One of These is Not Like the Other (IC)

Cyroa

Ace answered almost immediately, "Taylor, good to hear from you. Hows the domestic life treating you?" he inquired nonchalantly as he went over his speech he was to give at a charity benefit that evening.

Picking up on the faint tremble in her voice, and her quickness of breath he shooed the servants from the room, asking with concern "Is everything alright?"

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack returned after a few moments with magic book in one hand and decadent silk sheets in another, tucking Stesha underneath the glossy black bedding with as much discretion as possible. He didn't bother Taylor while she was on the phone, instead pacing the room once Stesha was covered to begin activating the magical protections he'd had carved into the very walls. This was, at least in theory, a safe place.

"No." Taylor said baldly, wiping her hand off against the fabric of her costume. "There's an evil Dark Star and he killed Stesha. We'll need anyone you can think of who could help. Anyone who can hurt Dark Star. It's a short list."

She glanced up automatically as Jack started activating the wards, her fingertips covering the phone as she let Ace process that and murmured, "Am I risking going out to pick him up or are we giving directions?"

"If Ace is in Danger Manor, he's in one of the safest places in the city," said Jack not unreasonably. "If you go out there and pick him up, you'll be as safe there as you are here. And if Bad Dark Star's tracking you, luring him off in the wrong direction isn't a bad idea." There, he hadn't expressed a single paranoid thought about Ace.

Ace paused at that, it was quite a bit of news delivered rather bluntly, "Ahhh, Evil Dark Star as in he's gone mad or as in there is another one?" He finally asked. He was tempted to inquire if Taylor was certain she had in the past had difficulties telling live from dead in the past but in the end if they had been attacked by a being of Dark Stars power the evidence was likely clear. That would be a matter best handled when he could see for himself what had happened.

"As for those capable of taking on Dark Star, the list is very limited, more-so with Archeville in orbit, We can't risk a transmission summoning him back though." Ace thought out loud into the phone. "I think I have just the man for the job, where should we meet?"

"Evil as in another Dark Star." Taylor responded into the phone, her voice still tight. "Call me and I'll pick the both of you up. Hurry."

She didn't bother with the niceties as she simply hung up on Ace. If Dark Star didn't know where she was, it wouldn't take long to figure it out. Taylor hugged herself for a moment, glancing down at her sticky leotard before she wished her costume back into the void. Back in the clothes she'd pulled on in the morning, Taylor waited impatiently for Jack to finish putting the wards up. When she knew she wouldn't interrupt the arcane ritual, she went back into his arms with a choked sob.

Ace hung up and took a deep breath, he only hoped he was right about Stesha and the Mankana. Right now however he hadn't time to concern himself with what ifs. If there was a being of Dark Stars ability with evil intentions they had little time.

He took the grand central staircase two steps at a time as he called for some specialized equipment he might need as he headed for the Garage and slid behind the wheel of the silver Aston Martin. He made some hurried calls to shore up his info on the young hero he hoped could help them with Dark Star.

The sleek sports car roared to life and sped onto the quiet streets of North Bay, he sped on his way arriving in record time in the West End neighborhood that was home to the irascible Jack Of All Blades. He swung the car smoothly into a small space in front of the Espadas residence and quickly mounted the stairs to the front door. Ringing the doorbell he waited with what patience he could muster.

"I got it!" came a muffled shout from inside. A moment later the door opened to reveal a pretty teenaged girl with a shoulder length ponytail of dusty brown hair. She stopped suddenly as she saw their visitor. "You're--! Wow. Uh, just a sec." Ellie Espadas ducked her head back inside and shouted. "Eric! Get your culo out here!" The girl turned back to Ace, placing a hand on her hip. "My brother has got such the man-crush on you."

"What? Who are you talking t- Ace?!" As the elder Espadas sibling rounded the corner, Ace had to give the swordsman credit. Without his bandanna mask and wig, Eric Espadas didn't look much like Jack of all Blades. It had taken more than a little investigative work of the immortal's part to track down the swashbuckler's civilian identity. After a moment of shock, Eric's expression hardened. "Ellie, get inside."

His sister snorted. "What, you do. You've got practically all of his books and movies. You're like one poster over the bed short of scrawling 'Mrs. Eric Danger' all over your notebooks."

"Ellie..."

She turned back to Ace, ignoring her brother. "Is it true you're... yknow." She raised a single eyebrow suggestively.

"Ellie! Inside! Now!" Eric hissed. Seeing the expression on his face, Ellie raised her hands in surrender and stepped back inside without a word. Her sibling gave Ace a dark look. "This had better be damn good, man. Not cool, showing up here."

Ace seemed nonplussed over Jacks upset. "If I had time to worry about your pretty little lie I assure you I would have. A dear friend of mine may already be dead so I don't and you'll have to accept my apology for whatever trouble it brings you." Ace stated plainly. "If you must, tell them you won that contest to spend a day with Ace Danger you entered when you were ten."

He quickly checked his watch and glanced nervously skywards. "In the meantime get your stuff, there's trouble that requires a man of your talents and we have very little time." Ace commanded flatly.

To his credit, Eric didn't wait for further explanation. Pausing only to explain to his mother that an emergency had come up back at the brownstone apartments, he was soon swinging gracefully out one of the home's second storey window and landing lightly in the yard. Doing his best to remain unseen, the swordsman hastily made his way to Ace's car. Getting into the Aston Martin, he turned to the immortal adventurer. "Alright, so if it was worth coming to get me, it's either a fencing thing or an energy thing, right? I'm guessing it's probably the second one, so what's the deal?"

The sports car roared to life as Ace sped away, "Primarily the later though it may well require the former." Ace explained, "There is a doppelganger of Dark Star that has arrived on earth recently, to the best of our knowledge it is as capable if not more so than the Dark Star we know." the car wove effortlessly through the traffic, Ace glanced to Jack to ensure the levity of his words sunk in, "It is also likely completely without morals." Ace's voice was hard as steel as he spoke.

The swordman's jaw hung open. He snapped it shut audibly. "Dark Star? Evil Dark Star. Cosmic guy, made of pure stellar energy, lousy sense of humour? But evil. This is what we're talking about. Seriously. Well... balls." Jack of all Blades rubbed the bridge of his nose and shut his eyes tightly. "Do you realize how bad that is? No, stupid question, of course you do, but I mean really realize? You remember at that boxing thing when Fulcrum went all Chernobyl and made me loose my lunch? Star's like that, only actually in control of all that power. He's like..." At a loss for words, the swashbuckler let out a loud breath and gesture emphatically with his hands. "Evil Dark Star. Dios. And he's already hurt someone?"

"We'll make him pay," Avenger promised Taylor, cool intensity in his voice. "No other innocents will be hurt today." He looked down at her, grief in his eyes to mirror hers. "I know it's hard, but we have to be ready. It's what Stesha would want. And our Derrick. We need to find him," he urged her quietly. "Find him and...tell him what needs to be done."

The Aston Martin raced through the quite North Bay streets heading for Danger manor, "I'm quiet aware of the difficulties this presents. He is powerful and deadly dangerous, he also knows enough about our Dark Star to target those close to him. But he is not invulnerable, he is susceptible to energy attacks and hopefully shares some of our Dark Stars tendencies towards direct action."

The car swung up the drive to Danger manor itself, and came to a stop at the base of the steps, a diminutive dark skinned servant presented phone on a long cord to Ace who quickly dialed a number. When the other end picked up he spoke quickly, "We're at the manor ready for pick up, I'm sticking to land lines as he should have more difficulty intercepting those."

Dark Star

He knew his cage quite well. He'd been trapped in something very similar to this a few months back. And just like that one, this was slowly siphoning his energy away. Nothing he could do allowed him to break that prison. It hadn't been perfect though. He'd been able to force himself into a human form to stop that, despite the pain it had caused. Of course, he'd tried that immediately. But unfortunately this prison was a bit more effective. Something prevented him and continued to slowly drain his energies. To what, he didn't know since this didn't have the black hole cannon concept behind it. Nevertheless, he was being drained. Not that he noticed really...

Trapped thousands of miles away, nevertheless it was as if Dark Star was right there. He was seeing and experiencing everything that happened in the store since the Other was keeping their link wide open, to help increase the amount of suffering Dark Star would experience no doubt. He railed threw his energy against his prison in protest, trying to do anything to get out, to warn them. He had faith that Taylor could defeat him. She was powerful, wielding impressive magical forces. She could hurt him. He never really thought of himself in terms of 'combat' really since he worked so hard to avoid it. He believed, honestly, that those two formidable ladies could handle the Other. That everything would work out.

And then...

It felt like someone ripped the core of him right out. There was just this shocking hole inside him. It was odd how abstract he felt. Like he was looking down at a stranger who screamed and lashed out without thought. He couldn't be seeing Stesha's broken body, a great big hole blasted in her. It just wasn't possible. It wasn't.

But it was. A small part of him that wasn't quite dead inside felt a little joy as Taylor grabbed Stesha's...body and escaped. There was no doubt though. There couldn't be. She was dead. And so was Derrick. Derrick only existed for her. And Dark Star...he was dying too. What was left was far from the same. There was not much left anyway.

He was going to leave this galaxy. There was nothing left for him when everything would remind him of the perfect existence he had had for a few short months. But first he was going to kill the Other...

Energy, right, okay," Jack of all Blades said, composing himself. "Man, it's always energy. Is there like a specific type, or...?" As he asked the question they arrived at Danger Manor and Ace's manner made it clear he had no time for chit chat. "Uh, hi." Jack greeted the servant. "How you doing?" He rubbed the back of his neck while the immortal gentleman conversed on the phone. The swordsman raised an eyebrow. "Pick up? If we're in such a hurry wouldn't it have been faster to just drive straight to wherever we're headed?"

"Oh, poor Derrick," Taylor whispered brokenly. As the phone rang, she picked it up and listened to Ace's voice before she teleported to them, leaving the phone in mid air. Jack was quick enough to catch it and if he didn't, it really didn't matter in the face of everything else that day. What was one broken handset.

Ace's phone call was responded to as a young woman teleported into the manor. Petite, she wasn't much over five feet if at all. Dressed in a black maternity top and jeans, she didn't look a thing like the interdimensional guardian Phantom. She blinked into existance as Jack finished talking and said, "The car is fast-"

Taylor placed a hand on either of them and they were pulled through the endless dark of the Void before emerging in the arcane library in the apartment, sigils glittering warningly on the floor and walls, "-but not that fast."

the Other Dark Star

Ah, he did so love to ruin someone's...existence. He had really wanted to take Taylor out in the first blast, given that she was really the only threat he faced currently. But killing Stesha was a wonderful start too. The anguish he felt from the other Dark Star showed how much the idiot cared for the pathetic fleshbag. And the fool lashing out and cutting loose with his powers just made the siphoning processes that much easier.

"Idiot," he said in response to Stesha's self-sacrifice even as he gathered the energy to launch another blast. Before he could however, Taylor blinked over to the corpse and disappeared.

"Fool. I can track a signature across star systems. Finding you in a city won't be hard," he muttered to himself. He turned his attentions to expanded those senses. There! "Foolish woman, now let's finish..." He blinked in surprise as she suddenly vanished from his senses. "It must be that 'magic' thing," he muttered. "Hmm..."

He didn't roar or scream in frustration. He simply nodded to himself. There were several things that needed to be done in short order. She wasn't the only threat to him on this mudball. And his normal method for destroying the planet would leave him distracted and weakened, that would never due. Plus he needed to get back to start siphoning and absorbing the other Dark Star's energies. Not to mention a few other tasks. "Ah so much to do, so little time to do it," he said as he shot upwards through the roof.

Avenger stepped inside to greet the two men, though the circumstances didn't allow for much more than that. He'd moved Stesha's body to the floor, the black sheet draping her corpse providing her with some protection, figuring she wouldn't want to be on display on the desk for everyone to see. He gave Ace and the man he didn't know a curt nod; the circumstances were far, far too dire for any petty rivalries. "Our shields are up. Ace, do you have a way of contacting our Dark Star? The fact that we haven't seen him yet...concerns me."

Ace's eyes settled on the sheet draped corpse for a brief moment before he looked up to Taylor and Avenger. "This is Jack of All Blades," He said as introduction of his companion, "There are perhaps others who could aid our cause but contacting them would undoubtedly tip our hand." He explained. "I leave you to give what names you wish to him but he is trustworthy."

Glancing once more to Avenger he replied, "There is no means of contacting Dark Star that could not be intercepted and likely receive a spoofed reply." He sighed and looked once more at the corpse on the floor, "Additionally I don't think its beyond reason to assume that he knows at least some of what our Dark Star knew."

"Holy nertz!" Jack of all Blades choked out as a hand on his shoulder pulled him out of the world before dropping him back into it somewhere else entirely. Looking around he found himself in a library, the entire room bristling with a variety of mystical energies. They were easily over shadowed by those of the woman who had brought him there along with Ace, however. The plainly dressed pregnant woman flickered disconcertingly in and out of sight; the swashbuckler realized it was more than just visual concealment, as her energies ebbed and flowed with her. Had he not been looking right at her, Jack would have sworn she was traveling back and forth across vast distances.

He cleared his throat and straightened his greatcoat as he looked around. "Right, teleportation, duh. 'Cause, y'know, that's a thing I totally do all the time. I've got a little card, gets me 'port miles whenever I buy stuff." He saw the grim expressions of the other heroes and shrugged apologetically. "Sorry. Nervous joker. I'll just, yeah, I'll make with the quiet now."

As he shoved his hands in the pockets of his coat, a pale man with an aristocratic air entered, nodding briefly to the new arrivals. What Jack of all Blades noticed first, however, was that the the dark haired man wasn't really there. Blinking, the energy manipulator realized that, more accurately, he was visible to his energy awareness; he simply wasn't giving off any of the sensations Jack associated with human beings. No warm hum of body heat, no prickling of electrical impulses coursing through the nervous system. The fencer couldn't say just what their host was, but it certainly wasn't normal.

"I'm Phantom in costume, Taylor out of it, and this is my husband, Jack," Taylor gestured over her shoulder at him, "I think its safe to say that he knows some of Derrick's memories. He recognized me out of costume which isn't something his evil clone would know. There are no other Phantoms accross the cosmic coil and everyone who knows my secret identity is here on prime. I think we have to assume our Dark Star is comprimised. Hopefully, he still lives."

Her voice was measured and steady, despite the puffy eyes, with a core of steel behind it. "There are few who could successfully hurt Dark Star and everyone I know of who could is now in this room. I don't see a point in involving anyone else as he'll simply use them as collateral damage and weapons."

"This is one of the most heavily defended spots in the city," said Jack quietly. "The place is designed to attack targets that don't have a conventional body as such. Dark Star'll be fine even if I pump the air out, but the other defenses are likely to catch him. The other advantage is, this place is also one of the best protected spots in this part of the world. That's why we're meeting here," he added, "and not at Danger Manor, so he can't just drop a freaking oil tanker on us. We need to come up with a strategy that gets him here, inside these rooms."

"Hello!" Jack of all Blades waved as Ace introduced him. He blinked when Phantom revealed her own identity. "Oh! Grim's friend! Thanks for the consult on the, uh, y'know, 'fwoosh' thing." The swashbuckler vaguely mimed the ignition of a hellfire sword. He listened intently as the others outlined the situation in more detail. "Right, so. No pressure. Listen, I get that Star's like, a pal of yours or whatever," the fencer continued awkwardly, "but is there any real reason not to think that we're just dealing with Dar Star Classic, and he's taken a few too many comets to the cranium? I mean, cosmic stuff does my head in and his head is made of cosmic stuff."

Ace turned to Jack, "Phantom acts a dimensional guardian of sorts she confirmed that We are dealing with an extra dimensional Dark Star."

Addressing the group once more he inquired, "You say he was targeting you, Phantom?" he looked thoughtful for a moment, "It seems likely then that he would try such again, our best chance of luring him would then be with you." Ace begins absently patting his pockets as if looking for something mumbling slightly to himself as if working out a plan.