Cyroa

"NO!!!" Breakdown yelled, appalled. This isn't James. It can't be.

Breakdown looked over his shoulder at what used to be one of his best friends. He wasn't even sure what he was looking at anymore. It was James, but it wasn't. But there was one thing he did know, "No you don't! You don't like that stuff. In fact, you never cared one bit about all that crap! I'm gonna find out what you've done with my friend if it's the last thing I do!"

He turned his attention back to the demons in front of him. Breakdown wasn't tall by any means, but he wasn't short either. So to say that the demons in front of him towered over him means something. Let's see what we're really up against here. He thought.

Pressing a button on his sleeve, he let the music flow through him. Soon his entire body was bumping like a sub woofer, projecting a song outwards towards the demons. Then with one particularly loud thump he sent a wave of sonic energy outward leaving his friends untouched, but slamming it into any of the demons within range. All the while he was swaying to the music so that it would be difficult to get a good shot off at him.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two demons Breakdown targeted reacted very differently. The one with multiple areas tried to avoid the waves of sound but simply was too slow. However while the music battered its body, it didn't really do much more than annoy it. And it was already pretty annoyed to begin with. The other didn't seem to move so much as blur. As the sound wave ending, it was still there looking completely unharmed as the two creatures continued forward...

Mark fired a pew-pew blast from his lasers at the demon nearest Erin, the better to give her an edge when it came to combat. "You all know what to do!" he called. "Do what you have to, for Freedom City! For YOUNG FREEDOM! FOR JAMES!" Mark was a young man who believed, and the sheer power of his belief came through to all the other kids as he opened fire.

The 4 armed demon lept forward, bringing it's arms down to strike at Breakdown but the agile young hero dodged. The other hunched down and a massive volley of spikes shot forth at Breakdown, impaling the musically powered hero multiple times.

From the right, a glob of slime spewed forth from one demon. It flew close by Psyche but did nothing to her. From the same side, a gout of familiar fire burst forth, the Hellfire blast striking Phalanx solidly.

In front, as both Mark and Mike were looking forward, they felt the compelling will of the Succubi trying to get into their young male minds... The one with the multiple mouths raced forward trying to grapple Wander. Likewise, a massive tough shot out of the other one's chest/mouth. But once again, she miraculously and easily avoided the prehensile and dangerous tongue.

Psyche flinched at the bolt of acidic slime as it flew past her head, but moved gamely forward. The fact that her voice was not in the chorus of the team trying to win James back over was some small clue that the redhead was up to something as she shifted to find a better stretch of ground. It wasn't that she'd given up on James any more than the rest of the kids had, but she had her own opinions on what it would take to wrest James back from hell. Opinions that she was more than ready to act on but Psyche was also the most patient member of Young Freedom, so she watched and bided her time. She knew full well that she'd not get a second chance.

Mike stood like a rock amid the chaos of the battle. The siren call of the succubi washed overhim almost unnoticed as Edges inspirational speach rang clear in his ears. As the hellfire enveloped him he didn't even flinch standing firm and resolved before his fallen friend.

"You are better than this James." His voice rang out clearly amid the melee he moved slowly but steadily towards the portal, "We're not going to give up on you." His words burned with his conviction that his friend could be saved.

Erin ducked as one demon rushed her, then neatly jumped out of the way of the long, nasty tongue of the other, not taking her eyes off the goal for more than a second. She still didn't take out her bat, though her hands flexed open and closed a few times as though looking for something to hold onto. With the two demons closest to her slightly unbalanced from their unsuccessful attacks, she took a few running steps and vaulted over them, in a tumbling leap that put her down just a few feet away from James. "I know you don't want to do this," she told him, meeting his eyes and speaking frankly. "There's part of you that remembers that. We'll help you, whatever it takes, I promise. Just help us close the gate and everything will be okay."

Luckily enough, Breakdown was able to avoid all the sharp pointy objects the first demon was swinging at him. However, he let his concentration linger on the first demon too long. The second demon released a volley of spines, and Breakdown was littered full of them. Luckily he managed to shrug off the majority of the fearsome attack. It still hurt like hell, though.

"I'm serious, James! Knock it off! Do it for your friends, James!" Eddie called over his shoulder as he stuttered backward after being hit.

Breakdown focused his attention back on the two demons. "Alright, ugly," He looked straight at the one with the spines that had hit him, "I'm not lettin' you past me. In fact, I'll do you one better..." Breakdown twisted in place, as he slapped one of the buttons on his jacket to change to a different form.

Once in rock form he spun, putting drawing his right foot through the dirt and kicking up some sand as part of his dance. Spreading his feet a little wider, he quickly switched them back and forth, kicking his right foot forward and then his left. Standing with his left foot forward, the threw his weight off that foot and flew threw the air, trying to strike the demon on the side of the neck with his right foot as he brought it around in a circular motion, trying to avoid as many spikes as he could along the way.

Despite the size, noise and how far apart everyone was on the battlefield, his voice could be heard quite clearly. “Oh, the ridiculous spaz is serious. Whatever." He turned back to Phalanx and the others. "I am better. SO much better. I have more power now than I know what to do with! I literally have the limitless power of Hell at my beck and call. You’re not giving up because you’re a naïve idiot. You’re too stupid to know when to quit. You’re afraid of your own feelings and power when you could just relax and have it all. You have at your fingertips what any mortal dreams of, in every aspect of the word. Yet you constantly worry everything and do nothing about it. An idiot.â€Â

James shook his head, chuckled and stood as Erin bypassed the multiple demons in the front and charged close to the gate. This close to the gate, she could feel its infernal power clawing at her energy, trying to siphon it away. Standing a dozen or so yards from the massive gateway to hell was not exactly healthy. Yet, for some reason, that leeching of her soul hadn’t happened just yet. She could feel it, waiting and hungry, but nothing was happening.

“You people have no idea, do you? I AM James. I remember everything. I just finally stopped running and accepted who I am. Something of an epiphany I suppose you could say. A long and hard lesson to learn, but I learned. Help me? How? You can’t even help yourself. Where is the only place your comfortable Erin? Fighting and destroying. Outside of that, you worry and hide yourself away, wrapped up in the fact that you lived. You spend all that time hiding and taking every class you can instead of actually living. You lived and everyone else bought it. Boohoo. You can’t even figure out how to live without that death and destruction despite the help and opportunities you’ve been given. You might as well have died for all that you’ve been living. Would talking to little sis help you get there? It wouldn’t be hard to arrange a meeting you know. She could tell you how sad she is that you let her die. Or how she’s waiting for you to join her already,†he said mockingly.

He laughed deeply, his cold eyes never leaving them. “I don’t need or want your help. Any of you. You have no idea what I can do. I could kick your pathetic whiny ass easily now. I’ve spent the last two years suffering because I tried that ridiculous noble sacrifice and tried to stop all of this. And the kicker is, it would have worked! If you hadn’t interfered, that stupid nobility would have killed me. Permanently. None of this,†he gestured at the Hell-torn city around them, “would have come to pass. This is all because of you. For that, I should say thanks. So, thank you for saving me from myself and allowing all of this to happen. Kudos to you,†he said, laughingly.

Psyche remained silent through the taunting words from their friend, her expression growing ever more solemn behind her mask. She reached out to settle one hand on Edge's shoulder, hoping that his luck and belief would provide that little edge they'd need. They'd certainly never needed it any more than they did right at this very moment. James' gaze had skipped over her, but she knew that he'd never counted her out of this fight. James was too smart for that, no matter how evil he might have become.

She let all fear and doubt slip away, stealing a bit of Edge's confidence for her own as she focused and then dove her entire conciousness out of her body and at James. Even knowing he'd expect it, she was shocked at how hard it was to wrest his will away from his body. But she, too, was stronger than the friend that he remembered. It maght have only been that edge that allowed her to lock his spirit to hers and draw his thoughts high above the battle.

Look, she whispered to him, her hold on his mind as gentle as it was steadfast, Look how much we love you. You, who have always been in search of love. Look, we've brought it to the gates of hell itself. For you.

She laid them each bare, starting with her own memories of him. They were simple things, images she'd captured with that perfect recall of her brilliant brain. Things James had never known, or even noticed, because that had always been Alex's way. The times she'd nudged people out of the way from the place she'd known he'd curled up to sleep. Little moments in time, in the way that Alex always saw the world, until she'd finally come to the memory that he'd just thrown at them, their attempted rescue. She relived it unflichingly, although her aura grew a little more blue as she held onto him. Then she moved it past, to the memories he hadn't been there for. Her exhausted searching of database banks. Their endless planning and re-planning. The hours on hours on hours they'd devoted to this moment.

We tried, because you were worth saving. You are still worth saving. Even fallen, we love you still. Please, look.

Erin flinched at James' words, her eyes drawn unconsciously towards the gate for a moment, in spite of herself. Had he really seen them? They didn't deserve that... Close behind the agony was furious anger, which was a much more solid footing to stand on. She wanted to wipe that stupid smirk right off his face, make him take back what he'd said, make him not say anything about the people she'd loved, ever again. But that was what he wanted, she realized. It was hard to care at the moment, but she forced herself to be rational. He wanted her to attack him, and he knew what buttons to push to make her. She wasn't sure how much she could make that matter to her right now, though. But behind that, under that, it was still James. He still had to be in there somewhere.

For all that Erin's thoughts were chaotic, Alex knew her well enough to be able to sort through and draw out the good memories from the swirling mess. A friendship built cautiously over videogames and the strange camaraderie of sleepless nights, one restful place where neither of them had to put on an act for a little while. She passed along Erin's heartache for James when she realized his dreams were even worse than his own, and her determination that there must be some way to stop the invasions, if they could only find it. There was her initial caution that had turned slowly into trust, until she thought of him more like a brother than just a friend. Alex dug out the grief and guilt over not saving James in the cemetery and passed it along, and the grim determination that it wouldn't be the end, the sentiment that had led them here tonight, to the end of the road.

The emotions came pouring out of Mark at Alex's touch, an overpowering wave of friendship. People said there was no depth to Mark, but that was just because there was no bottom to the wave of sheer good fellowship and heart that came tumbling out of the depths of his soul. There was not even a flicker of doubt in his mind that they'd save James, that they'd save the day, that all the horrors around them would be made right. They were heroes. This was Freedom City. That was what they'd do.

And there were memories of his interactions with James, the good times and happy memories they'd shared down in south Florida, his simple, perfect joy at the wild adventure they'd had together because his friend had wanted to make him feel better. Even when he'd finally put the pieces together and figured out that James was a demon, shortly before James' kidnapping, there was nothing but the trust and hope that they'd get their friend back safe and sound. There was no irony in Mark's soul, no hint of artifice or false saccharine: James and Mark were friends, and that was enough.

Emotions were constantly pouring out of Eddie just like the music he was projecting. Anyone who knew him could tell you that. But now it wasn't emotions that were emanating from him. At Alex's behest, memory after memory of came pouring out of his mind.

There were images of James and Eddie riding roller coasters. Scenes from parties. Buddy-buddy conversations about everything under the sun. It was a mental retelling of the months the two friends had spend together.

Ever prevalent through the images were Eddie's emotions. James could feel how much his friend admired, respected, and loved him.

And then came the images of the band the two shared. Countless hours practicing and playing the few shows that they managed to scrape together. Creating music together and truly having fun.

But being in that band wasn't necessarily something that James had ever wanted to do. But since Eddie had asked, James had obliged. James had cared enough to do Eddie that favor, because Eddie needed his help.

But now it was James' turn to need help, whether he realized it or not. It was Eddie's turn to return the favor. And there he was ready and waiting to do whatever it took. If he had to enter hell itself just to get James back he would.

Because they were friends.

Mike didn't call people friend easily and those few he did he felt a close bond to. His mind was an open book to Alex and his memorys of James more numerous than one could imagine. His memories were of the kindness and generosity of his friend. The little things that had led Mike to want to be a better person himself. Gifts given to friends and strangers alike, advice free of hubris, and the quite confidence that had always suffused their interactions. The memories of a thousand little kindnesses witnessed and now recalled to remind his friend that he was so much better than this.

As the memories crossed his mind in Psyches search he couldn't help but smile. He was filled with a quiet confidence not in the rightousness of thier cause but in James himself. An unshakeable faith that his friend would stop this.

• 2 weeks later...

Erin took a deep breath in the moment of near calm before hell once again broke loose. Negative emotions made the demons stronger, she reminded herself, and even if she was in no shape to think happy thoughts, she could at least deny them one weapon. They wouldn't use her memories that way, she wouldn't let them. In one quick bound, she covered the last few feet that separated her from James, bringing them toe to toe, nearly nose to nose, but for their slight difference in height. She stood between him and the rest of the fight, with the gate at his back and its sickly light playing over her face.

"Maybe you can take us all down," she challenged. "Maybe you have it in you to try, maybe you'll manage to do it. But we're stronger than you think, and we're not running away. We sent the demons running once before, even if we weren't fast enough to stop one from taking you along with them. I'd have done anything to save you, but it was too late. I don't think it's too late now. I think you can save yourself, and I'll do anything to help you. But if you want to keep up this fight, you're going to have to go through us. You're going to have to go through me," she repeated. "So come on, dammit, do something. Don't just leave us standing here."

While the heroes valiently tried to reach their friend, the demons were not so foolish as to let them try unopposed.

The massive demon with mulitple arms lunged for the musically inspired boy, twin arms scissoring to try and crush him. Likewise, another torrent of bone spikes/quills was launched in a massive fullisade to impale the hero.

From the right, both demons focused their attacks on Psyche, to mixed success. The large globule of acid phlem missed by a rather large margin. But the other threw his baleful Hellfire bolt true, right at her.

In front, the two Succubi linked hands and their bodies slowly danced forward, hypnotically attempting to capture more than just Mike and Mark's attention using more than the ample skin and femine wiles...

Meanwhile, closer to the gate, the two demons continued to try and if not defeat, then at least hit the agile Wander. The ones with multiple mouths continued its futile biting assault. However, the giant tongue lashed out and wrapped around the dangerous heroine.

Without opening her eyes or removing her hand from Edge's shoulder, the bright glow around Psyche solidified to deflect the fire away from her fragile body. She frowned, her expression white with focus behind her mask as she continued her hold on James's mind.

Ignoring his threats, she murmured to Edge, "They need to take the demons down before I lose him."

Both of the hits connected. But only the needles were strong enough to cause him real pain.

"...Are you deaf? You wanna hear some more?..." The AC/DC coming through his speakers propelled him onward.

Breakdown was banging his head to the music. Suddenly, he brought the back of his head straight up into the creature's jaw. Or at least tried to. It was a clumsy attack and it missed.

I'm hurtin. I've gotta change tactics. What was it that Phantom said about emotions? An idea occurred to Breakdown, he changed music, and lifted off the ground, soaring upward on the wings of Jazz.

James put his hands to his head, growling. There was a paused before he became outlined in fire. He threw his will outward, trying to shrug off Psyche's annoying influence. Despite the power behind him, his effort seemed rather...negligible to Psyche. Regardless of his swearing and staring daggers, he was unable to throw off her influence.

Meanwhile, Edge was rather fascinated by the two naked succubi. Or rather, 4 large luscious and very naked...bouncing parts as the two Succubi tried to entrance the two male heroes. Perhaps Mike's devotion and recent revelation to Alex kept him pure and immune. But whatever it was, he was easily able to look away.

Training kept Psyche's muscles from tensing under the strain of holding James' will in her thrall but beneath her mask, her face was bloodless and sweat began to bead at her temples. Her eyes were closed, but beneath her lids they flickered back and forth as if she were in REM sleep. She could feel Mark's shoulder tensing under her hand but she had to hope he would be able to shake off anything on his own. She didn't dare divert one fragment of her attention right now.

'Show me how to set you free, James,' she commanded, her psychic grip like iron around him even as she kept the channel open for their memories and emotions. Psyche knew she couldn't hold him like this too much longer so she had to make the best of it. Show me.

Phalanx tensed as the flames erupted around James, however Psyche seemed to have him distracted with the mental battle they were locked within.

The mesmerizing sight of the enthralling demonses taxed his will but he was able to throw of their spell, "Snap out of it Edge." He said lightly jostleing his enraptured companion but he had little time for more.

The demons on the right were trying to break Psyches concentration and that couldn't be allowed to happen. He sped towards them with wild abandon letting loose a massive haymaker in hopes of knocking them out fo the fight quickly.

The demon throwing Hellfire just had time to blink before Phalanx shot across the field of battle. The haymaker punch connected so solidly, Phalanx almost took the thing's head clean off. As it was, the demon was lift up and backwards and up and backwards...and quickly faded from sight... The Acidspitter threw itself to one side however after seeing that, causing the young heroes' follow up attack to miss by a narrow margin.