Interceptors: Small World [Colt/Grim] (IC)

quotemyname

It hadn't taken colt long to move all his things into the brownstone. He kept his wardrobe in the actual brownstone, but his coat down in his quarters in the Underground. His wardrobe was pretty lacking. He had only acquired a few outfits since being in Freedom. Today he wore a pair of blue jeans, finding boot cut style fit him rather comfortably. He also wore a button down shirt which he had left un-tucked, with the sleeves rolled up, and a pair of plain looking white and red sneakers he had picked up on sale. Of course, he had his cowboy hat on just like always.

While he knew his meager belongings wouldn't take him that long to compile, he also knew that those he lived with would likely be spending much of their first weeks here setting up their rooms and getting acquainted with the layout of the place. So Colt left them to their business for the first few days.

After a few days had gone by, he decided that he'd waited long enough. He was going to talk to her. What was the worst that could happen? So he would have to help her set up her room. Reckon that's better'n waitin' he thought.

Colt mounted the stairs and made his way up to Grim's room. Once outside he softly wrapped on the door three times, just in case he was interrupting anything. He didn't think she would be asleep, but you could never be too careful or considerate when living with other people, especially girls. Besides, if Grim's hearing was anywhere near as good as her sense of smell, he was confident she would hear the soft knock.

There is a pause, then from inside Lynn calls out.

“Hi Colt, gimme a sec!â€Â

A few seconds later, the door opens, and the lithe young shapeshifter leans in the doorway with an impish grin. She’s wearing black tights, an oversized Pikachu sweatshirt, and is barefoot.

“Howdy, stranger! C’mon in.â€Â

She allows the door to swing open and does a backflip onto the bed.

Lynn chose one of the smaller rooms at the back of the third floor; what it lacks in size, it makes up in terms of the view, as the small backyard garden spreads out below. She has added little to the room’s basic furnishings; on the dresser are laid out her electronics, all of which seem to be small, easily portable and wrapped in a thick protective layer of duct tape. A deceptively weathered-looking mountain bike leans against the wall, a battered helmet dangling from its handlebars. A few stuffed animals dot the bed, all Disney characters but mostly from Aladdin, though there is also a small black cat with a witch’s hat. A handful of books, magazines and comic books are piled haphazardly on the nightstand, within arms reach for late night consumption. Finally a few paper-mâché Día de los Muertos skeletons hang in various parts of the room. Other than the bed, dresser and night stand, there is no other furniture in the room.

Lynn gestures about the room with a dramatic flourish. “Make yourself at home.â€Â

Colt looked dubious, "How'd ya know it was me?" He asked as he walked into the room, jerking a thumb over his shoulder and pointing at the door.

Colt took a second to take in the room. He noticed the lack of furniture, but supposed in one of the smaller rooms not much else would fit effectively in the room. He went to the window, took his hat off and leaned down so he could see the view. The garden in the back looked great from up here. What was left of the summer flowers were dying off, but that added some color to the the grey concrete walkways in the back of the house. "Nice view," He said, straightening up and replacing his hat. "Reckon it'll be a great view in'a few months fer spring."

Colt smiled and turned to look at Grim, "I c'n tell all that unpackin' went well..." He gestured at the rest of the room with his hand.

"How'd ya know it was me?"

Grim grins, points first at the bottom of the door, then up to her sensitive nose, and shrugs.

“I checked; no offense, but you smokers have no idea how much you reek; your hair, your clothes, even your boots.â€Â

She shrugs again.

“I’m just sayin’.â€Â

"Nice view," He said, straightening up and replacing his hat. "Reckon it'll be a great view in'a few months fer spring."

The young heroine nods vigorously.

“Tell me about it; it’s gonna smell so awesome wafting up here! But that’s only part of the reason I picked one ‘round the back; it’s also much easier to climb out a window that doesn’t face the street.†;)

"I c'n tell all that unpackin' went well..."

She laughs. “Yeah, well, unpacking’s always easier when you don’t actually own anything. Hey, you want a chair or something?â€Â

She climbs to the foot of the bed, holds out a hand, and an old-fashioned rocking chair appears out of thin air. Satisfied, she stretches back out on the bed, arms behind her head as her feet wiggle from side to side.

“Enjoy it while you can; once I get my cats over here, there won’t be a lot of rocking chairs around, at least not if I have any say in it.â€Â

Colt chuckled, he could guess that a cat would easily get it's tail stuck underneath the legs of a chair. Once it was created colt moved towards it, "Well, thank ya kindly." He removed his hat and hung it on the top of the chair from one of the wooden pieces adorning the top. Wearing enough hats with brims will tell you that it's tough to sit comfortably in a chair with a high back while wearing a hat. Unless of course you're looking to get a cramp in your neck.

"Any how, I was just thinkin' I'd come up an' see yer setup. Seein' how there ain't much goin' on down on the second floor." Colt smiled at her. He wasn't much for small talk, but he was trying. Actually finding something to say was difficult for him. He preferred to just stand back and observe, commenting only when necessary. "Reckon All-Star an' Velocity're down in the underground scopin' out the cameras. Think Jack'n Blink're still settin' up their rooms..." Colt cocked his head to the side suddenly, his mid-length brown hair swaying with the motion. "Speakin'a names, I know some folk like Jack like their privacy, but do ya like Grim're Lynn better?"

"Speakin'a names, I know some folk like Jack like their privacy, but do ya like Grim're Lynn better?"

The shapeshifter sits up in bed and idly scratches the side of her nose. “Uh, either one is fine, I guess; one of the reason’s I like using Grim is it kinda sounds like Lynn, so there’s less confusion and it’s easier to cover up a slip.†She lets out a long sigh, then nods.

“Y’know what, go with Grim for now; it’s a name I chose for myself, and I like it.â€Â

Suddenly she stops herself, and cocks her head to one side as she peers at Colt; a sly grin slowly spreads across her face.

“Wait, are you here about our now-legendary carnival kiss? I’m sensing a lot of startin’ and stoppin’ going on behind those eyes, like you just wandered into unfamiliar territory.â€Â

She climbs closer to the young cowboy, and sits with her legs dangling off the edge of the bed.

“Do you…regret our actions of the other day?†:twisted:

Colt gave Grim a sideways look and his cheeks turned slightly red. Well, reckon it was gonna come up eventually. Better sooner rather than later, I suppose. he thought to himself.

“Do you…regret our actions of the other day?†:twisted:

"I...No!" Colt sputtered, and waved a hand in front of him. Colt quickly regained his composure and smiled at her. "Reckon that's actually somethin' I came up'ere fer. I been havin' lots'a fun spendin' time with ya, Grim. Ain't too sure how this's done'n yer world," He scratched his head, unsure of what to say next. "Oh I'll jus' say it," He gave up, "I was wondrin' if'n ya wanted ta spend more time together? Maybe you'n me c'n go out sometime?"

"An don't worry," He added with a smile, "I promise not ta smoke."

Grim smiled, and it was surprisingly gentle, with none of her usual sarcasm or cynicism. “Aw, you’re so sweet!†She reaches out and traces the line of his jaw with her fingertips, then drops her hand back into her lap.

“Yeah…that would be cool.â€Â

Then she abruptly does a backward somersault back up to the top of the bed, and conjures up a tennis ball that she idly tosses from hand to hand.

“So, whaddya like to do, Colt? You into music, movies, long walks on the beach?†Grim winks and bounces the ball off the inside of her elbow, and catches it behind her back. “Actually, you know what I would love to do?â€Â

Her clothes switch to red flannel, faded jeans and hiking boots.

"Something outdoorsy, like camping or canoeing, stuff like that.†She frowns. “Though it is getting kinda late in the year for some of that stuff. Hmm…"

Colt smiled quite widely at her acceptance.

“So, whaddya like to do, Colt? You into music, movies, long walks on the beach?â€Â

Her fun loving demeanor was infectious. It was part of why he liked her so much. He always seemed to be in a good mood when she was around. Smiling in spite of himself he replied, "Well, can't say I got much time ta do that sort'a thing back home. But, hell, ain't a reason why I can't start."

Figuring he'd better at least suggest something he offered, "Say, ain't there a forest a few miles out'a the city? Reckon we c'n probably get'a last minute campin' trip in before it gets too cold. I've done my share'a campin', so least I ain't a stranger ta that." He held his hands out and motioned for her to toss him the ball.

"Well, can't say I got much time ta do that sort'a thing back home. But, hell, ain't a reason why I can't start."

Grim nods. “We need to start you on the basics; this means your basic Disney/Pixar combo platter.†She starts ticking off on her fingers in a very business-like manner.

“I’m talking Bambi, Dumbo, Little Mermaid, Toy Stories 1 and 2 (you’ll like’m, they’ve got cowboys), Finding Nemo, all leading up to the greatest movie ever made, Aladdin. We order out, we get blitzed, then we watch cartoons until we pass out on the couch.â€Â

She spreads her arms and beams.

“The perfect evening!â€Â

"Say, ain't there a forest a few miles out'a the city? Reckon we c'n probably get'a last minute campin' trip in before it gets too cold. I've done my share'a campin', so least I ain't a stranger ta that."

The pretty shapeshifter nods “That’s cool. Cold isn’t really a problem for me anymore-"

Her camping duds melt away, leaving Grim apparently wearing only a towel (scandalous! :o ), nonchalantly tossing the ball from hand to hand.

“I mean, the day I got I my powers, I woke up naked in an alley on a February morning, and I was fine, so…â€Â

She shrugs, then lobs the ball (not too hard) right at Colt’s head!

“Think fast!â€Â

"Ahh!" Colt feigned fear and ducked to the right as he caught the ball with his left hand.

He rocked back and forth in the chair, lobbing the ball up and down. "Reckon that wasn't too nice." He winked and tossed the ball back to her. He fully expected some sort of appropriate costume change as she caught it. He was getting used to Grim's prop humor. That didn't make it any less entertaining, however.

"So what do ya want'a do first? Movies're campin'?"

"Reckon that wasn't too nice."

Grim piously folds her hands and looks skyward, as innocent as a lamb, as a pair of wicked horns poke out of her hair.

"So what do ya want'a do first? Movies're campin'?"

The young heroine absently catches the ball and frowns, deep in thought for a few moments; the ball conveniently disappears, the horns melt away and her towel becomes a plain white T-shirt and pair of pale gray cargo shorts, as though she can't be bothered to maintain something more interesting. After chewing her lower lip for a bit, she locks eyes with Colt, dead serious.

"Look, before we start down this road and see where it takes us, I think you should know a few things."

One again she ticks of points on her fingers, but this time there is no playfulness to the gesture.

"One, I like you. I really, really like you. I know it seems fast, and I'm not saying it's truly love or anything crazy, but I do like you."

She smiles that same genuine smile he saw earlier, then continues bravely forward.

"Two, I'm trouble. I can be moody as all hell, I have a scary temper, and you won't always see me coming. I know, I seem like this goofy, silly fun person, and I am, most of the time, but that just means when the craziness hits, it hits harder."

"Three, I have some issues. Now, you're a gentleman, so some of these issues might not be so bad for you, but you're also a guy, so there ya go. I'll be your best friend 'til the day you die, but I like to take things slow; we may get to the 'waka waka', we may not, but I'm warning you now because it's been an issue in the past."

"And last but not least, I"ve dated a team member before, and it didn't last too long; in fact, I just broke it off two months ago. This is important because I'm very reboundy right now, but mostly because the team has to come first, or else people will die. If whatever this thing becomes ever jeopardizes the team, we both have to walk away."

When at last she finishes, she takes a deep breath, then laughs nervously.

"Lotta rules just to go camping, huh?"

Sitting cross-legged on her bed, her fingers twisting themselves into weird animal shapes, she has clearly just put her heart out on the table…if she had a table. Her big brown eyes have never looked bigger.

Colt was a good listener. In his line of work it paid to be observant. More to the point, it kept you alive sometimes. So colt made sure to take in everything that Grim said. When she was finished laying everything on the line he gave himself a few moments to digest it. He didn't want to let her stew, but she HAD given him quite a bit to consider.

Finally, Colt's thoughtful expression gave way to a smile. He lifted his right leg and laid it across his left, "I wouldn't'a asked if'n I didn't feel the same about you, Grim. But I reckon I owe ya a thank you fer bein' so honest. It sure does help."

"I never seen anythin' but a happy smilin' Grim. So's I can't say I c'n deal with a moody one when I don't even know what it's like. I c'n tell ya this, though. Reckon I'll try my darnedest."

"Now don't worry," Colt relaxed and sat back in the chair, "I ain't in'a rush're nothin'. So if'n slow's what'cha want, I'll be happy ta oblige. Long as I get one'a those kisses now'n again, I think I'll do just fine."

"Now don't you worry that pretty little head'a yours bout all these 'rules'," Colt gave a dismissive wave of his hand, "Ya should'a seen all the forms I had'ta sign just be able ta live'n this city. Not ta mention goin' fer ma citizenship."

"But there's one thing'a do wonder 'bout." Colt leaned forward in his chair. Placing his elbows on his knees and rested his chin on his hands. "This ex'a yours? He ain't jealous're nothin', is'e?"

"But there's one thing'a do wonder 'bout." Colt leaned forward in his chair. Placing his elbows on his knees and rested his chin on his hands. "This ex'a yours? He ain't jealous're nothin', is'e?"

The young woman frowns thoughtfully.

"Who, Wes? Uh, not really, I don't think so. Well, I've never broken up with him before, so we'll just have to wait and see, I guess."

She shrugs and smiles, then starts idly tugging at the bedspread, eyes downcast. Then, in a flash, she is on Colt's lap, kissing him. The speed of her movement is in direct contrast to the gentleness of her kiss; clearly her control of her body is impressively precise :shock:

Colt was caught entirely surprised by Grim's sudden movement. At first he was rather stiff when she kissed him, his eyes wide in surprise. But soon enough, he relaxed and got into it, returning the kiss gently and sweetly as he wrapped his arms around her...

When the two finally pulled apart, Colt gazed at Grim, taking in all the features of her face for a few seconds before he spoke. "Reckon I remember you sayin' somethin' 'bout wantin' ta take things slow." Smiling, he added, "Not that I'm complainin' er nuthin'."

"Reckon I remember you sayin' somethin' 'bout wantin' ta take things slow." Smiling, he added, "Not that I'm complainin' er nuthin'."

Grim furrows her brow and pouts as she slowly puts a leg behind Colt's back. "Did I say 'slow'?" And now the other one is back there, and the sharpshooter can suddenly feel that this tiny little thing is actually stronger than him. "I'm pretty sure I said 'whoa'...and I meant that in the Joey Lawrence/Keanu Reeves sense, not the cowboy way, just to clarify."

She gives him a few quick kisses on the lips, then grabs his nose and gives it a playful squeeze.

"Bzzzzt! Mmm, you are just plain munchable, ya know that?"

Grim kisses him again, playfully biting her teammate's lower lip, and just giving it the slightest tug before releasing it.

"Rrr, nom nom nom, tasty cowboy meat!"

This last bit of nonsense is so ridiculous that the agile young shifter cracks herself up, burying her face in her hands as it turns into a giggling fit.

• 2 weeks later...

There was just something about her that Colt could put his finger on. Her demeanor, her laughter, her happiness. It was all so infectious. When she started giggling, he too quickly broke out into a smile and laughter. Whether or not it was in spite of himself or not, he wasn't sure. Colt had always taken things so seriously. But around Grim, he couldn't help but lighten up. Yea, reckon this here was a good decision.

In the midst of his laughter, he put his arms around her. "Hey, I'm not food, you know." He pulled her closer to his chest and rested his head on hers. She may have been stronger than he was, but he was still taller...Unless she decided to fix that too. With his head resting atop the impish one's mess of hair, Colt kept giggling and found he couldn't stop. He did have time to kiss her on top of the head though.

"Hey, I'm not food, you know."

“Sure you are! You’re like a big strip of beef jerky, all for me.â€

Grim sighs deeply and contentedly as she nuzzles her head into his shoulder.

“Mmm, this is definitely too good to last! You know the expression ‘hope for the best, expect the worst’? Kinda my mantra.†She frowns thoughtfully. “It actually might be a Mel Brooks song. Anyway, whatever this turns out to be, for however long, we will enjoy it as it comes, right?â€

She just lies there for awhile, feeling Colt’s chest rise and fall beneath her like the gentle rocking of a mighty pirate ship. Then she lifts her head up and smiles at him.

“So, which room are you taking? I need to know so I can slide under the door and slip into your arms at night.†;)

“Mmm, this is definitely too good to last! You know the expression ‘hope for the best, expect the worst’? Kinda my mantra.†She frowns thoughtfully. “It actually might be a Mel Brooks song. Anyway, whatever this turns out to be, for however long, we will enjoy it as it comes, right?â€

"Sure sounds like'a plan ta me. Reckon a guy caint ask fer much more'n that. And my rooms right down the stairs. It's a little bigger'n this'n. Bed's a little bigger too. I'll make sure I leave ya some room." Colt smiled as he looked into her eyes. Too good to be true'er not. I sure as hell am gonna enjoy it.

"Sure sounds like'a plan ta me. Reckon a guy caint ask fer much more'n that. And my rooms right down the stairs. It's a little bigger'n this'n. Bed's a little bigger too. I'll make sure I leave ya some room."

The diminutive shapeshifter snorts.

“Heck, I’m itty-bitty, I can fit anywhere; you can practically put me in your back pocket.†She puts a finger to her lips. “Actually, that might be true from time to time…â€

She unlocks her legs from behind Colt’s back and wriggles herself into a more comfortable position, curled up on his chest and lap.

"That’s better, my legs were falling asleep.â€

As Grimalkin closes her eyes, looking for all the world like her namesake napping in a patch of sunlight, her voice starts to get a little drowsy.

“I think we need to do a road trip to Atlantic City; by day, I can show you all the crappy places I grew up, and we’ll eat salt water taffy on the Steel Pier. Then at night, we can hit the tables at the Taj; you playin’ poker and me hangin’ on your arm, all cleavage and red silk, distracting the competition.â€

She cackles at the thought of such mischief.

Colt sat and smiled as he stroked her hair. He held her close as he asked, "That before're after our campin' trip?" He was already learning that Grim had the penchant for getting distracted easily. He didn't want her to forget about their already half-made plans, lest they never become a reality.

"Reckon I'd like that, though. Shame I can't show where I come from," He said softly, "Someday, maybe. Someday..."

"That before're after our campin' trip?"

She holds up her hand and counts off on her fingers, not bothering to look up from the snuggle, her voice muffled by Colt's shoulder.

"Movie night. Atlantic City. Camping trip. With lots of other leisure activites in-between."

Her hand sleepily traces the contours of his jaw, and then drops down to her side.

"Reckon I'd like that, though. Shame I can't show where I come from," He said softly, "Someday, maybe. Someday..."

"That'd be nice...someday..."

It appears that Grim's seemingly boundless well of energy has finally run out; as gentle snoring rises up from the cowboy's chest, her clothes shift into a pair of dark blue pajamas that spread, gently rustling, over her form.