Thad Minker, PL10

This is the edited version. I hope I made all the right corrections. Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Power Level: 10 (150/153pp)

Trade-Offs: +2 Attack for -2 Damage and -2 Defense for +2 Toughness

Unspent PP: 3

Characters Name:Thad Minker

Alternate Identity: none

Height:5'11"

Weight:178lbs

Eyes:Hazel

Hair:Light Brown

“I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.†- Leonardo da Vinci

Description:

Physically there is nothing special about Thad. Being in his mid-thirties he has a sturdy frame. Well, as sturdy as a scrawny, skin and bones type of physique a person can have. When a person looks at him they can't help but be amazed that he isn't crushed under the weight of his own clothes. But that might be exaggerating things just a bit. Thad is able to walk, jog, even run just like an other average person who passed P.E. but didn't do much with it after high school but was able to keep clear of cheesy snacks and burgers.

He is clean shaven and his light brown hair is kept short to avoid it getting in his eyes and more importantly getting caught in a machine, something he would rather not talk about nor repeat. His eyebrows are thin and every now and again they are no longer there. The hazel eyes still show much life and wonder but are constantly darting around the room as if all ways chasing an imaginary fly that refuses to leave him alone. Under the eyes show the weather of getting older with crows feet, wrinkles, and bags, starting to draw the majority of the attention from the rest of his face.

He can be seen mainly in work his work clothes which include; a plain tee-shirt (he keeps a variety of colors to fit his mood or just to change things up from time to time), a pair of old worn jeans that he claims to be the most comfortable pair of jeans on the planet, a plain brown belt, a good set of brown work boots, a standard tool belt, brown work gloves, and some goggles. Though he has the ability to clean up for occasions that call for a more formal attire. Formal attire for him meaning no tool belt and throwing on a clean lab coat over his normal attire most of the time forgetting about the goggles that are either dangling from his neck or are still on his head. Thad is not a dirty man, he takes his hygiene into account and regular showers and shaves. Despite that fact there seems to be the smell of a metal shop about him with hints of oil and wood into the mix.

History:

Thad Minker once lead a fairly average life all the way to the age of 2 when he successfully dismantled the family car with just his mind and laid out all the pieces in front of him on the driveway. And when I say "all the pieces" i mean "all the pieces". Every bolt, screw, pin, piston, etc. Luckily it was rather easy to cover up. It was easier for people to except that a bunch of prankster mechanics came and disassembled the car rather than tell the truth.

Thad didn't attend normal school but he wasn't home schooled either. He is self taught. Every book the school district sent to the house from K-12 was read in less than a week, committed to memory, and then just began to gather dust. Thad could probably have graduated college by the age of 13 but his parents kept him at a normal pace though his life. This would have been a problem for Thad just for sheer boredom but his folks weren't all bad. They kept him occupied with plenty of devices to take apart and put together. Bought him as many books on computers and robotics as they could, and his dad made sure to take Thad to every scientific convention that was within reach. They never discouraged his powers, unless of course you include the time Thad's mother went to use the toaster after one of Thad's "tinkering sessions" and ended up shorting every circuit on their block. They just didn't want him to have to feel like an outcast at school or attract the attention of someone far worse than an angry teacher.

After "graduating" the high school curriculum Thad decided not to go to college and just go into what he enjoyed doing the most, fixing and creating technological wonders. His parents were a little nervous but they knew he would be leaving them sooner of later. They set him up with some start up money for him to go out into the world. Thad knew he wanted to go to Freedom City since that was where a lot of new advances in science were being made and he didn't want to be far from the action. When he arrived he stayed in a motel for a few days while he searched for a more permanent place to stay. Most of the places were out of his price range until he found some work but he saw an ad for a room mate that was needed in an apartment not to far from where he was staying.

He went to the apartment and was meet but the most beautiful girl he had ever seen in his life. Her hair was dark black and ran down her back. She stood only a few inches shorter than Thad and had an (to say the least) an amazing figure. Her eyes were brown and her completion soft and gentle. Her body was toned but still retained it's feminine charm. Her name was Annabell Rose. For once in his life Thad couldn't think clearly and all he was able to do was hold up the ad and point to it. She smiled and said "As long as you have 2 months down payment you can stay. I've been looking for a room mate for a while now and the one thing I kept looking for was someone like you. I'm sure that you won't give me any trouble and if you do I know I can take you." as she then gave Thad his first real punch in the arm. What transpires between then and now is something that will be saved for another time.

Personality & Motivation:

Thad's personality can be best described as socially awkward. Not being exposed to other kids while young definitely played a part in this but other events in his past have made him rather clumsy with words when talking with or about people. That all changes when Thad is in his element and that is his work. Seeing Thad work is like looking at an entirely different person. The eyes that never stay still become focused and determined while working on a project. But then again Thad doesn't all ways work on projects like everyone else. He employs his telekinesis to help him to great advantage. To see all the parts of a machine swirl around the room while Thad takes a piece in his hand to examine it, it's as if there is nothing else that matters to the man.

Thad is a nice guy at heart and wouldn't want to cause anyone harm if it could be avoided but his past lessons have taught him to take some more initiative and the courage to stand his ground. He never was lazy and continues that trend to this day. He is motivated by the fact of all the new gadgets, computers, and other breakthroughs in science that keep coming out meaning that there is all ways something new to learn. He earns a living by doing all sorts of repair work form computers, mechanical, electronics, and even some on location structural work for construction companies. But what Thad really wants is to be the #1 provider for heroes. To supply them with state of the art crime fighting weaponry and/or to fix their damaged tools. This will take time however as Thad is skeptical of some clients and most need a reference from one of his trusted and preferred customers.

Powers & Tactics: Having telekinesis Thad prefers to fight from afar with strikes and bursts. He also uses his mental abilities to aid his flight with great success so much that he can perform fly-by attacks. In combat he can stand alone to defend himself against one or many and if the situation seems too unfavorable he has the sense to retreat at great speed. Thad makes for a great supporter while in groups as he can give his allies tactical information to aid them in victory while possessing the power to help subdue the foe.

His powers do not go unnoticed all the time. What/who ever is being affected by Thad's telekinetic powers appears to be wrapped (in part or whole) by a shimmering, translucent blue substance. This is not a physical material but (for what Thad has figured out) makes for a good focusing point for his powers.For some unknown reason this is not the only color that is produced as the substance seems to be some how linked with Thad's emotional state. The translucent blue is, for lack of a better term, the default state in which Thad's emotions are in balance and no one has taken control. The colors still retain the shimmering and translucent appearance but have changed from blue, to red, green,yellow and so on. Since his flight is greatly affected by his telekinesis Thad is also known to arrive wrapped in his own focusing agent.

mood-ring-color-chart-275x300.jpg

As explained before he utilizes his telekinetic ability (and to some extent his flight) while working on projects in private.

Complications:

Reputation: Thad performs a tactical retreat from a doomed situation but others call this being a coward. This has made other heroes unsure if they can count on Thad in a pinch and makes Thad think other heroes to be too fool hearty.

Responsibility: The whereabouts of Annabell Rose currently elude Thad and not knowing troubles him continuously. Any possible lead to where she may be is the only thing that can break his concentration on his work.

Responsibility: Thad's parents are still alive and are a part of his life. While he may not live with them Thad makes sure to contact them at least once a week and see them at least once every 2 weeks. He and dad still go to science conventions that take place in or around Freedom City.

Hero Code: When Thad is out and about he does not turn a deaf ear to those in need. If there is a way he can help he will find it. He knows that doing this will make his parents proud, a little nervous but proud.

Stats: 0+0+4+10+10-2 = 22pp

Str: 10 (+0)

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 14 (+2)

Int: 20 (+5)

Wis: 20 (+5)

Cha: 8 (-1)

Combat: 12+8 = 20pp

Attack: +6 [base]; +12 [Telekinesis/Damaging Telekinesis]

Grapple: +21 [base TK] +14 [Damaging TK] +6 [base]

Defense: +8 (+2 flat-footed)

Knockback: -6

Initiative: +5 (speed of thought feat)

Saves: 6+8+7 = 21pp

Toughness: +12 (+2 Con, +10 Forcefield)

Fortitude: +8 (+2 Con, +6)

Reflex: +8 (+0 Dex, +8)

Will: +12 (+5 Wis, +7)

Skills: 100r=25pp

Computers 15 (+20) [skill Mastery]

Concentration 10 (+15)

Craft (Electronic) 10 (+15) [skill Mastery]

Craft (Mechanical) 10 (+15) [skill Mastery]

Craft (Structural) 10 (+15) [skill Mastery]

Disable Device 15 (+20) [skill Mastery]

Knowledge (Physical Sciences) 10 (+15) [skill Mastery]

Knowledge (Technology) 10 (+15) [skill Mastery]

Notice 10 (+15) [skill Mastery]

Feats: 11pp

Eidetic Memory

Evasion

Improvised Tools

Inventor

Luck 2

Master Plan

Power Attack

Skill Mastery 2 (computers, all craft, disable devise, all knowledge, notice)

Speed of Thought

Powers: 2+10+4+36 = 53pp (Descriptors: Mutation: Genetic Abnormality)

Flight 1 [2pp]

Force Field 10 [10pp]

Shield 4 [4pp]

Telekinesis 17 (34pp; PFs 3 Alternate Powers) [37pp]

BE: Telekinesis 15 (Power Feats: Accurate 3, Precise) {34pp}

AP: Flight 16 (1,000,000 MPH; 10,000,000 ft move action) (Power Feats: Move-by-Action, Moving Feint) {34pp}

AP: Strike 10 (Extras: Area/Burst, Selective; Power Feats: Kockback 4) {34pp}

AP: Telekinesis 8 (Extras: Damaging, Penetrating 4; Power Feats: Accurate 3, Indirect, Subtle, Precise) {34pp}

Drawbacks: -2pp

Vulnerable to Magic (Common; Minor [+1DC]) [-2pp]

DC Block:

Unarmed --- 15/Toughness --- Bruised, Staged

Strike 10 --- 20/Reflex; 25/Toughness --- Bruised, Staged

Telekinesis 8 --- 23/Toughness --- Bruised, Staged

Costs: Abilities (22) + Combat (20) + Saves (21) + Skills (25) + Feats (11) + Powers (53) - Drawbacks (2) = 150/153pp

Alright, first of all let me say that I am not endowed with Referee powers and as such cannot give you one of the two Approvals you need to start playing. But I can certainly help you, and them, get it done a bit quicker by helping out with a few areas.

Complications:* (What is exactly meant by "complications" is that a section in the book or is that part of the character?)

Um, Yes, on both counts, kinda. Complications are indeed a part of the book, and also the character. It's to be found at the end of the chapter on Powers if I recall correctly (not having my copy accessible right now). Essentially they're traits of the character which may well in some ways hinder him that aren't bound into Drawbacks and Flaws. Behavioral patterns, such as Colt's Chivalry and Darkstar being Naive and having a Code of Honor certainly qualify since they can give an advantage to the enemy. Having to maintain a Secret Identity or having a significant Responsibility or one or more Enemies/Rivals are probably the most common Complications.

Whenever a Complication sets in, judged by the GM in residence as a rule, the afflicted character earns a Hero Point. If you want some inspiration for what aspects of your character you could consider Complications just take a look at some of the other Heroes on the site.

Combat: 12+8 = 20pp

Attack: +6

Grapple: +0 *

Defense: +4 (+0 flat-footed*)

Knockback: -0*

Initiative: +5 (speed of thought feat)

Please note any specific modifiers concerning your Attack, such as Attack Specialization.

Grapple is generally a result of your Attack, your Strength and any relevant Powers (though some powers cancel out the Strength part). In your case you would have the following.

Grapple: +21 [base TK] +14 [Damaging TK] +6 [base]

Since your TK comes in two flavours, one which can't actively hurt your foe and one which can. Both of these use your Power rank (15 and 8 respectively) plus your Attack. Without your TK your grapple score is just your Attack value since you don't have either Str or Dex to raise it further. I haven't included your Attack Specialization here since that needs to be narrowed, see further down.

Flatfooted defence is just half your base Defence (rounded down) and applies whenever you wouldn't be able to actively defend yourself such as when surprised or failing against a Feint manouver. Moreover I see in your Power section that your have 4 ranks of the Shield power, which should make your Defence +8 (+2 Flatfooted)

Toughness: +14 (+2 Con, +12 other)

As far as I can see this should be +12 (+2 Con, +10 Forcefield) since I can't find another +2 to Toughness anywhere in your build.

Skills: 0r = 25pp

Please note the number of ranks, in this case 100.

Furthermore please note which skills are subject to Skill Mastery such as: Computers 15 (+20) [skill Mastery]

Attack Specialization (Powers) 3

This is too broad a description for Attack Specialization. An Alternative would be to just chuck in Accurate 3 on those powers that are relevant (TK and Damage-TK). Same cost, more rules legal.

DC Block:* (how do I calculate these, meaning what do I need to factor in?)

Example: Blast 10 --- 25/Toughness --- Bruised, Staged

Alright, DC is calculated as [15+Effect Rank] for Damage effects (which is all you have) and [10+Effect Rank] for non-Damage effects. In your case we have:

Unarmed --- 15/Toughness --- Bruised, Staged

Strike 10 --- 25/Toughness --- Bruised, Staged

Telekinesis 8 --- 23/Toughness --- Bruised, Staged

Flight 1 [2pp]

Force Field 10 [10pp]

Shield 4 [4pp]

Telekinesis 15 [30pp]

AP: Flight 14 (Power Feats: Move-by-Action, Moving Feint) [1pp]

AP: Strike 10 (Extras: Area/Burst, Selective) [1pp]

AP: Telekinesis 8 (Extras: Damaging; Power Feats: Subtle, Precise) [1pp]

First of all, please Bold your powers so as to easier to skim, everyone else has it so.

Secondly please Italize your Extras and Power Feats (the markers that is), again as is custom around here.

Thirdly please Underline AP

Fourth, please note the speed your Flight allows you to achieve.

Fifth, it would be appreciated if you noted the cost of your APs as Power Feats of Telekinesis

And I do believe that's it as far as I can see. I wish you good luck with your Approval session, and hope the Refs aren't too cross with me for butting in.

/Slaps Nyrath on wrist. Technically only refs are supposed to respond to these. ;)

That said start with what Nyrath said. Powers need descriptors, explanations of how they cause the effect and how your character is able to do so. Things like Mutation or magic, psychic phenomena etc.

Also Paragraphs in the description and history sections would be easier on my eyes.

Here's how I explain Complications:

You know how, in other point-buy systems, there are some disadvantages that don't impose any mechanical disadvantages, but give you points with which you can buy mechanical advantages? M&M doesn't roll that way. If it doesn't affect the dice, it doesn't affect the dice.

M&M basically has 3 different kinds of disadvantages.

Flaws: These apply to a particular power, and create a restriction severe enough to warrant a -1PP (or more) per rank discount on the power. The general guideline is that it would have to make the power about 1/2 as effective, or effective about 1/2 of the time. Think of them as "anti-Extras."

Drawbacks: These can apply to a specific power, or to the character as a whole. They are described in Chapter 6 of the core rulebook and the tail end of Chapter 2 of Ultimate Power. They are not as severe as Flaws, so instead of giving you a per-rank discount, they give you a flat one-time bonus of a few power points. Think of them as "anti-feats."

Complications: These are the "fluff" disadvantages - Enemies, Secrets, etc. They don't generally impose any actual penalties where the dice are concerned. So instead of giving you any bonus points (with which you could buy traits that would affect die rolls), when they come up in play, you gain a Hero Point, just like you would if your character faced a setback. In fact, Complications are basically a list of potential setbacks you provide the GM with in advance.

Also remember that you're always free to take a potential Flaw or Drawback as a Complication instead. Depending on the disadvantage in question, a bonus Hero Point when it comes up might be more valuable than a couple of extra power points at character generation.

Example: I'm creating a darkness/shadow controller. I want him to be able to teleport through shadows. I could add the "Medium (Shadows)" flaw to his Teleport power. If I didn't want him to be as restricted, I could instead give his Teleport power the "Power Loss" drawback. However, I decide that I'd rather it be a Complication instead of a flaw. So I don't take the flaw on his power, and I don't get the point discount. Instead, whenever he's faced with a situation where there aren't enough shadows for him to escape, I get a Hero Point.

The same disadvantage could conceivably be built as any of the three. Keep in mind, though, that if you got points for a Drawback or a Flaw, you do not get a Hero Point for the setback if/when it comes around to bite you in the ass during play (since you already got bonus points or a cost break for it at character gen).

So are my complications valid? I read what was in the book and tried to follow what the examples taught me. Or do I still need to re-do them? Is there a certain amount that I should have? Aside from complications, does the rest of my character seem sound? Any areas that need improvement or not done correctly? Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to help me. Since this is my first build and first time playing M&M any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Background: Well done sounds like an interesting character. One thing is I'd like a description of what his Base telekinetics 15 power looks like. Since its not subtle it has an obvious effect when in use.

Stats: good

Combat: Good

Saves: Toughness should be +12 by my count

Skills: Good

Powers: Good. Though as mentioned above as the base telekinesis 15 isn't subtle what it looks like should to be described.

Drawbacks: What has left him vulnerable to magic? Just part of his genetic mutation?

The Toughness has been fixed.

The drawback I wanted to cover when I posted the rest of his history. Would that be okay or do I still have to submit it before hand?

I think the description of his telekinesis is good but I also found a really good picture online that I want to use to help describe what color shows during what emotion but I don't know how to do that. I know it seems sad that I don't know how to do this but it's just something I haven't needed to do. I saved it in my own pictures and bookmarked the page I got it from, since I'm not sure which one I need to use or how to properly do it. The picture is just a basic color wheel that I (and others) can reference during role playing, to make the color symbolism more effective and easier to understand.

• 3 months later...