Afternoon Delight (IC)

Moira woke up after a comfortable night's rest. It seemed all too comfortable when she noticed it was almost lunch time! She thought about where she would go. She hadn't been to Wintergreen. It was a small cafe in Lantern Hill. She'd been out that way a few days ago when she went to see the angel. Even though it turned into a circus after a while, she did meet someone. Well, she met many people, but one was on her mind: Mongrel Angel. Moira felt very happy around her, in more ways than one.

Reaching for her cellphone on her bedside table, Moira scrolled through the lengthy list of number. She had finally sorted the thing. Finding Mongrel Angel, she pressed the button to call her. Moira didn't know the song for the ringtone, but it sounded pretty. Mongrel Angel picked it out herself.

There'd been a fair bit on Alex's mind since the meeting in Saint Sebastian's. Foremost had been a certain red-haired lady, and now she's been slowly working up the nerve to call said beauty. Which annoyed her, she couldn't remember any time during at least a year that she'd have to spend time working up the nerve to call someone for social reasons. It was just a simple phone call, with a simple inquiry for a simple bit of time spent together. So why did it feel like she'd rather spend a week carting around a truck on her back?

Well, facing ones fears was something she'd been taught, so eventually she'd picked up the phone, dialed the number, and nearly pressed call. Just as she'd put the phone down for the umpteenth time it started ringing, with a particular ring-tone. Before her brain could throw up any objects her hand had snatched it back up again and pressed receive.

"Ah, um. Hello Moira, great to have you call. What's on your mind oh-beautiful-one?" That's it, try to smooth out any roughness of the initial few words. Butter works wonders for that. Don't let her catch on to how nervous you actually are.

Moira chuckled to herself. Mongrel Angel did know how to rebound. Then again, Moira was susceptible to flattery. Either way, it worked. She rolled to her side, propping herself up on one arm, and then greeted. "[divine]Hello yourself, honey,[/divine]" she said with a nice just waking up voice, "[divine]I've been thinking about you today. If you don't have any plans, how about we have lunch? My treat.[/divine]"

"Any plans I may have had are hereby canceled until further notice." Maenheld replied with a cheery note in her voice. Don't think, don't think, thinking ruins your responses right now. Keep it in automatic. "Well, since it's your treat it's your choice. Any particular place you have in mind, 'oh lady of the red hair'.

Moira sighed happily, Alex was nice with her words. Though she still didn't know if she could call her Alex. She introduced herself as Mongrel Angel and only referred to herself as such. Moira would have to determine that today. "[divine]Well, my dark angel,[/divine]" Moira flirtatiously replied, hoping she didn't insult Alex with that comment, "[divine]There's the small cafe in Lantern Hill. It's called Wintergreen. I've heard so much about it. They're a tea and pastries type place. It's really nice. So, what do you say to that, honey?[/divine]"

Right, keep it cool and automatic. She's obviously got a favourable impression of you, don't screw it up. "Sounds nearly as lovely as you, though that may just be your voice describing it." It was pretty clear from her voice that Alex hadn't taken offence at anything Moira had said thus far. "So I'll meet you there in, how long exactly?"

Moira pulled the phone away from her head to check the time. It was twenty minutes after ten. She at least wanted to be there before noon. The place might be really popular and have a massive lunch rush. Maybe they could get there if she hurried to get ready. "[divine]Hm,[/divine]" Moira thought out loud as she returned the phone back to her ear, "[divine]just give me a little bit to get ready. I'll be there in 30 minutes, if that. I promise I won't keep you waiting.[/divine]"

Thirty minutes at the most, so aim for twenty. I could make it in ten with a bit of luck. "Great, see you there then." After hanging up Alex let out a deep sigh of relief, now she just had to find something to wear herself, get a fix on just where Wintergreen was located, and then get at least a few moments before Moira to keep her from having to wait.

A few minutes semi-frantic activity saw her grab a change of clothes, and then another stow for later just in case. A winter-jacket was donned so as to not look to out of place, and a handy map was found and printed out. Then, she teleported off, a handy trick her mind. For one it let her be there well in time, and she didn't mind waiting in this instance.

Moira clicked the cellphone off and sat up. "[divine]OK,[/divine]" she thought out loud, "[divine]Got enough time for a shower and hopefully to look nice.[/divine]" The shower was quick. It wasn't the morning bath she was used to, but sometimes you make sacrifices. Especially for someone like this. Alex was so nice. Moira wanted to get to know her better. like more than physically. From what she saw the other day at the church, the dark angel was more than just a beauty. She knew interesting things, things they would have to talk about, as well as getting to know each other. After the shower was hygiene and deciding what to wear. After a few minutes of rummaging through the closet she found a cute dark scarlet silk wrap dress. Sometimes she wished she wasn't this picky, but in the end it worked.

When Moira finally got to Wintergreen, she found that Alex had already arrived. She felt bad for leaving the girl out in the cold. She greeted her with a friendly hug and a peck on the cheek. "[divine]Hey,[/divine]" Moira said cheerfully, "[divine]let's get inside where it's warm.[/divine]" Alex still had that feeling around her. An aura that Moira really couldn't place, but it was something good. Holding her hand, Moira lead her into the cafe.

The cold didn't bother Alex, which was certainly a good thing since she'd ended up spending twenty minutes or so waiting. She spent most of that reading, being on something of a history kick at the moment. It helped keep her mind of just who she was waiting to meet, and the numerous ways part of her screamed at her she could, would, screw up in.

She stowed her copy of 1491 the moment she saw Moira arrive, and a moment later felt severely underdressed. Moira's silk dress contrasted sharply with her own far more everyday outfit of jeans and a t-shirt under a winter jacket. Admittedly she did hope that the redhead would appreciate said t-shirt; as fresh as they got with a print of Heyzel with his great fluffy wings and caption 'For Great Feathery Justice'.

Moira's greeting hug and the friendly kiss that accompanied it set the dark lady's cheeks ablaze, though some decent self-control dampened those fires within moments she was still a little upset with herself for reacting like she did. It's got be 'cause she's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Yeah, that's it. Nothing overly wrong here. "Well, lead the way." She said with a smile on her lips, hiding whatever turmoil could be said to be found within her at the moment.

As the two walked in they were greeted by a concierge. "Greetings ladies," he said with a smile, "Welcome to Wintergreen." Moira was oblivious to the greeter's scanning, but Alex got the vibe that he was seemingly checking them something. He seemingly didn't mind Moira, but Alex knew he was sneering at her way-too-casual wear. Yet he took them in anyway. "Glad to have you with us today, come right this way." Leading them to a partly empty dining area he seated them near a private corner right in front of a picturesque window with the best view of the city. The waiter seated Moira first, then Alex. "Your appetizers will be here in a moment ladies," he bowed politely then left.

Moira seemed not to care about the prudish man, she had who she wanted. She held Alex's hand as they walked in and to the dining area, happy to be there with her. As they walked to the dining area, she whispered to Alex with an excited inflection, "[divine]This is going to be awesome, I just know it![/divine]" As they were seated, she silently encouraged Alex to have a look outside. It was really nice. When the man left, Moira sighed dreamily. "[divine]Wow, I didn't know it'd be this upscale,[/divine]" she whispered. "[divine]Though it wouldn't be anything without you here with me,[/divine]" she smiled.

It took Maenheld but a few moments of consideration to categorize the greeter as 'snotty little git' and as someone only really worth the time he spent providing service, at least in this context. And that was about as much mental effort as she was prepared to spare on him at the moment, there were after all more import individuals to pay attention to after all.

Moira's enthusiasm for the whole enterprise was tangible and easily rubbed off on Alex. And while she agreed that the view was indeed rather nice out the windows, it was playing second string to the one an arms reach away inside. "Well, nice to know I wasn't the only one." She replies in a low voice to the redhead's whisper. Her blush made a comeback, though it was quickly squashed, mostly, as the supernatural mongrel voiced an opinion of her own. "I'm flattered, and I concur oh lady of the ruby hair. It would have little meaning alone."

Moira nodded happily to hear Alex's hushed tone of voice. Was she being too proper with the whispering? Hopefully it wasn't off-putting to Alex. Moira spoke up a bit, "[divine]Yeah, thanks. I hope you like this place. If so, we can do it again.[/divine]" She smiled with a bit of concern. She hoped the next line wouldn't fudge up the moment, "[divine]So, I've been wanting to ask you this since I met you. Your real name isn't Mongrel Angel, is it? Do you wish to be called by it? People call me Divine, but people I know call me Moira.[/divine]" She smiled thankfully, "[divine]And other nice things.[/divine]" Of course she knew her name was Alex. Moira kept a very wide open network of people with information, she just didn't blab every bit of information she knew.

"Well, no. It's a name I assume back when I started in the hero business, as much a description as anything else. 'Civilian' I go by Alex Maenheld, sorry for not telling you last time. Allow me to make up for it by telling you that it isn't my full name. That's 'Alex Maenheld Ifraini Shahza Dhalzind-Laharen', a bit on the long side around here I realize, which is why tend keep it down."

"[divine]It's all very beautiful,[/divine]" Moira said assuring Alex. "[divine]I really shouldn't pry into your civilian life if you don't want me to,[/divine]" Moira sighed, "[divine]I know some people don't like that. People want to keep their secrets. So, shall I call you Mongrel Angel or Alex?[/divine]"

"Call me as you wish." Alex replied before elaborating in a somewhat cheerful voice. "I'm nearly six feet tall with purple hair, with or without wings I stand out a little. And I gave up on wearing a mask over a year ago. It's no big secret who I am privately." She sighed, "It's not like I've got any family I have to protect, or any boy or girl I've gone steady with during my stay."

Aw, poor girl. Moira wondered if she had lead Alex on. She wanted to comfort her, not 'go steady' with her. Moira smiled and reached out for Alex's hand again; she gently wrapped both of her hands around the angel's. She looked her in the eyes, with a bit of ease and content at the same time, "[divine]Alex, one day you'll have a family and someone to go steady with. You're young. I'm young.[/divine]" Moira leaned forward a bit and winked, "[divine]You and I have many things to do yet.[/divine]"

Wait, she took it as? Oh this is just so- Mirtful, pearly laughter bubbled up and dispelled just about any hint of melancholy on Alex's face or in her voice. "Oh dear, I didn't count on finding myself on the recieving end of one of those speeches." She took a moment to compose herself before continuing, the smile she now sported was deep and genuine.

"I'm not about to try and settle down for a fair while yet, sorry if I gave a misleading impression. I'm not even sure I can settle down at this point, not all of me is saintly and angelic after all." Here she winked and leaned forward herself and in a husky voice whispered. "I would love to show you some of that later if you'll allow me to 'oh-she-who-must-be-desired'." That's it, 'Ãlea iacta est' as the butcher of gaul put it.

• 3 weeks later...

Whew. That was a close call. She was seriously glad she didn't have to break someone's heart. Though losing Alex would break her heart also. A glimmer of anticipation crossed Moira's eyes, "[divine]Of course, I will be grateful to see all that you have to show me.[/divine]" She sat back up in her chair, else they would have to leave at that very moment. Alex had that effect on her. Moira wanted Alex in more ways that one. A friend and a confidant on top of all that carnal feelings she had for her. She hoped Alex felt the same way. "[divine]So, what have you been up to since Angel Day,[/divine]" Moira laughed lightly, remembering the crowd that gathered.

As if to not interrupt the conversation, the waiter arrived, working quietly and quickly. He attended to Alex first, his disdain for her style did not curb his professionalism. Piping hot tea in a teacup on a saucer was what she was served, as was Moira after her. A small pitcher of milk and a sugar bowl was delicately placed in the middle of the table. Finally, a decorated cart full of small delicacies and sweets was set just beside the table. "Bon apetit," the waiter said cheerfully with a bow and then he was off.

Aaand it's a winning throw. Alex's smile stayed much the same, though her eyes offered up a glimmer of their own in answer to the one she saw briefly crossing Moira's eyes. "It will be my pleasure."

"So, what have you been up to since Angel Day,"

"Well," She began, taking a sip of the tea. And then proceeded to add a slight bit of milk to it while she kept talking. "I spent a bit of time just thinking, and doing a little research actually. There was a lot of stuff that came up after all." Another sip of tea, a sugarcube taken, broken in half, and half-added. "Most of what I did was actually working myself up to calling you; first time in twenty years I've been nervous enough to dawdle." A small bit of glaced confectionery is selected, and given a somewhat more detailed examination while a slight blush ands further colour to her already dark cheeks.

"I went out and worked off a bit of frustration too, I was not all that at ease with my own troubles at just picking up the phone, selecting you number, and pressing call." Evidently the sweet example of the baker's arts is deemed sufficient, and a small bite is taken. "Ran into a couple of thugs down in the Fens, minor powered lugs who seemed rather surprised to be launched down the street. This guy called Bear-Knuckle jumped in and gave me a good fight before I lost my temper and blasted him into the pavement." The mention of the Circuit Maximus champion is surprisingly casual. "Anything special you got up to?"

Moira listened to Alex speak. Not wanting to interrupt her while she fixed her tea, she watched and waited. Afternoon tea was so relaxing sometimes. Especially when she had someone to share it with. She loved that cute little blush. If Moira knew Alex had been working up the nerve to call, she would have let her. Then again, if she did, she wouldn't have this moment.

Moira leaned forward to start fixing her tea, though she was stopped for a split second by the name Bear Knuckle. So the rumors were true, he WAS still active after twenty years. He must be immortal or something. Though the way Alex described it, he might be past his prime. Either way, she didn't want to meet the man in a dark alley. Two cubes of sugar, a little milk to flavor and she was set to stir. "[divine]Mine wasn't eventful as yours. I met with a few contacts. Learned some things about a few people. You gotta keep your ear to the ground these days. Stop for one moment and you're left behind.[/divine]" She smiled at Alex, "[divine]Though I'm sure you know a lot yourself.[/divine]"