White Wedding [IC]

alderwitch

James raised his eyes to the ceiling in exasperation with a smile. "Trust me. Jack would notice. And be more than a little jealous. It's not about what brain knows. It's the heart, and other drives, that counts here." He laughed lightly as she closed up after looking over his shoulder. "Thanks for making my point. Love is about gut feelings. 'Knowing' someone is going to be faithful and true and wants you more than anyone in the world beyond a shadow of a doubt is great. But your 'gut' still makes you doubt, makes you a little jealous, makes you step up and show that commitment. As was plain with the cowboy over there. As it is with you looking over at the bombshell who I'd bet ridiculous amounts of money on that Jack has had a past with." He smiled at her. "Trust me on this one. He loves you and wouldn't look elsewhere. And would get jealous the second you did." He shrugged. "Bah. Legal, scmmegal. Like the law has ever mattered, especially for stuff like that. 'Sides, you're not exactly my type. That whole "in love with someone else" doesn't really work for me," he said with a smile. Not to mention, she was his teacher and partner. That would complicate things quite a bit; more than he really wanted to deal with at the moment anyway.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You know, it's my wedding day. You could at least make vague noises about me being at least passabally attractive," Taylor rejoined wryly, her expression far too amused at being informed that she was 'not James type'. It was hardly a surprise. After all, she'd seen the sort of arm candy he favored. He was also a much better dancer than she was, she noted as she let him guide her into one of those spins that always made her fret she was going to end up on her butt rather than the ball of her foot, "And I'm not betting money with you on anything. Talk about being out of someone's league."

"Vague noises? Passably attractive? I was just illustrating and talking about love which doesn't really have to connect to someone's appearance. You're gorgeous. And I'm not just talking about who you are but about the way you look in that dress. If you weren't in love with Jack, I might be getting you all hot and bothered right now," he said wiggling his eyebrows. People never learned that physical beauty was nice, but it didn't mean anything beyond appearances. And once the lights went out, looks didn't matter at all. If you wanted something that lasts, gotta go beyond that. Of course, he hadn't been in a long term relationship in like forever... He gave himself a mental shake and returned his focus to the bride. "I'll front it to you if you like," he said with a smile.

Taylor blushed despite her best efforts not to and followed it with a stern frown that really didn't have the punch that it did when she was in costume. Instead of grim defender of the realms it was a bit more angry school librarian. Really, it was a futile effort to keep James from teasing while she was in costume so Taylor didn't know why she'd even tried it out.

"Pfft, please. You have a string of rich debutantes to keep you quite busy enough." Taylor said with a laugh. "You could start with the 'bombshell' as you call her over by the bar. She's an Olympian goddess, by the way. You could even call keeping an eye on her the start of covering some of my duties."

"Reckon I can't think'a anythin' else I'd rather spend ma time doin'."

"Glad to hear that."

As she moves with some grace through the unfamilar steps of the dance, Lynn sighs.

"I might have to take dancing lessons one of these days; would you be up for that? Grampa Lou used to show me all these old musicals, with like Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly, guys like that? And the way those guys could move...I mean, I know I have the body and the mojo to pull it off, I just lack the necessary 'mad skillz' in that area. Can you imagine what I could do out here with a few lessons under my belt? I would be scary good."

And again with the quiet; Lynn lets the music wash over her, takes a deep breath of Colt's delicous aroma, and does a sponateous twirl out of pure joy.

"Whoa, sorry 'bout that!"

She giggles as she settles down again, once again following the rhthym of the dance.

"Okay, I'm gonna look into camping gear, maybe scout out the forest a bit, and then we need to make this happen."

She steps on tiptoe again, somewhat irritated. "Grr, if I could, I make myself taller; whispering is easier that way." But she manages to get her mouth near her boyfriend's ear again, with a little work. "So how late do you want to stay? All this talk of snuggling in close quarters is kinda...distracting, y'know?" ;)

Untouched whiskey in hand, Jack appeared about half a foot behind James, Jack just overtopping the tall teenager by a few inches. Don't be stupid, he told himself. James wouldn't make a move on Taylor right here in your wedding, and Taylor certainly wouldn't go for it. But it was hard to stop the drumbeats in the back of his head, the predator who saw another monster moving in what was his. Mine. "Hey you two," he said with a sharp smile. "Mind if I cut in with my bride on my wedding day?"

James smiled. "That an 'official' request," he asked, winking. Just about then, he could practically feel Jack's 'looming' presence right before the man spoke. Instead of immediately responding, he looked at Taylor and smiled. "See? What did I tell you? Trust me." He stopped and half turned, holding Taylor's hand out for Jack to take. "Of course not. Thanks for the dance Taylor. Congratulations again to you both." He smiled, bowing gracefully as he let the two of them continue their dance. He looked around and headed into the crowd, looking for the next bit of trouble with smile.

Taylor didn't have time to argue with James as she was neatly handed back to her husband but she did eloquently express that she thought that was a silly explanation for Jack's appearance with a roll of her eyes at him and a chuckle. "If it wasn't an official request before, I'm making it one now. Thank you, James."

She went back into Jack's arms, skin tingling slightly and she repressed a little shiver. With so many people of mystical and metaphysical persuasion, her senses had been firing off randomly all evening but she hadn't expected to have that reaction to Jack. He shouldn't have been using any of his abilities. Taylor arched a single brow at him as she rested one hand lightly on his shoulder. Lowering her voice, she murmured in a tone meant for his ears only, "Jack... Unless you were trapped with Aunt Agnes, I don't think its really time to use all your, ah, skills."

"I don't think there's any risk of getting found out here," said Jack with a little murmur. "It seems like the only people who don't know are the ones too unobservant to see what's right in front of their faces. It'll be fine," he reassured her warmly. With a moment's effort, he wasn't even thinking about smacking James around anymore. "Seems like you're getting a lot of attention. As it should be."

Taylor's shoulders moved a little uncomfortabally at the reminder but her cheeks dimpled with a quick and rueful smile. She continued in whispered tones, "Don't remind me. I'm not really used to it. I keep fretting that I'm going to phase out and give everyone something to really talk about for years rather than the usual stories of which uncle had too much to drink. I held it together when Grim jumped me but only because I saw her coming. It was closer than I like."

Colt smiled as he let Lynn go on about her dance lesson fantasies. Dance lessons weren't at the top of his list of things to do, but something inside him told him that if she asked, he'd do it. For the cowboy that never had much as a kid, he knew the things that really counted.

"Ya'd be more'n scary, I reckon. I'd love ta see it." he replied, evading her question.

"I think its 'sposed ta get warmer soon. Maybe we c'n go then." Colt resumed the talk of camping.

When Lynn tried to tiptoe, he caught on. He helped her out by holding her up close to him. "It's yer party, an' they're yer friends. I reckon that outta be yer decision. But, fer the reckord, I'm ready whenever you are."

Atlas parted ways with Taylor's aunt at the end of the dance. Two dances and no broken toes. Things were going good. Too good. It was time for hard mode. Atlas made his way over to bar. Someone needed to wind up with a lampshade on their head by the end of this little shindig, and if no one else was going to do it, then Atlas had to take one for the team.

Okay, he just wanted a drink and to shoot the breeze with Doc, but the first story was a lot more entertaining. "Vhy hello zere Doctor. And hello again John." said Atlas as he got to the bar again and got another drink.

"It's yer party, an' they're yer friends. I reckon that outta be yer decision. But, fer the reckord, I'm ready whenever you are."

A wicked grin slowly spreads across Lynn's face, and her eyes dart around the room.

"Bingo. C'mon, Mr. Colt; I have a cunning plan."

Taking his hand firmly in her own, she starts to lead him off the dance floor with single-minded purpose, making a beeline for the corridor that leads to the coat room. Once they're halfway down the hallway, she quickly checks over her shoulder, then flings her hand up and over her head, and she winks out of sight; there is a slight ripple in the air when she moves, but only the sharpest eye could detect her. Her laugh tinkles in the air like tiny bells.

"Now you've seen that trick before, but check this out."

An unseen pair of soft lips gently stroke the cowboy's face, and soon a cool tingle spreads outwards from the point of contact like a chilly breeze, and where is passes, it leaves...nothingness! Colt is now covered by Grim's glamour!

"Freaky, huh? As long as a I touch you, you'll stay hidden like me. But be very careful how you walk; your body knows what to do, but your brain doesn't believe it. Here, I'm gonna keep holding your hand, and we're gonna make our way to the coat room door over there, where we can snuggle for a bit with a little privacy..."

Colt followed Lynn into the hallway, having no idea what she was up to...

"Reckon ya ARE a she devil, aren't ya?" was all Colt managed to get out before she pulled him into the coat room. Part of him felt like he was being a bad guest. But the rest of him just didn't care.

Sure hope no one else decides they need their coat fer a while, he thought as he snuggled into the back of the coat check room with the wedding's most deviously beautiful guest.

While Ace smoothly made pretend introductions between the two women, an elderly gentleman took advantage of his stationary location to make his was over to the immortal adventurer. Although his shoulders were rounded with the weight of his advanced years, and he clearly needed the very thick glasses that he peered out of, he leaned very little on the wooden and worn smooth cane he used.

"Ace Danger. Of course you'd be surrounded by lovely young women," unlike his cartoon adaption, Huang's voice was surprisingly deep and cultured with a slightly British sounding accent. He smiled vaguely at the women in a way that didn't entirely hide his faintly troubled expression.

"You'll do fine," Jack assured Taylor, a smile on his face. Sensing where she wanted to go, he started slowly dancing them towards Stesha and Dark Star. "Just a little while more of this, and the only magical thing you'll have to worry about is you and me. And the bed and breakfast." He had his own ideas about that, but this was neither the time nor place for that. "Who's the older gentleman with Ace?"

"HARRY!" Ace exclaimed giving his old friend a hearty pat on the back. "Ladies this is Hong Kong Harry. Harry, Moira and Elena." He glanced about and excused himself quickly with a smile and wink, "If you ladies don't mind I'm gonna go catch up with my old friend. I'm sure you'll find some diversion or another."

With that he wove his way slowly through the crowd speaking quietly in Tibetan, "Why the long face old chum?"

As they moved to the side of the dance floor, Taylor looked up at him curiously before resting her hand on his arm to balance as she tried to see over everyone to answer his question. Although most of her family remained in the five six, to five eight range, even in heels, she had to crane to see over the heads that Jack could easily peer over. Eventually she had to raise up on her toes even in her heels to catch sight of her short uncle. Not for the first time, Taylor wished her flight wasn't quite so obvious.

"That's great-uncle Huang. You've probably heard of him as Hong-Kong Harry. He's the one who gave me the Eye of Heshem to protect," Taylor said with obvious affection and a deep respect. "He's the one who got me into languages and anthropology. I'll introduce you after this."

She dropped back to her heels with an audible click on the dance floor before beaming at Stesha's date. "Derrick, you made it."

Meanwhile Huang gave both ladies a small bow before he let Ace drag him off to a corner. His face creased in an expression of near pain as he responded in the fluid language. "Good choice. You are clearly rusty. Haven't I always said, 'Ace, if you don't use the skill, you'll get rusty'. Now, why don't you tell me about all of these colorful characters at my delightful grand niece's reception."

Ace chuckled lightly at the old mans admonishment. "I try to keep in practice but opportunities are sparse."

He glanced around eyes settling on Atlas clearly the most colorful of the lot. "The tall red fellow is Atlas a friend and teammate of your niece, I daresay she inherited your sense of adventure." Ace had little to no doubt that with Phantoms assorted public appearances the eye's former guardian knew her secret. Likely he knew more than Ace himself did and possibly more than Phantom. "Regardless she's mostly managed to keep a good lot watching her back. When she's not falling to her feminine weakness." He added wryly, eyes lingering on the happy couple.

Huang nodded sagely, deep creases bracketing his wide smile at that pronouncement. Unlike the rest of his rather straight-laced family, there was a reason Huang had fallen in with the Jungle Patrol's exploits. When he could convince his crew to let him, he still joined the archeological digs at his advanced age. Of course, these days it was much less Indiana Jones than it was in his youth but every so often he hit a lucky site that was still filled with danger and traps.

"Ah, yes. My newest grand-nephew." Huang swung his appraising glance over to the newly wedded couple on the dance floor. His gaze was thoughtful, as if he was trying to work out an especially tricky puzzle in his mind, "I take it you don't approve."

Ace let his studiously blank countenance speak for him on the matter of his approval. "You know how women get when they fall for someone." he said with a gentle shrug, "The object of their affection can do no wrong." a fact that Ace had not in the past been above taking advantage of either. "Even if the guy is just a leech on the belly of society." he quietly added with a grimace of distaste.

Increasingly conscious of the lack of family at this party, Jack decided it was high time to get things moving along so the festivities could reach their happy conclusion. A whispered suggestion brought an agreement from Taylor, and soon they were commandeering the DJ's space to proudly announce where things were going. Jack took the lead, neatly scooping up the microphone. "All right, everybody, it's time for your favorite part of the wedding! The bouquet toss. I want all the single ladies out there on the dance floor, ready to catch the bridal bouquet!" They'd debated a garter toss, but Jack had persuaded Taylor it was just about objectifying women. The truth of the matter was, he didn't like the idea of the other men getting to look at Taylor's legs.

Taylor accepted Jack's hand up to the platform so that she could toss the carefully tied bundle of roses over her shoulder. The goal not to have Taylor's legs visable was only marginally successful as the qi-pao was slit on both sides and parted as she stepped up enough to flash a good bit of leg before she was up next to Jack. She turned her back to the guests, roses in hand. With the jostling on the dance floor, only Jack was in a good position to see her eyes glow white as she 'peeked' to make sure she knew exactly where Stesha was.

With superb aim and a surprising amount of strength to the toss, Taylor whipped the roses up in the air and over her head in a perfect - if forceful - line directly at Stesha.

Doktor Archeville

(before the bouquet toss)

Well, that's no way to be a host! He didn't even see us all the way to the bar!

Yes, imagine that: a man wanting to spend time with his wife on the day of their wedding.

... bah!

"John, Samael, good to see you both," Archeville greeted Arrowhawk and Atlas. "Both doing vell, I trust?"

The Doktor almost regretted having so recently attended Oktoberfest, because his still-vibrant memories of it made the offering at this wedding look absolutely tame by comparison. At least, at first glace. As he studied it, Archeville realized that Ace Danger himself must have had a hand in providing the party's potent potables, and the selection was top-notch.

(during the bouquet toss)

The Doktor leaned in between the two men, "I do hope for equal representation, und ve get a garter toss. It vould only be fair, ja?"

Mmmm....

Stop that.