The Interceptors: Issue #0

Dr Archeville

All-Star rubbed his chin as he considered Doc's words. "Allright," he said finally. "I like the cut of your jib." Whatever that meant. "Besides I 'm gonna make my own legacy." He looked around. So they would be the first to use the equipment? Awesome. The implications of beta testing was not one of All-Star's concerns. "So can we seal this deal with a handshake?" So I could maybe look you in the eye and see if your full of it?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blink smiled at the banter, it was good to see where people's motivations were. She looked at All Star and said in a deadpan voice, "at least we won't have to worry about someone to talk to the media then. It would not be a task I would enjoy."

There was still one other matter to consider as she looked back at the comical AI, "and what if at a later time, we find that this arrangement is no longer working for us? What then? I have been a part of a very exclusive club once and did not enjoy the experience as much as I thought I would."

"Well, now, reckon we clearly ain't the bad guys, there, Blink." Colt said, turning to look at his apprehensive teammate. "If'n ya don't like the setup, ain't nothin' stoppin ya from leavin' far as I'm concerned." Colt gave her a friendly smile.

Still smiling, he turned back to the computer screen. "Well, Doctor, ya sold me. I can start immediately if'n it suits ya. Just gonna need a few moments ta move some'a ma things in. Say, where does that garage open up? Reckon I could bring ma bike down'ere?"

She looked at the neo-cowboy for a moment, gauging intent and honesty. Finding none, she nodded and returned a faint smile.

Here was the new leaf. How and why it had come about was still somewhat of a mystery to her. Much like the other people in this room. However, it couldn't be all bad to actually do something positive for a change. She had never really liked many of her clients, but the market for someone with her skills and financial needs was rather limited. Looking at the six heroes, there was much to like with their diverse personalities. Even if they didn't seem to work or act like anything she had experienced before, they did seem mostly genuine. There was no real decision to make, in the end; for better or worse, she would tie her fate to this place and these people.

"If that is the general consensus, then I too am in... and thank you Doctor. Thank you very much," Blink said as much to the room as to the Doctor himself.

Opportunity often only knocks once, it's up to you to seize it. It was a saying her father had drilled into her from an early age. I'm grabbing it and riding it for what it is worth.

Jack let out a long breath. This would be a big change. Understatement of the year... If he could pull down the equivalent of a full time job and spend more time out on the streets, he could stop worrying about Ellie's tuition and do a lot more good, to say nothing of the underground base's resources and having actual teammates. Now that was going to take some getting used to. "Okay, Doc, sign me up. Team needs somebody who knows his way around the West End." The swordsman smirked and quirked an eyebrow. "Can't let Sparky grab all the glory anyway, huh?"

Velocity had been about to make a reply to Blink and Colt’s questions about what sort of strings might be attached to what they where being offered when Doktor Archeville choose to revel himself and give some more direct explanations. Most of this the speedster had heard already when he had spoken with her earlier (much earlier) in the morning.

As the conversation turned to promises of compensation that had been made in their invitations, the speedster remained silent. When they had spoken before, she had quickly told the Doktor that she would not be expecting any compensation for her participation with the group, after all, she hardly needed the money. But she knew well enough that not everyone was as fortunate as she was in that regard, and that many heroes who risked their lives everyday also had to find ways to balance their activities with earning a livelihood. While some might view the stipend the Doktor was offering as making those willing to take it mercenary, Velocity did not see it as such, after all, there were more than a few heroes who took full advantage of their fame with corporate endorsements and the like.

When Blink made her comment about having someone willing to talk to the media, the speedster smiled. “I think we have a few that are more than happy to deal with the press, no need to worry about that.â€Â

“But like Colt said, everyone here is free to leave if they decide to.†She added, addressing another of the Russian woman’s concerns.

Facing back towards the view screen, the speedster added. “Well Doc, I told you when we talked before that I would think things over, and I have. While I know the work the Freedom League does is important, right now the traipsing around the world (and potentially into space) is not what I need in my life. Being able to focus ‘locally’ on problems is better for me. So I’ll tell Captain Thunder to place me on the reserve list.â€Â

Jack stepped away from the monitors to better face the rest of the people in the room. "Y'know, that's not actually what Freud meant by 'super-ego', Sparky." He shook his head. "'Marshals' is kinda the same problem; in this dimension it'd pretty much read as 'Cowboy Colt and his Amazing Buckaroos'. I mean, I'm not suggesting we go by 'The Wild Cards' or something." The swordsman paused. "Although... kidding, kidding!" he raised his hand defensively. "Did you already have something in mind, Doc?"

Grim flicked her wrist, and an old-fashioned wooden chair appeared; dropping down into, she tipped back her hat and grinned.

"I only have three basic needs in life: food, shelter and kicking ass. If I can quit my day job and do what I love full-time, you better believe I'm in; all my worldly possesions are in a duffel bag upstairs."

Suddenly she leaned forward and looked very serious.

"Uh, quick question; what is the team policy on pets, specifically cats? I have three staying with a friend right now, so if there are any allergies or anything, I need to find them a good home ASAP."

Nadia looked around at her new... team mates... and shook her head at the names proposed for their team. Honestly, she didn't care about the name one whit, as long as they could work effectively together. As for needs, as long as the money would let her father stay retired, then she needed little else. Certainly, the facilities were very nice, and would help with training and honing her skills. Looking at several of them, she wondered about sparring already, her burning desire to train and even more compete at a steady constant.

"I do not care either way," she replied to Grim, "as long as cats do not interfere with the functioning of the base..."

She began thinking of what she needed to bring from her apartment, and realized the list was painfully small, "though, as long as we are asking about items in base, I have AK-47 and some other small arms... I assume this is no problem as well?"

"Herr Colt, I believe she vas more asking de von who put all dis together," Archeville said.

"Pets are no problem, as long as dey are kept out of de reactor, und no von has any allergies."

Camera cuts to Vince, in a neon green cat suit, stomping on a scale model of Freedom City.

Camera pans back to Archeville, who seems to be trying to ignore Vince's antics. "Guns... are allowed, provisionally. I do ask dat you follow de same rules und guideline de Freedom City police do regarding firearms, vhich means using dem as non-lethally as possible, und not going in mit guns -- or laser-eyes -- blazing unless dere's a damn good reason. Now, as for a team name... vell, as fond as I am of ArcheAngels, I vould prefer it if it vas not public knowledge dat I am funding und guiding your little team. So... vell, tell me how you are going to use all dis equipment. Once we define und agree to a shared method of operation, a name all can agree on should come easily."

Grim nods and looks relieved.

“Ok, so sounds like cats are not a problem, which is good; I’ll pick up Mafia, DB and Plaque Attack from my friend’s place tomorrow. As far as the guns go…â€Â

She sighs deeply.

“I’ll admit, I’m not a huge fan of guns, but that’s mostly because I don’t like them being pointed at me. I trust you guys know what you’re doing and will use them responsibly.â€Â

She crosses her fingers and smiles.

"So... vell, tell me how you are going to use all dis equipment. Once we define und agree to a shared method of operation, a name all can agree on should come easily."

“As far as how we use our powers, skills and equipment, I would personally love to go more proactive, even though I know that’s sometimes hard for us good guys.â€Â

The young shapeshifter leans forward as she warms to her topic.

“At least some focus on community education and involvement would great, but I would love to continue a project me and my old partner Nightrival started last year: infiltrating the Mob here in Freedom City. I established two aliases last year, though one of them might not be so useful since that job went south, but the other one should be solid.â€Â

She stops to include the rest of the room with a sweep of her hand.

“Of course, I wouldn’t jump back into that project without the approval of the rest of the team; loose cannons are bad for everyone.â€Â

Colt folded his arms across his chest. He considered all the things that he had heard about the equipment they had been given before he made his answer. "I ain't an expert in all the techno-junk, but I reckon we c'n get a pretty quick jump on any crimes bein' committed with stuff like this."

He stepped forward towards the computer screen. "I vote we just do our best ta put a monkey wrench in all the crimes we see. We c'n more'n likely make due by sendin' two'ere three'a us out at once. That way, we c'n take turns holdin' down the fort'n restin' if'n we need. That'd also allow us ta stop more'n just one crime at a time."

Colt listened patiently to Grim's speech about organized crime. He turned and focused on her. "Them organized criminals sure can be a pain. I wouldn't mind takin' a crack at a few of'em maself. Reckon we c'n make that the team's first official project if'n its fine with the rest'o y'all."

Jack looked between Blink, Colt and the monitors incredulously. It took him several moments to form words. "The hell you say!" He gestured emphatically with his hands, conveying an agitation which was eating through his previously relaxed demeanor. "Look, I'm not wild about Annie Oakley packing heat in the first place, but at least he's got special-magic-rubber-future-bullets. There is no way on God's green earth that anyone's bringing assault rifles into my neighbourhood!" He looked around the room as the others reacted to his outburst. "I don't. Like. Guns," he explained flatly.

Colt let out a low whistle after Jack's outburst. He usually wasn't standoffish, but guns _were_ his thing. Even though the outburst had not been directed at him, he felt compelled to make a statement. "Well, ain't that somethin'." His tone more shocked than anything.

Colt eyed Jack seriously. This one's got problems...

"Jack," Colt began in comforting tones "Ain't any'a us gonna be shootin' up the place. An' rubber bullets ain't an excuse anyhow. Jericho and Marlin fire real bullets the same as any 'ol gun. I just carry around the rubber ones in case their needed." Colt sighed, his people skills needed work it seemed. "My point is, Blink knows what she's doin', same as me. Same as the rest'o us." His hand swept across the room. "She's got training and discretion galore." Colt hesitated, realizing he really didn't know Blink that well. I hope. he thought. "I think she's earned the right to fight the way she likes. Even if it means usin' guns."

Colt glanced around for support before continuing.

"Besides, yer tellin' me ya ain't seen All-Star here," He jerked a thumb over his shoulder, "hit harder than'a tank might any who? Don't ya think that'd hurt more'n a rifle?" Colt's expression pleaded with Jack to understand his point.

"We're all dangerous, but long as we're in control, ain't no problems, y'hear?"

Jack took a step closer to Colt, setting his jaw. "I don't know if they've got AK-47s over in Westworld, but 'shooting up the place' is pretty much what they're for. And if Sparky misses a punch, it doesn't fly off into the crowd. It doesn't accidentally put a good cop in a wheelchair!" The swordsman's voice started off at just above a whisper, but got louder and more intense as he spoke, until he was nearly shouting. As if suddenly realizing this, he turned and took several steps away from the cowboy, running a hand across his eyes.

When he turned to Blink his inflection was carefully modulated. "Look, you're trained, you know what you're doing, I get that." Jack let out a long breath. "The gun thing is my hang-up, and I don't get to tell you what to do. So I'm asking, at least leave the automatic stuff here unless you know you're gonna need it. Please." The young man clearly wasn't used to making such compromises, but his tone was sincere and held a note of apology. A brief glance in Colt's direction carried the same offering of remorse.

It was a battle hard fought. It may not have been a win, but at least it was something. He had said his peace and actually gotten somewhere with it. Now it was time to leave it alone. He had made it clear that Jack's opinions were not the only ones that mattered, and that is what he had set out to do.

When Jack turned to look at Colt, he recognized the expression. It said, "I'm sorry, but I can't." It was the look a man wore when he was fighting for what he believed in, whether or not it was right. Colt respected that. It was something he often did himself. He returned the look, with smile and a nod.

They weren't enemies, there was no reason to go to war like enemies. As long as they could both respect where the other was coming from, they could work together. Colt was confident he had gotten at least that far.

Blink had remained quiet, watching the battle over her request unfold. She wasn't quite used to people yet and had let Colt do the bulk of the arguing. As Jack seemed to back off his initial stance somewhat, she felt she should clarify herself somewhat.

"Sorry to be causing so much trouble, but am rarely using guns in city. Ak was gift from father... there weren't many dolls in Afghanistan and we had no space for toys. I was wanting to ask before bringing it in, because I will fire it in a range fairly often... it's comforting."

It was hard to explain how something like that was one of her only connections to a life that was both more simple and often times more dangerous. However, it was her childhood and there were people and places that she remembered very fondly. She had worked as hard as any of the men in her fathers outfit and when he presented her with the AK, it was one of the proudest moments of her life. Barely a day had gone by where she had not religiously cleaned and maintained the old, but reliable, weapon.

She tried to think of the last time she had fired it at someone, and guessed that it had been some time back in Russia. However, she wasn't about say so. There might be a time, and a mission, where judicious use of firepower was needed. She wasn't a person that was going to lie or make false promises so she kept silent, hoping the issue was done.

Then she turned to Grim, "if we are looking to tackle the mob, I have some knowledge of people there..."

Jack suppressed a truly epic groan, reducing it to a wince. You just gave the socially awkward girl the third degree over the army brat version of a security blanket. Smooth move, hero. He coughed to cover the awkwardness. "Mob, yeah, sounds like a place to start. If a couple of us can get in undercover, the rest can start intercepting drug deals, robberies, whatever. Beats the heck out of patrolling and hoping to get lucky."

Kristian had stayed quiet during the back-and-forth exchange about "guns in the house", wanting to see how it would play out without his input on the situation. Obviously Nadia and the cowboy had no qualms about it, nor had he, but he wanted to see where the others stood on the point.

Jack took a step closer to Colt, setting his jaw. "I don't know if they've got AK-47s over in Westworld, but 'shooting up the place' is pretty much what they're for. And if Sparky misses a punch, it doesn't fly off into the crowd. It doesn't accidentally put a good cop in a wheelchair!"

And there it is, the reason for all this heat. It wasn't hard to deduce. Outbursts like that stem from a lack of emotional discipline, and they betray your thoughts and motivations.

Listening to the "argument" wind down civilly and without coming to blows, he spoke up to his new teammates. "I think 'the Interceptors' sounds pretty cool, actually. And I like the idea of a proactive group, not waiting for crime to happen, but preventing crime from happening." He cast his eyes around the assembled heroes and all the tech-goodies in the underground base.

Walking towards the hallway Vince had designated as living quarters to stow his "hero gear" in a secure location, he spoke to the others over his should. "I'm in."

"Interceptors," Archeville repeated. "Ja... ja, I do like de sound of dat."

Camera pans to Vince, in a cheerleaders outfit. Complete with pompoms. It is hideous.

"Right," Archeville said as he clapped his hands sharply together and rose from his seat. "If you are to make de best of all dis ekvipment, you had best familiarize yourselves mit it, so dat is mein parting vord of advice for today. Check out your rooms, de gym und infirmary, everyding you vish. If you haff any qvestions, ask Vince; if he cannot answer dem, he can contact me. But dere is not much he should not be able to answer."

Epilogue, Part 1

Elsewhere in Freedom....

"We have it, fa-" a soft female voice began in a darkened, smoky office. The speaker had stopped suddenly to correct herself, then continued, "We have it, Don: the Coin of Ziocles! It shall bring death to our enemies, and life to us!"

"Good!," a deep and commanding voice replied from behind an expensive mahogany desk. "I knew those two would come in handy. Shame about all the heat they brought down on themselves for it, though. Not that they didn't deserve worse for daring to've robbed me... but, I can be a big man about it. Heh heh heh...."

Epilogue, Part 2

In another part of Freedom....

A young man was running down an alley, panicked, fearing not just for his life but for his very soul.

He had good reason to.

"Why you be runnin' form me, Jacques?" a voice oozed form the darkness. "Why you t'ink you can be runnin' from me?"

The youth stumbled, lost his balance, and toppled over. When hooked up, the one he was running from was looming above him.

"I know what you do, Jacques. Try an' play both sides o' de game -- which, normally, would be provin' me right. But it's me you try an' double-cross... an' dat! Don'! Work!" The last three words were punctuated by a trio of powerful kicks to the youth's side, which sent him flying several feet away.

Jacques, barely conscious, looked up and saw two of his friends flanking his former boss. For the briefest moment, hope fluttered in his heart: they were here to rescue him, to distract his attacker long enough for him to-

"So now I's gonna have t'set an example of you... just like I do to Tibbs an' Boo here."

The last thing Jacques remembered seeing were Tibbs' and Boo's slowly shambling towards him, and reaching for him with cold, dry hands.

Epilogue, Part 3

In yet another part of Freedom....

"Sir, the latest report from field ops are in," a strong and confident female voice echoed through a cavernous office. "Nearly a ton of 'XXVI' was confiscated in the last raids, along with three 'technicians' who made it."

"And the 'Lost Lambs'? What of them?" a powerful voice echoed back.

"Some progress, of a sort, sir," the woman replied, her voice quavering just a hair. "Two from the Main Lot have been captured by others, and are being held in custody now. But there is good reason to expect the 'Lead Goat' to break them out."

"Hrm... make sure they do not escape before that happens."

The woman nodded, then sharply turned and walked out.

"Soon, my Dark Lord," the voice echoed, "soon...."

~fin~