Lyria / Lady Naga - Preliminary crunch

Nyrath

For the last thirty or so hour this lady has been haunting my mind, maybe now I've got the basic crunch 'kinda' worked out on her I can get some decent sleep.

Anyway, I'm curious as to whether or not any of you have any thoughts concerning said crunch. Given that she's got a lot more points-shaving done on her than I hoped I imagine there's something to be said.

Players Name: Nyrath

Power Level: 10

Trade-Offs: None

Unspent PP: 0

Characters Name: Lady Naga

Alternate Identity: Lyria Erectheus, ‘The Snake Witch’

Costs: Abilities (26) + Combat (20) + Saves (08) + Skills (13) + Feats (15) + Powers (74) - Drawbacks (06) = 150pp

Stats: 10+8-10+4+8+6 = 26pp

Str: 30*/20 (+10*/+5) [*Enhanced Strength]

Dex: 18 (+4)

Con: - (-)

Int: 14 (+2)

Wis: 18 (+4)

Cha: 16 (+3)

Combat: 12+8 = 20pp

Attack: +6 [+10 Melee] [+8 Blast & Snare]

Grapple: +20 [+21 with Tail]

Defence: +10 (+2 flat-footed) [4 Base +6 Dodge Focus]

Knockback: -5 [Toughness 10 / 2]

Initiative: +4

Saves: 0+2+6 = 8pp

Toughness: +10 (+0 Con, +10 Protection)

Fortitude: - (Immune)

Reflex: +6 (+4 Dex, +2)

Will: +10 (+4 Wis, +6)

Skills: 52r = 13pp

Acrobatics 4 (+8)

Bluff 4 (+7/+11*) [skill Mastery] [*Attractive]

Disguise 0 (+3/+13*) [*Morph]

Diplomacy 0 (+3/+7*) [*Attractive]

Intimidate 4 (+7)

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 4 (+6)

Languages 8 [base]

Notice 8 (+12) [skill Mastery]

Perform (Dance) 12 (+15)

Sense Motive 8 (+12) [skill Mastery]

Stealth 8 (+12) [skill Mastery]

Feats: 15pp

Attack Focus Melee 4

Attractive

Beginner’s Luck

Dodge Focus 6

Luck 2

Skill Mastery [bluff, Notice, Sense Motive, Stealth]

Powers: 1+2+7+7+5+30+7+1+9+1+2+2 = 73pp

Comprehend 2 [Animals] [Flaws: Limited to Snakes (-2)] [1pp]

Drain Constitution 2 (Blood Drain) [Extras: Linked Healing 1 [[Extras: Action: Standard, Affects Objects; Flaws: Objects only, Personal; Drawbacks: Requires Successful Drain Con]; Flaws: Requires Grapple] [2pp]

Drain Strength 8 (Weakness Venom) [Extras: Poison; Power Feats: Alternate Power 2, Slow Fade 1 [1/Minute]; Flaws: Requires Grapple, Unreliable (5 uses)] [7pp]

AP:Drain Dexterity 8 (Paralytic Venom) [Extras:Poison; Power Feats: Slow Fade 1 [1/Minute]; Flaws: Requires Grapple, Unreliable (5 uses)]

AP:Drain Wisdom 8 (Intoxicant Venom/Neurotoxin) [Extras:Poison; Power Feats: Slow Fade 1 [1/Minute]; Flaws: Requires Grapple, Unreliable (5 uses)]

Elongation 3 (Snake Tail) [Extras: Linked Enhanced Feat 3 [improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Pin], Linked Super Strength 1 [Flaws: Limited: Grapple Only]; Flaws: Permanent] [7pp]

Enhanced Strength 10 (Herculean Strength Enchantment) [Flaws: Duration: Sustained] [5pp]

Immunity 30 [Fortitude] (30pp)

Magic 4.5 [Array] Power Feats: Alternate Power 2; Drawbacks: Action: Standard (to change between powers)[-2pp], Power Loss: When unable to gesture and speak [-2pp] [7pp]

BP: Blast 8 (Necromancy) [Power Feats: Accurate; Flaws: Distracting]

AP: Teleport 3 [Extras: Accurate]

AP: Snare 8 (Earthen bindings) [Flaws: Distracting; Power Feats: Accurate; Reversible; Drawbacks: Target may not be more than 5 feet of the ground]

Morph 2 [Human Form] [Drawbacks: Action: Move] [1pp]

Protection 10 [Drawbacks: Noticeable (Scales)] [9pp]

Regeneration 1 [Recovery Bonus +1 (-4 due to lack of con)] [1pp]

Super-Movement 1 [slithering] [2pp]

Super-Senses 3 [Darkvision, Scent] [Drawbacks: Noticeable (Scent; Snake Tongue) [2pp]

Drawbacks: 3+3 = 0pp

Weakness (dependent on blood, must drink 1 Con point worth of blood per night or suffer a cumulative -1 drain on all ability scores and will 'starve' to death after 10 nights; Very Common, Major; -3 points)

Weakness (Holy Symbols, dazed for one round by losing an opposed Charisma check; Common, Moderate; -3pp)

DC Block:

Unarmed --- 25/Toughness --- Bruised, Staged

Blast 8 --- 23/Toughness --- Bruised, Staged

Blood Drain --- 12/Fortitude --- Drain Constitution, Proportional

Snare 8 --- 18/Reflex --- Ensnare, Staged

Intoxicant Venom/Neurotoxin --- 18/Fortitude --- Drain Wisdom, Proportional

Paralytic Venom --- 18/Fortitude --- Drain Dexterity, Proportional

Weakness Venom --- 18/Fortitude --- Drain Strength, Proportional

Yea she's right on the edge of the ratio of base attack/def to feat based attack/def but is within the acceptable range so that's not too bad.

Elongation gives +1 to grapple per rank so her grapple score with tail being used is 24. Also you could just get another rank of elongation instead of the limited super strength.

The real potential sticking point I see is the vampire portion. The con drain with the heal is mostly ok but I'm uncertain about objects only on a personal healing effect for a construct. Its not really a flaw under those circumstances as it will always be able to affect her and can only ever effect her anyway. Usually vampires have a Requires Blood flaw on their Regen as they don't really heal naturally.

If you can morph away the scales and still have the Protection I'm not sure its a valid drawback.

Thats what I see on my first run through.

Missed the bit on Elongation boosting her Grapple, though she probably shouldn't take another rank. I can't see her with as much as fifty feet of tail available to lash out with, though I guess I could self impose a limit at thirty. Oh, and I just realised I forgot to flaw it so it's only the tail that's elongated.

I've done a bit more work on her since posting this though so a few things have been remedied, like the bit with Objects Only on Healing, though looking back at I realise it was there simply to offset the cost of Affects Objects, which might be considered necessary, and then again might not. As for Requires Blood flaw on Regen, that'd mean they have to keep drinking blood the entire time they're healing if one interprets the rules literally. Lyria imbued herself with vampire traits, so she doesn't work quite as ordinary ones who've been turned do.

I'll see about shaving a point somewhere and removing Noticeable on Protection.

As for Feat-Based Attack I recon Avenger should be looked at, what with him having 9 ranks of Attack Focus Melee.

Yea there are probably several characters that should be looked at ;) Its a general guideline we try to use of keeping it to approximately half of your main attack/defense coming from base. This is pretty well kept too on most characters particularly for initial approvals less so on char-edits. Yours is fine as is.

The requires blood thing was just a suggestion of how alot of vamps are built. I believe that since she is a construct she requires effects objects to be healed by the effect.

When I first looked at the elongation I assumed the grapple only SS was to keep the length down but then I saw the grapple score. Either way works fine. I'm not sure if the tail needs to be an extra limb or not though if it is that can replace improved grapple. Extra non-manipulatory limbs confuse me to be honest.

And since it replaces her legs I wonder too, though when I think about it having it count as an Additional Limb is actually better than Improved Grapple since it gives a further +1 on Grapple when using the arms as well.

Ah well, I'll tinker a bit more with her in any case.

Reworked her a bit, recalculated her points expenditure three times, found I had a couple of points left over to play with.

The big change here is that a fair bit of skills and feats have gone into Variable Power 2 [10pp] (Accumulated Know-How; Feats & Skills; Multiple at once Extras: Action 2: Free, Duration: Continuous; Power Feats: Innate) [19pp] (Mechanically the same as Polymath, just slightly different descriptor.) I've got a version without the Variable as well, but I thought I'd see how this one is percieved first.

Trade-Offs: -2 Defence for +2 Toughness

Alternate Identity: Lyria Erectheus, ‘The Snake Witch’, Lady Lamia

Age: Looks like a well-preserved 30-something, is about 2700 (counting time spent dead)

Eyes: Turquoise Green

Costs: Abilities (26) + Combat (20) + Saves (07) + Skills (05) + Feats (08) + Powers (90) - Drawbacks (06) = 150pp

Attack: +6 [+8 Melee, Blast & Snare] (Uses Variable to reach Caps)

Grapple: +20 [+24 with Tail, +25 With Tail & Hands, Additional +4 to maintain Pin]

Defence: +6 (+2 flat-footed) [4 Base +2 Dodge Focus]

Knockback: -6 [Toughness 12 / 2]

Saves: 0+1+6 = 7pp

Toughness: +12 (+0 Con, +12 Protection)

Reflex: +5 (+4 Dex, +1)

Skills: 20r = 5pp

Bluff 0 (+3/+7*) [skill Mastery] [*Attractive]

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 1 (+3)

Languages 1 [base]

Stealth 2 (+6) [skill Mastery]

Feats: 8pp

Attack Focus Melee 2

Attractive

Dodge Focus 2

Luck 2

Powers: 1+4+7+5+5+30+7+1+12+1+2+3+19 = 90pp

Vampiric Array 1.5 [Power Feats: Alternate Power 1]

BP: Drain Constitution 2 (Blood Drain) [Extras: Linked Healing 1 [Extras: Action: Standard; Flaws: Personal; Drawbacks: Requires Successful Drain Con]; Power Feats: Precise; Flaws: Requires Grapple] [3pp]

AP: Mind Control 2 [Extras: Conscious; Power Feats: Mental Link, Subtle; Flaws: Action: Full, Sense-Dependent (Sight); Drawbacks: Limited: Not vs. Vampires)

Drain Strength 8 (Weakness Venom) [Extras: Poison; Power Feats: Alternate Power 2, Slow Fade 1 [1/Minute]; Flaws: Requires Grapple, Unreliable (5 uses)] [7pp]

AP: Drain Dexterity 8 (Paralytic Venom) [Extras:Poison; Power Feats: Slow Fade 1 [1/Minute]; Flaws: Requires Grapple, Unreliable (5 uses)]

AP: Drain Wisdom 8 (Intoxicant Venom/Neurotoxin) [Extras:Poison; Power Feats: Slow Fade 1 [1/Minute]; Flaws: Requires Grapple, Unreliable (5 uses)]

Elongation 4 [30ft] (Snake Tail) [Extras: Linked Additional Limbs 1, Linked Enhanced Feat 2 [improved Grab, Improved Pin]; Flaws: Limited: Tail, Permanent] [5pp]

Enhanced Strength 10 (Herculean Strength Enchantment) [Flaws: Duration: Sustained] [5pp]

Magic 4.5 [Array] Power Feats: Alternate Power 2; Drawbacks: Action: Standard (to change between powers)[-2pp], Power Loss: When unable to gesture and speak [-2pp] [7pp]

BP: Teleport 3 [Extras: Accurate]

AP: Blast 8 (Necromancy) [Power Feats: Accurate; Flaws: Distracting]

AP: Snare 8 (Earthen bindings) [Flaws: Distracting; Power Feats: Accurate; Reversible; Drawbacks: Target may not be more than 5 feet of the ground]

Protection 12 [12pp]

Super-Senses 4 [Darkvision, Scent, Tracking (Scent)] [Drawbacks: Noticeable (Scent; Snake Tongue) [3pp]

Variable Power 2 [10pp] (Accumulated Know-How; Feats & Skills; Multiple at once Extras: Action 2: Free, Duration: Continuous; Power Feats: Innate) [19pp]

Drawbacks: 3+3 = 6pp

Weakness (dependent on blood, must drink 1 Con point worth of blood per night or suffer a cumulative -1 drain on all ability scores and will 'starve' to death after 10 nights; Very Common, Major; -3 points)

Weakness (Holy Symbols, dazed for one round by losing an opposed Charisma check; Common, Moderate; -3pp)

DC Block:

Intoxicant Venom/Neurotoxin --- 18/Fortitude --- Drain Wisdom, Proportional

Paralytic Venom --- 18/Fortitude --- Drain Dexterity, Proportional

Weakness Venom --- 18/Fortitude --- Drain Strength, Proportional

And a version with 1 rank of the variable

Costs: Abilities (26) + Combat (20) + Saves (07) + Skills (06) + Feats (12) + Powers (85) - Drawbacks (06) = 150pp

Attack: +6 [+10 Melee] [+8 Blast & Snare]

Grapple: +20 [+24 with Tail, +25 With Tail & Hands, Additional +4 to maintain Pin]

Defence: +8 (+2 flat-footed) [4 Base +4 Dodge Focus]

Saves: 0+1+6 = 7pp

Skills: 24r = 6pp

Bluff 4 (+7/+11*) [skill Mastery] [*Attractive]

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 1 (+3)

Languages 1 [base]

Stealth 2 (+6) [skill Mastery]

Feats: 12pp

Attack Focus Melee 4

Attractive

Dodge Focus 4

Luck 2

Powers: 1+4+8+5+5+30+3+7+1+12+1+2+3+10 = 85pp

Vampiric Array 1.5 [Power Feats: Alternate Power 1]

BP: Drain Constitution 2 (Blood Drain) [Extras: Linked Healing 1 [Extras: Action: Standard; Flaws: Personal; Drawbacks: Requires Successful Drain Con]; Power Feats: Precise; Flaws: Requires Grapple] [3pp]

AP: Mind Control 2 [Extras: Conscious; Power Feats: Mental Link, Subtle; Flaws: Action: Full, Sense-Dependent (Sight); Drawbacks: Limited: Not vs. Vampires)

Drain Strength 10 (Weakness Venom) [Extras: Poison; Power Feats: Alternate Power 2, Slow Fade 1 [1/Minute]; Flaws: Requires Grapple, Unreliable (5 uses)] [8pp]

AP: Drain Dexterity 10 (Paralytic Venom) [Extras:Poison; Power Feats: Slow Fade 1 [1/Minute]; Flaws: Requires Grapple, Unreliable (5 uses)]

AP: Drain Wisdom 10 (Intoxicant Venom/Neurotoxin) [Extras:Poison; Power Feats: Slow Fade 1 [1/Minute]; Flaws: Requires Grapple, Unreliable (5 uses)]

Elongation 4 [30ft] (Snake Tail) [Extras: Linked Additional Limbs 1, Linked Enhanced Feat 2 [improved Grab, Improved Pin]; Flaws: Limited: Tail, Permanent] [5pp]

Immunity 6 (Cold mind) [interaction Skills, Fear] [Flaws: Limited: half effect] [3pp]

BP: Blast 8 (Necromancy) [Power Feats: Accurate; Flaws: Distracting]

AP: Teleport 3 [Extras: Accurate]

Protection 12 [12pp]

Super-Senses 4 [Darkvision, Scent, Tracking (Scent)] [Drawbacks: Noticeable (Scent; Snake Tongue) [3pp]

Variable Power 1 [5pp] (Accumulated Know-How; Feats & Skills; Multiple at once Extras: Action 2: Free, Duration: Continuous; Power Feats: Innate) [10pp]

DC Block:

Intoxicant Venom/Neurotoxin --- 20/Fortitude --- Drain Wisdom, Proportional

Paralytic Venom --- 20/Fortitude --- Drain Dexterity, Proportional

Weakness Venom --- 20/Fortitude --- Drain Strength, Proportional

Gee, parts of this new build sure look familiar.

I can tell you right now, the Sustained/Permanent flaws on things like Enhanced [Traits] and Super-Strength are not going to fly around here.

On a strategic note:

Keep in mind that Recovery is a DC10 check. With Regeneration (Recovery Bonus) 1, she's got a -4 penalty. Which means she has to roll a 14 or better at each interval to recover from anything (13+ if she's using her Drain/Healing). Those aren't great odds.

Her powers are so laden with flaws and drawbacks, I seriously question how effective she's actually going to be in a fight. I worry that you might be disappointed when you finally test-drive her.

In regards to that oh-so-familiar variable power...

Disclaimer: This isn't an official statement from the Staff. It's my personal opinion/assessment.

I don't think it's likely that the character will get approved with this power in place. You'll notice that so far, every character in the books and on the board who's had it was a concept that was completely built around it. On this character, it's an afterthought stuck onto the end to give her even more ridiculous amounts of utility than she already had.

Bottom line, I think something like the Polymath power is more likely to be approved on the sheet of a Badass Normal skill-monkey with no "real" powers than it is on the sheet of an undead naga mage.

If you want her to have picked up a few tricks here and there over a long life, consider instead just giving her Beginners Luck and/or Jack of All Trades. I'd recommend grabbing a couple ranks of Luck as well, but you already did that. You can already burn a Hero Point to temporarily gain any Feat, and with Beginners Luck, you can do the same for Skills. With her high Abilities, JoAT would give her the equivalent of 1PP spent already in pretty much every skill.

The Scarab has BGL, JoAT, and Luck 2, and I wind up using BGL at least once per thread.

And Lyria still won't leave me quite alone, another version of her is now here. Cutting out almost all the magic leaving just Naga and Vampire elements and tearing out the Variable. This one focuses a bit more squarely on grappling.

Trade-Offs: -2 Defence for +2 Toughness

Alternate Identity: Lyria Erectheus, ‘The Snake Witch’, Lady Lamia

Age: Looks like a well-preserved 30-something is about 2300 (counting time spent dead)

Height: Human Form: 5’7’’ ; Naga Form: Head’s usually about 6 feet of the ground, body is about forty feet long.

Weight: Human: 148lb. Naga: ca: 2200lbs.

Hair: Ebony Black

Eyes: Turquoise Green

Costs: Abilities (38) + Combat (20) + Saves (05) + Skills (10) + Feats (17) + Powers (66) - Drawbacks (06) = 150pp

Stats: 20+8-10+4+10+6 = 38pp

Str: 30 (+10)

Wis: 20 (+5)

Attack: +6 [+10 Melee]

Grapple: +21 [+25 with Tail, +26 With Tail & Hands, Additional +4 to maintain Pin]

Defence: +8 (+2 flat-footed) [4 Base +4 Dodge Focus]

Saves: 0+1+4 = 5pp

Will: +9 (+5 Wis, +4)

Skills: 40r = 10pp

Bluff 11 (+14/+18*) [skill Mastery] [*Attractive]

Diplomacy 2 (+5/+9*) [*Attractive]

Intimidate 4 (+7)

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 4 (+6)

Languages 1 [base]

Notice 8 (+13) [skill Mastery]

Sense Motive 8 (+13) [skill Mastery]

Stealth 4 (+8) [skill Mastery]

Feats: 17pp

All-Out Attack

Attack Focus Melee 4

Attractive

Beginner's Luck

Dodge Focus 4

Jack of All-Trades

Luck 2

Power Attack

Ultimate Effort: [Grapple]

Powers: 1+3+8+6+30+1+12+3+2+5+2 = 66pp

Vampiric Array 1 [Power Feats: Alternate Power 1] [3pp]

BP: Drain Constitution 2 (Blood Drain) [Extras: Linked Healing 1 [Extras: Action: Standard; Flaws: Personal; Drawbacks: Requires Successful Drain Con]; Flaws: Requires Grapple]

AP: Mind Control 2 [Extras: Conscious; Power Feats: Subtle; Flaws: Action: Full, Sense-Dependent (Sight); Drawbacks: Limited: Not vs. Vampires)

Drain Strength 10 (Weakness Venom) [Extras: Poison; Power Feats: Alternate Power 2, Slow Fade 1 [1/Minute]; Flaws: Requires Grapple, Unreliable (5 uses)] [8pp]

AP: Drain Dexterity 10 (Paralytic Venom) [Extras:Poison; Power Feats: Slow Fade 1 [1/Minute]; Flaws: Requires Grapple, Unreliable (5 uses)]

AP: Drain Wisdom 10 (Intoxicant Venom/Neurotoxin) [Extras:Poison; Power Feats: Slow Fade 1 [1/Minute]; Flaws: Requires Grapple, Unreliable (5 uses)]

Container 1 (Snake Tail) [Permanent; Power Feats: Innate] [6pp]

-Elongation 4 Flaws: Limited: Tail, Permanent]

-Additional Limbs 1 (Tail)

-Enhanced Feat 2 [improved Grab, Improved Pin]

Protection 12 [12pp]

Regeneration 3 [Recovery Bonus +3 (-2 due to lack of con)] [3pp]

Super-Senses 6 [Accurate (Scent), Darkvision, Scent, Tracking (Scent)] [Drawbacks: Noticeable (Scent; Snake Tongue) [5pp]

Super-Strength 1 [2pp]

DC Block:

Intoxicant Venom/Neurotoxin --- 20/Fortitude --- Drain Wisdom, Proportional

Paralytic Venom --- 20/Fortitude --- Drain Dexterity, Proportional

Weakness Venom --- 20/Fortitude --- Drain Strength, Proportional

Again, not speaking for the entire Staff in any official capacity, I would debate the validity of using Ultimate Effort for grapple checks. Most of the listed uses of UE apply to defense or utility. The one offensive use listed, Aim, is a very risky combat maneuver that requires significant setup time. And the use of UE does not in any way protect against that risk or lower that setup time. The only potential downside to initiating a grapple is what will happen if you lose the opposed grapple check, and getting an automatic "20" on your roll pretty much eliminates that possibility.

The rest of the sheet looks fine to me, and aside from Ultimate Grapple, I'd approve it if it was submitted.