Alternate Form--Projection

Ok, thanks for the answers regarding the Mental control. Now one about the projection version of alternate form.

The way I read it is that the alternate form is your normal abilities plus the alternate form abilities whether it is a projection or not. So if I had mental control, and then made the alternate form, the alternate form would have it also.

But say I had Force field (sustained) Would it protect my unconscious real form and the alterante form at the same time? I think it would but i want to check.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, thanks for the answers regarding the Mental control. Now one about the projection version of alternate form.

The way I read it is that the alternate form is your normal abilities plus the alternate form abilities whether it is a projection or not. So if I had mental control, and then made the alternate form, the alternate form would have it also.

But say I had Force field (sustained) Would it protect my unconscious real form and the alterante form at the same time? I think it would but i want to check.

I don't believe so, no. Protection, of any kind, only applies to one person at a time. Although your body is still "you", if you had Protection instead of a Force Field, it wouldn't apply to your unconscious body. The very idea behind the "Projection" flaw is that your body is vulnerable. I believe what you're looking for is Astral Projection, in the UP book, pg 137. In case you don't have it, here's the mechanics:

Effect: Communication and ESP

Range: Extended

Saving Throw: None

Action: Standard(Active)

Duration: Continuous

Cost: 5 points per rank

With this power, you can go up to a range of your rank in the Extended Range table. You are not invisible unless you have the Subtle feat added, at the standard one for a DC 20 Notice check, two to be totally invisible. You have your normal senses and everything while in Astral Form.

Try that instead.

I don't believe so, no. Protection, of any kind, only applies to one person at a time. Although your body is still "you", if you had Protection instead of a Force Field, it wouldn't apply to your unconscious body. The very idea behind the "Projection" flaw is that your body is vulnerable. I believe what you're looking for is Astral Projection, in the UP book, pg 137. In case you don't have it, here's the mechanics:

With this power, you can go up to a range of your rank in the Extended Range table. You are not invisible unless you have the Subtle feat added, at the standard one for a DC 20 Notice check, two to be totally invisible. You have your normal senses and everything while in Astral Form.

Try that instead.

Try that instead.

can unconscious people use sustained powers? i'm pretty sure not. If you were talking about protection (a perm power) i would think it would protect both of your forms. i think leaving your body behind unconscious is enough of a flaw to get the -1. you don't need to make your real body unconscious and lose all of your perm and cont powers to get it, IMO.

can unconscious people use sustained powers? i'm pretty sure not. If you were talking about protection (a perm power) i would think it would protect both of your forms. i think leaving your body behind unconscious is enough of a flaw to get the -1. you don't need to make your real body unconscious and lose all of your perm and cont powers to get it, IMO.

I don't believe so, no. Protection, of any kind, only applies to one person at a time . . . The very idea behind the "Projection" flaw is that your body is vulnerable.

I think V_M has it about right. I'd say two things.

1. If you want a power to protect you (unconscious) and you (your projected form) at the same time, then I'd probably say you'd need to purchase it with the Affects Others extra (or similar), just as if you were trying to get one power to work on two people under any other circumstances.

2. You should always be careful about taking a Flaw and then trying to engineer a way around that Flaw. If the Projection Flaw doesn't turn out to actually be a flaw, then it isn't worth any discount.

I don't believe so, no. Protection, of any kind, only applies to one person at a time . . . The very idea behind the "Projection" flaw is that your body is vulnerable.

1. If you want a power to protect you (unconscious) and you (your projected form) at the same time, then I'd probably say you'd need to purchase it with the Affects Others extra (or similar), just as if you were trying to get one power to work on two people under any other circumstances.

2. You should always be careful about taking a Flaw and then trying to engineer a way around that Flaw. If the Projection Flaw doesn't turn out to actually be a flaw, then it isn't worth any discount.

Actually, to my thinking, I was wondering why it was a flaw. The way I see it is that you make another body right next to you, an then send it out to do mayhem, but can dissolve that projection and return to your own body at any time with a free action. Of course there is the problem of an unconscious body left behind, but it seems to me it would be pretty hard to find that. Very interesting power.

Actually, to my thinking, I was wondering why it was a flaw. The way I see it is that you make another body right next to you, an then send it out to do mayhem, but can dissolve that projection and return to your own body at any time with a free action. Of course there is the problem of an unconscious body left behind, but it seems to me it would be pretty hard to find that. Very interesting power.

I agree completely. Especially in a game like this, where players can pretty much write their own stories, it's not much of a flaw at all. Which is exactly why I don't think most people should get a -1 discount for it. :D

The Refs are discussing this now. I'll let you know what we decide as soon as we decide something.

I agree completely. Especially in a game like this, where players can pretty much write their own stories, it's not much of a flaw at all. Which is exactly why I don't think most people should get a -1 discount for it. :D

The Refs are discussing this now. I'll let you know what we decide as soon as we decide something.

I have been thinking more about the Alt Form-projection, and to me it seems as though the cost should depend onthe number of ranks of the Alt-form.

For example, if I take Alt-Form 10 it wold cost 40 points. 40 points I could not really use on the spur of the moment. If I were ambushed by a hero, then if I use those 40 points and change form, then the hero could simply pound my unconscious body into the ground, or I fight the hero 40 points shy of full power, which might not be very easy.

That seems balanced for a -1, or even a +0 modification.

Now where it is really abusive is where I take only a few ranks, or even worse a single rank. Suddenly for 4 points, I walk around all day with a 146 point build, and gain the strong ability of changing into another form and and wrecking havoc with far less vulnerability than usual.

So to me, it depends on the number of ranks. What do you all think?