I Don't Know Kung Fu

Ecalsneerg

"Dodging's at least as important in a close-up fight as punching," Erin told him. "If you can't get out of the way, you might get taken out before you have a chance to do any damage. Even if it heals up fast, you take enough, and you're still down for the count." She thought for a minute. "Okay, I want you to try and hit me, then I'm going to try and hit you. I want you to show me how you dodge. Okay?"

Chris was fast, but Erin was faster, catching sight of the punch an instant before it landed and dropping to a crouch. His fist whipped past over her head. Even as he was bringing his arms up to block, she was there, tapping him firmly in the solar plexus with her fist with enough force to show that she could've done substantial damage if she hadn't held back. Though she wouldn't let it show, Erin had practiced for hundreds of hours to gain the control needed for that small trick. "Not bad," she told him, "you should do fine fighting your average bad guys on the street. But you'll need a lot of practice before you get into a fistfight with the metas who do it for a living. And your skills are really in other areas."

Chris shuffled back, holding his guard up anyway. "Exactly, my skills are in other areas. Thus why I don't need to practice them so hard. It's weird, I can pick up pretty much any skill in a few days, but fighting is the one that continues to elude me. Hell, I find medical textbooks easier than kicking a dude in the nads."