Stesha hurried outside, looking over the fallen tree. It didn't seem to be in a position to cause anyone any more trouble; in fact it seemed to be in some distress. She patted it, healing up its wounds, though she left it laying prone for the moment. "I'll come back and get you," she promised, "when you're not feeling so combative." There wasn't much time to clean up anything else, but a few minutes put the scene mostly to rights again, at least enough that nobody else was going to get hurt.

"If everybody gets close together, I can teleport us all to where the disturbance is coming from," Stesha told the other heroes. "I don't know how much I'm going to be good for once we get there, though. We'll have to see what happens when we get there. Everybody hold hands." When the whole group was together, she laid a hand somewhat gingerly on Dead Head's still-attached arm and touched the flowers in her hair, teleporting them all out into the woods with a quick rush of green and the smell of newly mown grass.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James just looked at Dead Head and raised an eyebrow. He made a quick gestures, snapping his hand closed into a fist, and exerted control over all the flames in the area. What little wisps might remain would be taken care of by the rain in moments. "What fires?" he asked with a grin. He nodded at the green haired woman, reaching out and taking a hand. He could teleport himself there easily enough. But might as well stay together and all that.

"Wise guy," Jack rolled his eyes as he clapped a hand on Hellion's shoulder as Dark Star's partner transported the group to the next hot spot of otherworldly energies. The swordsman grimaced as they arrived; teleportation never sat well with him; blurring the line between matter and energy made him nauseous. Nevertheless, he took a few steps away from the others and looked about to get his bearings.

Fleur de Joie's teleportation went off without a hitch, and within a bird's chirp, the crew arrived in Wharton State Forest. The woods were still largely bare at this time of year, the gray and brown dampened by the increasing rain. The richness of the coming spring hung in the air and gave the darkened landscape a peaceful quality. The strangeness ended that silence.

Out here in the depths of the energy disturbance, even those not attuned could feel the rapid rhythm of the alien life. The sensation came from every direction, as if they had teleported inside a vast, singular organism. The greening effect found in the suburban yard was absent, at least in this area. For the first few moments, nothing else seemed apparently out of place. The group was far from camp sites and hiking trails, sitting on a shallow hillside apparently deep within in the forest. Only the most dedicated outdoor enthusiasts tracked out this way. The scenery by day must be breathtaking.

Yet something was out of place. Down the hill, maybe 100 yards or so, flickered the telltale sparkles of a large campfire. Partially hidden by trunks, the fire must be a good sized one, and even from this distance, figures (maybe) humanoid, or more likely plant-like, danced around it while dozens mulled around nearby. They had their backs to the group, looking at something blocked by the fire.

As if the eldritch rumblings weren't enough, Fleur felt a thunderclap sensation in her head. Only briefly, and very transiently, Mama Nasty made its foul presence known. Obviously the creature was unhappy being locked up, but this problem was something else entirely. As if something about Mama Nasty was reacting with Fleur's powers. Frankly the closest approximation would be having an electrical controller stick her finger in a light socket. The buzz was faintly invigorating and ...pleasant.

Fleur stumbled again but recovered herself quickly, shaking her head to clear the bizarre sensation. "That big plant doesn't like being locked up," she murmured, focusing most of her attention on the strange tableau before them. Stretching her senses, she tried to tap into the trees overlooking the fire, hoping to catch a glimpse of what everyone was looking at over there. She had a feeling she knew, but everyone knows what they say about those who assume...

James grinned at Jack. "What? Like you have a monopoly on it?" he asked rhetorically, chuckling. As they appeared and the wrongness became apparent, he raised an eyebrow. "Well, this is odd. We've got the plant version of 'Clan of the Cave Bear' going on down there? I thought plants would hate fire. Hmm, I suppose I can remind them when we're ready." He glanced over at Fluer. "Are you going to be able to hold her? If not, we can hop over a dimension or two and dump her out there. I know this lovely barren rock of an alternate that would hold her quite nicely; assuming you feel the plane of fire is too extreme that is."

"Well, I am part of the deadpan snarkers' union," Jack responded blithely as he got his bearings. "Local 207. I'm not one to discourage young talent, but we don't take kindly to scabs, y'know?"

Looking down at the revelers, the swordsman scratched the stubble on his chin. "Freaky deaky. So, what d'you figure it's okay for me to stab, and what can I stab in the face?" he asked the others. Mobile venus fly traps were one thing, but if these creatures were getting more advanced, Jack wasn't sure how he felt about wantonly slicing them to pieces.

The scene that unfolded before Fleur de Joie's Plant-O-Vision was surreal if not quite as grotesque as the greenhouse. The fire consisted of a half-dozen or more small machines: snowmobiles, four wheelers, a lawn mower, even a chainsaw. Looks like they were piled up into a haphazard bonfire and torched with their own fuels. Empty gas cans litter the fire. The fire illuminated the dancers and watchers. Yes, more plant creatures. These however were more similar to the animated trees that appeared in Lantern Hill. Hundreds of the local trees, even if still rooted, were in fact animated. Thankfully for Fleur, a few normal trees and other plants remained.

In fact two of them, beyond the fire, were individually recognizable from the lawn battle. One even played with a Mercedes hood ornament, looking bored. The two, visibly the largest of the group, flank the man himself, or should be more specific, The Green Man himself. The only difference from his previous appearances was his sheer size: twelve feet at least. Double his normal stature, and on top of that, his bark thickened like plates of armor. His yellow eyes have taken on an unearthly greenish glow. He looked to be quite smug and very confident. Before him rests a badly smashed vine mass that looked vaguely like a sibling of Mama Nasty. The thing was tied down while The Green Man lorded over it looking hungry.

Most disturbingly perhaps, were the other human witnesses. Off to the right of GM rests a large, flat boulder with four people racked up on it by ropes. The four looked like hikers and a game warden. They appeared surprisingly healthy considering the state of their clothing. As the vine creature was positioned (quite unwillingly I may add), the trees continue dancing or swaying to some unheard music, but which matches the rhythm in the forest. If theses things feared fire, or anything, they weren't showing it.

"It's the Green Man, and he's... he's kind of huge," Stesha reported to the others, closing her eyes to concentrate on what she was seeing. "Much bigger than usual, and he's got some kind of armor going. He's got four human hostages, civilians, tied up with vines. The fire is a gasoline fire, they've lit things with gas tanks, so we'll have to watch for explosions. And there's another one of those plant things like the one I sucked up, but it's in bad shape. I think he's going to destroy it?" she said uncertainly. "Maybe consume it? I wonder if maybe those plants have whatever it is he's been looking for... I don't think we should let him get it, if we can help it."

"He's gonna eat its brain an' gain its knowledge?," Dead Head ruminated as he reattached his arm. "That's just sick!"

[beat]

"So, since you four got me way beat in the damage-dealin' an' enemy-vacuumin' department, how's'bout I focus on freein' th' hostages? One I get 'em untied, I can make sure they run far, far away from here."

James frowned a long moment in thought as he listened to Fleur's, then Dead Head's, words. "Well. Far be it from me to be the voice of caution here, but let's think about this before going in. Maybe get a plan or something. If it is like the house, then there are probably dozens upon dozens of those animated plant things. Maybe a good chunk of the surrounding trees. Having the civies just running through the woods might not help if that is the cast. Fleur, any way you can tell how many plants are mobile? Or cancel whatever leaf boy is doing to animate all of them?" he asked curiously, watching the fire and the moving things with a bit of curiousity.

"Yea, you sure you're the best man for that job, DH?" Breakdown chimed in after Hellion's consideration. "Last time I checked, y'all weren't too good at that whole public relations thing." Breakdown gave him a good-natured smile. It was a good plan, but like Hellion said, there were other factors to consider.

"However, I do think that if you can get me down there, I can give these plant dudes something really good to dance to." Breakdown hit a button on his sleeve, and music began softly wafting over the group. It was quiet, barely louder than a whisper, but they could hear it nonetheless.

[groove]20967665[/groove]

"I'll see if I can keep the bulk of them busy. Mainly so that we can buy DH some time for his stunt, but if I can distract them long enough, maybe Jack will have a chance to thin their numbers before we have to take on the jolly green giant over there." Breakdown pointed with his right hand at the large man behind the fire. He couldn't see him, but he knew he was there.

Jack tumbled his lighter back and forth across his knuckles idly. "Yeah, see, this all sound suspiciously like 'blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah," He mimed a mouth with his other hand. "Seriously, less talking, more chopping firewood, huh?" The swordsman could appreciate the importance of a good plan, but this wasn't a terribly complicated situation. Free the hostages, stop the weird plant cannibalism and make with stabity-stab. Jack figured they'd be better served by quick action than overwrought preparation.

The bonfire crackled into the night sky. The trees danced around the flames, heedless of the cinders licking at their leaves. The others swayed and seemed to chant in unearthly unison. Slowly but surely the tempo increased even as the vine mass finally relented to the restraints. A tension settled over the forest. Was it the party crashers or the plants that caused the feeling? Or something else.

Regardless conflict was upon the green. Would the heroes save the day? What exactly was The Green Man up to out here?

As the restrained wine creature still Jack rolled his eyes impatiently. "You kids figure something out with the hostages, I'll go make friends." Without waiting for a reply, the swashbuckler sauntered briskly straight into the middle of the clearing, waving his fiery blade to get the attention of the various arboreal revelers. "Hey hey! Quite the shindig. Got your bonfire, your hula... things, even a veggie platter. Swank!" Jack continued to move about, forcing the plants and their master to turn about to keep their eyes on him. "Makes sense, though. I mean, you're The Green Man, amirite? Big name, big trunk, big party. Sure, it's a stupid name, and some people might think the giant tree bod was you compensating for something and, okay, this is a bit of a twig-and-berry-fest, but haters gonna hate, huh?"

Like a needle scratching off the record, the entire revelry froze in unison. Only the breathing of the hostages and the crackling of the fire broke the strained silence. The animated trees, all of them, turned and focused their nearly mindless attentions on the scintillating swordsman. Simply put they are far, far too stupid to understand even a fraction of Jack's routine. They stood in place dumbly, watching the strange, babbling ape. Similarly, the bigger, meaner trees, "The Twins", become enthralled and hang on every word. Like a good insult comic, he was lampooning them and they are laughing. Well, the two don't have senses of humor, per say, but they would be if they did!

The Green Man was another story altogether. Grinding his stony teeth together, he looked around at his hypnotized minions. Stupid this being wasn't, so he played it cool. Looking back to Jack, he straightened himself to his full height and crossed his arms. His voice boomed, "What is the meaning of this intrusion?!" Jack could see that the plant man's eyes darted about subtly, his senses alert.

"Way to start us of, Jack!" Breakdown called after the swordsman, "Now get ready for the drop."

Breakdown decided he'd try something new. He used his radio sense to target his iPods. Instantly, it picked out the song he'd wanted. Oh, that's gonna come in handy...

[groove]21055752[/groove]

"C'mon DH, let's take a trip." Suddenly, the two vanished. Breakdown reappeared on top of the rock with the hostages, long enough do drop Dead Head behind the rock and fire a blast of sound in the direction of the Green Man's body guards. A second later he teleported away again.

With the animated trees and The Green Man content to watch Jack's antics, Breakdown teleported onto the rock and dropped off his passenger without issue. The group didn't even notice the music man, let alone the revolting revenant. But one did feel Breakdown when he blasted it with sound! The nearest body guard tree, "Twig", reared back and tried to shield itself from the incoming shockwave. Incredibly, although still rattled and buzzy, the huge tree was none the worse for wear.

Balling a huge fist, it turned toward the rock and growled. "Who!?" and blinked in confusion. The human hostages were sweating bullets.

Then things started to get interesting...

"Sprig" continued watching Jack, completely oblivious to it's brothers ambush. "Twig" stomped over to the rock and raised a huge fist, brandishing it at the hostages, "Who!?"

Raising the woody fist above the humans, the green guardian yelled at Jack, "Stop!"

Stesha stayed where she was for a moment, still feeling bone-weary after the shenanigans a few minutes ago. She snapped back to attention as the giant plant thing began menacing the hostages. That wouldn't do at all! The Green Man might be legendary for his control of plants, but they were her plants too, and he wouldn't do evil with them without a fight!

She concentrated on the vines binding the center hostage, making them stretch and grow a gigantic, floppy-petaled flower. When it was big enough, she brought it down with a thought, sending it tumbling down over the gaggle of helpless humans with a soft whumpf as it swallowed them up and deposited them safely in plant storage for the time being.

The hostages gasped as the giant flower engulfed them. Not knowing exactly what was going on, they were more than a little terrified of this plant dimension. Still the wooden fist of the tree wasn't menacing them, and that did leave a little room for comfort. Mama Nasty though wasn't pleased at all. As if it could sense the power's use, it fought against imprisonment and gave Fleur de Joie a strange butterflies-in-the-stomach sensation that was quite unpleasant. The feeling only lasted a few seconds but was stronger than the first time.

Meanwhile, the lack of hostages changed the situation for Dead Head and Twig. The big tree smashed the boulder on instinct, but the flower was too fast. A good-sized chunk split off and the top became a spiderweb of cracks. Obviously if the humans had still been there...yeah. Twig turned back to The Green Man, communicating silently with its master. The Green Man growled, not looking toward Twig, and finally broke his concentration on Jack.

Ignoring his unmotivated (and yet vaguely hypnotized minions), he drove a hand into the center of vine beast. The empathetic blast from the dying creature roared inside Fleur's head, and only served to piss off Mama Nasty even further. Even Hellion and Jack felt it, as if the bizarre energy they had been feeling burst forth from the creature, only to be consumed utterly by The Green Man. Ropey strands of bark and wood wrapped around his body, increasing his mass and strength. Everyone could hear the warping sounds as he grew another foot or more. The yellow cast to eyes brightened. He radiated the power of the forest and alien taint, especially in his clinched right fist, which had delivered the killing blow.

"Stop all this foolishness!" he boomed, yelling out into the forest as much as addressing the West End Wonder. Softening his gravelly voice, he continued, "We are on the same side, children of the Earth! Open your eyes to a threat greater than anything you have beheld before!" He gestured to the liquefying vines, "This is your true enemy. That you are here tells me you sense the true monster! Let us...talk."

James looked at the Green Man and grinned. "Oh, yeah. Definitely. You're right! We're on the same side, of course! How could I have missed it," he said, amused. He gestured, washing the are in Hellfire, but only affect the various mobile plants and outsiders (Fleur not withstanding!). "You must be barking mad. Did a woodpecker peck out what passes for your brain?"

Hellion's answer to The Green Man was a wash of destructive hellfire right over the clearing. The animated trees, so very many of them, went up like kindling. Those few that survived the initial onslaught ran around fully engulfed before falling and moving no more. Twig, the menacing tree body guard, also lit up, but it had the good sense to try and turn away and stomp out the supernatural flames charring its trunk. Sprig, on the left of The Green Man, came out spotless, with only a light, smokey shadow. Not that it was happy about the situation.

The Green Man himself reacted, if not lightning fast, than with more experience and intelligence that its tree minions. As the smoke cleared, he stood next to his makeshift altar. He didn't even look singed. Okay, well, mentally he was cooked. All pretense of civility was long gone. "Foolish sapling! You will doom us all!" And you know, he really seemed to mean it.

Yeah, it probably is for the best that Fleur got 'em out, rather than let me save 'em.

"Only threat I see here is you, hoss," the Revoltin' Revenant spat back, "an' if'n yer suckin' up all this weird space-mojo t'boost yerself up, I reckon we better stop ya... right here an' now!"

Dead Head lunged forward with his shovel, swinging it in a high and wide arc before sinking the blade end into the Green Man's arm, the one he'd used to kill the vine-beast. Maybe severing it would stop the transfer of space-mojo, or at least make it hard for him to strike back. He knew the Green Man could regrow bits of himself, so he could take a harsher beating than most others.

Then again, if it worked, and the severed limb grew into another Green Man... well, it wouldn't be the first time he acted without thinking all the way through.

"Wait, wait!" Fleur called, watching the battle as it unfolded. The plant stuck in her powers was making her feel a little nauseous, but she spoke up anyway. "Stop! There's something really messed up going on here, and we don't know what it is. Something is very strange with these plants. Really bad. If he knows anything, we need to find out what it is!"

The Green Man turned to Dead Head with a surprised look on his face. Where the heck did the zombie come from? Then he looked down at his severed right arm. An appropriately greenish mist drifted up from the severed limb and into the stump. Still Dead Head may have had the right idea. The weird mojo seemed to slow down at bit, and so did The Green Man's alien transformation.

Really though his emotional reaction was the strangest though. "Any other time you heroes would be talking my ear off!" the armored tree growled at Dead Head.