Physicus

Skysong

((To give credit, this little factbook is modeled after the one posted for Jack of all Blades.))

Index:

Capers and Complications (Thread Participation Listing):

February 26, 2010: The Crash

Zakitaj's arrival on Earth does not go according to plan. Friendly superheroes bail him out despite an attack by an angry Broan ex-commander.

February 26, 2010 (Later): Life Goes On

Fulcrum helps Zakitaj work on getting his people settled into new homes in Freedom City. Less than a day on Earth and he's on a date.

February 28, 2010: Happier Times

Zakitaj visits the family of the first Physicus and gets permission to take up his mantle, as well as access to the people he needs to help him fight crime. He later encounters the superhero Dead Head and ponders the possibility of life after death; after all, his mentor hasn't really been dead that long, has he?

Reputation Chart:

Gather Information

DC 10: Physicus is a Human Alien superhero who wears a unique battlesuit and operates out of Freedom City.

DC 15: Physicus is the champion of the remnants of a Human Alien race called the Khaladi.

DC 20: Physicus arrived in Freedom City on February 26, 2010, when a starship carrying all of the Khaladi crashed into the ocean nearby.

DC 25: The Khaladi are refugees whose homeworld was destroyed by the brutal Broan Empire.

DC 30: Physicus is the second hero under that name; the first was active from the late sixties to the early eighties.

Knowledge: Technology

DC 10: Physicus is a Human Alien superhero who wears a unique battlesuit and operates out of Freedom City.

DC 15: Physicus has no powers without his suit, which is incredibly durable and allows him to shoot bolts of kinetic energy.

DC 20: The suit recycles oxygen and nutrients, and could theoretically sustain Physicus indefinitely.

DC 25: The suit is bio-linked to members of the Khaladi royal bloodline, and will not operate at all for anyone else.

DC 30: The suit is made out of an energy-absorbent material called Khaladi Phaseweave, which cannot be created anywhere other than the now destroyed planet of Khalados due to the unique properties of that planet's magnetic field, which influenced the forging process.

Knowledge: Streetwise

DC 15: Physicus's real name is Zakitaj Kelembran; he is financially supported in his crime-fighting by his fellow Khaladi Human-Aliens.

DC 20: Physicus is a real boy scout, with a code forbidding unnecessary harm and obligating him to see that criminals are tried fairly.

DC 25: Physicus is a strong believer in redemption who prefers to avoid violence when possible. He is often called naive.

DC 30: Physicus is actually Physicus II; the original was a teleporting hero who fought street crime from the sixties to the early eighties.

RPG Character Questionnaire:

Introduction:

Give a two or three word description of yourself. (Describe your character's concept.)

Armored Alien Adjudicator

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Zak, Physicus II, Prince Kelembran (inaccurate, seeing as I'm a bastard child and not an actual claimant to the throne)

What is your full birth name?

Zakitaj Mrridst Kelembran

Where do you live?

A small house on Wilson Street in the West End of Freedom City.

Why do you live there?

It's where all of the survivors of my people live.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My fearless devotion to a worthy cause.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

My precarious position; one significant failure, and I doom the hopes of my people.

Physical Traits:

How old are you? (Chronological age as well as age category.)

Physically, 24 years old. Technically, 32 years old (born 1978, spent 8 years in cryosleep).

What is your sex?

Male

What is your race?

Khaladi, specifically Urthrmni (err-thrum-nee) from the planet's northern regions.

How tall are you?

6 feet 1 inch

How much do you weigh?

167 lbs

What is your general body type, frame, bone structure, and poise?

Though not particularly muscular, I am thin and quick, with a dancer's build. My face is chiseled, with a strong jaw. My movements are graceful, flowing, and connected.

What is your skin colour?

Pale, but warm.

What is your hair colour?

Chestnut brown.

What is your hair style?

A straight mane that falls to my shoulders.

Do you have any facial hair?

I am clean-shaven; my suit's decontamination processes burn off any chance of a beard.

What is your eye colour?

Aqua, like a warm sea.

How attractive are you?

I inherited my father's good looks, and stand out in crowds.

What is your most distinguishing feature?

My hair, probably. I somehow keep it from looking feminine; don't ask how.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, or birthmarks?

Not yet, no.

What is your handedness (left/right/ambidextrous)?

I am right-handed.

Do you resemble some currently known person?

Not particularly.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Out of costume, I wear Earthling civilian clothing, favoring loose garments that I can move easily in. My costume is my battlesuit, a semi-liquid silver and dark purple construct that covers my entire body. It has no facial features, to add to its mystique and (potentially) intimidation factor, but I can make any part of it transparent at will.

Do you wear makeup?

No, most emphatically not.

What sort of vocal tone do you have?

Rich and deep; sometimes booming, if I will it, but usually more calm and refined.

History:

Where is your homeland?

Formerly Khalados, now the United States of America.

Are you aware of its history?

I've done my research, yes.

Are you patriotic or a social outcast?

I have experienced little of America outside Freedom City, but I have never encountered a greater city than Freedom.

What are your opinion of home?

My old home is gone. My new home is also my mission; I have learned to love it, and now I must protect it.

Where is your home town?

The Capital (rough translation) on Khalados.

Are your real reasons for becoming an adventurer different from what you tell others?

No. I'm quite honest about both my desire to improve Freedom City as a whole and my hope to help my people forge a new home there.

How far would you go to keep such secrets from being revealed? What would you do if the truth became known?

The only things I hide from the public are my doubts and fears. I think few could blame me for having those.

What do you fear would occur if the truth became known?

People might lose faith in me; I hope they know that everyone has doubts and fears, even public figures.

Do you have any particularly high or low ability scores?

I am swift and agile as well as persuasive and good-looking.

How have these scores affected your life so far?

My quickness has kept me alive; my charm has made me a popular figure among my people.

What about your race, growing up were you in the majority or a minority?

A minority, but I was in the Royal Family, and we all were.

Did this impact your outlook in any way?

No. My homeworld is gone. My people need to be united regardless of racial or tribal affiliations.

How do you feel about other races?

Humans are humans. We need to work together, or another species that does will sweep us away.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

I never knew my mother, but I was brought up well (and isolated) enough that I didn't often notice.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

When the original Physicus first told me to stop being a brat. Eventually, I did, I think. I hope.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

I used to insult people for the sheer fun of it, being immune to retaliation. Physicus put a stop to that.

Which toys from your childhood have you kept?

None. I wasn't able to take anything but my clothes and my battlesuit with me from Khalados.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

It bothers me that I saved a dying man when I could have saved someone who might have lived. No one else has questioned the decision, though.

Are you who you claim to be?

Absolutely. I make no secret of my identity.

Do you have any sort of criminal record?

Well, there was a nasty incident with a crashing starship and a cargo barge when I arrived, but no charges were pressed; superheroes saved all involved.

How do you view the heroes/legends of your country?

What I know of them, I admire greatly and aspire to match.

Family:

Who were your parents?

My father was Prince Kastig Kelembran; I never knew my mother.

Were you raised by them? If not, then why didn't they and who did raise you?

My father raised me, though Physicus was the one who forced me to mature.

What was their standing in the community?

He was third in line to the throne. I never lacked anything.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

We remained in the capital; there was little reason to travel.

How did you get along with their parents?

My father was my role model for a while, but he turned out to be a poor one; our relations became a little strained later in life.

How would your parents describe you?

Well, assuming the dead could speak: "head so full of lofty ideas he's liable to float away from the table of plenty right next to him."

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what were their names? How did you get along with each of your siblings?

I had four half-siblings, all by different mothers. I'm fairly certain all of them are dead, though we got along well enough before.

What was your birth position in the family?

Second-eldest.

List all current knowledge of family locations, spouses, children, birth dates, schooling, and any important incidents that only you and they might remember.

As far as I know, every last member of my family is dead, killed during the destruction of Khalados.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

I suppose you could say that we're estranged; the dead don't have anything to say.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

My father's ways were despicable; I must always strive to avoid the hedonism he advocated.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Not any more.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)?

I was the only one in the family who took to Physicus's teachings, which created some divisions amongst us.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor?

All of the kings and queens of Khalados are my ancestors, though that's rather irrelevant now.

Do you ever want to have a family of your own someday?

From the standpoint of duty, I need to have a child, or my armor will become useless after my death. Emotionally... I don't know.

Would anything change your mind on this issue and if so, what?

Well, I could clone myself and spare myself the trouble of finding love. I just don't know that I feel ready; I flirt, but I don't go much further. Lingering vestiges of my father's influence, I suppose.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

I ask myself that quite a lot. Someone in whom I could confide, and who shares my principles and my drive.

Relationships:

Do you have any close friends? If so, who and what are they like?

Physicus was the closest friend I ever had. I hope that his brother Erik will come to accept me as well.

What is the history of their relationship(s) with you?

Physicus was my mentor and savior back on Khalados. Erik is now the legal part of my crime-fighting team.

Do you currently have a best friend whom you would protect with your reputation or your life?

Erik risked a lot by offering to help me. I'd go to great lengths to protect him and his family.

If so, who are they and what caused you to feel so close to them? What would have to happen for you to end this relationship?

Erik is an elderly, married man who is still willing to help. I'd understand if he chose to go back to retirement. He'd have to actively betray me to make me angry at him, and I know he'd never do that.

Do you have any bitter enemies?

The Broan Empire, which destroyed my homeworld, is my sworn enemy.

If so, who are they, what are they like, and what is the history of their feud with you?

The Broan took away everything I cared about at the time. I escaped, and that was embarrassing to them. There's resentment on both sides.

Have you defeated them before?

Only by living to fight another day.

How might these enemies seek to discomfit you in the future?

The Broan have tried to kill me and my people once on Earth already. I suspect they'll try again.

Which person(s) or group(s) are you most loyal to?

My people, the Khaladi.

Who is your most trusted ally?

Erik Sondergaard, my lawyer and the brother of my mentor.

Who do you trust, in general?

The heroes of Freedom City, my contacts, and my people.

Who do you despise and why?

The Broan, obviously. People who cause havoc for profit or pleasure.

Name seven things you hate in others.

Intolerance, Greed, Selfishness, Disregard for Justice, Wrath for its own sake, Unwillingness to Compromise, Lack of Mercy

Is your image consistent?

I tend to be seen fairly consistently as a boy scout-type naive hero with a good heart but a lack of experience.

Do you deliberately present yourself differently in different situations, and how?

Hm... Well, I flirt, and doesn't everyone when flirting?

What would you die for?

To prevent the world from becoming worse. I'd be willing to die to prevent anything from changing, but dying to improve things is preferable.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Destroying my homeworld, my family, my mentor, and my hopes for my life on Khalados.

What is your general reaction to an attractive member of the opposite sex who lets you know they are available?

I flirt, certainly, but I've never been in a serious relationship. Perhaps that will change on Earth.

How do you get along with others of the same adventuring class?

I suppose I would get alone fine with others wearing battlesuits, so long as their ideals were compatible with mine.

Have you lost any loves?

No. I never considered a serious relationship on Khalados.

Who would miss you should you go missing?

My people, and my contacts. Some of Freedom City's superheroes, I hope.

How close are you to your adventuring companions?

I'm fine with being a part of a team. I've always worked well with others.

What do they not know about you?

I'm pretty open with everything except my insecurities.

Are you a member of any house, guild, organisation, or church? What is your level of involvement?

No, not presently.

Personality and Beliefs:

Do you, or did you, have any role models?

The first Physicus, my mentor.

Do you have any heroes or idols, either contemporary or from legend?

I look up to all of Freedom City's defenders, even as I join their ranks.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

No. I trust this city's heroes, and they've done nothing to betray that trust.

When did you decide to become an adventurer?

Back on Khalados, actually, when Physicus taught me about superheroes. It didn't happen until I got to Earth, though.

Why have you chosen to risk your life as a career?

Because it sends a clear message of hope of my people, and it helps me improve the world that is now my home.

What do you expect to get out of being an adventurer? What, if anything, would make you stop adventuring?

What I get out of it isn't important, though it does feel good to serve justice. I'd stop if I was endangering more people than I helped.

Do you have any dreams or ambitions? If not, why?

To live to see my people as productive citizens of this planet who still remember where they came from. To make this world better.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

To make a difference locally, and to get my people settled in.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

I'd only be in my mid forties, so I'd likely be doing about the same thing I'm doing now.

Do you have any great rational or irrational fears or phobias? If so, what are the origins of, or reasons behind them?

I fear that, if I fail, it will reflect badly on my people.

How do you react when this fear manifests itself?

I try not to fail.

What are your attitudes regarding material wealth?

I used to have all the wealth I could want. It was convenient, but it didn't make me any happier.

Are you miserly with your share of the wealth, or do you spend it freely?

I don't actually work for a living; my fellow Khaladi donate for my needs, and I try not to take much from them.

Do you see wealth as a mark of success, or just as a means to an end?

A means to an end. Like I said, it doesn't bring happiness.

How do you generally treat others?

With respect, to put it simply.

Do you trust easily (perhaps too easily) or not?

I trust easily, but woe to those who betray that trust.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)?

Extroverted, certainly. I'm a public figure, and I like people.

Are you a humble soul or blusteringly proud?

I am proud of my accomplishments; by the same token, I always remember every mistake I make.

What habits do you find most annoying in friends?

I try to listen to friends no matter their problems or habits.

What are your most annoying habits?

Probably being naive; everything about Earth seems so amazing that I trust a little too easily.

Is there any race, creed, alignment, religion, class, profession, political viewpoint, or the like against which you are strongly prejudiced, and why?

I hate arrogant politicians. My people's arrogant politicians got most of us killed.

What is your favourite food?

Hard to say. I'm still getting used to Earthling food.

What is your favourite drink?

Herbal tea. It's soothing, and I associate it with positive experiences.

What is your favourite treat (desert)?

I'm a fan of baklava; honey would have been worth a fortune on Khalados.

Do you favour a particular cuisine?

No; all Earthling food fascinates me, though some types I only try once.

Do you savour the tastes when eating or "wolf down" your food?

Savour, absolutely. Good food is a great pleasure.

Do you like food mild or heavily spiced?

I have to be careful with the spice; my taste buds can only take so much.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

The idea of the factory farm system disgusts me. I am careful to eat only organic meat.

What are your favourite colour(s)?

I chose the purple and silver of my suit; I suppose they would be my favorite colors.

Is there any colour that you dislike?

I fail to understand the world's fascination with pink. It's harsh on the eyes.

Do you have a favourite (or hated) song, type of music, or instrument?

Jazz is a fascinating style of music, very different from what I know. I like it a great deal, though classical is also pleasant.

If you have a favourite scent, what is it?

Cement, like in a parking garage stairwell. Bizarre, I know.

What is your favourite type of animal?

Birds. Any animal that flies and sings for pleasure is a wise one.

Are you allergic to any kinds of animals?

Not that I know of.

Is there anything that enrages you?

Poorly thought-out plans (sometimes ironic), overconfidence in the face of bad odds, violence for its own sake.

Is there anything which embarrasses you?

I can't read English very well; I have to say the words while I read them to understand.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

Hard to say; I've never really "roughed it".

Do you have a patron deity?

No, I don't.

Are you devout or impious?

I'm irreligious; my people's mythology never caught on with me.

Do you actively worship and proselytise or do you simply pay lip service?

Neither.

What lengths would you go to defend your faith?

I defend my belief in science with reason.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

No; I came to my own conclusions through experience.

Do you belong to a dominant church, or an independent church, cult, or sect (and is the group accepted, frowned upon, or considered heretics)?

None of the above.

Will you kill?

Never. That's against my code, and with good reason.

When do you consider it okay to kill (under what circumstances)?

Never. There always has to be a better way.

What would you do if someone else attempted to (or successfully did) kill under your "wrong" circumstances, what would be your reaction?

I would do my best to stop anyone from killing anyone else. If I should fail, I would take it personally.

What if it was your enemy?

My fury would know no bounds, but I wouldn't sink to their level.

What if it was your friend?

I don't believe I've picked friends that would do such a thing.

What if the opponent was not in control of his or her own actions (under duress, charmed, dominated, possessed)?

My wrath would fall on the controller, then, as soon as the controlled was no longer a threat.

What would you do if something were stolen from you?

I would do what I could to take it back; my possessions are generally things essential to my mission.

What would you do if you were badly insulted publicly?

I can't afford to have a negative reputation; I would verbally fight back.

What would you do if a good friend or relative were killed by means other than natural death?

Discover the cause of their death and ensure that it could not kill anyone else.

What is the one task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Kill anyone, as previously stated.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Torture, especially for mere sadism. The only thing worse than killing is making someone wish they were dead.

How do you feel about government (rulers) in general? Why do you feel that way?

Governments walk a difficult line, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't criticize them when they stray from it.

Do you support the current government of your homeland?

Freedom City seems to be doing well enough, so yes.

If so, how far are you willing to go to defend the government? If not, do you actively oppose it?

I would fight to protect the legitimate authorities unless the alternative was proven to be better.

What form of government do you believe is the best (democracy, monarchy, anarchy, aristocratic rule, oligarchy, matriarchy) and why?

Democracy; it isn't perfect, but it's the best option we have.

Do you have any unusual habits or dominant personality traits that are evident to others?

Hm... not that I can think of.

Do you have any unusual or nervous mannerisms, such as when talking, thinking, afraid, under stress, or when embarrassed?

I touch my chin when thinking, and sometimes I pace in circles.

What is your most treasured possession?

My battlesuit; it is essential to my mission.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what 5 things would you do in those remaining hours?

Attempt to get myself cloned, or modify the genetic restrictions on my armor (if that's possible).

Encourage my people to keep going, and to trust the other heroes of Freedom City.

Make good use of my suit on patrol or, failing that, simply enjoy its capabilities.

Take a walk in the park near the place where I arrived on Earth.

Give other superheroes access to my network of contacts.

Career and Training:

Where and how were you educated?

Royal tutors and Physicus on Khalados.

Who trained you in your adventuring class(es)?

Physicus.

What was your relationship with your teacher(s)/mentor(s)?

Physicus and I were the best of friends, despite the generation gap.

Is this person or institution still in existence?

No, all of the above are dead.

Were you a prize student or did you just barely pass?

A prize student.

Look at your skills. How did you acquire them (especially the unusual ones)?

Through training and technology.

Have you ever done anything else for a living?

No, I've never worked for a living in my life.

How do you function in combat (manoeuvres, weaknesses)?

I make use of cover and try to keep a distance from my foes; I'm more effective at range.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

Not formally; many of the Khaladi consider me their secondary savior.

Is there anything that you don't currently know how to do that you wish you could?

I wish I knew how to bring back the dead. Or put planets back together.

Are you envious of others who can do such things in a good-natured way or are you sullen and morose about it?

I wish I had the experience of other heroes, but I know that I will gain it with time. My powers are my powers; I don't like anyone else's more.

Lifestyle & Hobbies:

When not adventuring, what is your normal daily routine?

Check up on my fellow Khaladi, ensure my suit is in good repair, sleep; my job, effectively, is to be a superhero.

How do you feel and react when this routine is interrupted for some reason?

There's not much routine there; it's mostly interrupted by superheroing, which is always welcome. It's my mission, after all.

What are your hobbies when you are not adventuring or training?

Research. I want to know everything I can about Earth.

What do you do for relaxation? What things do you do for enjoyment? What interests do you have?

I sleep. It's one of the high points of life.

How do you normally dress when not in your adventuring gear?

Loose, mobile civilian clothing.

What do you normally wear in bed at home?

Just my underwear and a bedshirt, plus the chestplate of my battlesuit. I rarely take that off.

What do you normally wear in bed while adventuring?

My suit is surprisingly comfortable; it's designed to be useful in pretty much any situation.

Do you wear any identifiable jewellery?

No.

Where do you normally put your weapons, magic items, or other valuables when you are sleeping?

When not fully in my suit, I put my gloves beneath my pillow; hidden, but readily accessible.

What morning or evening routines do you normally have?

I spend most of the day on patrol or taking care of hero-related business, but the real patrol happens at night.

Do these change when you are adventuring?

Not really; my routines are adventuring.

Travel: how do you get around locally?

I take the monorail, or the subway. I walk shorter distances. I don't actually know how to drive.

Do you have a Last Will and Testament?

No. It's assumed that my possessions pass to my people as a whole, to be used as needed.

Miscellaneous

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

My drive to improve the world and my passion for justice.

What kind of threat do you present to the public?

My powers are not deadly (though they can incapacitate), but I am very difficult to harm, so I suppose some might fear me.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

Um... probably not, no. It would take a lot to destroy my suit beyond recognition, though.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Zak, you don't need to worry so much. You have what you need to succeed; go out there and use it without fear.

Allies and Enemies:

Freedom City Heroes:

Breakdown - Teenage Music Master

Despite his youth, he knows how to use his powers well, and even the prospect of alien attack doesn't phase him. Impressive.

Dark Star - Spacefaring Energy Being

He has my eternal thanks and respect for his efforts when my people first arrived on this planet; his powers are formidable indeed.

Dead Head - Zombified Spirit Summoner

We had a... rocky start, and I don't understand his powers at all; science can't explain them. All the same, he means well... I think.

Fleur de Joie - Mistress of Plants

We met only briefly, but I found her to be both compassionate and powerful, a rare combination.

Fulcrum - Super-Strong Sentinel

She went above and beyond all my expectations of Earth; I find her fascinating in more ways than I can describe.

Gossamer - Prehensile-Haired Researcher

Her power would be pretty useless to most people, but she capitalized on it; if only everyone played to their strengths so effectively.

Rogues Gallery:

Commander Tysu - Telepathic Alien Aggressor

The Broan commander who destroyed my homeworld; my survival caused him to lose his rank, and rumors say he's followed me for revenge.