Somebody call for a detective?

Heridfel

Kevin wakes up, exhausted after a difficult night's sleep. Sure, the bullet wound was flesh only, but that sort of thing is enough to unnerve anyone without nerves of steel (and skin to match). He rolls out of bed, getting to the shower before his roommate.

"Lucked out there," he thinks, but then he remembers that Greg has already gone home after finals. Kevin chose to stay in Freedom City over the holiday. He'll be flying home for the week of Christmas, but back before New Year's. He told his dad that he wanted to study more, and that's true in a way - he wants to find out exactly what his powers are, how they work, and what they can do. Even last night, he did something he didn't know that he was capable of, and he'd like to know how to do it again.

He towels himself off as he thinks on what he should do next. The assassin mentioned that he was betrayed by the Army, his captain or something - that might be enough information to try to figure out who the man is. Kevin's own finals are over, so he has plenty of time to go to the library for a little light research.

When he arrives there, he logs into a computer and starts searching. While he loads up Google, he also starts his e-mail. There's a message from his mother, apparently another news story she forwarded him. He's about to delete it when he sees "The Fens" in the subject line. His heart begins to pound as he opens it up - did someone see what he did somehow?

But no, it's not that. Instead, it's his mother warning him to be careful when going out, because people are getting shot in Freedom City all of the time. The news story below says that a known gangster was murdered the last night around 3 in the morning. The sketch of the victim leaves no doubt - it looks like the assassin found his target that night after all. Kevin deletes the message, makes a mental note to call his mother later to reassure her that he'll be fine, and starts typing in searches to Google.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin wakes up, exhausted after a difficult night's sleep. Sure, the bullet wound was flesh only, but that sort of thing is enough to unnerve anyone without nerves of steel (and skin to match). He rolls out of bed, getting to the shower before his roommate.

"Lucked out there," he thinks, but then he remembers that Greg has already gone home after finals. Kevin chose to stay in Freedom City over the holiday. He'll be flying home for the week of Christmas, but back before New Year's. He told his dad that he wanted to study more, and that's true in a way - he wants to find out exactly what his powers are, how they work, and what they can do. Even last night, he did something he didn't know that he was capable of, and he'd like to know how to do it again.

He towels himself off as he thinks on what he should do next. The assassin mentioned that he was betrayed by the Army, his captain or something - that might be enough information to try to figure out who the man is. Kevin's own finals are over, so he has plenty of time to go to the library for a little light research.

When he arrives there, he logs into a computer and starts searching. While he loads up Google, he also starts his e-mail. There's a message from his mother, apparently another news story she forwarded him. He's about to delete it when he sees "The Fens" in the subject line. His heart begins to pound as he opens it up - did someone see what he did somehow?

But no, it's not that. Instead, it's his mother warning him to be careful when going out, because people are getting shot in Freedom City all of the time. The news story below says that a known gangster was murdered the last night around 3 in the morning. The sketch of the victim leaves no doubt - it looks like the assassin found his target that night after all. Kevin deletes the message, makes a mental note to call his mother later to reassure her that he'll be fine, and starts typing in searches to Google.

Sabrina had gone home for the holidays, all the way to Ashton. But she made her way back to campus a lot during the day, it was too boring at home when her parents were at work. The only reason she had been staying the night there was she would have never heard the end of it from her mom if she had not.

The dorms were pretty much empty, so there was little to do after she had swung by her room to pick up some things. She instead headed towards the library, to get online and do a bit of research. As she headed to the main computer lab, she saw there was at least one other student still on campus. She was pretty sure she recognized him, Kevin something or another from the football team. She had seen him at a couple of parties she had been at, as she had been on the soccer team herself.

Making her way over, she stopped near him as she smiled and said, “What are you still doing here? Everyone else has gone home for break.â€Â

Sabrina had gone home for the holidays, all the way to Ashton. But she made her way back to campus a lot during the day, it was too boring at home when her parents were at work. The only reason she had been staying the night there was she would have never heard the end of it from her mom if she had not.

The dorms were pretty much empty, so there was little to do after she had swung by her room to pick up some things. She instead headed towards the library, to get online and do a bit of research. As she headed to the main computer lab, she saw there was at least one other student still on campus. She was pretty sure she recognized him, Kevin something or another from the football team. She had seen him at a couple of parties she had been at, as she had been on the soccer team herself.

Making her way over, she stopped near him as she smiled and said, “What are you still doing here? Everyone else has gone home for break.â€Â

Kevin looks up to see an attractive girl asking him a question. He goes for the literal answer, rather than exactly why he's doing what he's doing. "Oh, just checking my e-mail. I'm sticking around here over break. Well, home for the week of Christmas, but back here before New Year's," he says, giving her a smile. "How about you?"

He glances to his screen, checking to make sure that what's on it is relatively innocuous. Fortunately, the first search is 'disgraced soldier U.S. Army', which, while not something he'd normally look for, doesn't give any hints as to what happened last night.

Kevin looks up to see an attractive girl asking him a question. He goes for the literal answer, rather than exactly why he's doing what he's doing. "Oh, just checking my e-mail. I'm sticking around here over break. Well, home for the week of Christmas, but back here before New Year's," he says, giving her a smile. "How about you?"

He glances to his screen, checking to make sure that what's on it is relatively innocuous. Fortunately, the first search is 'disgraced soldier U.S. Army', which, while not something he'd normally look for, doesn't give any hints as to what happened last night.

“I am home for break.†Sabrina replied with a smile. “But my parents live not far from here. Its pretty boring there right now just being at the house alone while they are at work, so I figured coming into to campus to get some things done would be better than trying at home and just getting sucked into soap operas and the like.â€Â

“I’m Sabrina by the way.†She then added.

“I am home for break.†Sabrina replied with a smile. “But my parents live not far from here. Its pretty boring there right now just being at the house alone while they are at work, so I figured coming into to campus to get some things done would be better than trying at home and just getting sucked into soap operas and the like.â€Â

"I'm Kevin. Good to meet you," he says, somewhat automatically. Then he pauses as he thinks for a second. His next words are more hesitant, as if he's afraid to admit a weak memory, or more likely, forgetting a pretty face.

"We haven't met before, have we? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't forget meeting you, but I feel like I've seen you around before somewhere. Are you a freshman? Maybe we had one of those big lecture classes together," he says.

"I'm Kevin. Good to meet you," he says, somewhat automatically. Then he pauses as he thinks for a second. His next words are more hesitant, as if he's afraid to admit a weak memory, or more likely, forgetting a pretty face.

"We haven't met before, have we? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't forget meeting you, but I feel like I've seen you around before somewhere. Are you a freshman? Maybe we had one of those big lecture classes together," he says.

“Yes, I am.†Sabrina replied to Kevin’s question on whether she was a Freshman like him. “I’m on the soccer team, so you likely have seen me at some parties over the semester. I know you and other members of the football team were at a lot of the ones I went to.â€Â

“Yes, I am.†Sabrina replied to Kevin’s question on whether she was a Freshman like him. “I’m on the soccer team, so you likely have seen me at some parties over the semester. I know you and other members of the football team were at a lot of the ones I went to.â€Â

"That's probably it then. It's usually dark at those things, so it's harder to remember faces," he nods. "Here, sit down and take a load off. Hard for me to have a good conversation if I get a crick in my neck from looking up at you," he says with a smile. "Is it really that empty here? I came pretty much straight here from the dorms and didn't think about it much."

"That's probably it then. It's usually dark at those things, so it's harder to remember faces," he nods. "Here, sit down and take a load off. Hard for me to have a good conversation if I get a crick in my neck from looking up at you," he says with a smile. "Is it really that empty here? I came pretty much straight here from the dorms and didn't think about it much."

“I’d think you were used to lifting your head up more when your down in your stance to hike the ball.†Sabrina said with a grin as she took a seat next to Kevin.

“Yeah, I stopped by my dorm room, and the building seemed completely empty. I only saw a few others on my way here.†Sabrina replied to the question about how empty campus was. “You just been holed up in your dorm room or something?â€Â

“I’d think you were used to lifting your head up more when your down in your stance to hike the ball.†Sabrina said with a grin as she took a seat next to Kevin.

“Yeah, I stopped by my dorm room, and the building seemed completely empty. I only saw a few others on my way here.†Sabrina replied to the question about how empty campus was. “You just been holed up in your dorm room or something?â€Â

"Nah, you want to keep your back and neck straight when you're doing that. Somebody hits you, you don't want your neck getting thrown out of whack. That happened to a guy my dad knew," Kevin says. "I know that Mike was on campus last night still, and after all he drank, it's almost a shame he doesn't have a hangover to match. Let me give you a piece of advice. Don't go drinking in the Fens. I had heard it was a bad place, but that's just words. When I went there, I saw what they meant."

He shrugs a little. "I went to pick him up last night, and the cab wouldn't even take me there. I was up till 4 getting back here, and I was asleep until about a half-hour ago." His stomach rumbles, and he looks down at it. "I knew I forgot something."