[Tip] How do I get started playing here?

Barnum

How do I get started playing here?

I get that question a lot in my PM box, so I decided we need to beef up our game rules with some more tips. Here is what I have so far, but I'd love some input from the community. When this thread has run its course, I'll distill all the good advice and add it to the "How to Play" section of the Game Rules.

How to Play:

FC:PbP is one big game because of the continuity of players from one scenario/story to another, and because we will periodically be running expansive campaigns that will affect all of the characters.

Players here will engage in basically 3 kinds of activities:

1. GM Led Threads: Our Refs and GMs will regularly be running "Campaigns." These are structured stories that will only involve a few of the characters at a time and may or may not be a small part of a much larger, board-wide story arc. You will find recruitment ads for campaigns posted in the Campaign Discussion forum.

2. Player/GM Led Threads: This board is intended to be a home for player-led threads. Players are free to start their own stories/threads in the various areas around Freedom City. These threads can be open (any hero or villain can join) or closed (only heroes can join, only villains, only certain heroes or villains, etc.). If, during the course of your thread, you need GM/Ref assistance, PM one. The Refs will already be keeping an eye on (and contributing to) these threads, but a PM stating your intentions never hurts.

3. Player vs. Player Threads: These are special kinds of player-led threads and are something that we hope will make FC:PbP unique and special. Players are free to fight each other in the various forums. Heroes can train with each other. Villains can train with each other. And, of course, heroes and villains can duke it out in Freedom City. No player will be forced to duel against his or her wishes, and if you plan on fighting a PvP match, PM a Ref beforehand so they can be on the lookout for the thread.

Some tips on getting started.

1. Look through the forums (fora?) for "open" threads (threads that don't have "full" in the title). Read through those threads to see if they are a good fit for your character. If you find something you like, post your interest in the OOC thread. I'm sure the other players in that thread will be happy to help find a way to write you in.

2. Read through the Character Bank, looking for a hero or villain that would be a good "match" for the story you'd like to tell first. PM that player, and together the two of you can work up a story starter. Remember, we're a good deal loose on continuity here. Just because a character is already involved in a thread doesn't mean s/he can't join you in another. Just set the thread either before or after the current story. Easy!

3. Make a post in the Character Discussion forum (the one you're in right now), giving some details on how you might like to start and see who responds. Maybe you can start with a showdown in the Wreck Room or the Arena. Your imagination is the only limit.

That's what comes to mind first. What say the rest of you?

I get that question a lot in my PM box, so I decided we need to beef up our game rules with some more tips. Here is what I have so far, but I'd love some input from the community. When this thread has run its course, I'll distill all the good advice and add it to the "How to Play" section of the Game Rules.

How to Play:

FC:PbP is one big game because of the continuity of players from one scenario/story to another, and because we will periodically be running expansive campaigns that will affect all of the characters.

1. GM Led Threads: Our Refs and GMs will regularly be running "Campaigns." These are structured stories that will only involve a few of the characters at a time and may or may not be a small part of a much larger, board-wide story arc. You will find recruitment ads for campaigns posted in the Campaign Discussion forum.

2. Player/GM Led Threads: This board is intended to be a home for player-led threads. Players are free to start their own stories/threads in the various areas around Freedom City. These threads can be open (any hero or villain can join) or closed (only heroes can join, only villains, only certain heroes or villains, etc.). If, during the course of your thread, you need GM/Ref assistance, PM one. The Refs will already be keeping an eye on (and contributing to) these threads, but a PM stating your intentions never hurts.

3. Player vs. Player Threads: These are special kinds of player-led threads and are something that we hope will make FC:PbP unique and special. Players are free to fight each other in the various forums. Heroes can train with each other. Villains can train with each other. And, of course, heroes and villains can duke it out in Freedom City. No player will be forced to duel against his or her wishes, and if you plan on fighting a PvP match, PM a Ref beforehand so they can be on the lookout for the thread.

1. Look through the forums (fora?) for "open" threads (threads that don't have "full" in the title). Read through those threads to see if they are a good fit for your character. If you find something you like, post your interest in the OOC thread. I'm sure the other players in that thread will be happy to help find a way to write you in.

2. Read through the Character Bank, looking for a hero or villain that would be a good "match" for the story you'd like to tell first. PM that player, and together the two of you can work up a story starter. Remember, we're a good deal loose on continuity here. Just because a character is already involved in a thread doesn't mean s/he can't join you in another. Just set the thread either before or after the current story. Easy!

3. Make a post in the Character Discussion forum (the one you're in right now), giving some details on how you might like to start and see who responds. Maybe you can start with a showdown in the Wreck Room or the Arena. Your imagination is the only limit.

How to Play: