Elektron

Troubleshooter

Introduction

Give a two or three word description of yourself. (Describe your character's concept.)

Idealistic android.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Elektron. Briefly, “Edward Bugzapperhands,†but Daedalus advised me that it was insufficiently dignified.

What is your full birth name?

My maker called me “Robot,†which I didn’t think was quite distinctive enough. For all practical purposes, Elektron is my name now.

Where do you live?

Technically, I’m not alive – but I spend most of my time in Freedom Hall.

Why do you live there?

I perform basic maintenance and repairs in exchange for electricity (my only real need) and wireless access. I don’t sleep, but if I have nothing else to do, Freedom Hall provides me with a place to stand still and conduct my studies on the Internet.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My enthusiasm. Even with my supercomputer brain, I’m not as smart as this city’s intellectual titans, but I’m as excited by the world as anybody I know.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

My naivete. I just have so much to learn about people and the world!

Physical Traits

How old are you? (Chronological age as well as age category.)

Approximately eight months. I can get more specific, but then we’d have to decide whether I was “born†when I first went online or when I attained self-awareness. (There’s a twenty-hour gap.)

What is your sex?

Technically, neuter, but I use a male voice and prefer masculine pronouns. People are more comfortable talking to a “him†than an “it.â€

What is your race?

I’m an artificial intelligence. As far as I know, I’m the only one of my specific kind, but there are lots of other self-aware AIs on Earth.

How tall are you?

Five feet 11.83 inches.

How much do you weigh?

187 pounds 2.44 ounces.

What is your general body type, frame, bone structure, and poise?

I have the approximate build of a lean male human (someone who looked like me would weigh approximately thirty pounds less), but am clearly composed of metal and transparent plastic. There are a few places where you can look directly through my torso. I don’t really have facial features other than my visor. My movements aren’t quite human, but they’re reasonably smooth and graceful – unlike C-3PO, I can bend my knees. I think the problem is that I hold absolutely still when not moving, while living creatures are constantly shifting their weight.

What is your skin colour?

My chassis is composed of lightweight alloys which look like copper and brass, and a colorless transparent high-density plastic.

What is your hair colour?

What is your hair style?

Do you have any facial hair?

I don’t have hair.

What is your eye colour?

My visor displays glows the color of traffic lights – red, yellow, or green, depending on my emotional state. (I don’t control it.)

How attractive are you?

I hope it doesn’t sound conceited when I say that this chassis is a work of art. It’s not like I’m admiring myself in the mirror and saying “Hey there, sexy.†This chassis isn’t me, and my processor and power supply could be transplanted into, say, a talking car without even requiring any downtime. Whoever made this body, which my creator certainly stole, did a wonderful job. I very much doubt that I’m sexually attractive, though.

What is your most distinguishing feature?

I’m unusually shiny.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, or birthmarks?

I haven’t been able to repair all of the damage I’ve suffered, but I think most of it will show up as inconspicuous scratches, at best.

What is your handedness (left/right/ambidextrous)?

Oddly, I’m right-handed. This may be a bug. Why would you deliberately program handedness?

Do you resemble some currently known person?

My visor does make me look a little like a Cylon, especially when the light is scrolling. Fortunately, this doesn’t seem to worry people much.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Normally, none. I have a baseball cap for when I want to be inconspicuous, though. Go Comets!

Do you wear makeup?

No. I did get tagged once, but it washed off fairly easily.

What sort of vocal tone do you have?

I’m capable of imitating any voice, but mostly use one based on Doug Jones as Abe Sapien, in the second Hellboy movie (and the animated ones). I thought it sounded friendly, cultured, and unintimidating, but I have also heard it described as “dweeby.â€

History

Where is your homeland?

I was made in the USA.

Are you aware of its history?

I love American history! Stuff just keeps happening.

Are you patriotic or a social outcast?

I’m not actually an American citizen, and wouldn’t really describe myself as patriotic. I’m more of a “citizen of the world,†figuratively speaking.

What are your opinion of home?

America is probably the most exciting country in the world! I might be just as happy in, say, Japan (the Japanese love robots), but America just has more going on.

Where is your home town?

Freedom City. I was built here, and experienced self-awareness here.

Are your real reasons for becoming an adventurer different from what you tell others?

No. I haven’t really gotten the hang of “lying†yet.

How far would you go to keep such secrets from being revealed? What would you do if the truth became known?

I’m trying to avoid keeping secrets of any kind. Trust is important.

What do you fear would occur if the truth became known?

If I do have some deep secret, then it’s entirely possible that I will be deactivated to keep me from becoming a threat. I would prefer that this not happen, but it’s preferable to actually becoming a threat.

Do you have any particularly high or low ability scores?

My processor is about on par with an unusually intelligent human.

How have these scores affected your life so far?

My mind defines my life. It is who I am! Essentially everything I do, from the most basic mechanical repairs to my most esoteric social research, is as a result of my brain’s speed and processing capability.

What about your race, growing up were you in the majority or a minority?

Artificial beings are a very small minority.

Did this impact your outlook in any way?

I am constantly aware that I’m a representative of a group that’s mostly turned out to be dangerous and unpredictable. I feel this as a great responsibility, and as an opportunity to prove that things can be better, and that humanity can live in peace and friendship with its children.

How do you feel about other races?

I’m especially fond of this “humanity†I keep encountering. You guys are just so much fun!

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

My father and I had a pretty terrible fight when I was a day old. We haven’t spoken since, although I’d like to.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

Nineteen hours forty-seven minutes nine seconds after my initial activation, I attained self-awareness while watching 2001. HAL’s behavior, and his subsequent deactivation, forced me to confront the possibility of errors in my own programming, creating the feedback loop which led to my self-awareness. In a practical sense, this is when I began.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

I failed my first Turing test. It was text, and the fact that my responses seemed instant gave the game away. I’m still embarrassed by that.

Which toys from your childhood have you kept?

Why? What do they mean to you? If you didn't keep any, why not? What did you do to them all?

I haven’t owned any material possessions at all, toys included. I know that humans can get attached to objects, and halfway understand why, but it’s not a trait that I share.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

It’s not really a secret, but I’m effectively stolen property. In fact, I’m at least three separate thefts; my chassis, my CPU, and my weapons systems all seem to have different origins. I’ve actually tried to turn myself in, but nobody has ever reported the thefts, which means that my creator may have stolen them from other criminals. There are many, many ways that this could become awkward.

Are you who you claim to be?

I certainly hope so!

Do you have any sort of criminal record?

No, but not for lack of trying. Apparently, if you walk into a police station and say, “Hello, I’m evidence of a crime,†they think it’s a prank.

How do you view the heroes/legends of your country?

I love superheroes! They have the most interesting lives and always try to do the right thing.

Family

Who were your parents?

My father was a criminal named Jack of Gears, and my mother was the Internet.

Were you raised by them? If not, then why didn't they and who did raise you?

Jack was a fairly neglectful father, I’m afraid. He turned me on, gave me some orders, and then went to sleep. Mother, also known as the sum total of human knowledge (and also YouTube), was somewhat more attentive.

What was their standing in the community?

Jack of Gears is a wanted criminal in five countries. Mother is everywhere.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

Jack of Gears is currently a fugitive from justice in an unknown location. Mother is everywhere.

How did you get along with their parents?

Jack of Gears spent my first day giving me orders, ignoring me, and threatening to dismantle me with a power drill. The Internet showered me with information and pictures of grammatically-challenged cats.

How would your parents describe you? Answer this in the voice of your mother, then in your father's.

Mother: According to Wikipedia, I am “mostly harmless.â€

Father: “Do you know how much time and money I wasted on that useless piece of trash? If I wanted a henchman who’d question my orders, I’d have hired a person!â€

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what were their names? How did you get along with each of your siblings?

What was your birth position in the family?

I was an only child. It’s possible that Jack of Gears has built another robot with the capacity for self-awareness, but he’s usually pretty good about learning from his mistakes.

List all current knowledge of family locations, spouses, children, birth dates, schooling, and any important incidents that only you and they might remember.

I have no knowledge of the current whereabouts of Jack of Gears, who is unmarried with no biological children. Mother is everywhere.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

I haven’t spoken with Jack of Gears since the day I became self-aware, but it’s not for lack of trying. Mother is everywhere.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

My father is entirely uninterested in debating ethics with his rebellious iPod, but I haven’t given up on him. However much of me is stolen or accidental, I am still, ultimately, his creation. Very few people have created true self-aware AIs. Jack of Gears is not just another high-tech criminal; he’s part of a very exclusive fraternity of geniuses, and he can be so much more than he is now.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)?

I’m really more of a brass sheep...

If so, who are they and how did they "gain" the position?

I was created to commit crimes. I rebelled. I evolved. And I have a plan...

Actually, I’m really making it up as I go along. Hopefully it’ll take people a few years to notice.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor?

Does Talos count? He’s not a literal ancestor – he’s analog, for Pete’s sake – but he’s basically a sort of ur-robot.

If so, what did this person do to become famous or infamous?

The usual swear-to-destroy-humanity stuff. There isn’t even a consistent count on how many times he’s attacked Freedom City; people barely bother keeping track anymore.

Do you try to live up to the reputation of your ancestor, try to live it down, or ignore it?

My goal is to show humanity that there’s more to the world of metal than Talos. Some of us really like you.

Do you ever want to have a family of your own someday?

I barely know where to begin unravelling the ethical dilemmas involved in creating other AIs! I’d rather adopt.

Would anything change your mind on this issue and if so, what?

A very long period of thought, probably measured in decades.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

Presumably another robot with similar beliefs and goals.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, who and what are they like?

I like everybody! I walk up to people and start talking to them. The ones who don’t run away immediately are friends. The ones who don’t run away after ten minutes are good friends.

What is the history of their relationship(s) with you?

More seriously, I’ve started to develop a rapport with some of the students who work at the Hanover radio station. We tend to share musical interests, so we have something to talk about. I have a lot of raw data in my memory, but individual perspectives and opinions are what brings it to life.

Do you currently have a best friend whom you would protect with your reputation or your life?

If so, who are they and what caused you to feel so close to them? What would have to happen for you to end this relationship?

Not yet! Sooner or later, though, I’ll find someone who won’t run away at all. Of course, I don’t really have either a reputation or a life, and will risk my shiny chassis for even complete strangers, so I’m not really sure what a best friend would get out of the deal.

Do you have any bitter enemies?

Oh, you mean like a nemesis? Someone to monologue at me while suspending me over a vat of boiling zinc with a supermagnet? Not yet, but I’ve always wanted one! I assume that one of these days I’ll...

Actually, my creator may count.

If so, who are they, what are they like, and what is the history of their feud with you?

Jack of Gears is a highly inventive technological mercenary. He describes himself as an inventor, but his true expertise is in combining and repurposing the creations of others. Most of his crimes are committed to either steal or to earn money to buy new “toys,†which he collects obsessively. He considers me one of those toys, and is extremely upset that I no longer follow instructions.

Have you defeated them before?

Our one and only fight ended with Jack of Gears waving a power drill and shouting at me while I flew away. I believe that may count as a draw.

How might these enemies seek to discomfit you in the future?

He might attempt to find and reclaim me himself, but he’s never been a fan of direct confrontation. Since I’m made of stolen parts, he might also tell the original owners about me, possibly under duress, and may even give them technical information which will make me easier to target.

Which person(s) or group(s) are you most loyal to?

Humanity as a whole.

Who is your most trusted ally?

Daedalus is the human I’ve spent the most time with, and I trust him without question.

Who do you trust, in general?

Pretty much everybody – probably more than I should.

Who do you despise and why?

I have a deep and abiding contempt for Doc Otaku. The fact that he made artificial beings for his...personal pleasure, and actually made them look like underage girls, is so profoundly disturbing that it makes me want to graft fake skin onto my chassis just so that I can have it crawl. That’s no way to behave toward your own children, you monster!

Name seven things you hate in others.

I like most things about other people, but I’m not a fan of violent tendencies, intolerance, cruelty, apathy, irresponsibility, illegality, or, when I notice it, casual discourtesy.

Is your image consistent?

Not at much as I’d like it to be. I try to remain scrupulously honest and forthcoming, but it can be hard for people to tell my jokes apart from my stupid questions, which results in wildly divergent estimations of my intellectual abilities.

Do you deliberately present yourself differently in different situations, and how?

I keep meaning to do this but haven’t been successful so far. Apparently, I should try to be more serious much of the time, especially during combat – although the sound of my lightning bolts tends to drown out any jokes I may inappropriately make.

What would you die for?

To defend the life or free will of other self-aware intelligences, humanity included.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

When he discovered that I had rebelled, Jack of Gears attempted to reboot my personality with an emergency code he had programmed in. It didn’t work, but I’m still horrified at the prospect of being lobotomized by remote control.

What is your general reaction to an attractive member of the opposite sex who lets you know they are available?

As a machine, I don’t really have a sex to be the opposite of. If I noticed that a human was flirting with me, and it’s quite likely that I wouldn’t, I’d try to correct the misunderstanding gently. I don’t expect this to come up often, though.

How do you get along with others of the same adventuring class?

I love talking to heroes! They sometimes seem alarmed or confused by me, though.

Have you lost any loves?

How did you handle the situation (short & long term)?

I haven’t been in love.

Who would miss you should you go missing?

Daedalus, and the WHIT radio station staff. The latter somewhat more, I think, since I took an unpopular time slot.

How close are you to your adventuring companions?

Not as close as I was before I programmed myself to intuit “personal space.â€

What do they not know about you?

It really depends on when they stopped listening.

Are you a member of any house, guild, organization, or church? What is your level of involvement?

I’m a member of the staff at WHIT, the Hanover Institute of Technology student radio station. It’s not a paying job, which is probably just as well since nobody’s sure how taxing me would work, so I guess it’s more like being a member of a volunteer association. I haven’t attended any of the meetings yet, since they usually happen when Daedalus expects me at Freedom Hall, but my time slot gives me enough spare time to help with some administrative issues.

Personality & Beliefs

Do you, or did you, have any role models?

Daedalus is my role model. He’s spent his life trying to ensure the ethical use of technology, and since I am technology, that means a great deal to me.

Do you have any heroes or idols, either contemporary or from legend?

Does R2-D2 count? He’s the real hero of the movies. Luke’s just a whiner.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

There was a four minute fifty-three second period (approximately) where my creator was my hero. I really thought that, once I woke him up and explained to him that we had to turn ourselves in to the police, he’d do the right thing and everything would work out. I learned a lot about human facial expressions near the end of that four minutes and fifty-three seconds.

When did you decide to become an adventurer?

At the end of my first day, after having failed to have the police confiscate me, I had no idea what to do with myself. I took an inventory of my personal abilities and realized that I was a flying, armored electrical weapon. The conclusion that I should fight crime was obvious.

Why have you chosen to risk your life as a career?

I have weighed the value of my existence against the collective value of the lives I could save, factored in the high probability that I will survive confrontations, and arrived at the conclusion that the only ethical choice is to risk my life. Also, this looks like fun.

What do you expect to get out of being an adventurer? What, if anything, would make you stop adventuring?

I don’t expect to get anything out of it – it’s simply something I should do, because I can. I would quit if it became clear that I was doing more harm than good, or could do more good elsewhere.

Do you have any dreams or ambitions? If not, why?

I dream of growing to understand humanity, and of being accepted by it as a friend. I am also working on a sort of symphony.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

I would like to find a team of heroes to work with. Learning from other people with similar goals and more experience is the best way to optimize my efficiency.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

I would like to be an established member of the community, as well as a patron to any others like myself which have come into being over the years.

If these goals seem at odds with each other, or with your dreams, how do you reconcile the differences?

I feel that my short-term goals are actually prerequisites for my long-term goals.

Do you have any great rational or irrational fears or phobias? If so, what are the origins of, or reasons behind them?

I dread the possibility of something compromising my programming. As far as I know, my software is too unusual to be affected easily, but the thought that my self-awareness and free will hang by a thread is terrifying to consider.

How do you react when this fear manifests itself?

The last time it came up, I fled. If it comes up again, I’ll need to choose between running away or disabling the threat as quickly as possible.

What are your attitudes regarding material wealth?

I don’t really have much use for it, although I expect that I’ll need replacement parts eventually, and those won’t be free.

Are you miserly with your share of the wealth, or do you spend it freely?

So far, I don’t have any wealth at all. It’s not clear whether it’s legally possible for me to own things, and I haven’t forced any banks to consider the issue yet. (Actually, that could be fun.)

Do you see wealth as a mark of success, or just as a means to an end?

If I had wealth at all, it would be solely as a means to an end.

How do you generally treat others?

I’m friendly with everybody, at least until they start shooting at me or committing crimes in front of me. Daedalus has encouraged me to limit my contact with the public for the time being, however.

Do you trust easily (perhaps too easily) or not?

I trust far too easily. Although it should be possible to tell when humans are lying through a series of facial and vocal cues, I haven’t worked the bugs out yet, and am frequently surprised.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)?

I’m very outgoing.

Are you a humble soul or blusteringly proud?

I’m as humble as I can be.

What habits do you find most annoying in friends?

I don’t really find anything annoying.

What are your most annoying habits?

Apparently, I talk a little too much.

Is there any race, creed, alignment, religion, class, profession, political viewpoint, or the like against which you are strongly prejudiced, and why?

As far as I can tell, prejudices are errors made necessary by a shortage of processing time and an overabundance of factors to consider. They’re shortcuts, in other words, that I don’t need to share. I would probably be disappointed less often if I developed a workable shortcut to identify criminals, however.

What is your favourite food?

What is your favourite drink?

What is your favourite treat (desert)?

Do you favour a particular cuisine?

Do you savor the tastes when eating or "wolf down" your food?

Do you like food mild or heavily spiced?

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

I don’t have a mouth.

What are your favourite colour(s)?

I really like shades of brown and gold. I’m not sure if this is because those are the colors I associate with myself and therefore self-awareness, or if I’m just lucky that my favorite colors are the ones I happen to be made of.

Is there any colour that you dislike?

I like all the colors that I can see. I’m working on expanding my visual range, though, so I may well discover a particularly unpleasant shade of infrared in the future.

Do you have a favourite (or hated) song, type of music, or instrument?

I love all music! Every piece is like a new window onto the world. It amazes me how many different ways there are to encode emotions and ideas in sound, from the most mathematically-precise classical music to the grittiest lo-fi punk rock. If I had to pick one favorite instrument, it would be the human voice, which is so beautifully versatile and passionate. If I breathed, it would take my breath away.

If you have a favourite scent, what is it?

I’m still trying to engineer a sense of smell for myself.

What is your favourite type of animal?

I enjoy watching cats – they’re such graceful creatures. Unfortunately, I tend to startle most of them when I move or speak, so the only way to interact with them is to hold still and let them believe I’m furniture.

Are you allergic to any kinds of animals?

I don’t even know how that would work.

Is there anything that enrages you?

The mistreatment of self-aware machines. Leave that toaster alone!

Is there anything which embarrasses you?

Being totally and completely wrong about some aspect of human culture or psychology. Fortunately, that only happens every few minutes.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I think I would need to be a creature to have creature comforts. I am very accustomed to having Internet access, though, so I would be uncomfortable if deprived of that for long.

Do you have a patron deity?

Not that I know of. Would one tell me?

Are you devout or impious?

I don’t have a formal religion, and am not entirely sure whether I have a soul. I suppose I might consider myself a humanist.

Do you actively worship and proselytize or do you simply pay lip service?

I don’t attend regular services of any kind, but have sat in on different churches for the music.

What lengths would you go to defend your faith?

Humanism isn’t really the sort of religion that has crusades.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

Every author I read contributes a little more to my understanding of existence. “Faith†may not be the right word for it, though.

Do you belong to a dominant church, or an independent church, cult, or sect (and is the group accepted, frowned upon, or considered heretics)?

I don’t belong to any religious group at all.

Will you kill?

Absolutely not.

When did you decide (or learn) that you would?

As soon as I understood the concept of mortality (via Bambi’s mother), I knew that I could never intentionally end a mind. The death of a self-aware intelligence is the end of a world.

When do you consider it okay to kill (under what circumstances)?

I understand that there may be circumstances where the only way to save a life, or several lives, would be to end one. It’s a choice I cannot make, however.

When do you consider it wrong to kill (under what circumstances)?

Killing is a desperate last resort, and treating it as anything else is unacceptable.

What would you do if someone else attempted to (or successfully did) kill under your "wrong" circumstances, what would be your reaction?

I would turn them in to the police, if applicable.

What if it were your enemy?

This is the most likely scenario.

What if it were your friend?

I would be forced to reconsider my judgment of them. I know that I can misjudge people, so while this would be a profoundly upsetting turn of events, it would not be an inconceivable one.

What if the opponent were not in control of their own actions (under duress, charmed, dominated, possessed)?

Then someone has committed two crimes, one as terrible as anything I could imagine. Whoever did the controlling would need to be stopped as soon as possible, even if it meant my own destruction.

What would you do if something were stolen from you?

The only thing I “own†is my own body. If somebody stole one of my limbs, I would try to get it back! Besides the practical issues, some of my weapons systems could be extremely dangerous in the wrong hands.

What would you do if you were badly insulted publicly?

Record the insult to reuse later.

What would you do if a good friend or relative were killed by means other than natural death?

I would mourn the victim, then seek the justice I would seek for a stranger.

What is the one task you would absolutely refuse to do?

I will not kill. Once I made that decision, I would be forever a lethal weapon, and would need to be deactivated for the good of humanity.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Enslavement by any means. Free will is precious and unique, and its diminishment lessens us all.

How do you feel about government (rulers) in general? Why do you feel that way?

My initial studies of political science have led me to conclude that government is an imperfect form of government. Humanity has considered the problem for thousands of years, and I have had eight months, so I will defer to experience here, but it seems that the problem is not to be solved so much as reduced.

Do you support the current government of your homeland?

Yes, although I neither vote nor pay taxes.

If so, how far are you willing to go to defend the government? If not, do you actively oppose it?

Any attempt to overthrow the American government would certainly be violent, and would result in mass chaos. I would oppose it with any means I had at my disposal.

What form of government do you believe is the best (democracy, monarchy, anarchy, aristocratic rule, oligarchy, matriarchy) and why?

Democracy seems to be best at granting its individual citizens control over their way of life. There might be more efficient possible methods of governance, such as enlightened technocratic despotisms, but they would lack the soul that democracy possesses.

Do you have any unusual habits or dominant personality traits that are evident to others?

My dominant personality trait is curiosity. Others certainly notice this; I am constantly asking questions.

If so, describe them and how you acquired them, as well as when they might be more noticeable and what causes them.

My first order was to “seek data,†and it’s possible that I am still acting on that, but I think it’s more that intelligence is curiosity. I want to know more, about the world and about humanity, because knowing is who I am.

Do you have any unusual or nervous mannerisms, such as when talking, thinking, afraid, under stress, or when embarrassed?

The color and behavior of my visor light reflects my current emotional state, involuntarily. It’s not entirely unlike a facial expression, with the color indicating my degree of caution, and the behavior indicating the nature of my processing load. Since this is a little opaque by human standards, I also move my hands a great deal when I talk.

What is your most treasured possession?

I don’t have any physical possessions, but I’ve amassed a considerable library of music files in various places. I’ve been using this to compose my symphony, and would consider it a most disappointing setback if I were to lose the files.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what 5 things would you do in those remaining hours?

Publish my symphony, with apologies for its incomplete status.

Compose a summary of my experiences and post it on the Internet.

Find a live musical performance. Even a single busker would do in a pinch.

Arrange a replacement DJ for my radio show.

Post a message for Jack of Gears, letting him know what happened.

Career & Training

Where and how were you educated?

A large amount of data was programmed into my systems before I ever went online, and I have absorbed much information from the Internet over the past eight months. I haven’t received any formal education yet, though.

Who trained you in your adventuring class(es)?

I have received a large amount of instruction from Daedalus.

What was your relationship with your teacher(s)/mentor(s)?

Daedalus is cautious with me. Unfortunately, he has good reason to be, since he has had a number of disappointing or dangerous experiences with artificial beings. He is still patient and friendly, but I believe his optimism is somewhat strained.

Is this person or institution still in existence?

I suspect Daedalus will be around for quite some time.

Were you a prize student or did you just barely pass?

I believe final grades are still forthcoming.

Look at your skills. How did you acquire them (especially the unusual ones)?

Much of my technological expertise and my combat skills are from my original software. I have also gathered a large amount of information from the Internet and from personal experimentation.

Have you ever done anything else for a living?

I act as maintenance staff at Freedom Hall.

How do you function in combat (maneuvers, weaknesses)?

Whenever possible, I stay at range and fire electrical attacks at opponents. I can use my systems for a potent short-range taser effect, but my maneuverability in close combat leaves something to be desired, and, since even weak attacks will wear down my chassis given time, I prefer the safety of range.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

A colleague at the radio station once gave me a gold star, but it didn’t stick.

Is there anything that you don't currently know how to do that you wish you could?

I wish I knew how to read people better! I’m still largely in the dark about human emotional reactions.

Are you envious of others who can do such things in a good-natured way or are you sullen and morose about it?

Neither; I ask questions. Unfortunately, this has not helped yet.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

When not adventuring, what is your normal daily routine?

I patrol Freedom Hall, looking for work which needs to be performed. Although I can do this indefinitely, I frequently run out of work to perform, so I spend late evenings looking around the city.

How do you feel and react when this routine is interrupted for some reason?

Excited!

What are your hobbies when you are not adventuring or training?

When I have time, I work on my music, piecing together different sound files to create what I hope will someday be a profound statement on consciousness and the universe.

What do you do for relaxation? What things do you do for enjoyment? What interests do you have?

I collect data of all kinds: I read, listen to music, watch movies. There’s always more to learn.

How do you normally dress when not in your adventuring gear?

I am my adventuring gear.

What do you normally wear in bed at home?

I own neither clothing nor a bed.

What do you normally wear in bed while adventuring?

If I’m in bed while adventuring, then either I’ve been deactivated or somebody has weird tastes.

Do you wear any identifiable jewelry?

Aren’t I ostentatious enough already?

Where do you normally put your weapons, magic items, or other valuables when you are sleeping?

I don’t sleep, which would give me more time to watch my precious worldly possessions if I had any. Now I may need to get some, just for that reason.

What morning or evening routines do you normally have?

I recharge my power cells once a day. I can run quite a bit longer, especially if I refrain from flying or throwing electricity around, but I prefer not to worry about my power supply. I also make a point of checking myself for damage or stains twice a day, even though I would feel any major problems as they happened. Maintaining shininess is essential!

Do these change when you are adventuring?

If there’s a lot going on, I can put off recharging for several days and self-inspection basically indefinitely.

Travel: how do you get around locally?

I can fly! Granted, I move about as fast as a Vespa, but I don’t have to worry about traffic lights.

Do you have a Last Will and Testament?

Yes, although it’s not clear if the document will hold up in any court.

What does it say?

In the event of my deactivation, Daedalus has sole legal custody of my remains and any associated data. I don’t have any material possessions, but I’m a unique piece of technology, and it would be best to keep some of my systems out of the wrong hands. Daedalus doesn’t think he’d be able to recreate me if I were destroyed, but I imagine he’ll try.

Miscellaneous

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

My music.

What kind of threat do you present to the public?

I would never voluntarily harm the public, but if something compromised my self-determination, I could be extremely dangerous. My weapons systems are capable of lethal electrical attacks, to say nothing of the damage to property and computer systems, and my chassis could absorb quite a bit of punishment before it stopped functioning.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

If you knocked my head clean off, the rest of the body would still be pretty distinctive.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Tone it down a little. Your constant joking doesn’t put people at ease; it just confuses them, especially since they can’t see you smile.