House Call

cosmicarus

The explosion doesn't even rattle Heavy, though his sensors briefly become useless as the explosion washes over him. "That was probably Satori's goal," he thinks to himself. "Unless he just likes killing. How could I be so blind?"

Blind in truth, he holds up his hand, pointing towards where he last saw Satori, and unleashes his power. Everything within 100 feet of Satori's last position (except Heavy himself) is pulled down by a force hundreds of times more powerful than the Earth's gravity.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The explosion doesn't even rattle Heavy, though his sensors briefly become useless as the explosion washes over him. "That was probably Satori's goal," he thinks to himself. "Unless he just likes killing. How could I be so blind?"

Blind in truth, he holds up his hand, pointing towards where he last saw Satori, and unleashes his power. Everything within 100 feet of Satori's last position (except Heavy himself) is pulled down by a force hundreds of times more powerful than the Earth's gravity.

It doesn't take Heavy very long to discover that Satori has somehow managed to escape his power. He grits his teeth behind the helm and makes a fist, punching a hole through the wall next to him. There's nothing left for him here. The other people, if they hadn't already been dead before the explosion, certainly are now. EMTs call it "injuries incompatible with life." Burnt flesh, exposed bones, and lifeless bodies. He didn't do it, but he was the one who brought Satori here, and he was the one who let him escape.

The fire still smolders around him, though it's too weak to get through his suit. As he thinks about what to do next, he uses his radar to locate where the pipes are within the wall, then tears out the one that looks most like a water pipe. The water sprays around the room, soaking the corpses and providing a further indignity in death.

He has to find Satori, and bring him down. But where can he look? "Wherever Kirk will be, he'll be there," he says to himself. He pats his side, then reaches into his pocket where he had placed the pager. The number is still there, and maybe with it, he'll have some answers. Moving quickly throughout the house, he finds the first phone he can and dials the number, waiting for a reply.

It doesn't take Heavy very long to discover that Satori has somehow managed to escape his power. He grits his teeth behind the helm and makes a fist, punching a hole through the wall next to him. There's nothing left for him here. The other people, if they hadn't already been dead before the explosion, certainly are now. EMTs call it "injuries incompatible with life." Burnt flesh, exposed bones, and lifeless bodies. He didn't do it, but he was the one who brought Satori here, and he was the one who let him escape.

The fire still smolders around him, though it's too weak to get through his suit. As he thinks about what to do next, he uses his radar to locate where the pipes are within the wall, then tears out the one that looks most like a water pipe. The water sprays around the room, soaking the corpses and providing a further indignity in death.

He has to find Satori, and bring him down. But where can he look? "Wherever Kirk will be, he'll be there," he says to himself. He pats his side, then reaches into his pocket where he had placed the pager. The number is still there, and maybe with it, he'll have some answers. Moving quickly throughout the house, he finds the first phone he can and dials the number, waiting for a reply.

The phone rings a few times, and while Heavy waits for it, a middle aged man in a secuirty guard uniform comes around the hall and sees him - he get's a shock and raises a small, gun like weapon and a flishlight at Heavy, "Hol...Hold it right there." Just at that moment, the phone on the other end is picked up, the voice of a young woman floats over the phone, "Adam, baby, I thought you'd be here by now."

The phone rings a few times, and while Heavy waits for it, a middle aged man in a secuirty guard uniform comes around the hall and sees him - he get's a shock and raises a small, gun like weapon and a flishlight at Heavy, "Hol...Hold it right there." Just at that moment, the phone on the other end is picked up, the voice of a young woman floats over the phone, "Adam, baby, I thought you'd be here by now."

Heavy holds up his index finger on the hand that isn't holding the phone. He looks like he's asking the beleaguered security guard for one minute before they start. At the same time, he speaks forcefully into the phone.

"This isn't Adam. He's in grave danger - villains have attacked his house, looking for him. I need to know where he's heading."

He had considered pretending to be Daedalus - not as many people know his voice as, say, Captain Thunder's, but he needs the information quickly, before one of the other villains gets to him first. Technically, everything he said was true... and he knows that the only place he can be assured of finding Satori any time soon is where Adam Kirk is.

Heavy holds up his index finger on the hand that isn't holding the phone. He looks like he's asking the beleaguered security guard for one minute before they start. At the same time, he speaks forcefully into the phone.

"This isn't Adam. He's in grave danger - villains have attacked his house, looking for him. I need to know where he's heading."

He had considered pretending to be Daedalus - not as many people know his voice as, say, Captain Thunder's, but he needs the information quickly, before one of the other villains gets to him first. Technically, everything he said was true... and he knows that the only place he can be assured of finding Satori any time soon is where Adam Kirk is.

As the house burns behind him, Satori finishes moving through the woods to the edge of the property, over the fence, and then down the property line to the street.

I need both transport and a method of entrance to a crowded social venue for which I have no invitation and where I do not want to appear in my secret identity. And very soon the authorities will arrive.

Bringing with them exactly what I will need... if I can take it. And it is likely that I can.

In his place of concealment, Satori patiently does the last thing anyone would expect him to do under the circumstances -- stand still, screened from both visible and radar detection by the trees and his own ninja skills, and wait. This is a rich neighborhood. Very soon the authorities will arrive. And most of them will leave their vehicles behind to enter the property or secure the perimeter.

And he intends that the instant one of them is out of line of sight of the rest, and has already made his radio call to announce his arrival at the scene, that man's uniform, weapon, and patrol car will be Satori's.

As the house burns behind him, Satori finishes moving through the woods to the edge of the property, over the fence, and then down the property line to the street.

I need both transport and a method of entrance to a crowded social venue for which I have no invitation and where I do not want to appear in my secret identity. And very soon the authorities will arrive.

Bringing with them exactly what I will need... if I can take it. And it is likely that I can.

In his place of concealment, Satori patiently does the last thing anyone would expect him to do under the circumstances -- stand still, screened from both visible and radar detection by the trees and his own ninja skills, and wait. This is a rich neighborhood. Very soon the authorities will arrive. And most of them will leave their vehicles behind to enter the property or secure the perimeter.

And he intends that the instant one of them is out of line of sight of the rest, and has already made his radio call to announce his arrival at the scene, that man's uniform, weapon, and patrol car will be Satori's.

• 2 weeks later...

Heavy

The security guard stalls - he looks lost for a moment. This isn't how this was meant to happen, was it? His mind keeps running into dead ends as Heavy speaks.

The voice on the other side of the phone grows hysterical, "Oh no! My poor baby! He was supposed to be here for the benefit - Watergardens Hall. Is he alright? What's happened!?"

The security guard starts to get impatient - his duty is becoming clearer and he reasserts his grip on his weapon - "I'm serious! Put the phone down and walk slowly to the front door."

Satori

The sneaky bow man is correct - police do in fact patrol the outside of the Kirk's gate. It seems that it's the only way into the estate, from this street at least. The police are busy trying to get people away from the gates and behind the cordon they've set up. From down the street, the siren of a fire truck is heard moments before it makes it's way around the corner and toward the house. It's followed by another. There is a sound from above - a helicopter is moving towards the scene. Could be police. Could be media. In either case, the place is starting to swarm. The police haven't been as careless with their vehicles as Satori may have hoped; they are, in fact, using them for the blockade. That said, there are a number of other vehicles in the area. Various cars of passerbys are parked up and down the street as the curious look on. Two news trucks have arrived on the scene and there are even some local children on bikes.

Heavy

The security guard stalls - he looks lost for a moment. This isn't how this was meant to happen, was it? His mind keeps running into dead ends as Heavy speaks.

The voice on the other side of the phone grows hysterical, "Oh no! My poor baby! He was supposed to be here for the benefit - Watergardens Hall. Is he alright? What's happened!?"

The security guard starts to get impatient - his duty is becoming clearer and he reasserts his grip on his weapon - "I'm serious! Put the phone down and walk slowly to the front door."

Satori

The sneaky bow man is correct - police do in fact patrol the outside of the Kirk's gate. It seems that it's the only way into the estate, from this street at least. The police are busy trying to get people away from the gates and behind the cordon they've set up. From down the street, the siren of a fire truck is heard moments before it makes it's way around the corner and toward the house. It's followed by another. There is a sound from above - a helicopter is moving towards the scene. Could be police. Could be media. In either case, the place is starting to swarm. The police haven't been as careless with their vehicles as Satori may have hoped; they are, in fact, using them for the blockade. That said, there are a number of other vehicles in the area. Various cars of passerbys are parked up and down the street as the curious look on. Two news trucks have arrived on the scene and there are even some local children on bikes.

Heavy

Satori

Heavy looks over to the guard. Although he knows the man can't see his face, he bares his teeth at him nonetheless. His hands lower to his sides before he speaks.

"I don't have time for this. Here, tell her what's going on," he says as he tosses the phone to the guard. At the same time, he turns towards where the windows were damaged by Satori's explosion and rockets out the window. He leaves himself wide-open for an attack, but he's counting on his gravitic aura to protect him from any bullets that might be fired his way. He's on his way to Watergardens Hall.

Heavy looks over to the guard. Although he knows the man can't see his face, he bares his teeth at him nonetheless. His hands lower to his sides before he speaks.

"I don't have time for this. Here, tell her what's going on," he says as he tosses the phone to the guard. At the same time, he turns towards where the windows were damaged by Satori's explosion and rockets out the window. He leaves himself wide-open for an attack, but he's counting on his gravitic aura to protect him from any bullets that might be fired his way. He's on his way to Watergardens Hall.

Satori, lurking in the bushes, sees Heavy rocket from the house and fly away.

What in the name of... he is heading directly for Watergardens Hall! None of the servants could have survived that blast!

Satori takes a deep breath, then another, re-centering himself. Shame surges in him, and anger... emotions that he can only purge himself of with effort.

It does not matter how or why. Somehow, he obtained the same information that I tortured out of that weakling servant. Perhaps when he was searching upstairs, perhaps another way. Regardless, there is no way I can reach the target first. His flight speed and immunity to traffic conditions grants him vastly superior mobility to any car I could steal, police or otherwise, and his gravitic powers and armor mean he can simply ignore any mundane security guards, and abduct Kirk from the center of a crowd by simple brute force. Even if I by some miracle reached Watergardens Hall at the same time he did... no. Stealth and subtlety take time, smash-and-grab tactics do not.

I must face the truth. Today is not my day. I cannot even hope to hijack Heavy as he returns to the storefront for the money... he is already alerted to this possibility, and if he could survive that explosion, he is too heavily armored for my arrows. And even though he did not sign the list... even squeamish as he is, that is still a difficulty he can readily solve in any number of ways.

I am more limited than I have originally thought. I must meditate upon this truth and devise new methods and techniques. Or, alternately, find new hunting grounds until I am in truth ready for this one.

And so, accepting the truth of his position, Satori quietly left.