Pruning and Tending (IC)

Electra

"No, Freedom City is a dangerous city for vampires with all the super heroes around. There was a purge a ways back and they've kept a deliberately low profile snce then," Taylor confirmed with a shake of her head. "You're not too likely to run accross one and honestly, you wouldn't find them a threat. Most vampires are no where near as powerful as Jack. There's only a handful of dangerous elders. The rest are about as scary as your average mugger, or less."

"Well, that's something, I guess," Stesha said ruefully. "I'd probably feel worse if I was seeing vampires every day and totally ignorant. I'm not sure there's anything more I really want to know about vampires. I think I'll probably deal with vampires by staying very far away from them." Sh cocked her head at Taylor. "Is that going to be a problem?" she asked meaningfully. "I don't want anything to mess things up between you and I, but there's only so far I can go."

Taylor shrugged her shoulders, her expression pensive, "I'd love you to be there for the wedding but if you can't I understand it. I'm not going to hold your dislike ofJack against you or anything. Even Jack can admit its warrented. And he's the only vampire I spend time with. Its not like we're inviting any of his people to the wedding.

"I'll have to think about it," Stesha admitted. "I don't want to miss your big day, I just... I guess I have to get used to the idea of dealing with him. Maybe if we can just leave well enough alone, with a lot of space in between us, it'll be okay." Stesha smiled a little. "I've dealt with enough feuds, family and otherwise, at weddings to know that a good seating chart can do all sorts of wonderful tricks. Have you set a date for the wedding yet?"

"Next month, on the fifteenth of December. We're just having my family for the ceremony itself and mom and I are still arguing about a party afterwards. After all of the drama, I just want something quiet and private. I feel shy and weird around crowds anyways." Taylor shrugged uncomfortabally. She was a rather intensely private person and the idea of exchanging her vows in front of three hundred or so people did make her blood run absolutely cold. "I think Mom's going toinsist on the party but its only fair to yeild on it. I've learned to pick my battles."

"You should have a party," Stesha agreed. "It's a big day, a once in a lifetime day. You should celebrate it." Her voice was a little strained, but she was as sincere as she could be about something that she was dubious about celebrating. She took a breath. "Listen, why don't I get in touch with your mom and we'll work something out for the reception. There's not a lot of time, but I'm sure we can put something together and you'll hardly have to worry about it. My present to you."

"Only if you're sure," Taylor said honestly, raising up her hands, "That would be wonderful, really wonderful. There's certainly a part of me that would love a normal wedding day like everyone else but I'm well aware we're not everyone else. I just don't want to have it turn into the usual debacle, you know?"

"You're probably better having the ceremony privately," Stesha admitted. "Less chance for anything to go wrong. And the reception afterwards... well, it'll be a celebration. I'm sure people will be on their best behavior, and they'll police each other. Just make it clear that it's a mixed crowd and you don't want to give up your secret identity. People will respect that. With food and drinks and dancing to keep everyone busy, it'll be a nice time," she said encouragingly. "And if anyone does cause a little trouble, well, maybe you can just say they're from Jack's side."

Taylor laughed at that, finally dimpling her cheeks with the smile she flashed at Stesha, "I already told Jack we're blaming any odd-ball invitees on his side. So far he's taking it with good grace once I accepted that Ace was coming as my friend. He is actually a friend of my family so that's not actually a stretch. I think Jack just didn't want to have to deal with 'his brother Vince' again. I know Ace would have reveled in it. He's not coming to the ceremony. The only person we're inviting outside of my family is Elena. She's helping with somet of the legalities of it all."

Stesha blinked. "Wow... I hadn't even thought of that part. What a mess. But I guess you'll get it straightened out somehow," she said rather dubiously. "Or you could always have a commitment ceremony in the meantime, those can be very meaningful and beautiful." She scratched her head and wondered how one did go about marrying a corpse, even an unusually active one. The thought gave the her the heebie-jeebies, for a lot of reasons, so she steered away from it again. "How do you feel about white roses and red ribbons? Festive, but doesn't scream Christmas."

"We're big on red. I think my mom would have a fit if I didn't incorporate red into the decorations. And she's not even the Chinese parent. It's actually all Mom on the not wanting to lose Dad's cultural heritage half the time, bless her." Taylor said with obvious affection for both parents. "We're doing the tea ceremony in the morning, which will involve some real slight of hand and then a small ceremony. No church. For obvious reasons."