Abra Kadabra [IC]

alderwitch

"You can be righteously angry all you want," said Jack, his arm going around Taylor's shoulders, "but my sex life is none of your business. I'm not going to hurt Taylor so you can feel satisfied that I'm not eating orphans." He thought quickly. "But _beyond_ my sex life...I don't feed on civilians, and I don't steal from blood banks anymore, because that's wrong too in its own way." He looked up at Dark Star, his body and face set. "I feed in small amounts from bad men I've already rendered unconscious. And from the willing. Which means Taylor and I are monogamous. Is that sufficient for you?"

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor turned her face into Jack's shoulder, cheeks flagged with color. It was very tempting to let the floor swallow her up. Unfortunately, despite being irked with Jack she didn't really want to leave him with either Moira or Dark Star. For very different reasons. When she felt like she could meet anyone's eyes without bursting into flames, Taylor picked up the thread of explanation.

"You say 'vampire' like they're one uniform creature with one uniform set of behavior. They aren't, no more than werewolves, mummies, or ghosts. Or aliens. Their abilities vary, their morals vary and their loyalties vary." Taylor said, finding refuge in her usual role as mystic advisor but she had a stranglehold on the back of Jack's belt. "If you see a vampire committing a crime, I don't think any of us expect you to do anything but what you feel is right. With all due respect, Dark Star, you are no more equipped to take on the supernatural underworld than I am to undertake a quest against an alien armada. While I have the power to do so, I lack the knowlege. If you have decided you no longer trust those you know with mystical acumen, I suggest that you make other allies who do have that knowledge if a personal crusade is something you feel you must do."

A muscle flexed in Taylor's jaw and she took a steadying breath. Listening to the rounds of accusations was very, very hard. Her voice was measured and quiet, "I thought that you at least knew me better than that. I have never - would never - silently condone that sort of activity on Jack's part, or any of the rest of you for that matter. I summoned Moira as a favor, out of friendship with you all. Not once in your outrage with Jack - who you will stop to question - has one of you thought of me. I am clearly either an idiot dupe or a spineless accomplice. It is a very sobering thought and one that will bother me for quite some time, I assure you. Now, is there any other questions we can answer?"

Taylor's shoulders had squared during her impromptu speeach but when she asked the question it was devoid of humor. At this point, she was relatively certain that nothing worse could come bubbling up.

"Is that sufficient for you?"

"It is enough for me."

The Scarab finally stood up from her silent reverie, stepped down from her dais, and turned back and forth between the assembled guests, addressing them in turn.

"Moira, I am very disappointed in you. Why were you not simply honest with everyone in the first place about your involvement with Jack? Why did you seek to absolve yourself of responsibility for your actions? Why attempt to sow discord and strife among people you call 'friends?' Why sabotage their happiness for your own selfish catharsis or gain? Have your Olympian relatives influenced you so thoroughly that you have forgotten what it means to be a hero?"

"As convincing a disguise as it has become, Ace only appears to be acting like a petty jerk. His snide demeanor masks a very real concern that you are a monster and no one else seems to care. Obviously, I disagree vehemently with his assessment."

"Jack no longer feeds from the innocent, and he puts all of the considerable power at his disposal toward protecting them and making this city a better place. I admit some reflexive revulsion on my part when his last few indiscretions came to my attention. But they are minor stumbles on a path that has, on the whole, led to an astonshing level of redemption, given the circumstances of its origin."

"Feeding on a few drops of your partner's blood during sex is, as with any other act, wrong, when you do it without your partner's consent. Jack understands this, and it is not a mistake he will repeat. It is also, frankly, not nearly as big a deal as you are making it out to be. It is a form of physical assault, but a minor one. It is not life-threatening, and it is not even in the same league as the type of torture and violation you are all implying it to be. Take my word for it."

"Jack is not a perfect man. But he never stops trying to be a better man than he is. That is why I trust him. And why, until such a day as he proves himself unworthy of that trust, I will block any attempt to imprison or destroy him with every resource at my disposal."

Ace's eyes slitted dangerously at Jacks accusation, a sign perhaps that the barb had stung. He waited through Scarabs exposition somewhat mollified that someone at least understood his concerns even if they dismissed them.

When he spoke it was in a much more serious tone, "You're right Jack I should focus on the real issue at hand." He turned to the rest of the group, "My concerns about Jack go far beyond his day to day behavior, He doesn't commit any of those crimes now, and while I think some of you are too quick to forgive those past transgressions, my true issue is with the dismissal of his daily struggle not to fall to his baser instincts." He glanced around at all of them, "You can trust him to fight but I have seen little to convince me that anyone is actually watching to ensure he doesn't stumble again. Taylor likely, I hope, watches for missteps but none of us can watch him at every moment and personally I would rather prevent a crime than avenge one."

Ace turned to Jack once more, "I'll leave it at this Jack. You have done much to redeem yourself and fight the nature of what you are. For that I have not turned my resources to your imprissonment or destruction, why I have carried your secret in good trust." He hoped the others understood precisely what a stretch that had been for Ace. "But I don't trust your ability to fight it forever, I don't honestly even trust your ability to comprehend forever."

"So far, Jack's ability to control his hunger has only grown over time. I'd say he's winning the war. And the lot of you seem ready to come at him with torches and pitchforks because he gave Stesha a hickey and lied about it. This isn't junior highschool. Let us please try to retain some sense of perspective, and give credit where it is due."

If he wasn't an energy being with no skin tone, he'd be blushing furiously at all this sex talk. He really didn't want to know any of this. Dark Star sighed. "I can't say that I'm happy about drinking from the criminals. But the damage done is far less than the beating they would receive. I'm very sorry I had to ask and that Scarab was needed to verify it. The facts were certainly not in your favor from what was heard. It had to be done. Again, I apologize if you were offended by all of this."

He glanced at Taylor and nodded. "I'm well aware I know little of this and that others that I trust, such as yourself, know FAR more than I could hope to learn any time soon. I know I'm not equipped for such a thing. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't do it to protect and save lives." He sighed again. "I didn't mean to belittle your intelligence or knowledge Taylor. I did indeed think of you. But the...accusations had to be dealt with first. If they were true, then it could have some awful possibilities. Again, I find myself apologizing. I did not mean to ignore you or belittle your position."

He floated upwards. "It seems that no matter what I do or say, I end up insulting or hurting someone. I let my emotions get the better of me and I acted badly. I was and still am concerned, not just for Stesha, not just for my friend, but for everyone. I wanted to make sure they are all safe and protected. Yet I managed to handle this all quite poorly. Since this seems to be at an end and resolved to an unhappy conclusion, I'll take my leave. Again, I'm sorry." He slowly headed for the ceiling. He wasn't sure where he'd go. He wasn't exactly welcome or wanted anywhere at this point and his own emotions were far from settled. He still hoped this would all somehow work out, even if he was beginning to doubt it ever would.

Moira wished she had powers. Well other than being really strong. This was not the time to smack things around. She would argue back, but she remembered an old proverb. "It is better to let someone think you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." She had said to much today. She would not cause any more pain.Slinking into the background she watched the arguments progress without her. Now if she were asked her opinion she'd give it. Though she stifled her thought. No more help today. No more help.

Jack closed his eyes, bowing his head in shame. The weight of his own deeds, and the anger of his friends, was a weight he well-deserved, for all that some of them seemed eager to put some of it off. I'm too much a special project for them to admit my sins, he thought unhappily. And Dark Star's the only one who...He shook his head, then leaned close to Taylor and murmured again those dangerous words. "Let's get the hell out of here. Anywhere."

"I appreciate the apology, Dark Star." Taylor responded soberly, "And I am equally sorry for the strife this has caused both you and Stesha."

She turned her face up at Jack's murmur and nodded her assent. Tucked up against his side, Jack could feel the tension she radiated. Taylor glanced back at Scarab, Ace and Moira.

"Thank you. You know where to find us if you need us." Taylor's gaze sliped to Moira and and she added quietly, "I would very much appreciate it if you could explain to Stesha. I'm not sure she'll ever talk to me again either way but it would at least help me."

Taylor closed her eyes, the gem at her throat sparkling with its dark light as she and Jack vanished from the room with a faint pop.