fire Form

Vulnerability (Water Attacks, Frequency: Uncommon, Intensity: Major [x2 DMG]) [-3PP]

Weakness (Water, 1/round, Frequency: Common, Intensity: Major [cumulative -1 drain on all abilities]) [-9PP]

The Acid form could even have a Weakness for alkaline materials (which would render it inert).

You could also gain some more points for the primary attack powers in the energy forms by reducing the ranks of the Aura Strikes. Auras are mainly good for punishing foes who attempt to grapple you or attack you in melee, neither of which is going to happen very often against an Insubstantial character. So while I'd recommend buying at least a rank or two of the Auras for concept reasons, you probably won't get much value for your point expenditure out of them.

Also, Density is most cost efficient when purchased at 6, 12 and 18 ranks.

Also, caught a mistake on the diamond form:

Density 10 (+ 20 Strenght; +5 Toughness, Impervious; Immovable 3; Super Strenght 3; Mass x12, Distracting) [20pp]

Doesn't work like that. Reflective is an extra that is slapped onto of the Impervious ranks and it works against either all ranged attack or all melee attacks. But, for your current point cost you could get:

Protection 10

Impervious 5 (stacking with the Impervious from Density)

Reflective (ranged attacks) 10 Limited: Only vs Light descriptor

or something to that effect.

But, by and large, you won't get any mileage out of reflective. Any credible threat on the boards can get past your Impervious. Impervious mostly just sees play by limiting the distance you're knocked back, not taking damage from being knocked back, and being able to ignore mooks.

But, by and large, you won't get any mileage out of reflective. Any credible threat on the boards can get past your Impervious. Impervious mostly just sees play by limiting the distance you're knocked back, not taking damage from being knocked back, and being able to ignore mooks.

QFT.

Also, no Gas Forms? Oxygen is all around him at all times (on Earth, anyway)...
Turning into oxygen would be cheating, which I dont like to do. And I forgot about gases, gotta make some more.
Also, Density is most cost efficient when purchased at 6, 12 and 18 ranks.

Also, caught a mistake on the diamond form:

Doesn't work like that. Reflective is an extra that is slapped onto of the Impervious ranks and it works against either all ranged attack or all melee attacks. But, for your current point cost you could get:

Protection 10

Impervious 5 (stacking with the Impervious from Density)

Reflective (ranged attacks) 10 Limited: Only vs Light descriptor

or something to that effect.

To be honest I wasnt sure what to take and more then anything, I just wanted to make sure each form is at least somewhat different then other (otherwise its no point in differentiating), which is why Density has uneven number. And given the nature of this power it can be changed anytime with little explanation needed.

Really, Im just getting tired of thinking and want to get over it and start playing, efficiency be damned.

Here's my advice, Playah: Make as few pre-built forms as possible to get started. Instead of a granite form and a diamond form, just make one rock form. In fact, maybe just make one "solid" form, which includes rock and metal. Make one "gas form" for harmless gases like "air." One "energy form" for stuff like fire and electricity. One "liquid" form for water and the like. Then, as you play, assume slightly tweaked versions of those forms, depending on the circumstances and the specific material used. We don't need a comprehensive list of every single alllotment he can ever make with the Variable Power.

Hopefully Im done, but just in case I'd like to get a clarification.

Energy

Fire

Blast 8 [16pp]

Insubstantial 3 [15pp]

Strike 6 [Aura, Permanent] [6pp]

Teleport 2 [100 Feet; Flaws: Medium,Short Range] [1pp]

Vulnerability (Water Attacks, Frequency: Uncommon, Intensity: Major [x2 DMG]) [-3PP]

Electricity

Blast 7 [12pp]

Insubstantial 3 [15pp]

Strike 5 [Aura, Permanent] [6pp]

Teleport 4 [1 Mile Feet; Flaws: Medium,Short Range] [2pp]

Liquid

Water

Blast 7 [14pp]

Concealment 2 [Visual, Limited to Underwater] [1pp]

Elongation 4 [4pp]

Insubstantial 1 [5pp]

Suffocate 6 [12pp]

Swimming 6 [6pp]

Acid

Blast 7 [14pp]

Corrosion 6 [Permanent] [12pp]

Elongation 4 [4pp]

Insubstantial 1 [5pp]

Suffocate 3 [6pp]

Solid

Stone

Density 8 (+ 16 Strenght; +4 Toughness, Impervious; Immovable 2; Super Strenght 2. Feats: Groundstrike; Mass x8) [25pp]

Enhanced Strenght 5 (+10 Strenght) [10pp]

Protection 9 [9pp]

Vulnerability (Bludgeoning Attacks, Frequency: Very Common, Intensity: Minor [+1 DMG]) [-3PP]

Diamond

Protection 10 (Reflective (ranged attacks) 10 Limited: Only vs Light descriptor) [15pp]

Gaseous

Water mist

Concealment 4 (Visual senses; Innate; Flaws: Partial) [3pp]

Flight 3 (50MPH) [6pp]

Immunity 20 (All non-lethal Energy attacks; Limited) [10pp]

Insubstantial 2 [10pp]

Suffocate 5 (Area 2 [10 feet]; Cloud; Touch Range) [20pp]

Weakness (Strong Wind, 1/round, Frequency: Common, Intensity: Major [cumulative -1 drain on all abilities]) [-9PP]

Electricity Form: I'd suggest dropping Flight and just having Teleportation. And drop the Short Range, since teleporting across country over power lines is A) something a body-of-electricity being should be able to do, and B) is already written in your Char's background. 7pp can get Teleport 7 (700 feet/200 miles; Flaw: Medium/electrically-conductive surfaces); he could get from Mexico City to Freedom City in eleven jumps.

Acid Form: Permanent isn't a valid Flaw for Corrosion. I believe you're looking for an Aura... which can get expensive. I would instead suggest taking Blast and/or Strike, with either Penetrating or the Secondary Effect extras.