It's a Jungle Out There (IC)

Erin had made the run through the portal with everyone else, one slowpoke prole tucked under her arm, but she didn't seem to be paying much attention in the aftermath. Arms folded tightly against her chest, she stood off to one side and glared intimidatingly at her own shoes. She knew, she knew she shouldn't believe anything Steelgrave had said to her, that he had no more reason to tell her the truth than James had when he was freshly back from hell. It was a weak spot, and anyone who knew about it would certainly try to exploit it. But she couldn't help wondering anyway.

The things he'd said certainly seemed to put the clincher on the theory that Omega had had something to do with the virus that had wiped out her world. Was there more to the story than that, as Steelgrave had insinuated? Who or what was Friendly, and what did it have to do with her? Even if she wanted to follow up on those questions, she wasn't sure who she'd ask. For now, she was more than ready to just get back to Prime and be done with this place.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh, I'm not the leader. Edge is," Psyche replied distractedly. Her gaze swept over her team, noting everyone's physical and emotional states with a faint frown on her brow. After she was convinced no one was in dire need of urgent attention, she swung her hazel eyes back to the gentleman asking the question, "Thank you, but we'll be alright. Nothing we can't handle."

She said the last with quiet confidence in the abilities of her friends. Psyche turned and pressed her hand against Phalanx's chest, forcing his invulnerable skin to heal over the canon's blast before she held out a hand to Edge, saying gently, "Want me to fix up your costume for you?"

James continued to search his memory, as well as letting his dimensional senses roam. The portals needed to be closed. That was key.

Still, he wandered over to stand near Erin. He hadn't heard everything the evil nut had been yelling at her. But he'd heard enough to figure out Erin probably wasn't exactly comfortable at the moment. He kept his voice down to keep from being overheard. She didn't need her 'issues' brought out to bear in front of everyone. "Hey. How are you holding up?"

Erin leveled her glare on James for a moment before remembering to modulate her expression to something more neutral. "I'm fine," she told him, deliberately unfolding her arms and affecting a more normal posture. "He didn't even get a hit in on me. I don't know how he knew where I come from, but he was just full of hot air." She was quiet for a moment, looking around, then murmured, "Do you think your dimensional guardian friend might know stuff about the Terminus?"

He didn't flinch at her stare. It was intense, and he had little doubt she could hurt him quite a bit if he stayed around and let her. He had faith in her. Besides, he'd been beaten before. He almost smiled at her 'relaxed' posture. He doubted it'd fool anyone for more than a few moments. But at least she was trying. And not lashing out. That was good too.

James nodded a little, keeping his voice just as low. "Probably. When we get back, we can go talk to her. Or would you like me to?" He doubted Erin wanted to be alone with Phantom. Erin's hazy dimensional refugee background and Phantom's explicit job probably didn't make Wander all to comfortable. He wouldn't just leave her alone for that meeting. And if she didn't want to at all, he'd give her that out. Not that he really knew exactly what she wanted to ask anyway.

Eventually negotiations were made and plans laid out, a still-shell shocked Edge joining the White Lion in negotiating with the locals and the visitors. The proles had utterly no interest in returning to the Terminus, each unhesitatingly offering to die instead when the supposition was made. But the wars with the Lizard People had left the villagers in need of new manpower, and the survivors of the Terminus all had experience living in difficult conditions. With the deal made and the heroes assembled, they headed back together with their injured ally and battered leader in tow, making the short walk back to the Lost World portal before stepping through. On the other side was the UNISON team with congratulations for all, though hard questions remained for some.