Christmas Vacation

Cyrith

As the bell rings at Eisner Middle School, the students in Mrs. Brennan's class cheer, for the sound of the bell means the sound of a week and a half of freedom for the 6th graders. Mrs. Brennan however had already left on Christmas vacation with her husband, so it is her aid who sends the children home that day.

"Have a happy Christmas everyone. And don't forget, you're outlines for your report on great inventions are due when ye get back. And remember, battlesuits don't count. There has to be more then one of them."

Whether her students heard her is doubtful, what with the excited chatter or Christmas plans, or just the desperate dash to leave behind school and learning for awhile. Addie smiles to herself as she packs up her papers and prepares to leave. She's staying in Freedom for the holiday. After all, as a new teacher she doesn't have the money to fly home. Or at least, that's what she would have you believe. In truth Addie, or more accurately her villainous alter ego Badb, could make the money she needs very quickly. But appearances are everything in her line of work, and so it is in the city she remains. Grimacing slightly Addie makes her way to the teachers lounge. A bunch of old hens who only ever talked work. The most competition she ever saw between any of them was over who had the kid with more childhood afflictions. Personally Addie had never had much trouble keeping students in line, but then she has the advantage of years of training with kids who make the worst of the children at Eisner look like downright angels. Stepping into the lounge she is greeted by the eyesore of a room decorated, if one was feeling generous enough to use that word, with what looked to be 4 rolls apiece of red and green crepe paper. The table had been covered with a red cloth, and that had been topped with very cheap fake snow, the kind that that sheds and gets into peoples food. Mrs. Andrews, her english teaching counterpart, beams upon seeing her enter.

"Oh, you came. Aren't the decorations lovely? I'm sure it's nothing like that big Freedom League shindig they're throwing tonight, but I bet we'll have more fun. So tell me, how was your first semester?"

Addie smiles and nods about the decorations, reflecting on the fact that she could probably have warranted herself an invite if she attacked Lady Liberty upon her return to Freedom. But at least this was she was free to fight, and didn't have to take orders from some near geriatric in a cape. "It was just grand Beth. I don't know why the others are always complainin' 'bout the children. Must come wit time."

Hours later and a thoroughly bored Addie finally manages to extract herself from the party and walk home. This vacation would be the perfect time to try and pick up some jobs. After letting herself into the one bedroom apartment she rents just a few blocks from school, Addie drops her bag and picks up a news paper, looking through the classifieds. It wasn't often she found something in them, but it never hurt to look.

As the bell rings at Eisner Middle School, the students in Mrs. Brennan's class cheer, for the sound of the bell means the sound of a week and a half of freedom for the 6th graders. Mrs. Brennan however had already left on Christmas vacation with her husband, so it is her aid who sends the children home that day.

"Have a happy Christmas everyone. And don't forget, you're outlines for your report on great inventions are due when ye get back. And remember, battlesuits don't count. There has to be more then one of them."

Whether her students heard her is doubtful, what with the excited chatter or Christmas plans, or just the desperate dash to leave behind school and learning for awhile. Addie smiles to herself as she packs up her papers and prepares to leave. She's staying in Freedom for the holiday. After all, as a new teacher she doesn't have the money to fly home. Or at least, that's what she would have you believe. In truth Addie, or more accurately her villainous alter ego Badb, could make the money she needs very quickly. But appearances are everything in her line of work, and so it is in the city she remains. Grimacing slightly Addie makes her way to the teachers lounge. A bunch of old hens who only ever talked work. The most competition she ever saw between any of them was over who had the kid with more childhood afflictions. Personally Addie had never had much trouble keeping students in line, but then she has the advantage of years of training with kids who make the worst of the children at Eisner look like downright angels. Stepping into the lounge she is greeted by the eyesore of a room decorated, if one was feeling generous enough to use that word, with what looked to be 4 rolls apiece of red and green crepe paper. The table had been covered with a red cloth, and that had been topped with very cheap fake snow, the kind that that sheds and gets into peoples food. Mrs. Andrews, her english teaching counterpart, beams upon seeing her enter.

"Oh, you came. Aren't the decorations lovely? I'm sure it's nothing like that big Freedom League shindig they're throwing tonight, but I bet we'll have more fun. So tell me, how was your first semester?"

Addie smiles and nods about the decorations, reflecting on the fact that she could probably have warranted herself an invite if she attacked Lady Liberty upon her return to Freedom. But at least this was she was free to fight, and didn't have to take orders from some near geriatric in a cape. "It was just grand Beth. I don't know why the others are always complainin' 'bout the children. Must come wit time."

Hours later and a thoroughly bored Addie finally manages to extract herself from the party and walk home. This vacation would be the perfect time to try and pick up some jobs. After letting herself into the one bedroom apartment she rents just a few blocks from school, Addie drops her bag and picks up a news paper, looking through the classifieds. It wasn't often she found something in them, but it never hurt to look.