Seventh Circle [IC]

They'd agreed to meet outside of the city itself. Not only did Taylor think that opening a gateway into hell was probably a bad idea on an epic scale, the veil between Freedom City and the netherworlds was thin enough that poking a hole through it anywhere in the city was off the list. They'd been busy enough as is with clean up.

So, they'd settled on an empty junkyard in the middle of no where. If everything went very poorly, no one would notice any additional damage between the towering stacks of rusted cars.

Despite her still posture, arms folded tight up under her breasts under the bulk of her coak, she vibrated a coiled tension. Her hood had been impatiently knocked back and she stood on the ground rather than put the minute effort into floating. With the threat to earth dealt with, Taylor was finally free to pursue her brother. Only years of training gave her the willpower to wait for James. Willpower and the hope that he would be able to lead them directly to the captured human.

Taylor hissed a curse under her breath and started to pace, although she knew full well they were a few minutes early.

James was...unsettled. He'd just damn (hah) near destroyed the world. He'd hurt his friends, did and said things that he didn't know could be forgiven. Guilt, a rather unknown emotion to him, was now an overwhelming feeling. He didn't know what to do, or what would happen. But, regardless, he had something to do first.

Phantom's brother was gone missing. James had learned quite a lot while he'd been a 'prisoner', far more than he wanted. Among that was information about his teacher's brother. Even if it had been a stranger, he would have done something. But Taylor was...different. She was in a way his teacher; but that was slowly changing. Or had been before everything went nuts. What it would be, he wasn't sure. But still, he owed it to her, among others, to help fix this.

He appeared in junkyard in an uncustomary burst of flame, still bleeding off the excessive energy he'd been wielding, and glanced up. Given the time difference down there, it felt like years since he had seen the night sky. He shook his head; he'd have time to marvel later. He nodded to Taylor. "Ok, I'm here. We'll have him back soon." He said nothing about the events he had caused; it had been practically a personal affront to her and her work. For now, he was just trying to ignore...everything and help make amends.

When Hellion showed his face, Avenger let himself be seen for the first time. "Just glad you could make it." This mission also let Jack avoid the feeling of butterflies he felt around Taylor these days whenever he let his mind wander too far into the future. "How long in Hell should we prepare for?" He crouched low as he joined them, putting his considerable height below the other two.

"I'm not sure, I don't know which hell-shard they've taken him too," It was Taylor's voice behind Phantom's mask. It lacked the boom and echo that she generally used whenever in costume, and sounded both tense and weary. She gave James a shadow of a smile for his encouragement, and reached to tug her hood up. As the cloth settled around her face, she started to sound a little bit more like her old self. "Some realms move at different speeds but they're probably not going to take him to one of those. My guess is he's in a pocket realm near the lower levels, which shouldn't cause any of us any physical problems. I assume Hellion is immune to the blistering heat of the lower circles of hell."

James nodded. "The time differential is pretty congruent down there. Maybe a few seconds off but for the most part, it's the same. It's a small periphery pocket to keep the guy from getting stumbled across by the bigger powers." He shrugged his shoulders, straightening the long coat a little so it settle on his shoulders. He really needed to get a costume one of these days. Not that it mattered where they were going. They'd know him no matter what he wore down there. "Yeah, fire doesn't hurt at all. And I'm pretty much immune to any infernal powers we'll come across. Can still be pummeled by a demon of course. "

He frowned before shrugging on shoulder a little. "As for Wraith, the sorcerer, I'm not sure if his powers will work on me. If they are infernal based, I'm clear. Environmentally, it's actually pretty tame. Some lava pits, lots of brimstone. If you breathed, it might be problematic but we'll be fine. He's been stuck down there a while now. He got a 'pass' out to do the job and he nabbed Jackson as a bonus to hurt Phantom. He's pretty cut off down there. Uses imps as messengers and his eyes. Lots and lots of the annoying little things. He's also got quite a few bigger ones too though as muscle. He's supposedly pretty adept at his powers. He's almost certainly expecting Phantom, and given the spying he's been doing, you too Avenger. Not sure if he'd expect me but I doubt it." He sighed. "Which brings me to another point, if this takes too long, my presence will be noticed. The slow sneaky version isn't going to work in our favor. He's likely to know the second we get close or maybe even enter the pocket. But getting to the pocket is pretty easy actually."

"Have entered many places stealthily, said Avenger. "But trust your judgement. Have own issues with magic, but should be fine if suitably cautious." He hrmmed, not quite ready to be as trusting with his face as Taylor...but ultimately deciding that if she'd made that sacrifice, he could too. Pulling back his masks as if he hadn't said anything, Jack went on, "It might work best if we split, honestly."

Taylor nodded her head quickly, agreeing with both of their suggestions, "Also, if we take too long, I'm afraid he'll rabbit. They've got to know that I'll be coming like a wave of fury. Since the last time we met, I left him in hell, I know he's got quite the grudge. Fortunately, and I say that very loosely, they can't kill Jackson in hell. Just make him wish they had."

Her mouth twisted down as she wrestled a fresh wash of anger down. She actually welcomed the fury. Taylor didn't lose her head in her temper, it just provided a much needed burst of adrenaline. She'd rather be angry than frightened, and there was a good deal to be frightened about. "Wrath is, or was, a trickster spirt. If we can grab him, I know just what I intend to do to him."

The last was said with cold finality.

James shrugged. "I'll go with whatever you like. I can certainly keep whatever demonic forces he's got busy. If he's a trickster, we should be careful once we find Jackson too. He's likely had a very bad time," James said seriously. He spoke from personal experience. "And there's a good chance he won't be in his right mind and go after Phantom."

He shrugged. "There are demonic shifters as well though I don't know if he's got any on the roster. Physical appearance might not be entirely reliable. But I can tell. I can see into the core of a being. Their 'soul' if you will. Not exactly used to it yet, but I can do it." He nodded. "I'm as ready as I'll ever be to go back down."

"Then it's time," She reached up, pulling her facemask into place before tugging the hood up to shield her features. The white glow from Phantom's eyes cast eerie shadows from under her hood, "Take my hands."

She extended gloved hands to both of them, encased in black leather. It was hard to say if it was the situation or Phantom's mood reflecting into the stark endless space, but the Void they traveled through seemed darker and colder than 'usual', it's brilliant flashes of light starker against the backdrop of space. Or perhaps that was merely in contrast with the sudden blast of heat and noise that crashed in on their senses as the Void gave way to hell itself. For a brief moment, they were standing in the archetypal hell-world, complete with brimstone smell and overwhelming heat. In the distance, there were pools of lava and the screaming of the damned.

They only had a moment to look blink and adjust but as they dropped their linked hands, each was treated to that twisting, tearing sensation of transport once again. Before there was time to cry out, each hero found themselves deposited into a bare, four-walled room, with only one door on the far wall.

Avenger vanished in an instant, simply disappearing from sight as he moved faster and quicker than the human eye could see. He didn't conceal himself as he best could, instead turning to mist as he drifted through the open door in front of him, high and fast so that he'd pass over any traps left in the doorplate. He kept his ears open, straining them for any sound of Phantom, Hellion, or anyone else in this place. This is not good. How did they manage to separate us?

James looked around curiously. "Ok, this isn't where I was expecting to be." He looked around for the others and frowned. "Someone's not playing nice." He concentrated on his surrounding and looked closely. If needed, he'd shift back out. But first, he was going to see what was going on here...