Top Posters In This Topic

Jester's I believe.

Standard: Configure VP to the following:

Really Oversized squeaky hammer [24pp]

Damage 8 PF: Penetrating 4; Extended Reach 3 [12pp]

LINKED

Confuse 8 Flaws: Touch Range PF: Extended Reach 3[4pp]

Takedown Attack 2

Move: Move up into range with as many of them as I can.

SURGE

Standard: Hammer'd

Hammer Attack roll vs Harlequins, PA 4, DC 27 Tough, DC 22 Will, Multiple rolls used in case I down one of them, use first attack to last attack (1d20+10=22, 1d20+10=23, 1d20+10=25)

3 HP remaining

I doubt it'll make much difference in the long run, but it occurs to me to ask if the lady in the shadows had concealment from all senses, or just visual. Generally speaking, anyone tossing around enough magic to counteract Dark Star's powers would kinda stand out, energy-wise.

Sorry, Cy, but 'Star's the most expressly powerful guy there, which means he gets to be the Worf. "She negated Dark Star's powers?! Oh man, she must be really powerful! Things look dire for our heroes now!" If he were a robot hero, he'd have gotten blow up by now, a la Vision or Red Tornado.

In the meantime, how great is "Almost Got 'Im"? Probably my favourite episode out of the entire series.

Alright! Now we're movin! Cyroa, yes you can has HP. And yes it was something like Gizmo said :P

Geez3r: "You have a rank 9 rock. With a +13 to hit. You're a power level 11 rock chucker! I'm just going to let that sink in for a bit."
I have to question where the 9 damage rock is coming since Colt doesn't have Throwing Mastery.

Also when she casts that counter, Gizmo pointed out you all get another Notice check, DC20. For that I will still say only doc caught it, but I will add that Jack saw it too.

Geez3r you bop two of them. I should have made it clearer that the guard was partly hiding at the end of the alley and the two thugs were more near the middle of the alley.

(22:18:09) Gizmo: Sand, how high is the alleyway?

(22:18:11) Dr_Archeville: ... for Science!?

(22:18:45) Sandman_XI: two stories

(22:19:37) Gizmo: So, like, 15'?

(22:19:58) Gizmo: 20'?

(22:20:04) Sandman_XI: 20

(22:21:12) Gizmo: Okay, so say I wanted to jump back and forth off of the alley walls to get up there, what kind of Acrobatics check are we talking?

(22:22:17) Sandman_XI: the alley way is 10 feet wide, the cobblestone buildings are 20 feet high, so...

(22:22:31) Sandman_XI: hm...

(22:23:05) Gizmo: Might be a full round deal?

(22:23:12) ShaenTheBrain: What's Jack's STR bonus?

(22:23:18) ShaenTheBrain: This is simple math to figure out

(22:23:31) Gizmo: Only +2, but he can add 10

(22:23:42) Gizmo: feet to his distance via skill mastery Acrobatics.

(22:24:04) ShaenTheBrain: What's his Acrobat skill bonus?

(22:24:18) Gizmo: +15.

(22:24:39) Heritage: ok, it's late and I don't think i'm up in any threads

(22:24:52) Heritage: night, all!

(22:24:59) Gizmo: G'night!

(22:25:01) patcore: night

(22:25:07) ChatBot: Heritage logs out of the Chat.

(22:25:09) ChatBot: Heritage logs into the Chat.

(22:25:25) patcore: I think I'm going to do the same. good night.

(22:25:35) ChatBot: patcore logs out of the Chat.

(22:27:17) ChatBot: Heritage has been logged out (Timeout).

(22:27:30) ShaenTheBrain: OK, it doesn't explicitly say, but it looks to me as if a standing jump is a move action, and a running jump requires a move action to run and another move action to jump.

(22:28:23) ShaenTheBrain: And it only gives explicit figures for running/long, standing/long, and standing/high jumps. But since the standing/high is always 1/2 of the standing/long, we can deduce that the height achieved from a running/long jump is 1/2 the lateral distance jumped.

(22:29:26) ShaenTheBrain: So if he takes 10 on his Acrobat check, he can get 11ft high with a running jump and 5ft high with a standing jump. Extra Effort doubles those distances. So he could get to the top of the buildings if he burns a full action and uses E.E.

(22:29:58) ShaenTheBrain: That wasn't as easy to figure out as I thought it'd be.

(22:30:23) Gizmo: Woof. Well, it's not the best plan, but it does seem like what he'd do.

(22:30:58) Sandman_XI: how's this go mechanically? move action jump, move action 2 jump, move action 3 jump?

(22:31:14) ShaenTheBrain: Move Action to run, then Move Action to jump.

(22:31:50) Sandman_XI: does acrobatics cover jump? i thought it was a strength check

(22:32:16) Gizmo: Jumping: You can make an Acrobatics check to extend the distance you can jump (see Jumping, page 34) by 1 foot per point your check

exceeds DC 15.

(22:32:20) ShaenTheBrain: You can make a DC15 Acrobat check to add to your jump distance. Every point over 15 adds +1 to your effective STR bonus.

(22:32:20) Sandman_XI: if it does i'll give shaen an HP for being awesome >.>

(22:32:23) ShaenTheBrain: Damn. Too slow.

(22:32:48) Gizmo: Heh.

(22:32:51) ShaenTheBrain: These are the rules for doing it in one jump. There really aren't any rules for specifically doing what Gizmo is describing, unfortunately. There should be.

(22:33:14) Sandman_XI: i thought it would be the leaping power at first

(22:33:48) Sandman_XI: can you give someone an HP not in your thread?

(22:33:49) ShaenTheBrain: Lemme see if this can be done better with Climbing...

(22:33:50) Gizmo: Well, that'll work. IC-wise, I'm going to describe it as him springing back and forth off of the parallel walls a bit, but it's all the same OOC.

(22:34:24) Gizmo: Jack's got +10 Climbing, but no Skill Mastery.

(22:34:41) Sandman_XI: wall that are 10 feet apart, mind you

(22:34:54) Sandman_XI: so it'd have to go like

(22:36:14) Sandman_XI: start on one side of the alley, run to the other, jump back to the other side, surge to make another jump check (this time with no running start)

(22:36:39) ShaenTheBrain: The sides of urban buildings in an alley would be DC15, maybe DC20, depending on the GM's call. If the top is 20ft high, that's going to take an Accelerated Climb to hit in one round. Your speed is 30ft unless you've got movement powers, and 1/2 that is only 15ft. That's a -5 penalty. So Climb would take a full action with a DC20-25 Climb check.

(22:36:55) ShaenTheBrain: That's strictly climbing up one side of the alley.

(22:37:01) ShaenTheBrain: I have a recommendation, Sand.

(22:37:08) Sandman_XI: yes?

(22:38:24) ShaenTheBrain: He's got Acrobat +15 with Skill Mastery, and what he's describing would look really cool. Let him just take 10 to do it, as whatever action type best suits your needs, and give him a HP for the entertaining description.

(22:38:29) ShaenTheBrain: Handwave it, in other words.

(22:38:44) Sandman_XI: there you have it

(22:38:52) Sandman_XI: i will copy paste this

Alright! Now we're movin! Cyroa, yes you can has HP. And yes it was something like Gizmo said :PI have to question where the 9 damage rock is coming since Colt doesn't have Throwing Mastery.

The +9 is from +2 Strength, +5 power Attack, +2 Improvised Weapon.

IMPROVISED WEAPONS

Superheroes and villains often use the most unlikely objects as weapons.

Use the following guidelines for improvised weapons:

• Damage Bonus: The damage bonus of an improvised weapon is equal to the wielder’s Strength bonus. If the weapon’s Toughness exceeds your Strength, you get a damage bonus equal to the difference, up to +2 (like a club). If you inflict damage with an improvised weapon greater than its Toughness, the impact of the attack breaks it. At the GM’s option, tougher weapons may have their Toughness reduced by 1 for each successful attack, breaking when their Toughness drops below the wielder’s Strength bonus.

Jawohl!

Both thugs are down, so it's just the woman atop the alley to contend with (as far as we know).

Full round action to switch Pseudonatural Brain to Enhanced Wisdom. Wis is now 34/+12, Wil save +15, Medicine +15, Notice +17.

Free action to direct his minio- I mean, allies.

The rock chucking is sort of a weird thing, huh? I mean, he's throwing a rock straight up, but it can do way more damage than a hand gun? I see how it works within the rules, but it's still pretty nuts. I guess it's the Power Attack that really does it.

I haven't, actually, but I take your point!

I guess Power Attack on projectile weapons always seemed a little odd to me. Are you willing the bullet to hit harder? I can buy doing more damage because of your deadly aim, but that's practically the opposite of what Power Attack represents! There should be some sort of Aim related +DC/-Defense feat for ranged attacks. ...actually, there probably shouldn't be, but you see what I'm saying.

Just like everything else in this game, it's all about the descriptors. Don't think about power attack with ranged weapons as putting more force behind the blow, or willing the bullet to hit harder. Think about it like a form of a rogue's sneak attack as described in Dungeons and Dragons. Maybe you're hitting a more vital location so that it hurts more. The reason that your accuracy suffers from an attack like this is because hitting someone specifically on the pressure point on the inside of the thigh is a harder shot to pull off. Therefore your accuracy suffers.

There should be some sort of Aim related +DC/-Defense feat for ranged attacks. ...actually, there probably shouldn't be, but you see what I'm saying.

I think arguments could be made for both sides. In addition to my argument from above, I'll add this: Mutants and Masterminds is a game that stresses extreme flexibility. Characters that employ all manner of different tactics are almost always on equal footing (if they are built properly). Once you start taking options away from characters that use ranged attacks, people will stop playing them as often. Options and flexibility wins battles in this game, and if you take away those options, you cripple your chances. No one (I would hope) wants to play a character with no chance of winning. Oh you get the point.