It Is Well With My Soul (IC)

Electra

Erin listened, cocking her head skeptically. "I guess that's true," she finally said, her voice caustic. "If just because it seems like that God, anyway, is blind to everyone, no matter whether they're good or bad. Or if not blind, maybe he just doesn't care very much any more." She shifted from foot to foot, still studying the angel as though he were a puzzle she really wanted to figure out. "Did He send you down here to Freedom City? What are you supposed to do here?"

James rolled his eyes. "Uh huh, yeah. Somehow I think you're viewpoint is a little biased. But whatever. Think what you like. I'll stick with my own thanks." He nodded at Erin. "I prefer it that way. Let his God and the other gods stay out of it. It's easier for people to live their lives and make their own decisions without celestial interference." He nodded in agreement with Erin. James was curious as to why the feathered fanatic was here as well.

"I was dispatched by the Archangel Gabriel, Viceroy of Heaven," said Freedom Angel to Wander, still sorting through his thoughts. "In the name of the Creator." Focusing on Hellion, he added patiently, "Despite your anger, even you recognize the truth in what I say. Righteousness does eventually prevail in the universe, though the arc of justice is exceedingly long. I am here to speed humanity's path towards the Glorious Appearing of Heaven on Earth."

"I know for a fact that's a damn lie," Erin spat, clasping her hands to fists behind her back. "The tendency of the universe is toward entropy, and the only thing holding it back anywhere is people. Not God, and not angels. And when people fail, God couldn't care less. Why did you come here, anyway, if you are who you say? Why aren't you in Haiti, or Bangladesh or Somalia, someplace where there are a lot more people God is ignoring?" she challenged.

James scoffed openly. "Wow, you really like to load up on the crap, don't you," he said rhetorically. "Truth? Truth as you see it maybe. Certainly not of the universe. This nor any other. She's right. We know for a fact righteousness doesn't prevail. That good doesn't always win out. Your God might care; he might not. But it's up to people do do things for themselves. Not wait around for this god or that to get involved." He nodded in agreement with Erin again. "Plus, the whole 'heaven on Earth' thing? Some cultures think that might be a sign of 'the end' and all that. Some do, some don't," he shrugged. "Either way, the lady makes some good points."

"It would mean an end," said Heyzel evenly. "An end to injustice, intolerance, and hatred. A world where humanity's full potential has been realized, and one where the law is to love thy neighbor as thyself. If you object to that," he went on, looking from Hellion to Wander, "then I'm sorry for you. I hope I can show you the glories of the true path." He turned and looked levelly at Hellion. "Because that path is for thee, as well, son of Paymon, son of the Prophets. Reject me all you want; I am but a symbol. Thou art already walking the true path whether thee believe it or not."

To Wander, he added, "Mine mission is global. I've started in Freedom City because there are people in need here, who suffer in the midst of plenty-" He gave Hellion, in his fine clothes, a sharp look at that, before turning back to Wander. "and who need my help, even in a city full of mortals with great power. When I've learned all I can, and done what I can for the people here, I will move on elsewhere. I am not bound to one place, even one that has embraced me so fully as this church."

For a moment, Erin's entire body tensed as though she were preparing to jump into a fight. She reached for her bat automatically, but of course it wasn't there, not on her street clothes. They hadn't come to fight. She made herself straighten and looked the angel in the eye. "I've seen the end of the world," she told him spitefully. "And maybe there's no anger or injustice, but there sure as hell isn't any reaching of potential or brotherly love. It's just empty, just nothing, after all the millions of people who were begging God to save them were all dead. If there is a God, then your sadist God let six billion people die on my world and did nothing to stop it. I hope you're just some voice-hearing crazy with wings."

Sick to her stomach, Erin didn't wait around to hear whatever the "angel" had to say next. With a half-apologetic look at James, she turned and leapt into the sky, landing on the roof of the nearest building and heading back towards the school. If she stayed, she was sure to do something that would only get her in trouble.

James rolled his eyes. "Are all angels are like you? Completely moronic? People are not pure and good. Humanity is flawed. A place like your thinking isn't possible for mortals. Nor would I really want it to be. Sure it'd be nice, but boring. Life is about overcoming those flaws. There are things that suck pretty bad about this world. But that's life. Overcoming those hurdles. Not having everything be hunky-dory." He glared at the angel for a long moment, very ticked. Luckily he was more used to being angry and not giving in to it than some. "Don't say his name again. Ever. Or I'll show you some of those wonderful flaws I was just talking about. My path is my own. And it certainly doesn't have to do with walking down your ridiculously fanatical one." He glanced upwards, following Erin's path. "Don't be stupid. Don't follow. This conversation has gone on far too long for one night I think. I'm sure we'll meet again. Unfortunately." The angel really did tick him off at some instinctual level, not that it needed any help.

He vanished with a thought, reappearing a dozen feet from Erin. Startling her would be a bad thing. "Hey. You ok?" He took a few steps towards her as he asked. Stupid question since he knew she wasn't. He knew she was from a dead world. Had seen it die. He didn't know the specifics, those didn't particularly matter. Seeing everyone and everything die around you was not good for you obviously.

Erin had made pretty good progress getting back towards the school by the time James caught up with her. She paused when he spoke, turning from the leap she'd been about to make. "I'm okay," she replied, though the words weren't exactly convincing. "It was dumb to come out here tonight, I don't know what I was trying to prove. I guess maybe if he was just some clown with wings and a tinsel halo, it would've made me feel better." She shrugged. "It's just I used to believe all that stuff, you know? Like God keeps an eye on things and makes sure they turn out how they're supposed to if you pray hard enough and do what you're supposed to. But it wasn't true."

James sighed. "Yeah, wasn't the best plan we've ever had." He shrugged. "Well, as much as this pains me, something Tweety said or believes in has a valid point. Faith is important. Believing in something is important. Now I'm not saying the whole 'everything is planned due to the gods will' and all that is true. 'Cause that would mean the gods are just letting everyone suffering because they want them to. Or that people deserved all the bad stuff that happens. That would make them no better than my...then hell. That I just can't accept."

He frowned. "We know for a fact that hell exists. And the corollary, that heaven exists. Someone, many actually, rules the various hells. Someone must do the same for heaven/heavens. Now I don't think there's any grand plan and that the god or gods have it laid out. That would just suck." He stared off at the city lights for a minute. "Its something I've thought about too; hard not too. Not sure I came up with an answer. But I think it's up to us to get the 'job' done. Or maybe that the gods work through us, not interfering. There are some cultures that believe we carry the 'divine spark' within us and in a way we are an extension of that. Or that saying 'god helps those who help themselves'? Not sure I buy those either but they are certainly a better way of looking at things than the way that fanatical angel does." He mumbled to himself, "I hate fanatics. Angels too apparently."

Erin watched him, folding her arms and leaning against the hollow metal shell of a rooftop HVAC unit. "Just because there's hell doesn't mean there has to be heaven," she replied quietly. "Or that a devil means there's a god. It's a lot easier to have a devil, someone who messes things up and makes people want to do bad things and tortures them for fun. I don't know if it even makes sense to think there's someone or more than one someones who are all powerful and use that power to make sure things go well, or that good people are rewarded. Why would they even bother, and then make it seem like no one is intervening, and not letting anyone be sure of what happens when they die? I mean, what would be the point?"

She turned her head up and looked at the sky, spotting the couple of stars visible through clouds and light pollution. "I guess I hoped he would be able to explain things, not just, I dunno, try and score points off you. Maybe he doesn't know either. He doesn't seem to know much about the way things work on Earth."

He sighed. "I wish I knew the answers. I really do. But despite the various deities out there, none have offered any that I'm aware of. Or even if the various 'gods' are just ridiculously powerful beings, not gods at all." He shrugged. "Maybe it's one of those mysteries man isn't meant to learn in his life or something. The angel certainly isn't going to accept anything but the doctrine from his faith; fanatic and all. It comes down to faith I guess. I can respect those that have it, to a point. I just don't have any myself," he said.

"I hate mysteries," Erin replied, mustering a half-convincing smile. "Why can't everything just make sense? I guess that's the good thing about being an atheist, at least it's easy." She took a deep breath and smoothed the last of her composure back into place as best she could. "Anyway, at least we can say now that we went and checked out what he's selling. We probably still have enough time for some videogames if we go back now."

Hours later, Heyzel sat alone in the darkened church basement. He'd busied himself with productive work, baking pies and cakes for the sale the next day, but now the kitchen was quiet and he was alone in the house of worship. He'd been thoroughly unimpressed by the cambion's theological critiques; the unfortunate young man's ravings holding about as much water as a drowning man's bitter rejection of rope and ladder. And yet his soul is still aimed on the path of right. I could see it in his eyes, past all the adolescent anger and hate. A contradiction, surely, but he'd encountered plenty of those on Earth.

The girl's anger, though, that had been something more potent. I wish she'd stayed. He'd seen the truth in her pain, even as she'd fled in grief and rage. What did she see? Cautiously, he rose to his feet, folding his wings up behind him, and for the first time turned on the television in the church kitchen. Flipping it around, he eventually found what looked like the news channel. There'd been a big fire in northern New Jersey, one the Freedom League was rushing to help clean up.

He looked at a school, burning, and asked himself the questions that had been burning in his mind for days now.

Why did He leave us? Why didn't He give us better instructions? Why didn't my own people send me sooner?

He studied the fire on the television, light reflecting in his eyes, and made his decision. I'm here now. I have to do my job. And in a few moments he was out the window, flying fast, ready to make the world a better place.