Containment Means Never Having To Say KABOOM! (IC)

Dariusprime

"Ha! Take dat, Entropy!"

She's not shrinking... why isn't she shrinking?!

I am sure we can explore that later. At-

Yeah, I bet you'd like to "explore that" later!

... at the moment, there are far more pressing matters to attend to.

Yeah, I bet you'd like to press-

Be quiet!

"I am razher glad dat vorked!," the Doktor exclaimed as he zipped over to the domed (but not, for the moment, doomed) Fulcrum. "Mein next plan vould haff been to carry you a few miles up, avay from de city!"

Archeville examined the dome, murmuring to himself here and there as he looked over its function. The prismatic beams continued to wash over Fulcrum, though now they were not quite as intense.

"If you do not mind, I vould like to keep you dere for a minute or so more, to make sure you do not 'overload' again." He placed one hand against the side of the dome, near her, and looked at her with a mix of concern and wonder. "How are you feeling? Has dis ever happened to you before?"

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mona couldn't help but grin at the good doktor. He always seemed to have three or four plans simmering for any given problem. Nodding to his time line, she replied a bit more solemnly, "That's fine. I need a minute or two to cool down anyway." For emphasis she stretched her arms and back.

"No, nothing like this at all," she started while her overlarge hand pressed against the glass and Dr. Archeville's. Her look stated simply that she appreciated his concern a great deal, "In hindsight, I remember 'overloading' two other times. The boxing match was the second, and the other one was when fighting White Knight. Neither of those other times resulted in anything like this though. If Jack and Dark Star hadn't said anything, I wouldn't be aware of the problem at all. My conclusion is that either the duration of the exertion today or the progression of my power set resulted in this catastrophe."

"I've got to find a way to control this energy. I'm no good as a hero if I'm poisoning people or blowing up machinery when I strain myself. Since Jack is convinced I'm dangerous at rest, hell, even my cat could be in danger. Maybe something like that what happened with the laser? I don't know what about it hurt so much, but the sensation seemed like it cut right through my powers," the giantess concluded, still looking around the lab through colored filters.

Nodding to herself, she half joked, weakly at that, "Maybe we should postpone dinner. Wouldn't do you much good to sit next to a leaking reactor all night. Handsome man like you may want kids some day."

She'd be a great battery, if I could just contain and harness her-

Ha! That is it! That is it exactly!

What? I- ohhhh. Yeah, that would help her get a handle on her abilities, and prevent her from destroying my city.

The city.

Whatever.

Archeville kept one hand pressed against the dome while checking energy readings and manipulating controls with the other. "Jack seems razher concerned about you. Do you two know each other? I mean, from before de Fisticuffs Fundraiser?"

Oh! I'll be they're seeing each other!

Oh... yes, I am sure she would be more interested in him.

No, she wouldn't, not if you fight for her! Good lord, man, must I do everything?!

Now the lights had stopped, and a moment later the dome retracted back into the floor. The Doktor was grinning.

"I could create a suit for you dat vould help contain your energies, und help prevent another outburst like dat. It would take a bit of vork -- I vould haff to miniaturize de components from de nullifiers to fit into a vearable suit, und set it to only activate vhen your energy levels pass a certain point razher dan nullifying all your abilities. But, vell, I am razher clever at dings like dat," he added with a wink.

Standing up slowly, Mona smiled, nodded and gave him a sidelong (or side down) glance, "Yes, we do. He is very private about his identity, but I will say he is like the little brother I never had. Good guy. Really cares about people. I take it you know him?" Obviously a lot was being left unsaid.

Being free of confinement always felt good. Taking that philosophy to heart, Mona stretched a bit more and tested out her powers. Didn't want something to malfunction because of that nullifying field after all. Also gave her a way to nonchalantly examine the lab and the mess she had caused. Despite the recent chaos, she looked no worse for wear, but the same couldn't be said about the lab.

Among the interesting data points was that her superspeed control had improved. Her punches fired so quickly they were almost imperceptible. If that wasn't pleasing enough, she realized that mentally things seemed to be happening faster too. She stopped in mid punch and looked at Dr. Archeville, awareness dawning that her mind had just processed hundred of permutations over the subtext of his question.

Was he inquiring about Jack's identity, hero persona or connections within the superhero community? Her own contacts or friends? His potential liabilities or allies? Her own? An interest in meeting him? Her relationship status and availability? Past relationships?

"You certainly are, Dr. Archeville," she replied with a wink of her own, voice light with agreement and promise of, if not a cure, than containment. "That nullifying system is just genius." Her mind though raced over the concept of 'suit', and kept coming back to that ominous red monstrosity that Omega wore. Blinking away the sudden, glazed look, she asked carefully, "Is a suit really necessary? I mean, would it need to be full body, or could it be something like a vest or thin suit perhaps? Even bracers or a belt?"

"I haff vorked alongside Jack of All Blades a few times, und hope to do so again in de future. Very caring man, ja, dough he seems not to like being cared for himself."

He did not mention that Jack effectively worked for him on the Interceptors team. That could come later.

Archeville looked on as she went through her self-testing, impressed that the ordeal had actually altered and improved her abilities (particularly her speed).

Ooh, she is... limber.

Stop that, it is completely natural for her to... oh, my.

Ha! I knew you had a thing for her.

No, I mean look how fast she is going!

Eh, I prefer my women to take their time with me.

Ack! Stop talking!

The Doktor's smile broadened at her praise, but he soon waved her away, and chuckled a bit when Fulcrum voiced her concerns over the containment harness. "Do not vant anyding to interfere mit swimsuit season, eh?" He grinned; was he imagining what she'd look like in a swimsuit?

Mmmm....

Cut that out!

"Bracers, a vest, und leggings could be done mitout much difficulty; you are not constantly emitting more dan a trickle of Terminus energy, so nullifying field generators placed at key points on de body, generating a field of energy vhen needed, razher dan a full material suit, should be adequate. Bracelets, belt, und anklets... vell, now you are challenging me." He winked again, then zipped over to one of the workstations on the far side of the laboratory -- one not as badly affected by her outburst -- and retrieved a tablet computer. From the top projected an image of a blank humanoid figure, and as the Doktor doodled on the screen, assorted widgets and gewgaws appeared on the figure.

"In that regards, he is one of the most wonderfully stubborn people I've ever met. I don't think it is pride so much as privacy. I hope." She started to say more, but stopped and frowned for a moment.

Putting aside tangent thoughts, she turned to Dr. Archeville while hovering, "Seems like my powers improve more rapidly under duress. Whether I'm punching or being punched, that's when I build my fitness."

His reply to her concerns did elicit a touch of surprise and a knowing smirk. Cocking an eyebrow, she observed his shifting facial expressions and had a pretty good idea about what he was thinking. Two could play at that game.

"Well, at least its only a trickle," came the nonchalant reply as she watched the scientist, "I was worried about some armored suit like some villains sport. That outfit sounds much more pleasant."

Only once he was suitably focused did she move. One quiet breath later and the giantess vanished in a blur. Hands laced together in front of him, arms rested on his shoulders, she dropped her face down next to his and watched the work-in-progress. Glancing at him calmly, "You're an incorrigible flirt, you know that? Now were you daydreaming about me in a swimsuit, undressing me in your mind or both? No wonder you're a heart throb in the scientific community. Amazing what googling a name can turn up."

"Spontaneous manifestation of metahuman abilities is most common during times of stress, as are changes to existing abilities," the Doktor explained, "dat is vhy so many first-time manifestations occur during puberty or vhen exposed to some extreme hazard. Dere is consderable debate in de scientific community as to how dey interplay: how much of a Metahuman's abilities are due to de trigger, und how much are due to deir own unique genetic code? Do powers manifest at random, or is deir some sort of 'defense mechanism' at vork dat kicks in to generate de abilities needed to overcome de triggering catalyst? Und so on."

Archeville was almost done with the belt design when he found she had practically draped herself over him. Which, given that she was almost two and a half feet taller than him, was another display of her own limberness.

Looks like she's interested, too!

I, er, that is... yes. She does.

Ah, the things I could do with her. To her....

And that is why I am so very reluctant to pursue anything with her!

Pft, like you could stop me.

"I prefer 'rock star' to 'heart throb'," he replied in his best 'Bad Boy' tone, then turned in her arms to face her. His eyes locked to hers, and she could sense something quite primal there. "Und I vonder just vhat it vas you found vhen you 'Googled' me. Clips of me partying vildly at Oktoberest? Or racing in de Monaco Grand Prix? Or did dose clips of me at de nude bath house get loose again?"

I still do not know how you talked me into that.

Oh, don't be such a prude, people will think you're American.

Oh, yes, she was quite limber. Plus being able to fly helped too. Amazing the poses one could assume while hovering. Which of course she used to the fullest.

That primal look, yes, that look had a definite attraction to it. Then again those multicolored eyes shined with a similar, even hungry light. Indeed, if she were to vocalize it, the sensation was something beyond mere animal attraction but not what could be called outright love-at-first-sight.

She cocked an eyebrow at that last one and her body tensed slightly. "Oh really? I missed those sadly. Safe search must have been set. No matter." Of course mentally she noted to look that incident up.

After a moment of hesitation, she continued, voice husky, "I'll be honest and say that something about you is very attractive. I just can't place what exactly. I've been a wild child long enough to want a serious relationship. A woman can hope you'd be too, but if not than I can settle for some good memories and a bit of friendship." Her eyes softened a touch, and underneath the tigress a sense of longing simmered.

At some point her fingers began unconsciously stroking his hair. She smirked at that and pulled the good doktor into a passionate kiss. When finally letting him up for air, a whisper implied, "Better than any one-night stand."

"Is dat so?," he began in response to her words about his attractiveness. "Is it de regal nose und high cheeks? De aksent? Or perhaps it is mein-!"

Archeville was abruptly silenced when he found his lips and tongue otherwise engaged. And, Mona found, just as eager.

Yeeeaaah!

Oh my....

Maybe if you're a good little boy, I'll let you have a go at her.

What? No! NO! I am not going to let you screw this up, she will not be another notch on your bedpost!

You're flattering her; she -- like all the other frauen we've schtupped at Oktoberfest -- should consider me a notch on her bedpost.

No, you know what? I am going to pursue her, and see if I can have a serious relationship. I am tired of all the one-night stands you put us through, I want more! I want a connection!

So do I....

More than just that!

Oh, who're you kidding? Like she could hold your interest for long. Sure, she's new and shiny now, and I'll grant she seems a bit more insightful that most we deal with, but come on. She's nowhere close to our level of intellect, it'd be like trying to form a loving relationship with a dog. A brain-damaged dog. That's why you let me have my carnal ways with all those women -- you know those fleeting moments are the closest we'll ever get to a 'connection' with someone!

No. I am not letting you ruin this. And I need this, I need something real.

You want real? Get a kewpie doll and an electric blanket. Love's a blip on the monitor of involuntary human response, a hiccup of emotion when compared with envy, hatred, lust-

And I know the divide between us is getting worse with time, and it's only a matter of time before you get loose and do something terrible.

Oh? Like, what, blow up a hypertech laboratory? Like she almost did just now? That's something else to consider, boyo: that you'll always know that she can explode on you at any minute, tear a hole in the dimensions and cause untold devastation.

Yes, I am fully aware of that risk, but-

And that I might get bored one day and push her to do so!

I will not let you do that.

When she released him, he let out a long breath. "Oh my...."

"My... mein life has changed over de past few months," he began. "I used to be content in puttering on whatever struck mein fancy, tackling vhatever problems presented demselves to me. A fire here, a bank robbery dere, an innovative surgical procedure here, an extraterrestrial incursion dere.... but, mit mein company, mit ArcheTech, I have a chance to truly make de vorld a better place, to bring all humanity forvard. I am finally tackling some of de Big Picture, root problems... und dis change in vhat I vork on, vhat I devote mein intellect to, brings mit it a change in vhat mein... mein heart und soul vant."

He reached up and caressed her cheek, "I am ready to move past tinkering on disparate projects, und to vork on someding long-term."

"I'd like that too," she replied softly, "I'd like that so much." She sighed and relaxed into his touch.

For a minute or so she focused entirely on him. The rush had her heart fluttering, but his presence felt so calming. She wasn't one to swoon. Still something about the gentleness made her melt and feel weak in the knees. Had so much time passed since this feeling?

"I...I hope we work this out. If you truly earn my trust, then you will have a love for all time. I will stand beside you forever and storm the gates of Hell itself for you." As she spoke, she knelt down to eye level, her voice growing serious and gaze fierce.

"Prove me right. Please." And she softly kissed him again.

"I vould like dat," he breathed, "in part because doing so vould prove me right on someding. Und I do like to be proven right on dings," he added with a smirk.

"Und I do not haff to dink very hard to imagine vhat vould happen," he continued, looking around the trashed laboratory, but still grinning, "vere I to break your trust."

I give it a week. Maaaybe two, if you're determined to carry out this charade.

Not listening.

"Vhich means," he said as he exercised a Herculean effort of will and pulled himself out of her embrace, "dat ve should take dings slowly, not rush in. After all, ve haff only just met, und vhile dere is an undeniable... someding dere betveen us, dere is still much ve do not know about de other. Vell, much I do not know about you; I can only guess at vhat you found vhen you Googled me. Being as famous -- or infamous -- as I am, I know dere is a lot, not all of vhich is flattering. Or true. The latter dings I try to erase, but..."

He forced himself to stop before going off on a tangent. He did make a note to do some Googling of his own, though.

He hovered up a few feet, taking her by the hand as he went to help her up from her kneeling position; now she was standing, but he was still eye level with her. "Of course, not all de unflattering stuff is untrue; I do haff mein fair share of faults. More dan a fair share, some vould say."

Oh, trying to warn her of me, hrm?

In a roundabout way, yes.

"But... I am now definitely looking forvard to our dinner-date later."

When he pulled away, she didn't resist. In fact the knowing look on her face suggested she had been waiting for this topic. She observed him carefully and noted the tone of his, well, confessions.

"I'm not vindictive. Usually." she began with a wink. Slowly collecting her thoughts, her words somber, "I agree completely. We really should get to know one another. Find out if we are really compatible. 'Odd couple' would be mild way of describing us. We are from very different worlds." She straightened his lab coat as she spoke.

"Be that as it may, we all have our faults. The point is to accept and overcome them. I know you know that all too well," She waved a hand dismissively, "People say all sorts of things. I'll admit some of the rumors gave me pause, but I'll go to the source for answers. Your past is your past. Ultimately we are only competing against ourselves anyway. We can help each other if you'll trust me, Viktor." A warm smile drove the point home.

"Nothing lasts forever." Something unspeakably primordial echoed in those words.

"Different vorlds, ja," he repeated softly, "but dat could vell mean ve vould compliment von another qvite vell. Each bringing to de ozher a new vay of seeing de vorld."

He placed his hands on hers as she adjusted his coat, and looked into her eyes again. That primal something she'd sensed was still there, but very muted now, replaced with compassion and a profound longing.

Aw, go ahead and whimper for her, to match those puppy dog eyes.

Oh, go find something else to focus on.

I will give her credit for pointing out why it won't work. Maybe I'll give her a lil' something more, too....

Do it and I'll sing Gilbert & Sullivan operas for several hours.

"Ah, now dere I dink ve haff our first disagreement," he said with a slightly playful tone as he floated over to one of the busted workstations and glanced over the components to see what could be salvaged. He never took his eyes off her, though. "Some dings do last forever. De Pyramids, de Great Vall of China... dere are Atlantean artifacts dat are thousands of years old dat look like dey vere forged just yesterday. Und I can name half a dozen Metahumans who are immortal, or nearly so. You could very vell be von of dem, if some of mein theories about your powers und body are right. Und... vell... dere is someding odd going on mit mein aging, because I look und feel about a decade younger dan I should. I do not dink I am an immortal -- dough I vould like to dink ArcheTech shall provide me a form of immortality -- but de few tests I haff run on meinself point to de fair possibility of me celebrating mein 175th birthday. Frustratingly, I do not know vhy dat is."

He paused and looked back to Fulcrum, "I haff never told anyvon else dat."

He spun around slowly in the air to get a full look at the lab. He let out a long breath, which -- to her surprise -- turned into a chuckle. "You know, I dink dis is de most impressive damage I haff ever seen done to a laboratory! It vill be closed for days. Fortunately, all de measurements und such I got vere stored in de central computer, down in de sub-basement, so none of de data ve collected here vas lost."

Mona cocked her head to the side and nodded her agreement. Powerful emotions, curiosity and desire chief among them, reflected back from her gaze. She squeezed his hands gently and only grudgingly released them.

A light-hearted smirk and chuckle followed his rebuttal. Her face barely registered a slight downturn, as she really wanted to believe him. Something though always tugged at her mind at those times. Visions of that red sky mixed with blackness. Intellectually his points were valid. On the time scale of human consciousness, the extinguishing of this universe was impossibly far away. Yet that relentless, sinking feeling still persisted in the deepest recesses of consciousness.

Sweeping those thoughts aside, she smiled warmly, a bit shocked not at the secret but that he entrusted it to her. "Thank you. That's wonderful, Viktor! Amazing and beautiful," came the excited reply. Saying his first name seemed to comfort her. "You'll discover why in time. I already know that much about you. Maybe that will be a focus for your new, long-term diligence. The answer will probably surprised you." Left unsaid was an assurance that this revelation would be held in trust.

"Well, thank you. I'm glad you backed up the data!" she laughed, walking over with the battered medical laser in hand. The bottom half of a wall screen dropped to the floor. "I really am sorry about this mess. If I had any idea...well, you know. If I can do anything to help, please don't hesitate." She finally tore her eyes away to examine the laser.

Despite the previous encounter with the thing, she looked determined to discover why she reacted so painfully. Nothing seemed particularly off about the gizmo. Well, other than the dents from its rodeo moment. Still an uncomfortable burning sensation throbbed through her hands.

"I suppose we are done for the day?" Disappointment echoed in her voice.

Archeville glided back towards her. "Oh, do not be so quick to apologize, liebchen," he said warmly. "If you had known, if you had had any idea dat dis vould happen," he waved at the destruction around them, "vell, den, you vould not haff come to me in de first place!"

He was within arm's reach again, and flashed a warm smile, "Und vhat a shame dat vould be!"

I think all this floating you're doing is reducing the flow of blood to your brain.

I have flown for hours at a time with this, it is perfectly safe.

Oh, then your lightheadedness must be because the blood is rushing somewhere else!

If that is true, it is your doing.

He glanced to where her gaze had fallen, to the medical laser he'd used on her earlier. He had glimpsed the odd glow coming from the Daka focusing crystal after he had used it on her, but at the time thought it was just a trick of the light; now he wondered if it was something more. He remembered her reaction to it when the housing had come undone and she was exposed directly to the Daka crystal inside, and how she'd tried to hide just how much pain it caused her. Could the crystal have absorbed some of the energies in her?

Ah-HA! A weakness!

It... could be. But I would rather not test that now.

I bet.

Quiet.

"Ve are done... in dis laboratory," he said with a wink. "Mein building has several ozher floors, und several laboratories on each floor," he proclaimed, holding his arms in a wide sweep, "so dere are many ozher places ve can go. Ve could even conduct a few tests outside! Of course, if de events thus far haff drained you, I did collect enough data to mull over for some time, so if you vanted to go home und rest... und ve could meet up later tonight, for dinner." He hovered closer, and straightened out her collar, "Or tomorrow night, give me some time to set up someding to really wow you."

Fulcrum looked up from her examination of the laser and smiled, "A real shame! Amazing how unpredictable life can be. The smallest details can mean so much." Seeing nothing unusual on the exterior, she attempted to open the casing without crushing the mechanism. "That being said, I'm not sure if I want to wait until Saturday. With your resources and cleverness, who knows what sort of mischief you could arrange." The tease was completed with a wink and kiss on the cheek.

"I feel energized actually. I'm up for whatever tests you want. Maybe that flight test you suggested earlier? That belt of yours better have warp speed. I may not be as strong as Atlas or as powerful as Dark Star, but I will still give you a run for your money." The subtext suggested an unsaid 'yet'.

Finally the housing latch popped and the daka focusing crystal made its appearance. Nothing happened. Well, nothing immediately. The highly polished lens glowed a rich ruby red. The burning sensation remained but certainly was tolerable. Gently unfastening the crystal, Fulcrum held it up like a gem to the light. "I don't remember it being that color. Pretty."

Almost imperceptibly the lens did change, reacting with her unseen emissions. The crystal darkened as swirls of burgundy subsumed the ruby tones. Her hand visibly grayed and paled starting at the fingertips holding the lens. Soon enough her stomach did that flip-flop, she frowned sickly and handed, no, almost threw the thing at Dr. Archeville.

Taking several steps back, she shook her hand and rubbed the circulation back. "Yup...that's the culprit. May have to add that to the contingency database." On the off hand he denied having such a list, she gave him a skeptical look, "I would. Lot of dangerously powerful people out there."

"Nasty stuff that lens. What sort of material is that?"

"I vould be very memorable mischief, liebchen," he replied with a sly smile.

I bet you feel energized.

Be silent!

"I actually did haff a 'varp drive' incorporated into mein belt," he chuckled. "But, it took up too much room, und I figured dat if I ever needed to travel into space, I could either call upon Dark Star, or use von of mein ozher conveyances. I mean, if I am going to travel to an alien planet, I may as vell arrive in style, ja? I can still move, dough," he added with a samba-shake of his hips.

Archeville peered over Fulcrum's shoulder when she got the housing on the medical laser removed, and made an inquisitive humming sound. "Hrrmmm... no, definitely not dat color," he circled around to hover opposite her, "Pretty, ja, but so are most poisonous plants und insects. Dis should be completely clear und- oop!"

Yes! This is a weakness! And a potential new source for who knows what sort of weaponry!

If anything is to be done with there, it is as an energy source! Now give me that!

The Doktor had caught the crystal in both hands, tossed it into the air a few times with his left, then snatched it mid-fall with his right.

"Daka Crystal," he said in a somewhat grave and ominous tone. "found only in von particular area of de African nation of Dakana, at de site of an ancient meteor crash. For de longest time it vas thought dey vere merely diamonds, dey have almost identical hardness und appearance, but dey are much, much more valuable. Daka Crystals can channel und direct many forms of energy, making dem a vital component in many different forms of technological eqvipment, und a vital commodity. De nation of Dakana has profited greatly from de sale of Daka Crystals, but also suffered many attacks from dose who vould try to seize dem for deir own."

Gimme that!

No! It is going in this radiation-shielded box for now.

He looked around the laboratory, and suddenly darted off to one worktable, retrieving a small box, into which he placed the red Daka Crystal. "Dere, dis should shield you from its effects, und us in case it decides to unleash de energy it absorbed from you." He wrote a hasty note on a Post-It and affixed it to the box before floating back to Fulcrum, biting his lower lip, "dis... dis could be a problem, you know. Given deir unique properties, mein company deals heavily in dem, danks in large part to Ace Danger und Danger International. I vould hate to dink you could not pop in every now und again for a quick visit out of fear dat you vould come into contact mit dese."

Aww, are your plans all going down the toilet because of your girlfriend's allergies?

I can make this work. I can.

Yeah, I- oh. Ohhhh hah hah hah hah HA!

What? What are you cackling about now?

She's gonna get weak in the knees if she's exposed to your Screwdriver! Ah hah hah hah hah hah!

"Den again," his tone shifted, as were his thoughts, "I am sure I could plan out some safe paths for you, vons vhere no Daka Crystal projects or transports even come near... perhaps set aside a corner vindow office, you could just fly up directly to de-"

A very mischievous look crossed his face, and suddenly he darted off, out into the hallway. "Catch me if you ca-an!"

"We really don't know how badly these things will affect me. I mean, this little one hurt, but had to be released from the laser casing, which isn't very thick. Plus I felt fine heading through the building earlier. On the other hand, if you deal with large quantities, then yes, I would have be extra careful." Balling her fist, she stared at her fingers and took a deep breath. The gray slowly subsided and her normal complexion returned.

"There. Daka crystals won't slow me down forever. Now before you try out your salsa moves, what does 'liebchen' mean?" By the time she pronounced the blasted word correctly, he already had a head start. "Hey! I don't have a warp drive!" she called before following. Instead of flying, she tensed up and tried speeding up all of her movements.

As she ran, a huge smile crossed her face. Yes, this had to be love. She hadn't felt this giddy in years.

"It means..." he called out, laughing merrily, "vell, dat is for you to find out!"

Man, she must be flipping your switches.

She does indeed.

Well, don't expect me to melt away like the Wicked Witch of the West!

Oh, perish the thought...

He was actually flying backwards, lab coat whipping in front of him, dodging this way and that through the corridors; she realized he must have not only committed the layout of the building to memory, but also the routines of most of the employees! (There were still a few near-collisions, though, since not everyone worked to a set schedule.) He had again pulled out a his "Electromagnetic Screwdriver" had it pointed at her, studying the readouts. "Ja, much faster dan de reports indicate... und, better yet, I detect no hint of any surges!"

How far will you chase me? How fast would you go? Is it me you are after, or just my celebrity?

Probably the celebrity. And the money. And my raw, unadulterated machismo.

... quiet, you...

Soon they were on the helipad, and the Doktor hovered a few dozen feet in the air. "Now dat ve are out of dat cramped office, care to show me how fast you can really go?"

"Ha! I can order a German-English Dictionary!" she yelled back as she zoomed through the hallways after him. The fact that he knew not only the building but his employees so well was most impressive. Made her wonder how well he would pick up and understand her habits.

Although the sensation was like running through water, she was really moving, limbs blurring and her silhouette taking on an insubstantial look. Unfortunately, she did not know the employees, and instead of a near miss, ran headlong into mail cart pushed by a young man. Incredibly, the contents of the cart were replaced and the man brushed off in a split second. She didn't even realize what happened until it was over!

"Well, good. No surges or tight hallways means I can really move. This is my element out here. When your belt overloads, I'll return the favor and carry you back," she teased as she stood on the helipad, hands on hips.

And with that, she was gone. The Screwdriver registered a power spike, although not a surge, and a trail gently ascending eastward. The device aside, the rush of air as she took off like a bolt of lightning was, you know, pretty obvious.

Thank you for flying Air Fulcrum. You are now cruising over the western Atlantic at 500 mph.

Archeville suddenly appeared under her, about 5 feet below, facing up with his hands behind his head, and flashing a killer smile.

You know the difference between you and me?

... what?

I make this look good.

Hrrmmm.

"Hello again, liebchen," he called out over the winds whipping around them. "Ve are doing about two-thirds de speed of sound; much faster und ve vill not be able to communicate mitout ozher means! Do you haff your communicator mit you?"

Fulcrum crossed her arms and smirked. Normally she flew with her arms to the side. The whole 'arms forward' gimmick just didn't, well, fly with her, even if Centurion popularized it. "Hello, Viktor. I do indeed have my comm." She waggled the little device in one hand.

"Catch me if you can!" followed by a rapid dive that would have pureed a pilot. She pulled up at the very last second, spraying water in a 1,000 mph wake. Her reinforced body took the forces without the slightest complaint. In fact she looked to be enjoying the ride.

At this velocity, the water looked as smooth as smoked glass. She hummed while waiting for him to catch up and mimicked his pose. Once he was within a short distance, the next phase of her plan sprang into action. She very gently slapped the water. Normally that would only produce a small splash, but at their velocity and with her strength, a curling curtain of water fifty feet high roared up. The paragon was long clear of the water, but she really wanted to test his reflexes.

"Oh, I will, liebchen," he said to himself, "I do not plan on letting you slip away."

Archeville did a half-barrel roll and assumed a more classic flier's position, arms by his sides but slightly flared out. By his estimates, he was at 40% top speed for his Belt, far from any danger of overloading it. Especially when he had a trick up his sleeve that could let him greatly exceed it normal operating parameters. But that would wait, if it was even needed.

What the heck's she doing now?

Soaring like a goddess.

No, you lovestruck loon, that!

Oh, she appears to be just dipping her- whoa!

His reflexes were better than average, but just because he could think and mentally react to things a hundred times faster than normal didn't mean he could physically react to them that quickly. However, his force field was already partly up, to protect him from wind damage and friction heat, and increasing the power was a trivially instinctual matter for him. When she glanced back Fulcrum saw a force field-shrouded Archeville-shaped torpedo cutting through the mini-tidal wave, splitting it into two waves which veered off before dissipating.

And now he was over her, looking down with that big silly grin on his face, and motioning her to put her comm to her ear.

Behind, under, and now on top? You are moving fast...

Gah!

"Very cute, liebchen," she heard through the device, "but can you do... dis?"

The Doktor suddenly turned 90 degrees and headed straight up, at 2,500 mph. Faster than an SR-71 Blackbird. If they kept on that course, they'd be touring the layers of the atmosphere in no time.

That gravity-defying belt was very impressive in its capabilities. Especially the 90 degree turn. Amazing!

Her competitive instinct kicked in and she slammed on her air brakes. Which entailed actually 'digging' her boots into the air before making a 90 turn of her own. She poured on the speed and quickly leveled off beside the Doktor. Fiddling with the comlink, she said, "I remember when hitting 500 mph was like sprinting at full speed. Now I can cruise at that speed for hours."

Tearing her eyes away from him, she looked around as the clouds became a white carpet beneath them. A contented look crossed her face, as if she'd stay up here forever if given half a chance. For quite a while, given the nature of their race, she flew silently to better soak in the crisp air. When she finally came back to reality, she smiled warmly and waved at him with her fingers.

She figured he had an ace up his sleeve to out race her, but for now she was going to show him everything she had. Again she vanished in an upward streak. The acceleration was incredible. In the blink of an eye, and a spike on his monitors, the giantess quadrupled her speed. That serene look lingered on her face even as the earth fell away from her.

"Vonderful, liebchen, vonderful" he replied, laughing, when she leveled with him. "Und if you are curious, ve are almost exceeding de airspeed of de fastest jet, de SR-71... Black... bird..."

Her contented look as she soared through the stratosphere mesmerized him. When she waved and zipped off at 10,000 mph, into the mesosphere, it took even his brain a moment to catch up.

Mmmm...

Snap out of it, you fool! She's left! What're you going to do about it?

Follow, of course!

And how will you be doing that? We're already at our maximum speed, and she's left us in the dust!

Oh, I have a few tricks up my sleeve.

Archeville adjusted the E.S., connecting unused portions of it to his Belt. Using the techno-wand as an auxiliary power source and gravitic processor, he was able to safely exceed the Belt's limits and catch up with Fulcrum.

"I believe ve haff found your new safe top speed," she heard him say in a very professional tone through her comm, "you energy readings are vhere de vere shortly before your... outburst."

His tone shifted back, "you know, liebchen, de ding about haffing me chase you..." she heard, right before she felt his hand brush against her leg, and saw him smiling up at her, "is daught I vill catch you."