Some sort of mix up (which a good half of Young Freedom blamed Next Gen's antics for), led to their time in the training room being taken up. With some grumbling, they'd headed out to the quad for team manuevers instead. Thus, they were arrayed on the field debating the merits of touch football versus capture the flag for training time. After some debate, capture the flag was decided on. With the gold team comprised of Hellion, Psyche, Wander, and Edge on the gold team and Zephyr, Breakdown, Phalanx, and Geckoman on the blue team.

Each one went off to hide their flag to the best of their ability and discuss tactics. As usual, Mark had left the rules confined to 'good sportsmanship' so really, anything went.

Psyche trailed after the other three after they'd hidden their flag, leaving it up to Mark to plot out the strategy while she scanned the quad for the other half of the team's and their scrap of blue.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"All right," said Mark, looking around at the others. He didn't really have any strategy in mind, but he figured he was supposed to say something here. "My idea is this. We send in Hellion and Psyche around the rear to scout things out. Since Hellion can bop around and teleport and stuff, and Psyche can make herself invisible. Wander, you go do something really obvious and get their attention. If we stick close enough together, I can stay close to the flag and tag anyone who gets near while making sure you guys do okay. All right?"

"Shouldn't we have Psyche guard the flag?" Erin pointed out, "since she can disappear and stay hidden and still keep track of everybody on the field? Hellion can be our midfielder and keep an eye out for anyone coming for the flag, or break forward to help with the capture. I'll do the feint, run straight down the field and keep them busy, and Mark, you make the concentrated effort to look for the flag. You're mostly likely to fall over it anyway. When you find it, Psyche can tell me and I'll help you get it back," she explained, outlining the strategy with her hands as she spoke.

James raised his eye at Mark and shook his head. "You maybe be the luckiest guy on the planet, but your tactics needs some work." He nodded at Erin. "Her plan is better. With the addendum, if they get close to Alex, I can 'port over and move her and the flag." He grinned. "This works. Shall we?" Mark and his good sportsmanship would keep things doable without powers making it impossible, even if James would have been tempted to normally. As always, this should be fun.

After Edge split the teams Phalanx joined his in finding a suitable place to hide the flag and quickly outline strategy. "Alright I should be able to find the flag as soon as we start," it didn't even occur to him to watch as the other team hid it in the first place, "I'll relay the info to Zephyr, she should be able to get to it quickest anyway, Geckoman and Breakdown one of you should be on defense since you can hide and probably tell if some one is sneaking up better than me or zephyr, the other should be ready to back up zephyr on her way back?" As far as strategies went it was pretty simple, also predictable but plans wasn't really Mikes thing he looked to his team to see if anyone else had a better plan.

"I can also hide the flag," Alex pointed out helpfully, "But it doesn't matter because their offense is gonna be Mike. He has his crazy x-ray vision now."

She headed back to the flag, floating over to it easily where she assumed the lotus position about four feet off the ground. "Okay, team, go get that flag!"

"Remember," Erin suggested helpfully to Alex, "love makes people do stupid things. You should ruthlessly exploit that if he comes for the flag." Laughing, she jogged down to the middle of the quad, scanning the field to see where their opponents had set up. She was at a disadvantage against opponents like Zephyr in an exercise that involved more running than fighting, but she was confident she could at least provide a good distraction and give Mark time to find the flag.

Faith had just finished with orientation. The teachers were so nice and helpful. They suggested she wonder around a bit to get herself acquainted with other students. It was obviously class time as no one was around in the halls and she didn't want to be rude by interrupting classes. The Main Quad looked nice as she saw it on the first run through this morning. She decided to go there until classes let out. She called Nicholas to tell him about ever, but it was apparent he was busy at the moment. Luckily she had a few imported manga to keep her company while she waited. Stepping out into the Main Quad, she quickly found out she was not alone.

After Edge split the teams Phalanx joined his in finding a suitable place to hide the flag and quickly outline strategy. "Alright I should be able to find the flag as soon as we start," it didn't even occur to him to watch as the other team hid it in the first place, "I'll relay the info to Zephyr, she should be able to get to it quickest anyway, Geckoman and Breakdown one of you should be on defense since you can hide and probably tell if some one is sneaking up better than me or zephyr, the other should be ready to back up zephyr on her way back?" As far as strategies went it was pretty simple, also predictable but plans wasn't really Mikes thing he looked to his team to see if anyone else had a better plan.

"See, this is why we shoulda played football. X-ray eyes make capture the flag easy. I reckon all we need to do it climb a tree so that they're slowed slightly while Zoe runs in and grabs it."

The plan seemingly resolved at least enough for his part Phalanx peered through the cover of the quad and slowly drifted up into the air for a better angle of attack if he needed to intercept Wander or one of the others. As soon as he spotted the oppositions flag he relayed the information to Zephyr and prepared to hold up Wanders charge across the midfield.

As soon as she was in the relative open he shot towards her at several times the speed of sound.

Wander cut close to the buildings that edged the Quad, ducking through bushes and jumping over porticos, anything to give her a little cover and keep her opponents busy. She saw Phalanx barreling towards her when she feinted into the open for a few moments, and immediately headed for the entrance to the administration building. It's broad staircase and wide railings would give cover and a place for her to mount a few acrobatic tricks of her own, if he'd close in tightly enough.

Just as she was approaching the steps, though, she saw the door open and someone walk outside, right into the path of the oncoming flier. "Look out!" she yelled, either to Mike or to the stranger, for all the good it was likely to do either of them.

Mark took in what was happened in an instant and, just as quickly, sprang into action. "Noooo!" He fired his swingline and moved, bounding across the field, as he threw his all into rescuing the strange girl who was about to be a bug on Mike's windshield! He swung down, swept her up in his arms, and with a Herculean effort swung up and onto the nearby rooftop in a daring manuever of derring-do! "Are you...okay?" he asked her, holding his gorgeous face just inches from hers.

'Time Out!' Alex's mental voice announced to everyone on the field, including the stranger. The tone in Seraphim's head was a sweet piping soprano, 'Student on the field.'

Alex unfolded her legs and floated up to snatch the flag for their side and tuck it into her belt before she flew over to land by Wander and Mike.

It all happened in an instant. Faith opened her book and pushed open the door. She heard the call for her to look out and saw the derelict flier rushing towards her. She froze and everything went slow motion watching the flying student. Not being able to move was going to get her splatted real quick, but then she was snatched away from Fate's jaws as a boy was kind enough to do the moving for her. She was at a loss for words. Well, she did had a few. "You saved my life," she said quietly with a blushing smile, "Thank you for that." Not a second after she said her piece a voice that was not the cute boy's (or maybe it was?) was in her head. "I'm sorry for interrupting," she said looking down sorrowfully.

As the student stepped out of the building Mike wrenched himself off of his trajectory at the last second narrowly avoiding slamming into Erin as he pulled out of his steep dive. He had known practice in the quad was a bad idea, how did mark manage to talk him into these things?

As Alex's mental call went out over the field he dropped to the ground at a more sedate pace looking around to see where mark and the girl had ended up.

Geckoman had already got into a position to guard the flag, sitting in a tree with a squirrel watching him inquisitively. "Go away," he grumbled. Then Psyche's voice echoed into his head. Goddammit, again? Why do people persist? We're not exactly subtle!? he thought back, climbing down and wandering over to join the group.

"Oh god, is Mark doing the cheesy derring-do again?" muttered Chris into Mike's ear as he arrived.

James had been 'mid-field', backing up Wander as the game started. This was going to be rather odd but fun. Of course things quickly went pear shaped. But at least they managed to stop before anyone got hurt. He 'ported over to the Mark and the new girl, standing easily on the roof.

"Wow, less than a minute before things went out the window. That a new record for us?" He smiled down at the girl, chuckling. "Hey there. You ok? Sorry about all that; we kind of had this weird game we were trying." He paused. "You must be new to the school? Welcome to Claremont. I'm James by the way." He tapped Mark on the shoulder. "Back up and give her some air man. A little space to recover and all that." He reached out a hand to help her up.

Erin felt the whoosh of air as Mike pulled up just shy of hitting her. She'd been distracted enough to forget to dodge, and was just as happy not to have been knocked halfway across the quad. In retrospect, it might have been wiser to stay away from the buildings, seeing as how they weren't in the simulator today. Well, live and learn. Looking up at the roof, she activated her communicator to call Mark. "You okay up there?"

Mark gazed deeply into the beautiful girl's eyes. "It's all right," he reassured her. "You just added danger. And danger is my middle name." This was how you were supposed to talk when you were with a pretty girl, he was pretty sure. He'd seen it on TV! "My name is Mark," he told her, great warmth in his voice. "What's yours?" he reached up and tapped his comm. "Everything's fine up here, Erin. Just fine."

Faith smiled reservedly to 'danger' as the second boy popped on the roof. Wow, another cute boy. Are they putting something in the water here? It all seemed like a dream. "I'm Faith," she said answering both of them. She was still taking in everything that happened and was still happening. Mark and James were ready to help her up. Awkward timing this was. She didn't know who to respond to at the moment. She knew this could either make or break her in one of those teenage decision deals. She exhaled and reached up to the one who saved her.

James nodded with a smile as Mark helped her out. He wasn't going to interfere in Mark's...intentions. He wasn't one to poach. Usually. Anyway...

"Pleased to meet you Faith. I'll see you both on the ground." He stepped off the edge, teleporting to the ground a few feet from Erin before he had fallen more than a few feet. "Yeah," he said to her. "She's ok. And Mark is...well, doing his 'smitten' thing. I think the game is done for now. Unless Mark is going to try and impress her of course," he said with chuckle and a grin.

After having agreed to Mike's plan, Eddie had gone off ranging in different sections of the field other than Zoe. That way they covered more ground.

Then Alex's voice shot through his head telling him of the stall in the game. "Dang it!"

After James teleported down onto the ground near Erin, Eddie also teleported in. "Well it looks like Mark is having a good time!" He said with a smile.

"Faith, eh?" Mark took her hand, boosting her up to her feet. He stood close, close enough that they were standing close together indeed. From there, he said, "Come on down and meet the rest of our team. We're called Young Freedom." He walked with her to the edge of the building and said, "Do you trust me? Because if you do, I can show you something cool." He smiled.

Erin raised an eyebrow, grinning a little at James' summation of the situation. "Maybe we should warn her," she suggested jokingly. "I can imagine a lot of ways for one of Mark's attempts to impress a girl to go really wrong... even if it would turn out all right in the end." She looked up at the roof speculatively, then shrugged. "Do you think they're coming down?" Spotting them on the edge of the roof, she took a couple of steps back.