Shoggoth on the Roof (IC)

Lone Star

Blake sits on the docks of Waterfront, thinking to himself. He liked the docks- the clear waters of the bays and the distant ships always calmed him. His most prominent thought was The Unspeakable One, but you wouldn't hear it from him. His glimpse of him was quite enough, and the image was stuck in his mind ever since. He reminded Blake of a combination squid, cuttlefish, and some species of dolphin, all colored green, with a hundred tentacles and anatomically improbably eyes. He was kind of bored, and he pulled his magic book out of his backpack.

"CTHULHU F'HTAGN!"

Beyond all dimensional logic, Blake changed from a fifteen-something emo boy into something much more strange and dark. His skin changed to a sickening shade of green, and scales sprouted from his arms. Tentacles sprouted from his chin like an unholy beard, and his eyes became tiny black slits. His shoes burst open, and fearsome claw-feet emerged from his black Converse shoes. He became something more than human, he became...Kid Cthulhu! A few old women who were watching the young boy shrieked with fright, and Kid Cthulhu turned, wanting to explain or apologize. As they ran off, Kid Cthulhu ran after them, not wanting them to fear him. As he tried to say something funny, the words got caught up on his face-tentacles and ended up sounding like a sort of warbling sound, which made the old women run faster. Kid Cthulhu sighed. And went back to sit back on the docks. Such was the life of a teenage squid-boy. :cthulhu:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a hero was a tough job. And you didn't get regularly scheduled bathroom breaks, either. Breakdown was ever-expanding the areas of the city he patrolled. Tonight, he decided to add the Freedom City Waterfront to his list. Anything I can do to help, he thought as he flew.

Suddenly he heard a scream. An old lady was running from something. Something hideously green. Luckily, the pursuer broke of the chase quickly.

Breakdown touched down lightly on the dock behind the strange green thing. "So what's it gonna be tonight? You robbing a bank? Sinking a few ships, maybe? Or do you just like to terrorize Freedom's citizens for fun?" Breakdown was standing with his hands on his hips. His leather motorcycle Jacket, camoflage shorts, brown hiking boots, and visor making him look quite the judgmental hero.

Kid Cthulhu looked up from his spot on the docks. "Huh? I'm no villain. I'm a hero like you." Blake had heard of Breakdown before- but never seen him in the flesh. He stood from his spot and began to walk towards him. "What's up?" Kid Cthulhu said, offering a squiddy hand. He attempted a grin behind his face-tentacles.

"Hero, huh?" Breakdown shrugged, determined to get to the bottom of this.

"What do 'they' call you?" One of his eyebrows raised above the visor. "And why were you chasing that old lady? Trying to explain how heroic you can be?" Breakdown shook this new hero's hand.

Breakdown checked his hand after the handshake, making sure that it wasn't somehow slimy. He also remembered briefly how much he hated eating calamari. He involuntarily shivered from the thought of how it might be still living (and wriggling) as it went down his throat.

"Those old women were afraid of me, and I tried to explain, but they ran off." Kid Cthulhu looked down, dejected. "Regardless, they call me Kid Cthulhu."

Kid Cthulhu smiled, his face-tentacles making a squishing noise. He hoped he didn't leave too much slime on his new friend's hand, as people generally don't like that. He would keep that in mind for the future. "They call me this, because...well...should be physically obvious, plus I can do magic."

To demonstrate, Kid Cthulhu pointed his arm at a nearby trashcan, and fired at it a bolt of mystic fire.

"Yeah. Pretty sweet, huh?"

"Hey now, lets lighten up on the property damage, okay?" Breakdown said, his hands held apprehensible in front of him. "You ARE a hero, right?"

"Kid Cthulu, huh?" Breakdown said, pressing onward, "Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Unspeakable One supposed to bring about the end of all humanity and such? How come you're a hero?"

"Choice. Every meta has the choice to be good or evil, luckily I chose to be good. Just because the extradimensional entity which I got my powers from was by a general consensus considered evil, that doesn't mean I have to be." Kid Cthulhu grinned again. "Why did you choose to be a good guy? And what do you do anyway?"

Breakdown shrugged, "Good point. I just thought maybe, Cthulu granting you your powers was a continual thing, not just a one time thing. But if it was just a one time spark or something..." Breakdown's voice trailed off, the explanation being more or less made.

"As for me? I do everything. Well, more or less." Breakdown waved his hand dismissively. "I listen to music. It inspires me and gives me powers. That and I'm a great singer." A huge smile spread across his face.

"Music, huh? That's pretty cool. What's your favorite group? My parents used to listen to psych-rock and avant-garde stuff when they wanted some inspiration. Ever heard of King Crimson?"

Kid Cthulhu was pretty pleased. A new meta friend, and one with hopefully some taste in music. "You don't listen to country or rap or anything do you? No art behind that, at all. In my opinion, the '70s were the peak of American music. And the 80's, a little. Not too big on the 80's, myself. I know this may sound strange, but do you know of any super-groups around here? It's tough getting recognized all by my lonesome, most people just run off..."

"...and scream." Kid Cthulhu became very dejected at his statement. "I can't access my powers without squidding out, you know? Life's a bitch, though, I guess."

Fulcrum had seen some strange things, especially from a bird's eye view. Fortunately, the years hadn't made her cynical. She still felt a sense of awe at the next new and wondrous thing to rear its head. Which is probably why she was so amazed when she spotted the guy in the Halloween costume.

No, take that back. If that was a costume, it was a really good one. Reminded her of the plushy squid monster her sister gave her as a gag gift. Looked like another hero had already made contact. Could that be Breakdown? She had heard of the musical hero, but now looked like a good time to make introductions. And protect innocent trash cans.

Circling down slowly, Fulcrum hovered upside down above the two, "Evening. Everything under control here?"

Kid Cthulhu had one look at the amazonian woman and involuntarily raised his eyebrows. Or, if he had any in his squid form. "Just fine, we were just making small talk. Guess you're a meta too?"

Wow, Blake thought to himself. So many interesting people he was meeting today. "Can I change back to my human form? Or do you guys prefer me like this?"

Breakdown turned to the newcomer. "Everything's lock stock here. Just a case of some frightened citizens getting the wrong impression. I'm Breakdown, and this," He motioned, "Is Kid Cthulu. You are?"

"You can change if you want too," Breakdown responded to Kid Cthulu's question, "Unless your into that whole 'protecting your identity' thing."

Fulcrum arched an eyebrow and landed next to the two, "I'm Fulcrum. Nice to meet you both," she said, watching the transformation, "I've heard of you, Breakdown, but you're new to me, Kid Cthulhu."

Tapping her chin in thought, she added, "Interesting power set there. What exactly do you do? Madness gazes, mystical wards, that sort of thing?" Judging from her lighthearted tone, she was about half serious and rather amused by the young hero.

Blake looked to to exploded garbage can, which began to emit strange sounds. "Yeah, don't mind that. That happens sometimes. But yeah, I can do some magic." Blake looked at Fulcrum, and grinned. She was kind of pretty, for someone that was about three feet taller than him. "So...what now?"

Fulcrum arched at eyebrow and investigated the trash can. Poor thing looked to have had a bad night. Nothing looked obviously worrisome. Still she made a mental note to keep an eye on it. In Freedom City you just couldn't be too careful.

Heading back to the two, "That I can see," she said with a small smile, "What happens now depends on you. Are you out heroing, looking for something to do or something else?"

As she spoke, she popped her back and surveyed the area. No need to bring any more attention to the situation. Hopefully the frightened citizens Breakdown mentioned were okay. Amazing how fast Freedonians could move when properly motivated (or scared).

Fulcrum arched an eyebrow and landed next to the two, "I'm Fulcrum. Nice to meet you both," she said, watching the transformation, "I've heard of you, Breakdown, but you're new to me, Kid Cthulhu."

"Only good things, I hope." Breakdown flashed Fulcrum a large smile. He was amazed at how tall she was. He'd never seen a woman that big.

Heading back to the two, "That I can see," she said with a small smile, "What happens now depends on you. Are you out heroing, looking for something to do or something else?"

"Aww, don't leave the kid totally hanging!" Breakdown joked, and patted the newcomer on the now-wonderfully-void-of-slime-shoulder. "So, KC, (Can I call you KC?) Want us to show you around town or something?"

"Aww, don't leave the kid totally hanging!" Breakdown joked, and patted the newcomer on the now-wonderfully-void-of-slime-shoulder. "So, KC, (Can I call you KC?) Want us to show you around town or something?"

"Sure, that'd be really cool. You guys have any art museums or concert venues? Those are kind of my places I feel the most at home." The boy looked at the two. "But, wherever you guys want to go, I'm good."

"If yer lookin' for a good concert, you came to the right place." Breakdown smiled big. This was after all his area of expertise. "Nobody in this town knows more about music than I do. Nobody."

Blake grinned. "That's great news. So what are we waiting for? Let's go!" Blake said. He hoped he wouldn't run into any super-villains. Although that would be pretty cool. Maybe.

"Yup, all good things," She grinned, "From what I hear, Breakdown here is the Master of Music in these parts. Other than maybe Maestro. Is he your nemesis or something?"

Kid Cthulhu's enthusiasm was refreshing. Given a little polish, he had the potential to be a real asset to the people of Freedom City. Sure his powers had an unsettling side effect, but around these parts who really cared?

"He is the music guy, and I'm the art girl. If you want to learn about supers, the Super Museum should still be open." She pulled out her iPhone, the tiny device looking non-existent in her huge hand, "They have historic items as well as a lot of super-hero related art."

Blake's eyes widened. "That'd be pretty sweet. I'm not totally familiar with the whole superhero game, so you guys'll have to be my guides. Who's Maestro?" Although he had studied superheroes some, he had never come across that name. "Does everyone get an arch-nemesis or something? Are they assigned or do you just happen across them? Is there some kind of Supervillains Guild?" Although Blake loved to ask questions, he was just curious. He hoped he didn't get someone lame, like someone in a butterfly costume or anything like that. "Also, do we get minions?"

Breakdown downright laughed. "No way, KC. Things like The Guild of Calamitous Intent only exists in TV shows. And we usually call them 'sidekicks,' not, 'minions'."

As they started walking, since Breakdown was unsure of how Kid Cthulhu usually got around, he turned to Fulcrum, "Actually, I've never met Maestro. I hear he's been giving me a bad name, though. Unfortunately, he's harder to track down than you would think. I almost had a run-in with him once, but he gave me the slip."

Turning back to Kid Cthulhu, he asked, "So what'll it be, 'Kid'?"

Blake pondered to himself for a moment. "Let's hit the art museum first. That's always fun. I guess you guys know the way, so lead on, super-friends." Although he had no way of motion other than simple walking, he was hoping one of them would fly him. Blake always wanted to fly, he just didn't happen upon that ability. "Can one of you fly me there?" Blake said as he grinned to himself.

"Yea," Breakdown said with a smile. "There's actually been something I've wanted to try." Breakdown quickly hit a few buttons on one of his ipods. Kid Cthulhu suddenly heard a jazz flute out of nowhere. Then he realized it was actually being projected from Breakdown.

"This is my other power. My body acts like a conduit for music. Try flying now." Breakdown said as he floated of the ground, "I've always felt that Jazz makes me feel all light and airy."