Adventures for the Breck Girl

Heritage

Ok, I seriously need to get Gossamer into more threads, since she's still only in the one she was in before I shelved her for a while. I know Ecal, Sand and I have talked about starting a team with Arrowhawk, Wesley and Goss, but until that comes together I want to have the girl do something. Anyone up for some mischief?

Any thoughts on what kind of mischief? Whats her crime fighting motivation/goals.

To go all TV Tropey, she's kind of the Badass Bookwork/Cultured Badass type, with a touch of Fallen Princess (her father and three of her siblings disowned her). She didn't ask for her powers and was reluctant about going into full-on hero mode, but I really want her to live up to her full potential.

She's only met a handful of heroes who are still active here, most prominently Doc A and briefy Wesley and Atlas. I think she needs a thread that thrusts her into the world of heroism, where she gets to see she's actually good at it, and accepts the mantle, as it were. I also think she needs to meet Ace, because she's a classy broad.

Alright then what do you see as being her motivation to be a Hero once she starts? Prove herself to her family? With great power comes great responsibility? In it for the Kicks?

Any kind of villain that would be her real nemesis? Like arrow-hawks beef with gun toting mobsters, or a through a glass lightly version of Malices issue with other Power Suit users? Evil scientists? the poorly coifed? ;)

Reading up on her background and what not I'm having trouble seeing why she would be a hero as she's really pretty happy as a scientist and researcher, what would influence her to go out and put life and limb on the line? I think this is the central issue that led to her not being engaging for you in the past is why I ask.

As you well know its not powers that make a super hero but the will to go out and try and make a difference. She seems to need some kind of watershed event to push her into the hero life, and that event will shape what kind of hero she becomes so you should try and figure out where you want her to be so that you can chart the course to get there.

As you well know its not powers that make a super hero but the will to go out and try and make a difference. She seems to need some kind of watershed event to push her into the hero life, and that event will shape what kind of hero she becomes so you should try and figure out where you want her to be so that you can chart the course to get there.

This point really can't be emphasized enough. If I had to choose the most common mistake players make when submitting characters here, this would be it: Not giving their superhero sufficient motive to be a superhero in the first place. You have to ask yourself, "Why would this person use their powers to go out and fight crime? Why do they?"

There are basically two types of "supers" games: "People With Powers," and "Superheroes." This game is the latter. It is an important distinction.

Many, many good points brought up here!

Alright then what do you see as being her motivation to be a Hero once she starts? Prove herself to her family? With great power comes great responsibility? In it for the Kicks?

The way I see it, Gossamer needs to accept that her life has changed, like really changed; she needs to realize that she has so much more to offer than just working at ASTRO Labs, and that while she might not have asked for her powers, they do call out to be used. So yes, with great hair comes great responsibility. :D

Any kind of villain that would be her real nemesis? Like arrow-hawks beef with gun toting mobsters, or a through a glass lightly version of Malices issue with other Power Suit users? Evil scientists? the poorly coifed? ;)

Another good point, and strong motivation for me to do the questionaire for her (and finish up Grim's one of these days, too). I think people who use science selfishly and maliciously would be high on her list.

Reading up on her background and what not I'm having trouble seeing why she would be a hero as she's really pretty happy as a scientist and researcher, what would influence her to go out and put life and limb on the line? I think this is the central issue that led to her not being engaging for you in the past is why I ask.

I see Gossamer as being a modern version of a Silver Age heroine, if that makes any sense; not naive, but hopeful, and determined to actually make a differnence simply because she can. This more or less rules out her family being gunned down in an alley, or anything else that gritty; maybe something more dramatic and public, like a tour bus jumping the guard rail on a bridge or something of that ilk. In other words her motivation would be more altruistic rather than vengeful.

This point really can't be emphasized enough. If I had to choose the most common mistake players make when submitting characters here, this would be it: Not giving their superhero sufficient motive to be a superhero in the first place. You have to ask yourself, "Why would this person use their powers to go out and fight crime? Why do they?"

There are basically two types of "supers" games: "People With Powers," and "Superheroes." This game is the latter. It is an important distinction.

This is very well said, Shaen. For Grim, it's about the injustice of the world; she sees criminals as bullies preying on those who can't defend themselves, and a system run by the rich that keeps everyone else down. For Gossamer, it's almost diametrically opposite, more like noblesse oblige, the feeling that she has benefited so much from her upbringing that she has a duty to help the less fortunate. Heroism would be like a more active extension of the sort of charity work she's done her whole life, I suppose.