A Fine, Fine Line (IC)

Electra

Moira took a breath. She thought this would happen. She thought a lot of things would happen. This was actually one of the more 'pleasant' ones, though not really pleasant. "Well, partially true. I didn't remember what happened precisely, but that was the gist of it." She was at a loss for words, well other than breaking down into 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry" but that type of groveling didn't help anything. "I have no excuse than my own failings," she said with pleading eyes looking into Stesha's anger, "It was not one of my stronger moments."

"I believed you," Stesha said again, the anger in her eyes creeping into her voice. "I made a fool of myself because I believed your story. I begged Taylor to believe it was true, and I was upset and hurt on your behalf when she didn't. But she was right, and I was wrong. You knew what you did would hurt my feelings, so you lied about it, like that would make everything go away. Now Taylor won't believe anything anyone tells her about Jack, and she's going to marry him even though he really is a monster. Really made everything better, didn't it?"

"That's it?" Stesha demanded when the silence stretched on. "You slept with Jack, you lied to me about it, you lied to Taylor about it, and it was 'not one of your stronger moments?' That's crap Moira, and you know it." Stesha pulled away and got up from the chair, walking across the room to the windowful of plants. "And I am glad you're back, and I do still want to be your friend, but I don't know how to not be really angry at you about this. I told you a secret that hurt about Jack, and you used it, and you lied about doing it." Her voice cracked. "And now I find out this other secret about him, and I don't know what to do, or who to talk to, or even who to trust, because now I know that no one's been telling me the truth about anything this entire time."

Moira sighed remorsefully, all she wanted to do was make Stesha's pain go away. This was killing her to see the repercussions of her own handiwork. "Stesha," she said turning to face her, "What I did, I wish I could undo. But I can't I was trying to help you. You were the only reason I kept it up so long. I thought I was helping my friend, but it just backfired." Standing up slowly, she looked to Stesha with the utmost love she could give, "I'm... I'm sorry."

Stesha pursed her lips, trying to hold onto what seemed like an entirely justified anger, but it was so hard to stay mad at Moira when she was being penitent. And anyway, she didn't really want to hold onto the anger, what good did it do her? It wasn't going to change anything that was already done. She made a little bit of an effort anyway. "I find it hard to believe you lied to me in the first place to try and help me out, so much as to smooth things over without any effort. But I should've talked to you for longer before I asked you to speak with Taylor. I know you were trying to help there, I just didn't realize what the situation actually was. No more lies, okay? Not even if you think it's better for me. Promise?"

Never lie again? Moira loved Stesha's view of the world that everyone told the truth and everything was hunky dory. Her innocence was only one part of Stesha that Moira loved. Even though, she would never lie on that scale again to her best friend. She stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Stesha again and put her head on hers, side-to-side. This time more relieved, more absolved, and just plain more happy than before. Her voice was almost dream-like, "I promise. I will never hurt you in that way again. Ever."

"All right then." Stesha let out a long breath, a little overwhelmed, as usual, by Moira's presence. "Then it's okay. If you've worked it through with Taylor, there's no reason to think about it anymore. I still need to hear about what you did while you were away. It must've been so strange, being so far away for so long."

"Hey I got an idea," Moira said pulling away, but still holding on to Stesha. "I need some dry clothes," she said looking down at herself. She was soaked from hanging on to Stesha. "How about we talk about it over at my place, like old times?"

Stesha nodded and took them to Moira's house in an instant with her flower ride. After Moira changed into something drier, she shared her story with Stesha. It was long and epic! Every bit of it was true. She didn't want to leave anything out, but she did ask Stesha how far she wanted her to go, tone-wise. All-in-all, it was something for the ages. If Stesha still wanted to do that prophet thing Edone said she would be, this would would be the part of it. It lasted on into the night, she kept her audience captivated well into the night and until morning! Neither of them slept or ate, so it was cool. Moira was happy that everything was resolved. Maybe this "all truth all the time" thing had something to it.