Nearer Than You Think (IC)

The guy is laying it on a little thick. Fulcrum gave Heyzel a friendly smile and small wave. Concern tugged at the corners of her mouth though. His answer to the brightly dressed woman had bothered her. Glancing around the pews, she found herself among the few with a troubled expression. Still a special, interactive performance was nice even if she didn't agree with message. Someone had obviously went all out on his costume and wings too. She took a deep breath and scanned through the program. New perspectives were another reason she was here after all.

Of course certain key variables were missing from her assessment. Like the facts that the man had appeared in a flash of light and flew around on those little wings. Or the fact that he apparently believed every word that came out of his mouth. About the time the young man confessed, Fulcrum closed the program.

"Hmm...," was all she managed when Heyzel summoned his flaming sword. Okay, now that was spectacular. She sat up straight and leaned on the pew in front of her.

Mike bobbed his head and waved awkwardly at Alexs introduction not entirely certain what exactly the appropriate response was to meeting an Angel. When Quark took the stand and explained his problem his mouth dropped open in shock, after the invasion he of course realized that demons and whatnot were quite real but to hear that someone he passed in the halls had actually lost thier soul to one was shocking indeed.

As Heyzeal contradicted his classmate Mike grew somewhat more comfortable but still uncertain how this woudl all go down he looked to Alex questioningly, 'Please say he's not going for smiteing. I don't even want to think about havign to fight an angel.'

'I don't think so.' Alex opinioned thoughtfully, but she released his hand and floated up to make certain that she had line of sight on their classmate and his angel companion. 'Its probably mostly psychological, you know. Make certain he repents and all that but if he attacks, I'll shield our classmate while you keep the angel busy. Once he's safe, I'll call in the team'

Alex pinned the angel with a piercing look.

Fulcrum's eyes narrowed as Psyche rose above the pew. Focusing back on the angel, her body tensed unconsciously but did her best to look calm. Something was definitely wrong here. She honestly didn't know what exactly was off, but best not to take any chances. Popping her neck, one part of her didn't want a brawl, but the other was looking forward to matching off against this guy.

Still what was his angle? Was this some amazing performance? Was that technicolor fellow part of the act, or was he mesmerized? Or most troubling, was this 'angel' really some sort of supernatural being? All these questions and no answers were forthcoming. Suddenly Fulcrum felt really out of the loop.

Heyzel raised the flaming sword high...and tapped Darian on first one shoulder, then the other. "Rise, my friend, and know that you are free." He extended his hand to Darian, clasping it warmly. "You have a long journey ahead of you. But if you walk in the path of the One Above, you shall never fall." He turned at that to the spellbound congregation, eyes sweeping over everyone, especially the watchful young superheroes. Good. This place had guardians beyond him. It was going to be a very merry Christmas. "Go now, my friends, and embrace those you love as yourselves!" Some in the congregation listened, but others didn't, and soon once again the angel was surrounded by a small group of people with many questions.

Mike visibly tensed and relaxed as the blade made its gentle descent. Once it was clear Darrien was in no danger from the angel he turned to Alex, 'So you have any more questions?' he inquired silently with a glance towards the crowded dais. When the angel had first appeared he had thought he would want to know all sorts of answers. All the vagueries of the bible put to rest, his own nagging doubts as well but as he saw the crowd gather he realized that real or not the angels answers were no more valid than those he found himself. He was curious about why he had come here and now but that too would likely become clear in time.

Alex floated back down to him, bracing her hands on his shoulders and letting Mike actually set her on the ground. She still felt shakey enough flying that she didn't really want to risk carreening into the crowds or one of the pews. Plus, it was a nice feeling to be picked up and set safely on the ground. She slipped under his arm as she shook her head and started gathering her things up, "No, I think that I've gotten the ones that I needed. There's so many more people here who need comfort than me."

Fulcrum visibly relaxed and leaned back in the pew. Resting her arms over the top, she watched the swarm descend upon the angelic man. While the tension drained away physically, her mind was still fair from at ease. Something still felt very wrong about this entire situation, but honestly she didn't have enough information to draw an informed conclusion.

The reaction of the congregation was telling. That was one of the main reasons she remained seated and observing. In any case best not to interrupt the new festivities. This Christmas eve looked to one for the papers. That much was for certain.

I love Freedom City.

It feels like a load just fell off of Darian's shoulders. With a gasp and a starry-eyed stare he looks at the angel. It was an experience that he would not soon forget. Though it still feels like something is tugging there. Will it go away? Is there more to do? Who knows? Only time will tell.