Characters Name: Faith Martel

Alternate Identity: Seraph

Height: 5'1"

Weight: 110 lbs.

Eyes: Hazel

Hair: Blonde

Description:

Gadget.jpg

History: In the wake of the Terminus Invasion the Martel family moved from France to Freedom City. Faith was born shortly after they got there. Faith was (and still is) a spunky, smart kid with wisdom beyond her years. With her overactive mind she picked up things very quickly. She breezed through her classes short of skipping a grade. She was really enamoured with a few things though. Art in particular, but medicine and social skills became her forte too! It was quickly becoming evident that Faith had picked up the family gift.

The Martel family's history reaches all the way back to Charlemagne and her knights. Their ancestors received psionic powers of all some sort. It does not come with regularity though. Not once "every other generation" or "only the women on the mother's side". It just strikes whenever what seems like fate wants to.

She didn't spend much time with her family growing up. She was much too busy with side projects and friends. Though one person in particular she latched on to: her cousin, Nicholas. He was like a brother and a confidant. They were (and still are) best friends. Being a recipient of the family gift, he took her under his wing when it was found out that she had powers.

Faith's powers were quite obvious to see when they manifested. When she was 15, she and a friend were in a bad accident involving them, a car, and a tree. The car was totalled, but Faith was uninjured. Her friend however was not so lucky. The doctors said she would be a vegetable for the rest of her life. At that moment, fate intervened on both of the girls lives. As Faith sobbed, holding her friend's hand, she begon to glow a silverish hue. Her friend surged forth wakinging up. The girl made an instant recovery!

This did not go unnoticed by her family. Slowly but surely they calmed the girl down and taught her of the family secret. When the powers became less wild, they prepared her for and shipped her off to Claremont Academy. The Martels having their checkbook there didn't hurt the girl's induction any less.

Personality & Motivation: 'Noblesse oblige'. Her family's psionic members are helpers of the people. She is motivated because it's the right thing to do. She is also motivated by achievement. Though she isn't 'hypercompetitive', she is goal oriented. Her parents sent her to Claremont? She's going to do the best she can to make her way through it! She's totally new and doesn't have any friends? That'll change right quick! Her powers are strange and a bit uncontrollable? She will master them! Though she knows there is no I in team, and it shows. She treats everyone with the respect that they deserve. Although she may be a bit of a go-getter, but she remains grounded on earth.

Powers & Tactics: Psionic bio-energy protects her (Enhanced Constitution) and lets her see exactly how a person's health is (Detect Status). She can heal people with a touch (Healing). She's recently found out that she can use her healing energy as a small boost of power too (Boost). Though this strains her body. Her tactics are simple, she's the combat medic. Someone gets her she slaps a heal on them. If no one needs heals she boosts either herself or a friend with a small gift.

Complications:

Bleeding Heart (Faith is a sympathetic soul who would love to help everyone. She lends her ear and advice to anyone who asks for it.)

Secret Identity (Faith goes to Claremont Academy. No one is supposed to know!)

Stats: 0+0+0+10+10+10 = 30pp

Str: 10 (+0)

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 10/30 (+0/+10)

Int: 20 (+5)

Wis: 20 (+5)

Cha: 20 (+5)

Combat: 10+20 = 30pp

Attack: +5, +10 melee

Grapple: +10

Defense: +10 (+5 flat-footed)

Knockback: -5

Initiative: +5

Saves: 0+5+10 = 10pp

Toughness: +0/+10 (+0/+10 Con, +0)

Fortitude: +0/+10 (+0/+10 Con, +0)

Reflex: +0 (+0 Dex, +0)

Will: +15 (+5 Wis, +10)

Skills: 92r = 23pp

Bluff 10 (+15)

Concentration 10 (+15)

Craft (artistic) 15 (+20)

Diplomacy 10 (+15)

Knowledge (art) 15 (+20)

Language 2 (English [base], French, Japanese)

Medicine 10 (+15)

Notice 10 (+15)

Sense Motive 10 (+15)

Feats: 10pp

Attack Focus (melee) 5

Benefit 3 (Wealth 3)

Jack of All Trades

Speed of Thought

Powers: 20+31+1 = 52pp

Enhanced Constitution 20 [20pp]

Psionic Powers Array 15 (Power Feat: Alternate Power 1) [31pp]

BE: Healing 10 (Extra: Total)

AP: Boost 15 (anyone trait at a time; Extra: Total Fade; Flaw: Action/Full, Unreliable [5 charges])

Super-Senses 1 (Detect Status [sight; sees positive/negative conditions]) [1pp]

Drawbacks: 0+0+0 = 0pp

DC Block:

Unarmed -- 15/Toughness -- Damage

Costs: Abilities (30) + Combat (30) + Saves (10) + Skills (23) + Feats (10) + Powers (52) - Drawbacks (00) = 155/158pp

Hair: Hayzel

Hazel :P

Con: 10 (+0)

Why so high mental stats? As durf pointed out previously, a really high Wis may not suit a teenager.

Grapple: +15

Initiative: +0

I've in the past noted a dislike for lots of Attack Focus, but since I've stated 50/50 in the past, it can slide. ;)

Saves: 10+10+5 = 25pp

Toughness: +10 (+0 Con, +10 Protection)

Fortitude: +10 (+0 Con, +10)

Reflex: +10 (+0 Dex, +10)

Will: +10 (+5 Wis, +5)

Why are her saves so uniform? Additionally, why are her Fort and Ref so high despite really average Con and Dex?

Skills: 96r = 24pp

Bluff 15 (+20)

Concentration 15 (+20)

Craft (artistic) 10 (+15)

Diplomacy 15 (+20)

Knowledge (art) 10 (+15)

Language 1 (English [base], French)

Notice 15 (+20)

Sense Motive 15 (+20)

OK, you mentioned great talent with art in the backstory, but you at no point mentioned social skills at that level. Any real justification why a teenager is a world-quality diplomat?

Attack Focus (melee) 5

Benefit 3 (Wealth 3)

Jack of All Trades

Ritualist

Why Ritualist? She has no magical powers, and no Knowledge: Arcane.

Powers: 10+21 = 31pp

Protection 10 [10pp]

Psychometabolism Array 10 (Power Feat: Alternate Power 1) [21pp]

BE: Healing 10

AP: Boost 10 (any one trait; Extra: Total Fade; Flaw: Side Effect 2/Paralyze 10 [Extra: Alternate Save/Fortitude])

I'd appreciate some rationale for the Protection in powers and tactics, and an explanation for it. Also, this seems really limited. If her team-mates are down, she has no capabilities beyond buffing her Strength to 20 (still undercapped offensively) or Healing the damage she takes. Also, as a dedicated healer, she kinda whomps. People like Dark Star have it as a secondary power, and can do it at Range or have the Total extra.

DC Block:

Needs one, even if it's just unarmed.

Ecalsneerg wrote:

Hazel :P

It's worse when you notice her hair is hazel and her eyes are blonde ;) Fixed.

Ecalsneerg wrote:

Quote:

Why so high mental stats? As durf pointed out previously, a really high Wis may not suit a teenager.

Quote:

Why are her saves so uniform? Additionally, why are her Fort and Ref so high despite really average Con and Dex?

Quote:

OK, you mentioned great talent with art in the backstory, but you at no point mentioned social skills at that level. Any real justification why a teenager is a world-quality diplomat?

I've been informed all this can be explained by latent psionics.

Ecalsneerg wrote:

Why Ritualist? She has no magical powers, and no Knowledge: Arcane.

This is Psionics again. She can jury rig and take 10 for 10pp power. It's based off of her Craft (artistic). The reason why she has no arcane lore is because it's a "No Mind" thing. She does it without thinking.

Ecalsneerg wrote:

I'd appreciate some rationale for the Protection in powers and tactics, and an explanation for it. Also, this seems really limited. If her team-mates are down, she has no capabilities beyond buffing her Strength to 20 (still undercapped offensively) or Healing the damage she takes. Also, as a dedicated healer, she kinda whomps. People like Dark Star have it as a secondary power, and can do it at Range or have the Total extra.

She's just starting out. When she gets more and more experienced it'll get better.

Ecalsneerg wrote:

Quote:

DC Block:

Needs one, even if it's just unarmed.

Fixed.

Con: 10 (+0)

Adds up. You never did say how Wis 20 affects her outlook. Remember, Wis 20 is near-peak human, and teenagers aren't usually wise. ;) Maybe shift some into Constitution, since she has 'biological' powers.

Grapple: +15

Initiative: +0

Grapple should be +10.

Saves: 10+10+5 = 25pp

Toughness: +10 (+0 Con, +10 Protection)

Fortitude: +10 (+0 Con, +10)

Reflex: +10 (+0 Dex, +10)

Will: +10 (+5 Wis, +5)

Adds up. Why are her saves so uniform, and so much pp in 'em despite low scores? Her powers would suggest a decent Fort and good Will, but below-par Ref. Also, remember my Con suggestion. 2pp in Con gives 3pp: 1 in Protection, 1 in Fort and 1 in Recovery Bonus.

Bluff 10 (+15)

Concentration 10 (+15)

Diplomacy 10 (+15)

Knowledge (art) 15 (+20)

Medicine 10 (+15)

Notice 10 (+15)

Sense Motive 10 (+15)

Adds up. Why Concentration? None of your powers need it.

Attack Focus (melee) 5

Benefit 3 (Wealth 3)

Jack of All Trades

Ritualist

Adds up. Now, you mentioned using Art rather than Arcane for Ritualist. I don't see an issue with this, however, as that's not standard Ritualist, note it down as such.

Powers: 10+21+1 = 32pp

Protection 10 [10pp]

AP: Boost 10 (any one trait; Extra: Total Fade; Flaw: Side Effect 2/Paralyze 10 [Extra: Alternate Save/Fortitude])

Adds up. Again, the Healing seems stupidly weak for a supposed healer. Like I said, Dark Star outclasses you while doing it as a secondary power, not his main focus.

Super-Senses 1 (Detect Status [sight])

Clarification good. Is this all injuries and negative status effects?

Also a short description in Powers is good.

Adds up. You never did say how Wis 20 affects her outlook. Remember, Wis 20 is near-peak human, and teenagers aren't usually wise. ;) Maybe shift some into Constitution, since she has 'biological' powers.

Done, sorta :P As for the Wisdom, I explained it as she's "wise beyond her years. Think like Morgan Freeman or Whoopi Goldberg when she's being sage. That's how she acts. Yes, as a teenager.

Grapple should be +10.

Done

Adds up. Why are her saves so uniform, and so much pp in 'em despite low scores? Her powers would suggest a decent Fort and good Will, but below-par Ref. Also, remember my Con suggestion. 2pp in Con gives 3pp: 1 in Protection, 1 in Fort and 1 in Recovery Bonus.

Done, sorta.

Adds up. Why Concentration? None of your powers need it.

There are other uses for it :)

Adds up. Now, you mentioned using Art rather than Arcane for Ritualist. I don't see an issue with this, however, as that's not standard Ritualist, note it down as such.

Done.

Adds up. Again, the Healing seems stupidly weak for a supposed healer. Like I said, Dark Star outclasses you while doing it as a secondary power, not his main focus.

She's not absurdly powerful to start out with, maybe she'll be like DS one day :D

Clarification good. Is this all injuries and negative status effects?

Done.

Done.

That in no way answered his question. :P

On a more pertinent note:

I've been informed all this can be explained by latent psionics.

If that's the case, then if/when her psionics get nullified, shouldn't those go down, too? I.e., shouldn't there be some Enhanced Attributes/Saves/Skills, to reflect that some is from her powers?

If that's the case, then if/when her psionics get nullified, shouldn't those go down, too? I.e., shouldn't there be some Enhanced Attributes/Saves/Skills, to reflect that some is from her powers?
It's more a "damage done" deal. As in something enhanced her progress, but she's already got the things down now. So no, they're not enhanced at this point

Con: 10/30 (+0/+10)

Adds up/

Grapple: +10

Initiative: +5

Adds up.

Saves: 0+5+10 = 15pp

Toughness: +10 (+10 Con, +0)

Fortitude: +10 (+10 Con, +0)

Reflex: +5 (+0 Dex, +5)

Will: +15 (+5 Wis, +10)

Adds up. Please list Toughness and Fortitude without the Enhanced Constitution

Bluff 10 (+15)

Concentration 10 (+15)

Diplomacy 10 (+15)

Knowledge (art) 15 (+20)

Medicine 10 (+15)

Notice 10 (+15)

Sense Motive 10 (+15)

Adds up.

Attack Focus (melee) 5

Benefit 3 (Wealth 3)

Jack of All Trades

Speed of Thought

Adds up.

Powers: 20+21+1 = 32pp

Enhanced Constitution 20 [20pp]

Super-Senses 1 (Detect Status [sight])

As Doc points out, you still haven't listed the in-game effect of Detect Status.

Ok powers total to 42 not 32 that needs to be adjusted under the powers entry and at the bottom of the sheet.

Other than that it all looks legit. The notes that follow are merely advice so you know before you get into play. Alot of it has been mentioned in chat but I want to go point by point ahead of time. None of this stands int eh way of your approval but I feel that you should know about these issues.

Attributes: Other than you're wisdom you're not getting your bang for your buck here. You don't have very many int or cha related skills or abilities even with speed of thought taken into account. If you want to be bright and likeable for RP purposes I find that 14-16 is a good range to represent that without spending too many points where they aren't doing you much good.

Combat: Pretty good. you could save points on getting a little dodge focus if you preferred but its not that big a deal in the end.

Saves: You didn't neglect them that's a good thing. If you were feeling squezzed for points a little less will or even ref wouldn't be the end of the world.

Skills: I think you overspent here quite a bit. Concentration is at this point of no use to you and likely won't be. Even if it does become useful you could buy it up at that time. All your other skills are really higher than is generally necessary and in some ways higher than makes sense. Faith is a precocious child, so is Psyche and her PL 11 build has almost half the points devoted to skills as you do. Once again things representing her areas of special interest and primarily existing as RP skills being in the 1-5 range is a good representation you have them at rank 15. Even skills she doesn't have as a special interest are very high 9-12 is expert in the field IE diplomacy a professional diplomat would be in the 4-8 range in general you're in high school and are in the range of someone who's one of the best in the field.

Feats: Pretty good Jack of all trades does help your high stats be more useful.

Powers: Good. Your array right now however is anemic. Your heal isn't total so being that high does it very little good and its still a full round action. You have one other power in it and that's a boost that can be very debilitating to use if you don't do well on the save. I can't help but think you would be better served by a slightly larger and more robust array of Psycho-metabolism powers. I realize you intend to use boost to get yourself towards combat caps where you can and that's good but I think even a few extra points in your array would drastically change how effective you are in play.

Again this is all just advice. Alot of which I'm sure you've heard already but I wanted to make sure you see where things might give you trouble both as you go forward with the character and as you look to building other characters. In the end it really seems that she does nothing exceptionally well without even managing to be very broad based. If that's what you want to play however I'll approve it as soon as you fix that math error I mentioned at the top.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...