Pressing Concerns [IC]

alderwitch

Stesha kissed him back, resting her fingers lightly against his cheek as she looked up at him. "I have too," she told him. "With everything that's happened these past couple months, it's made me think about a lot of things. About the two of us." She smiled, running her thumb over the corner of his mouth. "I know I love you. And I think I've probably made it pretty clear what my ideal long-term plans are, old-fashioned or not. Have you made any decisions about what you want to do, where you want to be?"

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derrick nodded. "I love you as well. And I want to be with you. But I'm not going to age. Not to mention, my 'job', though calling is probably a better term, is not something I'm going to give up I think. Too many people need help here on Earth and elsewhere in the galaxy will always need help. I love you more than anything but I don't think I can give that up. And I don't know if that's going to be ok with you in ten or twenty years. Or even if you've thought about being with me for that long when I won't change. I won't ever leave you but it might be hard for you. And how will that affect any kids we have? Assuming you still want them?" It was clear that he had been spending quite a bit of time on this particular train of thought. "I don't know and it's a rather big thing, or group of things, to accept. I just want to make you happy."

She tucked his hair behind his ear for him, still studying his face. "Derrick, I fell in love with you knowing who you are and what you do. And I'm really happy that you spend more time on Earth now, and with me, because being with you makes me happy. But I know you have to do what you do, and that sometimes that's going to mean we're apart and you're far away.

"And who knows what's going to happen in ten or twenty years?" she added with a shrug. "If the past few months have taught me anything, it's that we don't even really know what's coming tomorrow, no matter how we try to plan. You may have to watch me grow old someday, or one of us could be gone in the next big fight." She smiled. "We wouldn't have become heroes if we minded a little risk, right?"

He nodded. "Doesn't mean I want to see you risk or suffer; especially because of me. I do try to stay around Earth more. Even get back to you here almost every night. Not trying to sound needy; I just like being around you is all. And I'm willing to be here to see what happen in twenty years. Or more. Happily." He smiled and gave her a quick peck on her nose. "So...how many kids do you want anyway?"

Stesha grinned, the corners of her eyes crinkling up. "Not six," she said with utmost assurance. "I decided that about ten Christmases with my family ago." She returned the kiss, just brushing his lips with her own. "I don't think I could handle that, even with superpowers. How would you feel about two with an option for three? That seems just about right."

He blinked. "Six? Are they starting a j'dali team or something? I think two's good. It's nice to have a sibling or two." He paused in thought. "I think I might have to get a job first though. Or at least start saving up some money. Kids are expensive or so I've heard." Technically, he did have a job. Two actually. And practically no expenses. But most of that money went to his sister-in-law and her kids and the bulk of the remainder went to charities. He could cheat and just bring stuff from off world to sell/make money but he wouldn't risk doing that. Who knew what effect that would have on the Earth's economy and technologies. He'd just have to do it the old fashioned way. Sort of.

That drew a laugh from Stesha. "No, my mom just really likes babies, a lot. Luckily my brothers and sisters and I still turned out pretty much okay." She tousled his hair fondly with her fingers as he started worrying again. "Hey, it's not like we're in a big hurry here. I'm not pregnant, remember? We're not even engaged yet, come to that. I'm twenty-four, you're immortal, more or less, we've got plenty of time. And I make decent money, too. A little saving, a little planning, and we'll just never let our kids watch commercials on television."

He smiled down at her and chuckled. "True. We've got plenty of time. Still something for me to think about though. I wouldn't want you to be stuck with a lazy, loafing spouse. Letting you pick up all the bills while I...what do lazy spouses do anyway?" It also got him thinking. Marriage. He loved her and it did seem the next step. Though they'd only been dating for less than six months. Was that too soon to propose? Well, not for Taylor and Jack obviously. And how would he propose? He'd have to think about this some more too...

"Well, you could be a househusband," she said teasingly, "cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kids... could be a problem when you suddenly had to fly off to the other end of the universe with a baby carrier in tow, though. And when I get out on my own for work, I can do some of it from home anyway. I think it's probably another bridge to cross as we come to it." Stesha laid her head on his shoulder and smiled, enjoying the game of hypotheticals. Sure, none of it might ever happen, but it sounded awfully good. And after nearly losing him hardly more than a month ago, it was reassuring to have a chance to think about a happy future. "But I'm not worried. I'll kick your butt back into shape if you ever become a lazy, shiftless energy being, just floating around the house with a beer," she laughed.

Derrick chuckled. The sheer impossibility of all of those things just couldn't be corrected. But it was funny nonetheless. "TV. I'm pretty sure they watch lots of TV. Right? And football. I know there's still lots of that. I suppose I'll have to figure out a beer that I like," he said with a smile. He actually liked the idea of spending decades with her. Maybe not as a rounded lazy energy being, but still. "So, how are those plans for your own business coming? If you're going to support us and all," he said with a smile.

After getting back to the apartment with several long hours of fidgiting to go before seeing the doctor, Taylor had retreated to her library. Although there were several tomes spread across the heavy cherry wood desk, Taylor wasn't actually looking at any of them. She doubted that Jack was getting any more work done in his office than she was in hers but by mutual silent agreement, they had both retreated with the hope of finding some successful distraction.

Sitting back in her chair, Taylor pulled her phone out of her pocket and quickly dialed Stesha's number. Updating her friend would be something at least she could do.

Stesha laughed, disengaging to go sit down on the couch and start squeezing her hair dry with a towel. It was a long process. "Still just in the planning stages, I'm afraid. You'll have to wait awhile longer for me to be able to keep you in the style to which you're accustomed. But if I keep making contacts and getting satisfied customers, it might be just a couple-" She paused as her phone rang, picking it up off the table. "It's Taylor," she told Derrick, "I need to take this." Flipping open the phone she said, "Hey, how's it going?"

"It's going," Taylor said, her voice subdued. The thick leather chair behind the desk creaked under her weight as she dropped into it, elbows coming down on some truely ancient tomes. "Jack swears he didn't think I cheated on him but I'm not sure I believe him. He's moved on to being horrified at the possible existance of a dhampir instead. Archevielle's made time for us tonight so I'm just killing time until then researching necromancy."

Derrick sat on the couch nearby with a smile. He enjoyed watching her, even if it was something mundane like drying her hair. He looked up as her phone rang and nodded in response. He could wait patiently until they knew what was going on. And he didn't bother asking Stesha to tell Taylor they were there for the couple. It was a given. But he was curious and concerned as well as wanting to help, just doing his best to not show it.

"Do you need any help?" Stesha asked, repressing the question of what a dhampir was for the moment. It didn't seem like anything good, if it could horrify even Jack. "I've got Derrick over right now, we could come and lend you a hand, or I could at least if he's got to go back to work." It would be interesting trying to finesse an afternoon off so shortly after the craziness of planning the wedding reception, but florists were suckers for drama. She was sure she could come up with a severely edited version of the story that would satisfy her coworkers. "Or if you need some lunch or anything. I know you didn't get very much for breakfast." Under the circumstances, it seemed impolitic to remind her that she was eating for two.

"All right, if you're sure," Stesha replied, still sounding concerned. "But if you need anything, or just want to talk, let me know. We want to be, you know, here for you, whatever you need." The thing with Derrick was a funny story that Taylor would probably enjoy hearing about later, but now didn't seem the best time to share it. Some things were more funny with a little retrospective distance. "Is Jack there with you?"

"I'm sure. I'll be best left to my own devices for a few hours. Jack's in the apartment, he's just over in his office. We're both burying into work, I think. There's certainly plenty of that." Taylor added the last wryly. Her voice softened and she added, "I appreciate it, Stesha, and I promise I'll call back when I know what's going on. Or if I need anything. Thank you."

And before Taylor could disolve into tears again and ensure the plant controller crawing out of her desk plant, she said a quick goodbye and hung up the phone.

Stesha closed the phone and looked at it for a moment, debating whether or not she should take Taylor at her word. It was tempting just to go over there and make sure things were all right, or even to just take a tiny peek through the plants... No, that would be going beyond what friendship allowed. And maybe Taylor did just need some time to herself. She shouldn't be eating too much Chinese food though, it was so salty! That was also a concern for another day, though.

Setting aside the phone, she looked at Derrick. "Taylor says she's doing all right, and she'll call us if she needs anything. So I guess for now, we just wait until she does." She looked towards the clock. "I'm not on till 1, want to go catch a movie or something?"

Derrick nodded. He hoped, no he was sure, it would all work out even if he knew it was likely a ridiculously stressful time for their friends. "It seems that's all we can do." He nodded at Stesha with a smile. He had 8 million things he should be doing, from patrolling the city to patrolling Earth to patrolling space not to mention things like his work with the SCC that he cut short. But still... how often did he take time off, just for her? Not nearly enough. "Whatever you like. Movies are fine. I'm yours for the day. Or to whenever you have to work," he said, kissing her cheek.

"Sounds great," Stesha told him, her mood lifting a little as she gave him a quick hug. "We can catch the matinee before I have to go in, take our minds off things." She took his hand, reaching out for the plant that would move them to her favorite secluded tree near the movie theatre. "I have no idea what's playing, but we can always sit in the back and make out." She winked at him, then whisked both of them away. She'd have to clean up the mess at home later.