Oh, The Weather Outside is Frightful (IC)

"I reckon it tasted better'n it smelled!"

Grim beamed. "See, it's not so bad, really; the meat is always the highest quality, but the taste does take some getting used to, or so I'm told. Plus we have an excellent in-house cook in Jack, who's got you covered for all your non-kosher needs."

"What'cha wanna know?"

At first so eager to question Colt, now Grim seemed oddly hesitant as she scratched her chin thoughtfully. "Hmm, now that I have you at my mercy, what am I supposed to do with ya?"

After a few moments, the shapeshifter tucked her legs under herself Indian style and shrugged. "Okay, I guess we'll start at the begining." Suddenly she had a pen and a small therapist's notepad. "Tell me about your childhood." ;)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a few moments, the shapeshifter tucked her legs under herself Indian style and shrugged. "Okay, I guess we'll start at the begining." Suddenly she had a pen and a small therapist's notepad. "Tell me about your childhood." ;)

Colt began with the father he never knew. Colt moved on to his mother's odd jobs. Colt explained how they never settled down. Colt touched on how the only home he ever really knew was a temporary room at a tavern. Between sips of coffee, Colt told her everything.

"I reckon it wasn't all so bad, though. I got ta know Ma real well." Colt moved his gaze from grim to the rim of his coffee mug. "Haven't seen'er in ages though. I sure miss'er somethin' fierce." He let the words hang in the air for a second. He took a small sip, then looked back up at Grim. "Don't worry, it gets better." He smiled, trying not to dwell too long. "Wanna hear how I got ma first gun?"

Was it wrong that she took comfort in the knowledge that Colt's childhood was as messed up as her own? Someone once said that all happy families are the same, but unhappy families are all unique; was that why she was so attracted to troubled guys? Back when she was still pulling her internet dating scam, preying upon the wealthy frat boys of Freedom, it was always the screwed-up ones she let slip through her net; after a few dates, she released them back into the ocean, their credit and A/V equipment still intact.

"Wanna hear how I got ma first gun?"

Grim curled up on her blanket, head resting in her hand, and smiled.

"Yeah; tell me about your big gun, cowboy." ;)

Colt looked up into the swaying branches of the trees still heavy with snow. He wished for a moment that he'd been born with the ability to fly like some other heroes. If he could fly, maybe he could have flown away from his childhood and found a better one.

Who'm a kiddin'? Colt asked himself, his face hardening. Ain't no way I'd pass up what I been through. It made me who I am. Besides, if'n I didn't start off that way, I never would'a come here. Never would'a found her. His head turned to the girl curled up next to him, and he smiled. Then I reckon I'd really be upset.

It was one of those things that he remembered so well it seemed like it happened yesterday. The poker game, the bet, the gun, even the first time his nose had smelled the gunpowder left on his hands. He remembered everything, and that was the story he told Grim.

"At first, I reckon Ma was terrified at the prospect'a her son makin' a livin' shootin' guns. She never said so, but part'a me always thought it reminded her'a Pa. And she didn't like the idea'a havin' me run away neither." Colt had moved on to a bottle of water after the coffee. Between the bitter, hot drink and all the talking his throat had become parched. He sipped at it now. "I suppose it was only natural anyways. What self respectin' mother would be okay with somethin' like that?"

Colt reached over to where Grim was laying on the ground and gently stroked her hair. "She couldn't stop me though. Not wit' as stubborn as I am. I reckon you know that. I kept'a shootin' an' finally she realized how good I was. I reckoned I learned a lot from Ma. 'Specially, if'n ya can't beat'em, join'em."

"She couldn't stop me though. Not wit' as stubborn as I am. I reckon you know that. I kept'a shootin' an' finally she realized how good I was. I reckoned I learned a lot from Ma. 'Specially, if'n ya can't beat'em, join'em."

Grim smiled and shook her head. "Yeah, I learned a lot from my mom, too." She rolled her eyes. "Not all of it good, though. She did read to me a lot of a kid, and bought me tons of books. We never has a lot of toys, so I went over and played at my friends' houses."

She sighed and started fiddling with Colt's shirt. "God, she's so smart, like, supervillain smart, I swear; Doc would be scared of her. And Dad is such a goofball screwup. And yet, they're still together, twenty years later. No, twenty-five years later...wow".

Grim was quiet for a little while, still messing with the shirt, then she spoke quietly. "Ben says Mom's been better, since she started therapy; I think she's still on the meds, though." She looked at her boyfriend and smiled. "So maybe someday you can meet 'em. It'd be nice."

She looked at her boyfriend and smiled. "So maybe someday you can meet 'em. It'd be nice."

"Sure would." Colt sighed, gazing upward. He was growing steadily more accustomed to the thought of settling down on this new planet. More and more it was looking like he wouldn't be going home.

The mention of Grim's mother being on medication tugged at the back of his mind. "When'd she start all that treatment? What's't fer?"

"When'd she start all that treatment? What's't fer?"

Grim took a deep breath and nervously adjusted herself, apparantly a bit uncomfortable with the subject. "Uh, well, she's dealt with depression and anxiety most of her life, but being 'Miss Scientist', she never wanted to go into therapy; she said psychology was basically as useful as voodoo and psychiatrists just tried to medicate everyone's problems away." She rubs her eyes at the frustrating memories. "Dad had to work on her for years to get her to see someone. But then she finally broke down and gave in; she still makes snarky comments about it, but I guess it is helping, so..."

She shrugged and sat up, then did a lazy sexy stretch, clearly an attempt to distract Colt. "So, today we go walkies, yes?" :love:

She shrugged and sat up, then did a lazy sexy stretch, clearly an attempt to distract Colt. "So, today we go walkies, yes?" :love:

The combination of the mediocre explanation, and the incredibly distracting stretch worked. Colt had all but forgotten what he had just been asking about. "Walkies?" Colt laughed at that, "Ah course we are." Colt stood abruptly, and began brushing his pants off. "I reckon we should get started if'n we wanna make this hike a good'n." Colt offered Grim his hand and pulled her into a standing position. "I c'n get the dishes if'n ya wanna make us up some lunch ta pack."

"I c'n get the dishes if'n ya wanna make us up some lunch ta pack."

Grim let Colt's hand-up blend smoothly into a bit of a hop to show her enthusiasm for walkies. "Yes, sir! Big meaty sammiches on hearty rye, coming right up!" Humming to herself, she happily went to work, once again showing her somewhat surprising domestic side as she made them each two thick sandwiches, as well as packing snacks, juice and water for the walk itself.

"One of these days we need to get a bunch of folks together, maybe rent a cabin on a lake or something? Good guys need more breaks." She finished her lunch preparations as she continued in this vein. "Like how awesome would it be to get Jack and Atlas into the great outdoors? Or maybe another couple? Then we could canoe and hike all day...good times!"

Colt began collecting the hot dog forks, jars of food, and various other utensils they had used during the meal. He smiled as he listened to Grim banter on. I reckon I hope she's as excited as this when I go'n giv'er that surprise I been workin' up. He glanced up at her as if to reassure himself. Suddenly he felt like a tremendous idiot. He'd never seen Grim unenthusiastic about anything. I reckon that's prolly why I love'er so much. She's like ... Colt's mind completely drew a blank on an analogy. Dumbfounded, he realized something else. I wonder what it means, when ya can't compare a person's worth ta a single other thing'n the whole rest'a yer world? Colt crossed the campsite and deposited the dirty implements in a plastic container they had brought for used items they couldn't properly wash.

Standing next to Grim at the table where she was gathering supplies he gave her another sideways glance. Ain't no wonderin' about it, Colt. I reckon ya know exactly what't means.

"One of these days we need to get a bunch of folks together, maybe rent a cabin on a lake or something? Good guys need more breaks." She finished her lunch preparations as she continued in this vein. "Like how awesome would it be to get Jack and Atlas into the great outdoors? Or maybe another couple? Then we could canoe and hike all day...good times!"

"I reckon I'd need a whole 'nother vacation if'n I had ta hike around with Jack all day!" Colt chuckled at her suggestion. It had been a good one. He put his right arm around her back and placed his hand softly on her far hip. "I'll go'n put out th' fire." He said quietly, and kissed her gently on the forehead.

Yea. I know what't means.

Once the campsite was all squared away, Grim slipped into her hiking gear and shrugged a light daypack filled with water bottles and tasty lunch goodies onto her small shoulders. The sun was out, providing some feeble warmth, and the snow was crunchy underfoot.

"You just about ready to hit the trail, hon?"

"Sure am." Colt smiled, taking Grim's hand. "Ya reckon it'd be too much'a cliche if'n I said 'mount up'?" Colt looked thoughful.

After a good laugh, Colt slung his own pack over his shoulder and led the way into the woods. There they found a small trail head marker. It was one of the trails that was kept up by the park rangers, certain to be a relaxing stroll. Colt considered it a moment, finally asking, "Hmm, should we take this'n? 'Er should we forge a new path all're own?" He looked to Grim for her opinion.

"Hmm, should we take this'n? 'Er should we forge a new path all're own?"

The shapeshifter wrinkled her nose. "Ah, it's protected forest, we should probably stick to the path, even if that's a little wimpy; if we ever go off into the gen-u-ine wilderness, I'm all for the blazing of trails."

Tromping along through the snow, Grim smiled. "We need to come back in the spring, or better yet the fall; I'm a sucker for the colors!" She made herself a little bamboo cane for randomly swishing through the air, knocking snow off the low-hanging branches.

Colt smiled at Grim's antics as he followed her down the path. Watching her knock branches about he quipped, "What happened ta 'protected forest', huh?" From the look on his face it was pretty clear that he was just giving her a hard time.

"Fall is nice," Colt mused more seriously, "Reckon they don't have none too many trees where I'm from, but I do like the leaves." Colt gazed around at the trees around them. Most were pine trees and still retained all of their needles, green as ever. Fewer and farther between were oak and other varieties. He gazed at the empty branches of those trees, wondering what they would look like with a multitude of colors on their branches.

"What happened ta 'protected forest', huh?"

Grim adopted a look of mock-innocence. "Hey, is it my fault if they don't defend themselves? These hardy pines could fight back at anytime, but they choose not to."

"Fall is nice," Colt mused more seriously, "Reckon they don't have none too many trees where I'm from, but I do like the leaves."

The diminutive heroine shook her head sadly. "Wow, you really missed out growing up. Fall is definitly my favorite; you've got the colors, the High Holidays with the family, plus my parents actually let us celebrate Halloween, so we got all the candy. Good times!"

She got quiet after that, lost in a heady reverie of autumns past.

"Oh, I reckon fall's one'a my favorite's too." Colt agreed, following along behind Grim and her mock machete. "But it's the cooler weather't did it fer me. It sure gets hot'n the desert. A cool breeze'll go a long way."

"Wow, you really missed out growing up. Fall is definitly my favorite; you've got the colors, the High Holidays with the family, plus my parents actually let us celebrate Halloween, so we got all the candy. Good times!"

She got quiet after that, lost in a heady reverie of autumns past.

"That's fer sure. What I wouldn't give ta have yer Halloweens as'a kid. Ain't really celebrated the same way where I'm from." Colt hesitated, realizing that he was sounding like a downer. "It wasn't bad're nothin'." Colt shook his hands to dismiss any notion of him having a deprived child hood. "We jus' didn't Trick Or Treat. It's no big deal when ya don't know any dif'rent."

"We jus' didn't Trick Or Treat. It's no big deal when ya don't know any dif'rent."

Grim nodded thoughtfully. "I guess so. Hey, at least we had fun at that party, right? I'm even happier we threw that thing now."

She got quiet again, for even longer than before, occasionally raising her head to sniff the air as she walked. At one point she paused and held out her hand. "Hey, stop for a second and just listen to the wind; it sounds so cool going through the pines." Her eyes closed and her breathing slowed, and then something bizarre happened; apparently lost in the moment, the changeling allowed all her clothing to drift away into mist, so she could feel the wind on her skin... :shock:

Colt stood and listened. He gazed up at the trees, losing himself in the sounds for a moment. He was about to make a comment when he looked back down and saw Grim.

Really? I reckon I shouldn't be surprised, but...

Colt placed his hands on his hips and shook his head. "Ya sure ya wanted ta go fer a hike? Or'd ya just wanna get me out'n the woods alone?" ;)

"Ya sure ya wanted ta go fer a hike? Or'd ya just wanna get me out'n the woods alone?"

"Mmm?" The shapeshifter stood with her arms spread and eyes closed, a blissful smile on her face. Then she cracked one eye open, took a look down at herself and sighed. "Yeah, that wasn't supposed to happen." Seconds later she was fully clothed and pretty damn embarrassed. "I mean, for a second I though it would be cool to feel the breaze...ah, forget it. Let's keep walking...and not breathe a word of this to anyone." :oops:

Colt smiled and shook his head. He fell into step behind grim, once again thinking to himself that he would be lost without her. Or at the very least, that his life would be a whole lot less interesting. Super hero business besides.

The two walked, and talked, and walked some more. They ventured rather far from the camp site. After a few hours of walking, Colt became more aware of the weight of the pack on his shoulders. He was no weakling, but a back pack full of lunch and picnic accessories could get rather heavy after walking around for so long.

"Say, Grim?" He asked her finally. "What'a'ya say we find a nice place ta take a break? Have a snack? We been walkin' fer long enough. I reckon we deserve a break."

"Say, Grim?" He asked her finally. "What'a'ya say we find a nice place ta take a break? Have a snack? We been walkin' fer long enough. I reckon we deserve a break."

The tiny shapeshifter nodded vigorously. "Yeah, okay; I would have stopped like half an hour ago, but I was being powered by shame." :P

Grim looked around for a bit, and spotted a bit of a clearing off to one side of the path. "How 'bout this, this work for you?" Making sure no one else can see them, she unfurls a nice dry groundcloth out of thin air, laying it over the snow. She dropped her pack to the ground and took a seat Indian style. "Figure this is more plausible than a picnic table, right?"

Truthfully, Colt had expected her to make the whole table out of thin air, and not just the cloth. He was happy with her decision, though, as it was in keeping with their "minimal powers" retreat. "Ya know, ya gotta stop wit that." He said with a smiled, laying a kiss on her as they surveyed her work. "We came out here," Colt relieved himself of his pack while speaking. He set it on the ground and started unzipping it. "So ya didn't have ta use yer powers all that much." He drew a nearly identical looking cloth out of the top of the pack and waved it at Grim, smiling all the while.

"So ya didn't have ta use yer powers all that much."

Lynn snorted as she stood up. "Yeah, that plan was doomed to fail; here, you can lay it over my magic one for double the moisture protection." She skipped to one side and helped Colt lay it over the first one before resuming her seat. "Okay, now that is gosh darn comfy."

As she started to unpack their portable feast, her tone became more thoughtful. Y'know when you really think about it, my glamour is actually really good for the environment. I don't have to buy clothes any more, which means less water used and chemicals and stuff poured into the sewers. I make my own furniture, my own toys to amuse myself. Plus the time and energy I save by not having to maintain all that crap..."

Feeling proud of herself, she began to fix a few pastrami sandwiches for the two of them, while humming some old Disney tune as she spread the dijon mustard on thick.

Colt smiled as Grim explained how conscientious she was. "Well, I reckon its good that ya do all'a that. There's gotta be someone ta make fer how bad't it I am." Colt smirked.

"I'm tryin' ta get better though." Colt pulled one of his e-cigarettes out of his pocket and placed it in his mouth. When he inhaled through the plastic cigarette, the tip lit up blue to show that it was on. "I do miss light'n'em though." He mused thoughtfully.

"Mmm mmm. Pastrami. Now I reckon there's a nice sandwich." He said, when Grim handed him one of the sandwiches. "Well, I might's well ask someday, what determines kosher anyways?" Colt sank his teeth into the end of the sandwich.

"Well, I might's well ask someday, what determines kosher anyways?"

"Mmm, well it's a little complicated." She poured a pouch of Crystal Light in her water, shook it up and then took a long swig. "Ahh, that's the good stuff!" She wiped her mouth on the back of her hand, set aside her drink and rubbed her hands. "Okay, so if you really want to know, the rules of kosher, kashrut as well call it, basically fall into two major catagories: what foods you can and cannot eat, and how that food is prepared. Also at Passover the rules get much stricter, to remind us of what the people of Israel endured during the time of slavery."

Lynn took a deep breath and smiled. "You sure you want to hear all this? We had to memorize this stuff in schul, and I could go on and on if you don't stop me."