Shoggoth on the Roof (IC)

Lone Star

"She had to be as good at getting into things as Houdini was at getting out of them," Breakdown replied wryly. "And with heels like those, I hope she can fly!"

"I'd be glad to give you a tour, KC. Here, write this number down. Both of you, actually. It's the radio frequency that I constantly monitor in my head. It's pretty helpful being able to hear the radio without a receiver. You call me on that frequency, and I'll come running."

"Cool!" KC said as he wrote the number on the side of a book he pulled out of his pocket. The book was mystical in origin, and it hurt one's head to look at the charts and diagrams inside. "I can figure something out to talk to you, maybe I have some radios at my old place. "A tour sounds like a great idea. When are you free next?"

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Anytime you want, KC. Barring acts of super villains of course," Breakdown said. His wink was unfortunately obscured by his visor.

"The funny thing is five years ago I would never have imagined knowing someone that could monitor radio bands in his head."

"Yeah, definitely flight. My feet hurt just looking at them. Never understood that or the tight ones." she chuckled. Moving on to other costumes, "So you're a member of Young Freedom, Breakdown? What are they like?"

"I'm guessing five years ago is when you got your powers?" Breakdown asked, wondering how old the heroine really was. Never ask a lady her age. He thought to himself.

"Young Freedom's a great crew. We have our super serious members like Phalanx and Psyche, and then we have the jokers, like Geckoman and myself. And no team would be complete without a fearless leader. Ours is Edge. Hellion and Zephyr make up the support for the team. Well, really, I'm support too. If there's a job they need doing that no one else can tackle, chances are I can come up with something. It's just the nature of my powers." Breakdown said with a shrug. "All in all, a well oiled machine."

"Pretty much. You two make me feel old. I'm pushing 30 this year. Haven't aged a day I can tell," she trailed off while fiddling with her phone.

Pocketing the phone, she shot Breakdown a wry grin, "Geckoman, huh? I've met him before. Joker is a good way of describing him. Good guy but I worry about his ship. Little flaky. Sounds like a solid team though. Really does. My philosophy is that you need a good mix of personalities and abilities to really get the most bang for your buck. Are you planning on going pro after graduation?"

In more ways than one! Breakdown wished he could promote his music while in costume.

"You could say that. I'm definitely not getting OUT of the hero biz, but, well let's just say it's not all life has to offer."

"Thirty, huh? I never would have guessed. You don't look a day older than 22 if you ask me." Breakdown added with a sly grin.

He turned to Kid Cthulhu, "So you said you weren't in school anymore? Did you drop out or something?"

"Flatterer," Fulcrum quipped before falling silent. Frankly, she was curious to learn more about KC. Breakdown too. Breakdown seemed a little more forthcoming, so she was content to let Breakdown tease the information from the other young hero. Not to mention talking to a guy about the same age probably helped.

Otherwise she browsed costumes. Something unconscious tugged her back to the Invasion Room, but not strongly enough to register in the conscious mind. Thankfully the suits were both inventive and colorful. At least these newer ones. Best to leave that leather one in the past.

In more ways than one! Breakdown wished he could promote his music while in costume.

"You could say that. I'm definitely not getting OUT of the hero biz, but, well let's just say it's not all life has to offer."

"Thirty, huh? I never would have guessed. You don't look a day older than 22 if you ask me." Breakdown added with a sly grin.

He turned to Kid Cthulhu, "So you said you weren't in school anymore? Did you drop out or something?"

"More or less. I already knew the stuff they were teaching me, so I don't show up anymore. I sold some of my work to get an apartment for myself, and I'm living off of that. Does Claremont have dorms? It is kind of a crappy apartment, I mean, art doesn't sell for all that much, to be honest."

"I know where you're coming from there, KC," commented Fulcrum. She didn't say anything more, still waiting to get more details from the young man.

Still she couldn't help but think about her own fortunes. Art was a difficult career and rarely a stable one. Fame, fortune and popularity were fleeting things in the art world. She smiled to herself. At the very least the whole starving artist stage had been relatively painless for her. Although it sounded like KC was still working through that himself.

"Yea. Claremont actually works just like a boarding school." Breakdown replied. "My parents have a house in town too, but I don't really stay there. I live at school most of the year."

"What kind of art do you make?"

"I like to paint. I used a lot of watercolor and acrylic, but oil is nice too. There's just a lot of ideas that spring into my head, and demand to be drawn. Either that or I'm crazy. Maybe both."

"Well, you already know my forte." Breakdown shrugged, "Though in my opinion, I think music can be just as visual as any other form of art. It's not just an auditory thing to me. Hearing music lets me picture things."

An amusing idea occured to him then. With a laugh he asked, "Did you ever try painting anything that came from your iTunes visualizer?"

"What about you, Fulcrum? Didn't you say you did some art too?"

Having drifted off a moment, Fulcrum started and turned to the two, "Oh, yeah, I'm a professional artist. I'd like to say my oil and watercolor paintings, the whole 'fine art' thing, was my forte, but really I'm a graphic designer and illustrator," she smirked ruefully, "Although really I do prefer illustration work a lot more. Just landed a gig doing the interior art for the comic Typhoon. I'm really stoked about that." She stopped a moment and eyed another costume, adding a little vaguely, "Plus I publish some of my original work too."

Those attuned to pop culture may have heard of the adventure comic Typhoon. Equal parts Indiana Jones, Jack Sparrow and The Man with No Name, the titular character was a fictional heroine zooming around circa 1970s trying to save the world. She originally was a successful indie comic before being bought up by Castle Comics and relegated to D-list status until receiving her own book last year. The fan base was small but vocal.

Having drifted off a moment, Fulcrum started and turned to the two, "Oh, yeah, I'm a professional artist. I'd like to say my oil and watercolor paintings, the whole 'fine art' thing, was my forte, but really I'm a graphic designer and illustrator," she smirked ruefully, "Although really I do prefer illustration work a lot more. Just landed a gig doing the interior art for the comic Typhoon. I'm really stoked about that." She stopped a moment and eyed another costume, adding a little vaguely, "Plus I publish some of my original work too."

Those attuned to pop culture may have heard of the adventure comic Typhoon. Equal parts Indiana Jones, Jack Sparrow and The Man with No Name, the titular character was a fictional heroine zooming around circa 1970s trying to save the world. She originally was a successful indie comic before being bought up by Castle Comics and relegated to D-list status until receiving her own book last year. The fan base was small but vocal.

"Typhoon? I've heard it mentioned before. You're the artist? Very impressive, I must say."

"I read comic books when I can afford them. Hey, you'll have to buy me the first issue when it comes out." KC said coyly. "Do you have any paintings you could show us?"

"Typhoon, huh?" Breakdown put his head back and gazed at the ceiling, momentarily lost in thought. "That's ahhh...That's the one with pirates, archeology, and cowboys all rolled into one. Didn't that start in the 70's? Castle Comics, right? Hearing Breakdown re-iterate almost exactly what she was thinking was quite the eerie experience. Clearly, he knew his stuff. "The fans of that thing are always supportive. They talk about it all the time. What part of the interior are you gonna be doing? Characters? Backgrounds?" Breakdown continued, his thirst for pop-culture knowledge never satisfied.

"Spoken like a true smartass," Fulcrum joked, "Or budding artist. But sure, I'll try to nab you both a copy." When Breakdown started zipping off facts about the comic, she just stopped and listened to him in shock. Considering that the comic geek in her had only heard the name before submitting samples, Breakdown's knowledge of comic fandom was impressive indeed.

"Characters and layouts. They gave me a blank check to redesign the characters. I really didn't change much. 'Don't mess with perfection' or so they say," she replied while flipping through her phone again. Finally she offered the small screen up to the two, "This isn't from Typhoon, but its my current style."

"Yeah, sure, KC. I have a studio down by the docks. That's why I was in the neighborhood."

"Spoken like a true smartass," Fulcrum joked, "Or budding artist. But sure, I'll try to nab you both a copy." When Breakdown started zipping off facts about the comic, she just stopped and listened to him in shock. Considering that the comic geek in her had only heard the name before submitting samples, Breakdown's knowledge of comic fandom was impressive indeed.

"Characters and layouts. They gave me a blank check to redesign the characters. I really didn't change much. 'Don't mess with perfection' or so they say," she replied while flipping through her phone again. Finally she offered the small screen up to the two, "This isn't from Typhoon, but its my current style."

"Yeah, sure, KC. I have a studio down by the docks. That's why I was in the neighborhood."

KC looks at the screen. "Wow! I'm officially impressed. I was mostly joking about not having the money to buy comics...Ramen noodles make a very healthy dinner for the young artist. Could we go see your studio?"

As a boy, Blake was always going with his parents to their artsy friend's house to examine their work and exchange comments or critiques. It was exciting for him, even now. Breakdown's knowledge of popular culture was impressive, even among some of Blake's friends at the comic shops.

"You sure know your stuff, huh, Breakdown?"

Fulcrum grinned but looked a little uncomfortable. Pocketing the phone again, "Thank you. I thought we were here to show you the ropes though, KC? Not get dragged into my hobbies. We can drop over if you two want." She popped her back and gave Breakdown a sly look.

Looking up at the high ceiling, she whistled innocently and suddenly rambled off, "What month and year was the Beatle's infamous "Butcher Cover" Yesterday and Today album released?"

"Sixty six." Supplied Breakdown without a moment's hesitation. "You're gonna have to do better than that to pull one over on the guy who has the entire Beatles discography on both vinyl and CD. Not to mention all the solo work of each Beatle. Did you know that Ringo was actually chosen as a replacement drummer when their first choice wasn't available to play?"

"I give. I give. I shouldn't have even tried something so basic," teased Fulcrum as she, quite visibly, tried to come up with a more challenging question, "You know your stuff, I'll give you that. All of us have our specialties. You should appear on Jeopardy, Breakdown."

Looking around the costumes again, she chuckled and glanced at the two, "Like I said though, at least you two have original costumes and backgrounds. All I get is flack from the 'establishment'. You have no idea how hard it is to walk in Centurion's footsteps." From the sound of it, she wasn't really having a pity party of it, simply stating a fact that she had come to accept. Given her demonstrated personality and intellect though, she must have been fully aware of the potential for problems in the first place. Just maybe not of this magnitude.

Ironic then that she would confess these misgivings to two heroes that were small children during the Terminus Invasion. Maybe that was part of the point. Who knows?

"I give. I give. I shouldn't have even tried something so basic," teased Fulcrum as she, quite visibly, tried to come up with a more challenging question, "You know your stuff, I'll give you that. All of us have our specialties. You should appear on Jeopardy, Breakdown."

"Dang, no kidding Fulcrum."

As KC noticed Fulcrum's demeanor change. She seemed reminiscient. He knew how difficult it must be to live under the shadow of the great Centurion. KC wanted to leave, he didn't like seeing his new friend feel badly.

"So, let's head out to your studio! I'm dying to see it. Maybe later I can take you to mine- if you can call it a studio."

Fulcrum chuckled and headed for the main doors, "Alright, I'll take you both to see the bolthole I call a studio." That being said, she stepped outside into the crisp night air and began hovering. Taking a deep breath, "Going to fly again? Lovely night for it."

Once the answer came, she was off into the wild blue yonder. Obviously flying held a great joy for her, even when the power just took her from A to B. Their route was much the same, although it veered off away from the Waterfront proper and more northerly past the aquarium. After a few barrel rolls and loops, she settled down at the front doors of an old, renovated warehouse.

"Where is my key?" she mumbled to herself.

"That," Breakdown began, "Or if you can tell me where it is, like the address, I might be able to just zap us all there.

Breakdown tapped a few of the buttons on his sleeve, changing up his play list again. The other two began to hear a faint amount of trance music playing through his headphones. When Fulcrum delivered the address, he responded. "Hold on to your half-notes. Here goes nothing!"

---

Mere seconds later, the trio was standing in front of the studio apartment. "Anyone for an encore?"

The sensation of teleporting had to be one of the least pleasant she had ever encountered. Fulcrum swayed drunkenly in place, trying desperately to regain her balance and bearings. Massaging her temple, she mumbled, "No offense but I'll just fly, thanks." Ever so subtly the entrance light flickered and dimmed momentarily.

After a few moments to recover, she finally keyed in and headed upstairs past an old elevator. In her passing the light flared brightly. The stairwell was rather dark until she topped a balcony and opened another door. "Home sweet home. Make yourselves comfortable."

What can you say? Her pad was equal parts small late-twenty-something and surreal. On the one hand, it was minimalist and comfortable, an open rafter and floorplan with lots of exposed brick and duct work. The combined kitchen and living room ran down the front of the warehouse, framed by large windows. The usual furniture dominated: couch, chair, small entertainment center clustered against the window wall. Her bedroom was screened off in the far back, next to the bathroom door. Another screen closed off the fair corner across from the bathroom.

Now the surreal side came in two parts. One, most everything not built in was much larger than normal. As if, unsurprisingly, it was scaled for someone eight feet tall. Even the cabinet handles were sized for her. The other surreal part was the vast collection of paintings, drawings and sculpture that peppered the background. They covered every imaginable topic and style, from neo-classical to cubist to graffiti to comic illustrations. Perhaps most impressive was a hanging, black metal sculpture comprised of dozens of curvilinear sheets, strung on thin chains, all flowing into a three dimensional spiral cluster.

Heading into the kitchen, she asked, 'Want something to drink?"

What can you say? Her pad was equal parts small late-twenty-something and surreal. On the one hand, it was minimalist and comfortable, an open rafter and floorplan with lots of exposed brick and duct work. The combined kitchen and living room ran down the front of the warehouse, framed by large windows. The usual furniture dominated: couch, chair, small entertainment center clustered against the window wall. Her bedroom was screened off in the far back, next to the bathroom door. Another screen closed off the fair corner across from the bathroom.

Now the surreal side came in two parts. One, most everything not built in was much larger than normal. As if, unsurprisingly, it was scaled for someone eight feet tall. Even the cabinet handles were sized for her. The other surreal part was the vast collection of paintings, drawings and sculpture that peppered the background. They covered every imaginable topic and style, from neo-classical to cubist to graffiti to comic illustrations. Perhaps most impressive was a hanging, black metal sculpture comprised of dozens of curvilinear sheets, strung on thin chains, all flowing into a three dimensional spiral cluster.

Heading into the kitchen, she asked, 'Want something to drink?"

"Woah, I dig the style, Fulcrum." KC held his head. He was extremely nauseated from the teleportation. "Although, in the future, just let us fly there, Breakdown. I feel like I just got out of a washing machine on spin drive. "Could I get a glass of water, Fulcrum? I gotta sit down for a second."

KC staggered over to the corner of the room, and plopped down in the couch. He tested the springs. "IKEA?" KC asked.