Once Upon A Midnight [IC]

alderwitch

Taylor laughed and tossed the snow she'd scraped off the tombstone at James for his good natured ribbing. Brushing the remains of the snow off her hands, she responded to Deadhead.

"Its for business as well as if you'd like to stop by to visit. Jack's easier to get a hold of than I am generally. I have a bad habit of leaving my cell phone in a dimensional pocket." She admitted with a shrug of her shoulders, "At least it doesn't go off during class that way."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Call ahead first," said Jack with all seriousness. "I often carry out business in and around the apartment that shouldn't be interrupted." Even if he'd decided to be open with these people, there was no reason to trust them with everything. Despite his seriousness, he did shoot a quick grin at James as he said, "I'm somewhat familiar with your love life as well, Hellion, and I think you have no stones to throw in that department. Just keep business visits for business, and we'll all be fine."

"Alright. I guess I'll have to take you up on your offer one of zese days. Also, vhen my place is finished, all of you are velcome to stop by vhenever you vish. Just remember, it is being made for someone of my size. You vill feel like a child again because you von't be able to reach ve lightsvitch. Just do me a favor and don't scare my cat da?" Atlas looked around the group for a moment. "Anyone have any ozer news?"

James ducked, laughing and letting the handful of snow fly by. Most of it anyway. The rest quickly melted and evaporated with a little assistance from his powers. "Hey, I'll have you know that my love life is quite busy and very sordid. But I'm not doing the whole mushy, deeply in love thing. That's enough to make someone ill. Sheesh," he said with humor. Truthfully, he envied them for that. Finding a special someone was a big deal. But that didn't mean he couldn't poke fun at them for it. He wanted to ask Atlas if his cat was like a tiger or something appropriately sized, but good natured ribbing only went so far. The big guy had it tough and James didn't want to push it too hard, especially since they had just met.

Dead Head ignored Jack's and James' talk of their love lives, "y'all are welcome here at my place anytime, too. Ah don't think the neighbors'll mind too much. Well, they might mind some of ya," he nodded towards James, "but ah'm sure I can vouch for ya. Just watch where ya stand," he nodded this time to Atlas, "ah don't know if all the 'rooms' can handle ya. After a few decades, some shifting in th'earth does happen, and I wouldn't wanna see ya suddenly fall six feet into th'dirt."

"Callin' ahead will be a bit difficult for me, though," the revenant added, "seein' as how the only phone I can access is the one in St. Stephens. Pay phones just ain't as common as they used to be, and it ain't like ah've got a way t'charge a mobile."

"Oh!," he suddenly shouted, and the green flames in his eves flared brighter. "We should get together for movie night sometime! Y'know, when we ain't stoppin' cultists an' monsters an' such."

"Do you like schlocky horror movies?" Taylor asked eagerly, stepping forward a bit from the tombstone she'd been leaning against. She was quite genuine in her enthusiasm. It was rare, somehow especially among their small community of supernaturals to find people interested in a good horror flick. It might be because they were generally cast as the bad guys. Frankly, Taylor didn't think Jack had a lot of room to complain, at least vampires were cast as romantic villians. They certainly weren't ever painted green. "Jack's not a fan of the genre but I have an epic collection. I like a good disaster flick now and again but nothing beats the classics."

"Like 'em?! I lo-" he began to reply, with obviously a great deal of enthusiasm, before his jaw abruptly fell off. "aww, da'it! 'Scuse 'e a 'inute...."

Dead Head quickly bent down to retrieve his misplaced mandible, and jammed it back into his face. Disturbingly, the bones and muscles re-knitted themselves until it was back on properly.

"Test... test... popsicle... ping pong... mamma mia... okay, we're good! Now," he continued, as if nothing had happened, "schlocky horror movies -- I love 'em! Can't get enough! Though it's been... shoot... years since I've seen anything new. Theatres ain't as easy to sneak into as they look t'be on tv, andit's hard to get Netflix delivered if yain't got a permanent address!"

James shrugged. "I'm not exactly the church going-type. And not just because setting foot on holy ground hurts beyond belief." He blinked at the two hero enthusiastically discussing bad movie. "Not exactly my favorite kind of movie but they can be fun. Especially the old-school kind. If you want, I'll see if I can get you a pass or key to a theatre. Or I suppose we could just build you a home threatre somewhere. Assuming Jack and Taylor's place doesn't have one that is." Shouldn't be too hard given his connections and such either way. Something he'd have to look into after this.

• 2 weeks later...

Jack shifted uncomfortably as Dead Head's jaw fell off. He liked to think he didn't judge anyone, but the reminder of his own undead nature wasn't pleasant to think about. Would Taylor love me if I looked like that? he thought a little bleakly. Still, he was no one to judge. Could he really hold himself above anyone else in matters like this? "It's important for us to be friends," he said quietly. "And you're all welcome in my home."

"I have to skip movie theaters too." Taylor commiserated with Dead Head in an aside, "My startle reflex results in phasing and I'd end up ghosting through three rows of people. Which is quite a scare for them and not so good for my whole secret identity thing. So I've expanded my movie collection. Jack isn't a horror buff so we haven't even watched a bunch of them."

She smiled over at her boyfriend, shifting slightly on her perch so that she could press a hand against the cold leather of his jacket. Taylor wasn't sure the rest of the newly dubbed Midnighters realized what a gesture it was for Jack to invite everyone into his home. She squeezed his arm gently in support and quickly provided the directions before adding, "We'll meet there next time. I'm willing to trade ambience for seats that don't get my butt wet."

Taylor scooted off the headstone in question and began brushing the snow off her jeans. Sure the cold didn't bother her but that didn't make wet and clammy jeans comfortable either.

• 2 weeks later...

Atlas heaved his tremendous backside off the ground at Taylor got off her perch as well, dusting some snow off himself as he got up. He had stayed pretty quiet in the past few minutes. He was still processing everything, it all seemed so surreal. He could have honestly said any day before now that he had never been in a conversation where a vampire, a demon, a witch and a zombie were all discussing horror movies. He expected one of those MTV yahoos to suddenly burst out saying I got busted, or X'd or whatever it was they were calling it now.

"Never been one for ze scary movies, zough if I am going to be hanging vith you lot, I guess I should start doing my research or somezing like zat."

"So," Dead Head replied to Jack's invitation, shifting to a thick Bela Lugosi accent, "you bid us velcome?" He breathed out an echoing laugh and slapped one of the tombstones as he took a few steps towards Atlas.

"I'm sure we'll find some good ones for ya, man. Why, " he said with a snap of his fingers and a flare of his eerie eye-flames, "I even remember seeing a few Russian horror flicks, back in my college days. Viy, the Spirit of Evil was one, and... The Queen of Spades, and... and The Portrait, and Satan Exultant! Oh," he grinned sheepishly at Hellion, then back to Atlas, "maybe we'll skip that last one. One of the students had bootlegged 'em over on Betamax tapes... they still make those, don't they?"

Dead Head honestly did not know: he'd been living on the road for the past decade, owning nothing but what was in his pockets.