Holy Meeting (IC)

"He has a place and purpose to what he is now. It is not an affliction," As it was clearly a missunderstanding, Phantom forced her fists to unclench. She floated forward, her cloak still writhing angrily over and through the pews with her movement but her posture wasn't aggressive. Stopping about halfway up the aisle, she switched back to English for the ears of the surrounding motley of heroes. This time her tone was dry, "I apologize for my tardy welcome. I was dealing with... other matters. Prime has not had a visitation of the Angeloi in quite some time. To what do we owe this honor?"

"I have been dispatched by Those Above as Ambassador," said Heyzel simply, radiating calm and confidence in a sharp contrast to Taylor's internal stress. "Heaven will no longer allow Earth to suffer the machinations of the Adversary unassisted, nor will it allow faith, hope, and justice to go unaided in this world. The wisdom of the Creator has not yet been forgotten, nor shall it be now that I'm here." He smiled. "As for myself, to walk among the Created has long been my greatest dream."

"Well, that's mighty considerate of Him," Dead Head said in a clearly mocking tone, "though it would've been nice if He'd decided to do that, oh, say, two months earlier!"

Back in his living days, Dead Head had been raised Baptist, so he'd given Heyzel some leeway -- either he was an angel come down to help, or a metahuman who was patterning himself after an angel. But the more he thought about it, the less comfortable he felt about him. Not for any personal reasons -- all the times he'd died, he never saw any tunnel of light or heard any choirs of angels singing him up to the Pearly Gates -- but for what their existence meant for humanity at large.

"Or in '93, during the Terminus Invasion!," the clearly irritated revenant continued, "or during those big World Wars! Why now, and not then?"

One would think that finding a flying man with a flaming sword would have been relatively easy. Considering the tizzy he stirred up, she figured she had lots of time to introduce herself later. Fulcrum discovered sometimes life throws you a curve ball. Just like his initial appearance, the giantess was always one step behind ‘Freedom Angel’. Thus she decided to stop beating around the burning bush and go straight to the source: St. Stephen’s Church.

Fulcrum wouldn’t call herself an investigator by any stretch of the imagination. Her crime scene and detective skills largely consisted of NCIS and Discovery Channel shows. Still a nagging feeling in the back of her mind compelled her to learn more about this Heyzel. Privately she wasn’t one to second guess people, but at the same time, he appeared to be a nice enough guy, especially considering the newspaper reports. Her better nature though hoped he was on the up-and-up.

Thus Centurion 2.0, as the conservative Daily Herald mocked, came to a soft landing in front of ye ol church. No sooner had she landed than a raised voice drifted into her ears. Ever the observant type, the keyword ‘Terminus’ carried her inside and into the proceedings. At which point she skidded to a halt and blinked.

Angels. Zombie. Incredibly beautiful woman. Creepy witch woman. Gonna be a good day.

For a few moments it had looked like the impromptu gathering here would descend into violence, but just as Mongrel was about to step up and try to diffuse the situation it all calmed down more or less on its own. Which did leave a window in which she might introduce herself, which was promptly filled by the zombie and his rather understandable question.

"I believe that unfortunately the answer lies within what has been called 'The Ineffable Plan', and the Pact made by Simon Magus is probably a factor." While she talked she was rather glad that Moira was holding her hand, the redheads presence was certainly, reassuring. And then she noticed yet another new arrival. "Well, before this goes any further may I suggest that some introductions might be in order? I'm generally called Mongrel Angel. Anyone else feel like introducing themselves?"

"Phantom," The cloaked figure provided with a touch of impatience to her tone. "Although I am also known in some circles as the Chosen of Heshem. I guard the barriers between the worlds."

Not for the first time, Phantom rather thought that sounded a good deal more glamorous than it actually was. Biting back a sigh at the presence of an audience that would no doubt slow down this morning's interview, Phantom sternly reminded herself that a good half of these were her friends and that none of them had the understanding of interdimensional politics that she did.

"Because the choice to send an envoy was no doubt made with as much gravity and debate as the choice to withdraw over two thousand years ago." Phantom provided in a less combative tone as she provided part of the Angel's responses, "And it was no doubt influenced by many of those events. This is not the first time the Angeloi have aided Prime, just the first official delegation which, as they don't try to wriggle around the Pact like other Outsiders do, also takes no small amount of effort to be managed. To put it in mundane terms, they had to get a visa approved rather than sneak in when the border guard wasn't looking. The Angeloi don't do that. For which I have no small measure of appreciation, I might add."

The last was directed at the angel himself.

When another moment of silence descended, "Fulcrum. I'm here to speak to the angel, or angels, too. Nice to meet you all," said Fulcrum quickly, feeling oddly out of place. She gave everyone a small wave and sat down on the edge of a pew.

If she was going to uphold her New Year's Resolution, she best meet-and-greet while she could. Phantom aside no one in the room was familiar. Even Phantom she couldn't really call an acquaintance, although her distinctive appearance lingered in Fulcrum's mind from the Invasion. Which only peaked her interest in Dead Head's question and Heyzel's answer.

More people? This was starting to look like a giant powwow, but not in a bad way. Though Moira's plans for a heart-to-heart with the angel were pretty much shot now. She didn't mind. The faces she knew and would get to know would make up for it. Maybe one day she would have her conversation.

When Mongrel Angel suggested everyone introduce themself, Moira nodded and waited for everyone politely. "[divine]My name is Moira. I'm just here for the free poster,[/divine]" she chuckled. "[divine]No, I think we're all here for the same reason,[/divine]" she smiled to the angel, "[divine]We just all happened to congregate at the same.[/divine]"

"The forces of Entropy were repulsed," said Freedom Angel to Dead Head gently. "As was the demonic army that closed upon this city some months ago, and as were all the other threats that have beset this place. Creation holds places where the forces of righteousness stand in ruins and where darkness runs o'er the land; it is they who might cry out to Heaven for justice. Freedom City has had protectors since before the arrival of humans. Many of them have joined the ranks of the Heavenly Host." It would have been so easy, there, to confess the long absence of the Creator. The Maker of All Things has chosen to abandon Creation, so that His agents were forced to debate amongst each other before sending a representative to Earth.

"As for my station here, the world of Prime is vast. I chose Freedom City to begin my mission because so much of the world revolves around this single axis. And because this is a populace unafraid of a champion in the sky, come to lead them away from the dangers of the world. Unfortunately," he admitted. "that has left some of them...jaded." He smiled at Fulcrum, looking almost paternal. "But many others have enough grace in their soul to recognize the righteousness of my mission, even as they answer it with the righteousness of their own hearts."

Fulcrum listened carefully to the introductions and explanations. That...well...'zombie' honestly seemed the best way to describe him...had a legitimate question. She shared many of his reservations concerning Heyzel, both on a practical and cosmological level. Which was why she was really waiting to hear from the angel again. His answer was disappointing. Despite her persona and occupation, she was a fairly skeptical person and his reply sounded little more than empty rhetoric. Still his demeanor came across rather sweet, if a little arrogant and self righteous.

Fulcrum smiled warmly back to him and glanced at Dead Head, wondering what the fellow had to say. When the old church fell into silence once more, Fulcrum cleared her throat. She looked down in thought a moment, then sat up straighter, "Not to preempt this gentleman," she said, trying to be diplomatic, "but you didn't really answer his questions. You stated the obvious, strung together some loaded religious words and I'm not even sure how many fallacies you included."

"Several people in this room, myself included, would be very interested in knowing more specifics about this mission of yours and how you came to be here now," she ended, motioning to the group, particularly Phantom and Dead Head.

Mentally she made a note to talk to Phantom later and learn more about The Pact. Now obviously wasn't a good time.

"If thou wishes to test the truth of my words, young woman," said the angel with a nascent heat in his eyes, "I am at your disposal." He paused, seemed to take a breath, and added, "As for the rest of you, there is only so much I can say. The infinite wisdom of the Creator is beyond the ken of mortals and angels alike." Which was certainly true, even if the full implications of it weren't something he liked to dwell on. "I prefer to let my deeds speak as plainly as my words."

"He did answer the questions asked, to the best of his ability." Phantom said with a touch of impatience. She was long used to the verbal dancing of outsiders, "The thing with any faith, or enlightenment, or whathaveyou, is any answers given to you are meaningless. If you are given it as fact, there is no belief. It takes no strength to believe in something you know to be true, and gives nothing but hollow righteousness. Anything that purports to be able to provide you with all the answers is lying. Most likely for their own gain."

She turned her cool gaze back to the angel, her tone a warning, "That said, I would remind you that even if you gather a cult well meaningly, it is still a violation of the Pact. I'm sure you have no intent to set yourself up for worship."

Freedom Angel looked appalled, but not angry, his wings flaring up behind him like a startled bird. Evidently this was something he'd expected, even if he wasn't very happy to hear it."Never would I make of myself a cult. That would be an abomination in the eyes of Heaven and the Creator. There is but one faith, Chosen of Heshem, and ne'er would I violate its tenets. You may take my word as an ambassador of the Hereafter."

"'Ambassador of the Hereafter?'," the zombie repeated. "I thought that was my shtick!"

Dead Head had been shifting back and forth and side-to-side on his feet while the others talked and an answer to his question was eventually (if somewhat obtusely) given.

"Well, can't say I'm exactly thrilled with yer answer... but, if'n she vouches for ya," he said, nodding to Phantom, "then I guess yer okay."

He extended his right hand to the angel, "Welcome to Freedom City!"

(Yes, DH's hand will detach if Freedom Angel shakes it.)

Nice going, Mona. Start a holy war why don't ya.

Fulcrum didn't mean to come off as confrontational. The tone and error list were completely off. Oh well, live and learn. Hopefully defusing the situation and saving face were still within the realm of possibility. After all she came down here to befriend the angel first, not interrogate him. Questions, be they practical or philosophical, were for later.

She calmly cocked an eyebrow at Heyzel's veiled reply, having suddenly learned a great deal about the angel. Hesitation stalled her response, and Phantom expounded her expertise. Unfortunately the response was one of the craziest things she had ever heard, and it showed on her face as glassy-eyed shock. Thankfully the dead guy (was he really dead?) saved the day with far more tact and humor than she possessed.

Standing up, she waited to shake Heyzel's hand after Dead Head, "Yes, welcome to Freedom City. If you need anything don't hesitate to ask." His unsubstantiated certainty in his mythology still grated on her, but she'd be darned if she was going to keep that bias from stopping her from being friendly. He was a hero after all.

But if that hand detached, she just stared. Stared.

Moira was relieved to have everything back to friendly vibes again. Everybody's happy, no one's getting banished, all is well! Moira watched happily as the line in front of the angel accumulated. Well, she didn't get to talk to him, though she did get to interact with a great amount of people. She wondered if she'd ever see them around again. She knew she'd see Taylor and the beautiful dark angel again, but what about the giant paragon? The zombie? The angel she came to see here in the first place? Before she left she would meet with all of them. Well, not now. This was the angel's moment.